ADVERTISEMENT

Roe overturned. Be kind

This is what this is supposed to be about. It will be made into a states rights debate. Already started with the second amendment. They struck down the NY gun law stating states don’t have the right to infringe but struck down Roe vs wade stating it is handled by the states.

The SC merely said the issue is up to the citizens and their elected representatives. Did we stop electing Reps and Senators?

Edit to add: I don't think there will be a national ban b/c Congress is too lazy to do any f*cking work anyway.
You are correct - the US Congress could pass a law.

And what are the odds of a nation-wide ban passed by the US Congress and signed by the President.

So does this essentially over turn any of those "personal freedom" rulings that the 14th is the basis of? IANAL so I have no idea if any exist but id have to think if they do they are all in jeopardy now.

I would think a great deal of rulings are just based on interpretations of the constitution.

Again I don't know. I am honestly just asking questions to the lawyers here.

True they do. However on an internet message, where you know what I meant, its not a big deal. Just argue the point.
Evidently I didn't know what you meant, because you didn't say it correctly.

You need to take it up with the Grammar Police - @Bowlmania

Well, dudes on message boards typically don't have a lot of luck with women (in my limited experience), but I know that's not always true because I'm here and most certainly buck that trend ;)
Limited was his key word. Limited = His right hand after a night out.

• Haha
Reactions: Ohio Guy
You are correct - the US Congress could pass a law.

And what are the odds of a nation-wide ban passed by the US Congress and signed by the President.
Like I said. Unlikely for a million of the usual reasons Congress dithers

Reactions: Ohio Guy and DANC
The second amendment is pretty clear in the constitution. Nowhere does it mention abortion. So the federal government does not have the right to make any decision regarding it unless and until the constitution is amended.

If women do not wish to get pregnant aren't there ways to prevent it? As much as it pains me to say it both my daughters were on birth control so such things do not happen. If women wish to not have any more children aren't there procedures they can have done to prevent it? I'm looking for solutions to how women can become safer while still getting their groove on.
I agree, but the wife thinks all the men should get a vasectomy, so the ladies don't have to worry about birth control.

Heard this a million times, "Men have it easy".

Yes, with the ruling today, I can confidently say a national ban is completely off the table. The SC just ruled abortion is a state decision. Do you not realize that?

I didn't have any 'blue letters'. But evidently you missed my point that Pence is not a decision maker in this matter.
As you and lars were discussing, today's ruling didn't push a national ban off the table.

And while Pence didn't issue an edict, he isn't on an island in targeting a national ban. Ardent anti-choice advocates aren't washing their hands of this issue.

The second amendment is pretty clear in the constitution. Nowhere does it mention abortion. So the federal government does not have the right to make any decision regarding it unless and until the constitution is amended.
Oh man - I hate to break it to you, but if we're going to work on the standard of laws/issues having to be strictly mentioned in the Constitution to be ratified, there are a lot of laws that need to come off the books.

This.

If the S.Ct. thought they were "settling" anything with this decision, they are wrong. Their entire docket for the next decade just got populated with cases like you suggest above.
I don’t think they had judicial efficiency in mind with this decision. Nor should they have.

Reactions: DANC
I agree, but the wife thinks all the men should get a vasectomy, so the ladies don't have to worry about birth control.

Seriously. Think about it. I smell a business opportunity.

Have men provide specimens which are then frozen and used at a later date for insemination. Get 100 who cares. It's DUDES. Remember they're going to PAY for this service. Bring in pros as "helpers". Bring the girlfriend, bring the wife.

Freeze the specimens and then, once there's enough, snip snip.

Boom. Profit.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

That is fine, do they want a man to wear a Scarlet V to indicate the safe ones to get freaky with or just be like the first question you ask on a date?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Ask for your tuition money back. 'Settled law' does not mean it can't be overturned. It doesn't mean they agreed with it.

Perjury? lmfao
In his 2017 confirmation hearing, Gorsuch said Roe was “a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court” and claimed that he “would have walked out the door” if Trump had asked him to overturn Roe v. Wade because “that’s not what judges do.”
“Once a case is settled, that adds to the determinacy of the law,” Gorsuch said then. “What was once a hotly contested issue is no longer a hotly contested issue. We move forward.”

Reactions: Bill4411

We aren’t far from birth control pills for men. The vasectomy argument is kind of invalid because it’s a medical procedure. The problem with all this is the choices aren’t equal and never will be. This is the reason the debate hasn’t been settled.

Reactions: hoot1
Will that include the mostly-peaceful protesters who break into a store and steal all of their fleece jackets?
Yes, yes it will ... because it makes total sense. What a wonderfully complex mind you have ..

This was a dumb decision. Roe was a dumb decision based on bad science. This was a bad decision based on dumb science and selective reading of the law. Both decisions sucked. The right of privacy is a fine thing. It has existed under different names for well over a century. Make no mistake about it, this decision was a religious one. We can trace back from english common law, through the puritans here, etc that Abortion was largely commonplace--not through surgery but through herbs, etc. It wasn't until 1820 did we star seeing full fledged abortion prohibitions.

That being said, like everything else in this country, the failure of the democrats and republicans to compromise on this issue has created the monster that we see today.

60% or more of the American public want to permit some level of abortion, yet we will never see national abortion law and we will never see it where every state allows for abortion.

I'm not a big abortion guy. I don't like it as a birth control deal. This decision is scary because it implies that the minute of fertilization you cannot end whatever exists in several states. It is a short two putt to what Justice Thomas really wants to do: Get rid of gay marriages, get rid of Griswold (contraceptives), get rid of bowers vs hardwick (sodomy or male sexual activity with another male). That's pretty scary stuff. Of course one of those cases that the supreme court decided that Thomas did not mention was Loving, which is the constitutional right to have an interracial marriage. Why does not get to stand if the others don't? All relates to privacy.

Issues like these are never black and white and nobody should be beholden wearing the same jersey every game. That 14 year old girl from Louisiana or Mississippi that gets raped can no longer have an abortion. The little girl from oklahoma whose uncle got her pregnant can't go to another state to have an abortion because it is criminalized and then has a bounty hunter provision. Well, good luck with the legality of that one, because the the full faith and credit mandate says Oklahoma has to back off. Either way, there will be more litigation. And more litigation. And if the life of the mother is in danger because of the child in the womb, that mother no longer has a constitutional right to end her pregnancy. Doctor's can't make that decision or be potentially subject to criminal action. Is that what we want to see? You think some woman who is dying can fly to California in time to save her life? These specific issue is going to come back to the Supreme Court in the next two years. And they will say there is no right. Is that what we want to see in America? I don't want it to be abortion on demand either, but Roe was a 7-2 decision with a republican majority, with the dissent coming from Dem. White and Rep Renquist.

If you aren't seeing the consequences of this decision and what it impacts, then I feel sorry for you. This is a bad day with a terrible trickle down impact that sets up some bad things to happen legally.

In his 2017 confirmation hearing, Gorsuch said Roe was “a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court” and claimed that he “would have walked out the door” if Trump had asked him to overturn Roe v. Wade because “that’s not what judges do.”
“Once a case is settled, that adds to the determinacy of the law,” Gorsuch said then. “What was once a hotly contested issue is no longer a hotly contested issue. We move forward.”
The whole quote-
“Gorsuch also stated that the Trump administration never asked him to make promises to rule certain ways on certain decisions.

Asked specifically by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, if he was asked by the president to overturn Roe v. Wade, Gorsuch said no.

He was further pressed on what he would have done if Trump had asked him to do so.

“Senator, I would have walked out the door,” Gorsuch said, as the room fell silent. “That’s not what judges do. They don’t do it at that end of Pennsylvania Avenue and they shouldn’t do it at this end either.”

The question was what Gorsuch would do if Trump asked him to rule in a certain way on a specific issue.

He gave a completely rational answer.

This was a dumb decision. Roe was a dumb decision based on bad science. This was a bad decision based on dumb science and selective reading of the law. Both decisions sucked. The right of privacy is a fine thing. It has existed under different names for well over a century. Make no mistake about it, this decision was a religious one. We can trace back from english common law, through the puritans here, etc that Abortion was largely commonplace--not through surgery but through herbs, etc. It wasn't until 1820 did we star seeing full fledged abortion prohibitions.

That being said, like everything else in this country, the failure of the democrats and republicans to compromise on this issue has created the monster that we see today.

60% or more of the American public want to permit some level of abortion, yet we will never see national abortion law and we will never see it where every state allows for abortion.

I'm not a big abortion guy. I don't like it as a birth control deal. This decision is scary because it implies that the minute of fertilization you cannot end whatever exists in several states. It is a short two putt to what Justice Thomas really wants to do: Get rid of gay marriages, get rid of Griswold (contraceptives), get rid of bowers vs hardwick (sodomy or male sexual activity with another male). That's pretty scary stuff. Of course one of those cases that the supreme court decided that Thomas did not mention was Loving, which is the constitutional right to have an interracial marriage. Why does not get to stand if the others don't? All relates to privacy.

Issues like these are never black and white and nobody should be beholden wearing the same jersey every game. That 14 year old girl from Louisiana or Mississippi that gets raped can no longer have an abortion. The little girl from oklahoma whose uncle got her pregnant can't go to another state to have an abortion because it is criminalized and then has a bounty hunter provision. Well, good luck with the legality of that one, because the the full faith and credit mandate says Oklahoma has to back off. Either way, there will be more litigation. And more litigation. And if the life of the mother is in danger because of the child in the womb, that mother no longer has a constitutional right to end her pregnancy. Doctor's can't make that decision or be potentially subject to criminal action. Is that what we want to see? You think some woman who is dying can fly to California in time to save her life? These specific issue is going to come back to the Supreme Court in the next two years. And they will say there is no right. Is that what we want to see in America? I don't want it to be abortion on demand either, but Roe was a 7-2 decision with a republican majority, with the dissent coming from Dem. White and Rep Renquist.

If you aren't seeing the consequences of this decision and what it impacts, then I feel sorry for you. This is a bad day with a terrible trickle down impact that sets up some bad things to happen legally.
Yes. Decades of partisanship has screwed up another issue.

The whole quote-

The question was what Gorsuch would do if Trump asked him to rule in a certain way on a specific issue.

He gave a completely rational answer.

The above quoted language requires no context.

• Haha
But what does the 2nd Amendment mean? Many states in the early 1800s had laws making concealed carry illegal.

In the antebellum period, several states had laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons. 7 5 Ohio's language is fairly typical: "[W]hoever shall carry a weapon or weapons, concealed on or about his person, such as a pistol, bowie knife, dirk, or any other dangerous weapon, shall be deemed guilty.' '1​
...​
Indeed, Virginia's legislature was so concerned with concealed weapons that the application of the state's ban on the weapons was rather broad. In Virginia, it was against the law for a person to "habitually or generally keep or carry about his person any pistol, dirk, bowie knife, or any other weapon of the like kind.., hidden or concealed from common observation."'8 ° Under the Virginia law, if a person was tried for "murder or felony" and used a concealed weapon to commit the murder or felony, he could still be charged under the concealed weapon law, even if the jury acquitted him of the murder or felony because of self-defense. 8' A second wave of more restrictive regulations went even further, prohibiting the sale of concealed weapons. An 1837 Georgia law criminalized the sale of concealed weapons, effectively moving toward the complete prohibition of this class of weapon."' A similar statute was enacted by Tennessee in 1838.183 The Supreme Court of Tennessee upheld the law, declaring that "the Legislature intended to abolish these most dangerous weapons entirely from use.""​

For some reason when we look at what the founders meant when they wrote the 2nd amendment we immediately ignore all the laws that were passed. Scalia said we could look at the laws of the first 100 years, why aren't these laws considered? Did the court yesterday in any way mention them?

We have taken the amendment far afield of what the states thought it meant in 1800. Boston had a law at that time making storing a loaded weapon in your home illegal. Any chance that law gets approved today?
At that point in our history, the 2nd amendment was as established as it has been after 230 years. States and cities at that time were still in the mode of thinking they had supremacy in law over the Constitution. You can't just cherry pick laws and say see even the founders didn't say ... We have to consider laws in their entirety not just a brief time in their history.

Does a zygote get a social security card?
I don't think zygote means what you think IE definition is "From the moment two cells exist up until the 8th week of gestation, the development of the embryo takes place. At this stage, intense cellular changes occur. Once the zygote is formed, the first cleavage of the human embryo occurs. Two cells are obtained from this process. Then, successive cleavage divisions will occur."

As a lawyer, I'm troubled that Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Aunt Lydia testified under oath that Roe was settled law. They perjured themselves.

As a Catholic, I'm happy. I can put this issue to bed and focus on what the church does best. . . bugger children.
No they didn’t. Settled law has been overturned several times. Recognizing that something is settled law isn’t a promise not to overturn it. This particular talking point is tired and false.

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
As of 10:00 this morning, abortion is illegal in Kentucky, Louisiana, and South Dakota.

The ramifications of this decision are enormous - and I am not just talking about abortion.
I understand that some states passed laws several months ago that banned or heavily restricted abortions with effective date provisions that read something like, "this law goes into effect immediately on the date that Roe v. Wade is overturned."

Why would they do this? Here's why:
A88330EE-539B-4361-9233-97C4AFD33E61.jpeg

They knew McConnell's obstructive strategy had packed the court very well. To them, it was just a matter of time.

I understand that some states passed laws several months ago that banned or heavily restricted abortions with effective date provisions that read something like, "this law goes into effect immediately on the date that Roe v. Wade is overturned."

They knew McConnell's obstructive strategy had packed the court very well. To them, it was just a matter of time.
Patient, methodical, persistence by guys like McConnell, Grassley and Trump delivered this day. Each of them should be proud in the hand they played in blocking Garland and appointing Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and ACB.

Patient, methodical, persistence by guys like McConnell, Grassley and Trump delivered this day. Each of them should be proud in the hand they played in blocking Garland and appointing Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and ACB.
Politics is a contact sport.

And the little angels known as Democrats would never obstruct. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DANC and ulrey
And the little angels known as Democrats would never obstruct. :rolleyes:
Of course not, angels don't do that. They're angels. Geez. Apparently you're not quite the thinker that univee is.

At that point in our history, the 2nd amendment was as established as it has been after 230 years. States and cities at that time were still in the mode of thinking they had supremacy in law over the Constitution. You can't just cherry pick laws and say see even the founders didn't say ... We have to consider laws in their entirety not just a brief time in their history.
Why not, Scalia specifically wrote in Heller:

As Justice Scalia put it in his majority opinion in Heller, “interpret[ations] of the Second Amendment in the century after its enactment,” including in state court opinions, are “a critical tool of constitutional interpretation,” since they can point to “the scope [constitutional rights] were understood to have when the people adopted them.​

So isn't looking at these laws exactly what the majority opinion in Heller said to do? Except THEY cherry picked one GA court decision to determine what the founders meant. One. So if cherry picking is wrong, Heller is wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT