ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo

Nov 11, 2002
I have been sitting here reading the posts and felt I needed to make a comment although I rarely do. No one could be more upset about the way IU is playing than I am. But to rip on Romeo Langford because he had a rough day today the way you have is disgusting. He is a freshman kid not a pro making big money. He has parents who if they read this can only wish he would’ve gone anywhere but here. I’m sure the new recruits are impressed too. If you think this is going to help this program get better you are mistaken. Many comments on here make the Purdue posters look good. Obviously when you grow up and have kids of your own you will be less vocal.

I have been sitting here reading the posts and felt I needed to make a comment although I rarely do. No one could be more upset about the way IU is playing than I am. But to rip on Romeo Langford because he had a rough day today the way you have is disgusting. He is a freshman kid not a pro making big money. He has parents who if they read this can only wish he would’ve gone anywhere but here. I’m sure the new recruits are impressed too. If you think this is going to help this program get better you are mistaken. Many comments on here make the Purdue posters look good. Obviously when you grow up and have kids of your own you will be less vocal.
I totally agree with you if the recruits are looking at this why would they even consider iu to play basketball ball some people on here should just keep it to themselves

How do you know Purdue posters aren't coming on here disguised as IU fans berating IU players? Look, PU fans are classless wanna be types, they will try anything if it might hurt IU.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Romeo has been very very good for a freshman. It is unfair to expect him to "carry IU on his back". Almost laughable really. But what bothers fans is all the talk of NBA this or that and lottery pick nonsense.

The truth is, if Romeo is a lottery pick then it will either be because he plays much better the rest of the season, or because the NBA simply takes players on potential- which would be a really good reason to stop recruiting 5-star kids.

If Romeo is as good as his press clippings and what thd NBA scouts think, today should benefit his development. Nojel is the very rare collegiate player that can defend Romeo one on one and expose his weaknesses. Great players use adversity to improve. Romeo is a freshman and deserves the space to occasionally play !ike one.

Good points all but Langford doesn't impress me as ready for the NBA. A very good player but too much standing around and he hasn't shown he can impose his will one on one with other very good players. Work in progress is how I would describe him. He reminds me of Isiah Thomas. First year you could see he was good but it took the second year for him to flex and impose his will on the game and who he was playing against. (yeah I know Thomas from when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. I'm that old call me Grog)

You guys are crazy...Romeo is going to be very good in the NBA.
The dude can score. He takes it to the rim often.
He’s 6-6, scoring in multiple ways vs teams that are making him the focus of their defense.
In NBA everyone stands around...its mostly 1-1 defense...
Romeo will get rich quick and make NBA money for as long as his health allows.

He’s 6-6, scoring in multiple ways vs teams that are making him the focus of their defense.

He got completely shut down yesterday by a sizeable defender. He doesn't shoot well outside, particularly when he is open. There are a lot of things to work on. No one doubts his talent but people are talking the difference between "freshman inconsistency" and "NBA lottery pick". Those two things are very contrasting. You can't be both.

I'm still riding his train.
But he needs some games that wow us. Like like put us on his back for two conference wins..
And if you don't think other message boards call out player's..
Check out Tar Heel Radar

First and Foremost, the NBA always drafts on potential!!! That is why kids leave early so they don't have their games picked apart. Here is a list of players drafted in the range that Romeo is projected to go, and they were all drafted on "potential": Beasley, Mayo, Thabeet, Flynn, Udoh, Vesely, Biyombo, Walters, Robinson, Barnes, Bennett, Len, Noel, McLemore, Parker, Randle, Stauskas, Russell, Okafor, Mudiay, Dunn, Fultz, and Ball.

Yep. The sad fact is, we get the flawed young Romeo for a year, and have to live with the warts in his game, which if he fixes, he'll be an NBA All-Star for many years to come, while we can only think of what might have been.

He got completely shut down yesterday by a sizeable defender. He doesn't shoot well outside, particularly when he is open. There are a lot of things to work on. No one doubts his talent but people are talking the difference between "freshman inconsistency" and "NBA lottery pick". Those two things are very contrasting. You can't be both.
the first thing he should work on is his shooting technique. he takes the ball above and even a little behind his head. this forces him to unhinge the elbow like a catapult motion. this is one more variable/moving part to control. he now has to use this extra motion with the exact same amount of force every time. it also greatly increases the time it takes to get off his shot. in shooting, the less moving parts the better. ball should come up, above the forehead, and then out toward the basket. send romeo to my driveway and i'll fix him up

Last edited:
How do you know Purdue posters aren't coming on here disguised as IU fans berating IU players? Look, PU fans are classless wanna be types, they will try anything if it might hurt IU.

No less than ten of them opened accounts yesterday evening to attack Romeo, me and others.

Reactions: echs86
Romeo has been very very good for a freshman. It is unfair to expect him to "carry IU on his back". Almost laughable really. But what bothers fans is all the talk of NBA this or that and lottery pick nonsense.

The truth is, if Romeo is a lottery pick then it will either be because he plays much better the rest of the season, or because the NBA simply takes players on potential- which would be a really good reason to stop recruiting 5-star kids.
I have to respectfully disagree. You take every 5* player that you can. I don't want to be Purdue and play for the B1G regular season. I'd much rather be Duke, ranked #1, with 5* talent playing for the National Title. Duke is a blueblood with National Titles. Purdue is not. Don't be Purdue.

Reactions: BigMobe and fpeaugh
the first thing he should work on is his shooting technique. he takes the ball above and even a little behind his head. this forces him to unhinge the elbow like a catapult motion. this is one more variable moving part to control. he now has to use this extra motion with the exact same amount of force every time. it also greatly increases the time it takes to get off his shot. in shooting, the less moving parts the better. ball should come up, above the forehead, and then out toward the basket. send romeo to my driveway and i'll fix him up

Yes. RL still has a "hitch" in the shooting slot. That will be worked though next summer I am sure.

Yep. The sad fact is, we get the flawed young Romeo for a year, and have to live with the warts in his game, which if he fixes, he'll be an NBA All-Star for many years to come, while we can only think of what might have been.
Romeo has NBA All-Star potential.

Reactions: fpeaugh
There’s not a lot flawed about a guy averaging almost 20 ppg in the Big Ten.

This is why I always say we need more than one stud per class. We need 3-4 Romeos most year, not 1.

I have to respectfully disagree. You take every 5* player that you can. I don't want to be Purdue and play for the B1G regular season. I'd much rather be Duke, ranked #1, with 5* talent playing for the National Title. Duke is a blueblood with National Titles. Purdue is not. Don't be Purdue.

But there is a massive difference between RJ/Zion and Romeo in my opinion. The first two are unquestionably ready for the NBA.

But I can't disagree that Archie has done a great job getting the top players in the state talent wise to try to establish IU recruiting. It is a tough situation because how the heck do you get better if you don't return guys to your program? It is a tough situation.

Well after the Nebraska game a future players mother was talking about how they will need to get thick sin next ear because how brutal the fans were being. Then Keion brooks mother chimed in BOUT IT SO SOME OF YOU FANS MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU TWEET IF YOU WANT TO KEEP GETTING THE BEST PLAYERS.

Reactions: alishedobbs
I would rather be Villanova who gets mainly 4 star players and a few 5 stars who stay at least 3 years. Also UNC gets these types of players who stay longer than one year and have done well.

Reactions: IndySouthsider
Well after the Nebraska game a future players mother was talking about how they will need to get thick sin next ear because how brutal the fans were being. Then Keion brooks mother chimed in BOUT IT SO SOME OF YOU FANS MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU TWEET IF YOU WANT TO KEEP GETTING THE BEST PLAYERS.

IU doesn't want primadonnas. Not sure whom she is referencing but "best players" is as best players does. Oladipo is in that category.

I would strongly urge anyone associated with the team directly to stay off of social media interactions. IU has like a million rabid followers, it isn't something a mother would want to hear, I wouldn't think. Not any moreso than being in a Bob Knight locker room, for example.

The freshmen have done a good job this aeason. Romeo and Phinisee have done a fantastic job.

IU doesn't want primadonnas. Not sure whom she is referencing but "best players" is as best players does. Oladipo is in that category.

I would strongly urge anyone associated with the team directly to stay off of social media interactions. IU has like a million rabid followers, it isn't something a mother would want to hear, I wouldn't think. Not any moreso than being in a Bob Knight locker room, for example.

Who on the team is a primadonna?

There’s not a lot flawed about a guy averaging almost 20 ppg in the Big Ten.

This is why I always say we need more than one stud per class. We need 3-4 Romeos most year, not 1.

yeah, he scores, and he's a great scorer. But, if you have watched him play and you don't see flaws, well, you have an agenda (and of course, you do!) or aren't very astute. Free throws (yes, he's improved, but still crucial misses)? 3 pt shooting... which we desperately need and would help to open things up even more for JM and JS; and most of all, he's just very unaware on the defensive end. Not a good help defender at all, and while he's pretty good 1 on 1 with his man, he never pressures him or makes him uncomfortable, which he could really do w a 7' wingspan. Totally blew me away (and I'm sure made Miles smile) vs NB at the end of the game when we need the ball, that he was in his defensive stance 8' off his man letting precious seconds tick off the clock, while his man happily stayed there and watched.

yeah, he scores, and he's a great scorer. But, if you have watched him play and you don't see flaws, well, you have an agenda (and of course, you do!) or aren't very astute. Free throws (yes, he's improved, but still crucial misses)? 3 pt shooting... which we desperately need and would help to open things up even more for JM and JS; and most of all, he's just very unaware on the defensive end. Not a good help defender at all, and while he's pretty good 1 on 1 with his man, he never pressures him or makes him uncomfortable, which he could really do w a 7' wingspan. Totally blew me away (and I'm sure made Miles smile) vs NB at the end of the game when we need the ball, that he was in his defensive stance 8' off his man letting precious seconds tick off the clock, while his man happily stayed there and watched.
If you’re saying he’s not perfect then yes I agree. What player is?

If you’re saying he can improve then sure, I agree.

But stop with the agenda that he’s not very good just because he didn’t live up to YOUR unrealistic expectations.

You are right if you think that he has a lot to learn and has room to grow as freshman do. The biggest problem I see with his game is that he spends too much time on the wing waiting for the ball to swing to him. Also he needs to shoot more. He should never shoot under 15 shots with his ability to score.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
If you’re saying he’s not perfect then yes I agree. What player is?

If you’re saying he can improve then sure, I agree.

But stop with the agenda that he’s not very good just because he didn’t live up to YOUR unrealistic expectations.

Never said that, I said we get to live with a flawed Romeo (primarily the 3 pt shooting), that I'm confident he'll correct because of his ability and work ethic. Unfortunately it won't be this year for us, and we'll see him regularly drilling NBA 3s for the next 10+ years, while he struggled with his 3 pt shooting during his 1 year of playing for IU. How is that an agenda? You don't agree? He's shooting 23% from 3... I don't see how there's even an argument.... unless you have an agenda.

Romeo has NBA All-Star potential.

Romeo is a really good kid, with considerable physical talent & skills.

The free-flowing NBA seems really conducive to his skill set. So I do see him having NBA AS potential. He will play many years and make lots of $. A hell of a lot more than players who are better college players than him.

That said, I'll be surprised if he's ever considered one of the top 6-7 players in the NBA at a given time.

How many 'all-timers' have you seen that didn't have an absolute passion for the game & for winning? Guys like James, Curry, Jordan, Bird, Magic, I. Thomas, Shaq, Malone had that. I didn't see it from Romeo at the HS level, and don't see it from him at the college level.

That being said, tweeting negative comments about players is beyond the pail.

Romeo is a really good kid, with considerable physical talent & skills.

The free-flowing NBA seems really conducive to his skill set. So I do see him having NBA AS potential. He will play many years and make lots of $. A hell of a lot more than players who are better college players than him.

That said, I'll be surprised if he's ever considered one of the top 6-7 players in the NBA at a given time.

How many 'all-timers' have you seen that didn't have an absolute passion for the game & for winning? Guys like James, Curry, Jordan, Bird, Magic, I. Thomas, Shaq, Malone had that. I didn't see it from Romeo at the HS level, and don't see it from him at the college level.

That being said, tweeting negative comments about players is beyond the pail.

Nobody knows. Kawhi and Anthony Davis go quietly about their business as much as they can. Well, Kawhi had a blip last season but he looks as much as a top 5 player as anyone. Dirk had a HOF career and suspect he made it as a top 6-7 player a few times. He even doubted he culd hang with NBA layers when he came into the league. I suspect that romeo might be better as a pro when he is just another guy.

Right now, I think defenses are clamping down on him. Until somebody else besides Morgan steps up that will continue to be the case. Same thing happened to Trae young last year iin the big 12. Young kept firing away but his games was often very inefficient

Nobody knows. Kawhi and Anthony Davis go quietly about their business as much as they can. Well, Kawhi had a blip last season but he looks as much as a top 5 player as anyone. Dirk had a HOF career and suspect he made it as a top 6-7 player a few times. He even doubted he could hang with NBA layers when he came into the league. I suspect that romeo might be better as a pro when he is just another guy.

Right now, I think defenses are clamping down on him. Until somebody else besides Morgan steps up that will continue to be the case. Same thing happened to Trae young last year iin the big 12. Young kept firing away but his games was often very inefficient

Trae Young is an interesting example. He was inefficient at the college level and is showing that same inefficiency at the pro level in Atlanta.

The Purdue game was interesting in that Romeo was guarded by a player with very good athleticism and was long. He got shut down and had trouble finishing against some of Purdue's more athletic bigs.

While Romeo is very smooth, I'm not sure that he's a super-explosive athlete. And being 6'6" allows him to finish easily in high school and in most college games. I'll be interested to see how well he can finish in the NBA.

I would be surprised if Romeo were ever among the top players in the NBA. I see him as a smooth player who will excel in the mid-range game (perhaps eventually adding a solid 3-point shot to his game).

Do you see Romeo being better than Gordon in the NBA? I'm not seeing it right now, but I'll admit to being far from an expert.

Trae Young is an interesting example. He was inefficient at the college level and is showing that same inefficiency at the pro level in Atlanta.

The Purdue game was interesting in that Romeo was guarded by a player with very good athleticism and was long. He got shut down and had trouble finishing against some of Purdue's more athletic bigs.

While Romeo is very smooth, I'm not sure that he's a super-explosive athlete. And being 6'6" allows him to finish easily in high school and in most college games. I'll be interested to see how well he can finish in the NBA.

I would be surprised if Romeo were ever among the top players in the NBA. I see him as a smooth player who will excel in the mid-range game (perhaps eventually adding a solid 3-point shot to his game).

Do you see Romeo being better than Gordon in the NBA? I'm not seeing it right now, but I'll admit to being far from an expert.
Yes, Romeo has a skillset that translates better than Gordon. How it works out for Romeo depends on who drafts him, how he fits onto an exosting roster at his position, and his inner drive, which does not have to be visble or demonstrative.

Like you, I'm not a big NBA guy, so anyone can call bs and I won't take it personally.........however, my guess is Romeo will have an NBA career along the lines of Calbert Cheaney.......CC was the 6th overall pick out of college......highest scoring avg. for a season in the NBA was 16.6......averaged 9+ for his career.

CC was a great middle-range and stop and pop jump shooter.....similar to RL

I would guess RL would do a little more at the NBA level because he takes it to the basket more than RL (more flexible physically than CC was) and handles the ball in the open court a lot more than did CC.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
the first thing he should work on is his shooting technique. he takes the ball above and even a little behind his head. this forces him to unhinge the elbow like a catapult motion. this is one more variable/moving part to control. he now has to use this extra motion with the exact same amount of force every time. it also greatly increases the time it takes to get off his shot. in shooting, the less moving parts the better. ball should come up, above the forehead, and then out toward the basket. send romeo to my driveway and i'll fix him up

The greatest shooter of all time shot this way....... .... ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT