ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo

My first thought too but didn't post Larry Bird shot from behind his head
larry bird shot with two hands as was not even close to being the best shooter of all-time. he must be thinking of someone else. i don't have any idea what you are thinking. lol

Like you, I'm not a big NBA guy, so anyone can call bs and I won't take it personally.........however, my guess is Romeo will have an NBA career along the lines of Calbert Cheaney.......CC was the 6th overall pick out of college......highest scoring avg. for a season in the NBA was 16.6......averaged 9+ for his career.

CC was a great middle-range and stop and pop jump shooter.....similar to RL

I would guess RL would do a little more at the NBA level because he takes it to the basket more than RL (more flexible physically than CC was) and handles the ball in the open court a lot more than did CC.
Romeo has more talent that translates to the NBA.

He got completely shut down yesterday by a sizeable defender. He doesn't shoot well outside, particularly when he is open. There are a lot of things to work on. No one doubts his talent but people are talking the difference between "freshman inconsistency" and "NBA lottery pick". Those two things are very contrasting. You can't be both.
Yes you can. Just as in a business, you hire based on long term potential to excel. Romeo is the B1G's top NBA talent.

Romeo has more talent that translates to the NBA.
I like watching the NBA better than college basketball in 2019, this wasn't always the case, as the top players do not stay in college long today. And if the NBA allows the top HS players to go directly to the league then the college game will be similar to the G-League in a diluted 2nd tier talent pool of developing athletes, only with better coaches and a more fun college atmosphere. For the same reason the NFL is more fun to watch than college football, and MLB is more fun to watch than college baseball. It is entertaining to watch the best players in the world play on the biggest stage, against other top players.

Last edited:
How do you know Purdue posters aren't coming on here disguised as IU fans berating IU players? Look, PU fans are classless wanna be types, they will try anything if it might hurt IU.
I think we have plenty of our own. Care less about Purdue.

I likecwatching the NBA bettercthsn college badketball, as the top players do not stay in college long, and if NBA akliws the top HS players to go directly to the league then the colkege game will be similar to the G-League in talent pool with better coaches and a college atmosphere.
No it won't because it did not hurt when they let the kids go straight to the NBA. I think it makes the college game more enjoyable because the one and done rule is hurting the game. Also I can really watch the NBA game because it is boring to me because the atmosphere is so sterile.

No it won't because it did not hurt when they let the kids go straight to the NBA. I think it makes the college game more enjoyable because the one and done rule is hurting the game. Also I can really watch the NBA game because it is boring to me because the atmosphere is so sterile.
I enjoy watching the top players in the world. You dilute the takent pool and the product will suffer and will be much like watching the G-League with the occasional late developing player making it to the league. The college game will have a great atmosphere, but with a watered down exhibition on the court. It will be hard to get excited about a player that will likely never play a minute of NBA Basketball. HS Basketball will be more exciting than college as you will still be able to watch potential future NBA stars in action on the court.

The one and done rule is currently helping the college game. In the future Zion Williamsons and Romeo Langfords will never play a minute of college basketball, and the college game will definitely suffer as a result. When the Indiana High School Mr. Basketball no longer plays college basketball then college basketball will be much less exciting to watch.

I enjoy watching the top players in the world. You dilute the takent pool and the product will suffer and will be much like watching the G-League with the occasional late developing player making it to the league. The college game will have a great atmosphere, but with a watered down exhibition on the court. It will be hard to get excited about a player that will likely never play a minute of NBA Basketball. HS Basketball will be more exciting than college as you will still be able to watch potential future NBA stars in action on the court.
I guess we will agree to disagree on this topic. To me letting kids go straight to the NBA hurts the NBA way more than it hurts the college game because you have to give roster spots to kids who are not even close to being ready to play. There might be 3-5 players a year that can compete at that level and the rest will spend a few year sitting on the end of the bench or playing in the G- League

The one and done rule is currently helping the college game. In the future Zion Williamsons and Romeo Langfords will never play a minute of college basketball, and the college game will definitely suffer as a result. When the Indiana High School Mr. Basketball no longer plays college basketball then college basketball will be much less exciting to watch.
I couldn't care less if the Zion's of the world ever plays a minute of college basketball because I would rather have college basketball be played by actual college students. I want players here you have a vested interest on the success of the program and not kids who are here a year because they have to.

Like you, I'm not a big NBA guy, so anyone can call bs and I won't take it personally.........however, my guess is Romeo will have an NBA career along the lines of Calbert Cheaney.......CC was the 6th overall pick out of college......highest scoring avg. for a season in the NBA was 16.6......averaged 9+ for his career.

CC was a great middle-range and stop and pop jump shooter.....similar to RL

I would guess RL would do a little more at the NBA level because he takes it to the basket more than RL (more flexible physically than CC was) and handles the ball in the open court a lot more than did CC.
Romeo is a higher level NBA talent than Calbert was.

Reactions: echs86
I couldn't care less if the Zion's of the world ever plays a minute of college basketball because I would rather have college basketball be played by actual college students. I want players here you have a vested interest on the success of the program and not kids who are here a year because they have to.
So is IUPUI more fun to watch than The Celtics, Warriors, Pacers, Lakers, Bucks, Rockets? No. Not even in the same galaxy.

Reality is you need more than 2 great players. IU has had 2 great players on a lot of rosters but the only time you are great is when you have about 4 great players or 9-10 really good players. It's why recruiting high end 4 stars that will have to stick around for 3-4 years is a must. Getting Romeo's are great and necessary to fill gaps but using him as one of the only 2 players carrying a team is not going to be a formula for dominance. This kid has done everything we could ask of from himself personally.

Reactions: ufo33
Purdue has that formula now, and I don't enjoy watching them. I would much rather watch Duke and Zion. I'd pay $5 to watch Purdue play, i'd pay scalpers prices to watch Zion in person. It's like comparing watching an out of tune lounge singer or watching Whitney Houston or Christina Aguillera.

Last edited:
So is IUPUI more fun to watch than The Celtics, Warriors, Pacers, Lakers, Bucks, Rockets? No. Not even in the same galaxy.
Yes I would rather watch them than the NBA. I love watching the small conference tournaments because of the cheer joy those kids are playing. I don't just watch basketball for the great athletic ability and the great players because basketball is more to me. To me the game of basketball was at its best when the Zion's of the world stayed 3 or 4 years because it helped both the college and NBA game.

I will watch the Pacers if thee is no other games I want to watch but I just can't sit down and watch more than a few minutes of any other NBA game. Once the college season starts I watch less and less of the Pacers games because I am more interested in the college game.

Purdue has that formula now, and I don't enjoy watching them. I would much rather watch Duke and Zion. I'd pay $5 to watch Purdue play, i'd pay scalpers prices to watch Zion in person. Its like comparing watching an outvof tune bar band singer or Whitney Houston.
Good for you but I take the college game any day and for that matter the high school game.

Also I have been to many NCAA Tournament games and many NBA playoff games and if I had to only choose one to go to I would pick the NCAA Tournament any day of the week

Also I have been to many NCAA Tournament games and many NBA playoff games and if I had to only choose one to go to I would pick the NCAA Tournament any day of the week
With less talent in the future in the college game, you will have a great atmosphere with a lower quality game on the court. Cool Rah Rah Fun Atmosphere with 2nd tier players vs Higher Quality of Play with the best players in the world.

Wichita State vs Purdue at Dayton Regional or Pacers vs Celtics at Banker's Life Fieldhouse, I would choose the NBA Playoff game every time.

Wichita State vs Purdue at Dayton Regional or Pacers vs Celtics at Banker's Life Fieldhouse, I would choose the NBA Playoff game every time.
I was at game 3 of last years playoffs with the Pacers and Cavs and it was great but I would take the game I saw where Princeton upset UCLA in the first round. I was at game 3 where the Pacers swept Orlando to win the Pacers first ever playoff series but would take the tournament.
Like I said it did not hurt the college game at all when the kids could go straight to the NBA and if they change the rule it won't hurt it either

I guess we will agree to disagree on this topic. To me letting kids go straight to the NBA hurts the NBA way more than it hurts the college game because you have to give roster spots to kids who are not even close to being ready to play. There might be 3-5 players a year that can compete at that level and the rest will spend a few year sitting on the end of the bench or playing in the G- League
I would rather have the top HS players playing a year or more in college than get Drafted by the NBA and go straight to the G-League to develop and get called-up or go the NBA when they are ready. I'd like to see them develop in college as opposed to the (new/revamped) higher paying G-League true NBA Minors system.

I was at game 3 of last years playoffs with the Pacers and Cavs and it was great but I would take the game I saw where Princeton upset UCLA in the first round. I was at game 3 where the Pacers swept Orlando to win the Pacers first ever playoff series but would take the tournament.
Like I said it did not hurt the college game at all when the kids could go straight to the NBA and if they change the rule it won't hurt it either
In 2021 going forward I'm afraid it will be much different soon. Back then you were talking 1 to 3 HS kids going to the NBA. What if it was the entire McD All-American Team. Top 25 to 30 talents every year, future NBA All-Stars opting to go straight to the NBA/G-Lesgue minor league? Princeton will have the same lineup but any All-American that UCLA had then may not be playing in college basketball in the future, certainly not for 3 or 4 years. If they strike down the One-And-Done rule, this time the G-League is poised to be an NBA Minor League option, that it wasn't when Princeton upset UCLA.

Last edited:
I would rather have the top HS players playing a year or more in college than get Drafted by the NBA and go straight to the G-League to develop and get called-up or go the NBA when they are ready. I'd like to see them develop in college as opposed to the (new/revamped) higher paying G-League true NBA Minors system.
So would I but if not I would rather them have the MLB rule where you can go straight to the NBA or you have to stay at least 3 years in college.

Yep. The sad fact is, we get the flawed young Romeo for a year, and have to live with the warts in his game, which if he fixes, he'll be an NBA All-Star for many years to come, while we can only think of what might have been.

I'm pretty sure everybody involved in his recruiting as well as the fans KNEW Romeo would be a one and done? I hate the system that allows one and done, or rather doesn't allow HS graduates to get drafted if they so please. They can go fight in Afghanistan no problem, but we don't dare let them go play in the NBA before they are mature enough. But the system is what it is and he's a one year rental with hopes he could help take the team far THIS YEAR.

I'm pretty sure everybody involved in his recruiting as well as the fans KNEW Romeo would be a one and done? I hate the system that allows one and done, or rather doesn't allow HS graduates to get drafted if they so please. They can go fight in Afghanistan no problem, but we don't dare let them go play in the NBA before they are mature enough. But the system is what it is and he's a one year rental with hopes he could help take the team far THIS YEAR.

Sure we did, although I expected him to be a better 3pt shooter and more consistent on FTs. Not a factor to me and I think the NBA is within their rights to establish a minimum age or educational requirement to play in their league if they choose to. I'm fine if they go straight to the NBA, I'm fine if they make them wait a year of 3. I'm going to support IU bball and probably continue to care very little about the NBA, regardless if a few kids each year can go straight there, or attend a year of 2 of college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT