ADVERTISEMENT

Road to the MAC I know but……..

RespecttheStars

Recruit
Dec 3, 2022
Not shouting at clouds here.
Not starting an inane poll.

I’m just curious to hear who among us here is willing to stand up and say something different than “this is the new reality”/get over it/“pay to win” mantra that seems to pervade this board.

Is any of this beneath anyone?
Unsavory?
Disrespectful of nearly everything we have ever stood for?

And the consequence of not playing the current game?
Lesser conference? Non stop NIT’s??

Is it possible to be “Principled and successful” on some level or is it win at all and any financial or moral cost? 6th Banner at any cost?
And what does that bought Banner eventually taste like when change finally comes?
And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Is this all necessary evil to buy back our relevance?

Try to be serious and well reasoned in your response because I’m not starting a fight here.
Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..

• Haha
Reactions: YOTHN

I’m just curious to hear who among us here is willing to stand up and say something different than “this is the new reality”/get over it/“pay to win” mantra that seems to pervade this board.

Unsavory?

Is it possible to be “Principled and successful” on some level or is it win at all and any financial or moral cost? 6th Banner at any cost?
And what does that bought Banner eventually taste like when change finally comes?
And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Try to be serious and well reasoned in your response because I’m not starting a fight here.
Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
It’s legal. Period.

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
You presume we’re actually competent enough to “buy back our relevance”. I’m not convinced. CMW is still employed…

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
when a school like North Carolina had to cheat to win that tells you we were facing some tough choices. I personally hate the new system but does no good to bitch about it, it is what it is. not against the players getting paid but would rather there be some semblance of a student athlete.

Reactions: kkott and philliu

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
We do t have to go that path. National runner up didn’t

Reactions: kmathum
You presume we’re actually competent enough to “buy back our relevance”. I’m not convinced. CMW is still employed…

Please let Woody do his job. If he fails this time, we will be cheering for someone else. Are you good at your job? I’m guessing you try the best you can everyday. Woody is trying, let’s hope he gets it done.

Simply put, Pandora's box has been opened in college athletics.NIL plus freedom of movement is where we are. What that looks like 10 years from now, how it evolves from here is anyone's guess, but one thing its not doing is going back to the way things were.

Reactions: williamcast
when a school like North Carolina had to cheat to win that tells you we were facing some tough choices. I personally hate the new system but does no good to bitch about it, it is what it is. not against the players getting paid but would rather there be some semblance of a student athlete.
One thought that came to me is the worthiness of booing of players / performance. These guys are getting paid. And it’s not a small amount. These “student athletes” will need to get accustomed to being treated and responded to as “paid players”. It comes with the paycheck. I have never booed in a game and thus won’t change that for me. However, I expect the boo birds to be loud should the performance on the floor warrant it. Totally different dynamic now in more ways than one.

One thought that came to me is the worthiness of booing of players / performance. These guys are getting paid. And it’s not a small amount. These “student athletes” will need to get accustomed to being treated and responded to as “paid players”. It comes with the paycheck. I have never booed in a game and thus won’t change that for me. However, I expect the boo birds to be loud should the performance on the floor warrant it. Totally different dynamic now in more ways than one.
was at the game in Indy when archie got booed off the floor, and the fire archie chants were raining down, actually felt sorry for him.

Reactions: Indyhorn

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
What about it is unsavory or beneath us? Things evolve and this is simply an evolution of our college athletics. Do I like it? Not particularly. Yet I also said that I would never get one of those iPhones as I type this in my car. You aren’t being principled by not playing within the rules, you’re simply being obtuse. You aren’t more honest than someone on here that wants to play the NIL game simply because of that fact. It is all within the rules. If schools want to march kids out to play on aircraft carriers and across the country for millions of dollars then they can’t bury their heads under the. guise of amateurism. Yeah I choose to evolve instead of dying on the sword of nostalgia.

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..

Define "principled and successful"? If you mean taking advantage of others for the betterment of the university and its parent organization by underpaying them well below market value, then no, I don't want to win that way.

I think people need to treated with respect and paid according to their market worth. You nor I would accept being underpaid for the sheer pride of working for our employer. Why should anyone else?

Now, with regard to the portal and lack of loyalty by players, the NCAA (I think) could institute minimum academic requirements via GPA and/or hours completed towards a degree to limit the number of transfers. Or make scholarships forgivable loans that will need to be repaid if players receive NIL.

I mean, social security reduces benefits if you have too much income. So why can't the same philosophy be applied to scholarships?

IDK, I don't have all the answers, but there needs to be a happy medium where fans can connect with players over time and players can connect with the university and its community. It's just better that way.

Reactions: bawlmer

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
This is the game we have to play right now. I was very pleased with Ware and the way he represented us this year, even though from early on, we knew he was a one and done. As long as we get decent kids, I’m ok. But, eventually we have to start building a team that will sustain itself, with a balanced combination of 5 stars one and dones and 4 year players that we get out of high school and develop. But I understand the position Woodson is in now. Win next year period.

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
Worst interpretive prose, ever.

Reactions: MIS01 and nichlee
This is the game we have to play right now. I was very pleased with Ware and the way he represented us this year, even though from early on, we knew he was a one and done. As long as we get decent kids, I’m ok. But, eventually we have to start building a team that will sustain itself, with a balanced combination of 5 stars one and dones and 4 year players that we get out of high school and develop. But I understand the position Woodson is in now. Win next year period.
Issues he didn’t recruit this year and. Owner have to bring an entire roster in of portal kids

We’ll see what happens there. They had Edey, that covered up a lot. They also had a portal player who started just for a year. The game has only recently changed. Verdict is still out if that way will work.
Yes but they also recruit and recruit a system. Not to mention they recruit the state very well.

I don’t think paying players matters whether you boo them or not. I can’t ever imagine booing my own team,

Reactions: Willray
Yes but they also recruit and recruit a system. Not to mention they recruit the state very well.
Like I said, we’ll see if that continues. They aren’t getting many 5 stars from the state. Catchings is probably the biggest one they’ve snagged.

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
As I read this never ending drivel I instantly recognized this post was a not so subtle way a rival fan would try to passive aggressively make condescending remarks about another program. Almost as if a Boiler had read about IU acquiring the #1 portal talent just a few hours ago and you wanted to vent your anger while pretending to play coy.

Do you think we're unable to see your historical posts and recognize your infatuation with Purdue and constant bashing of posters on the forum? Ha. Stay mad.

I don’t think paying players matters whether you boo them or not. I can’t ever imagine booing my own team,
Do you ever go to professional sports games? If so and you still don’t boo, good for you. But you will be the minority. Money changes things and it changes the way people behave. Hopefully it won’t come to that due to us playing well consistently. If not, I will not be the least bit surprised if boo birds come out and in force. Again, money changes things and people get weird with it.

Can’t even keep up at the moment. Long gone are the days when we knew what our lineup would like 2-3 years down the road. Don’t really feel the connection to the IU players like I used to … wish we’d build from within. I feel like the pay to play method is a crap shoot in trying to build a roster of guys who will suddenly work together without any learned culture.

Do you ever go to professional sports games? If so and you still don’t boo, good for you. But you will be the minority. Money changes things and it changes the way people behave. Hopefully it won’t come to that due to us playing well consistently. If not, I will not be the least bit surprised if boo birds come out and in force. Again, money changes things and people get weird with it.
Sure I go to Pacers and Colts. Most booing I heard was at Andrew Luck when they broke the news of him leaving during a preseason game. And when I do hear the boo birds, it’s generally about playcalling, like three runs up the middle or something like that.

Reactions: aajohn2000
As I read this never ending drivel I instantly recognized this post was a not so subtle way a rival fan would try to passive aggressively make condescending remarks about another program. Almost as if a Boiler had read about IU acquiring the #1 portal talent just a few hours ago and you wanted to vent your anger while pretending to play coy.

Do you think we're unable to see your historical posts and recognize your infatuation with Purdue and constant bashing of posters on the forum? Ha. Stay mad.
Not close.

Reading is fundamental.

My interest is in with the current landscape.

Your infatuation is with Purdue.

Try again

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
The student portion was gone decades ago. The tudors do their homework while they are head down sleeping on the keyboard.

Sure I go to Pacers and Colts. Most booing I heard was at Andrew Luck when they broke the news of him leaving during a preseason game. And when I do hear the boo birds, it’s generally about playcalling, like three runs up the middle or something like that.
Or, going for it on 4th down on your own side of the field...and then running it up the middle again. Man, I sure do miss Frank Reich.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
I don’t like the new system or at least the way IU is completely reliant on it. Bringing in a bunch of mercenaries every season is not a way to build a sustainably successful program. Use the portal for one or two additions but build relationships with recruits the conventional way.

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
The underlying premise of your criticism is that Woodson is paying more than other programs to bring them in. This is another obvious attempt to undermine Mike Woodson’s effectiveness. We don’t know what the players are getting paid, so it’s possible they are turning down higher offers to play for Woodson. I know it’s hard for people on this board to even imagine that.

Not close.

Reading is fundamental.

My interest is in with the current landscape.

Your infatuation is with Purdue.

Try again
Oh, I am spot on.

Your interest is merely with IU in the current landscape, that is self-evident.

Jealousy doesn't look good on you.

Your infatuation rests with truncated sentences.

Stay mad.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
The underlying premise of your criticism is that Woodson is paying more than other programs to bring them in. This is another obvious attempt to undermine Mike Woodson’s effectiveness. We don’t know what the players are getting paid, so it’s possible they are turning down higher offers to play for Woodson. I know it’s hard for people on this board to even imagine that.
He's a PU fan looking to rile IU fans up. He saw IU make a big move and wanted to vent but do so acting as a fellow Indiana fan. It's incredibly lame but not new from that bunch. We live rent free in their heads, at all times.

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..

Is it really that much worse than the old days where most programs did this discreetly?

I think trying to convince a kid that his schooling is just as important as the millions he could make all before the age of 21 is lol funny.

Kid, make that money and put it away. By the time you're 35, if you do it right, you'll get to live the rest of your life doing what all these naysayers can't do until they're 65, if ever.

Expecting morals or integrity out of young men who know millions are for the taking is actually insulting to the kid, imo. NOne of us here would turn the money down. None of us. The ADs are in it for the $ more than the kids lol.

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
Yeah, no one with any brains or foresight is in charge on this one. Money grabs end in one of two ways - someone getting shot or ruled over. In this case it will obviously be the latter as the P4,5,6 Conferences will decimate the mid-major programs each Spring season by purchasing the best talent that has risen to the top the prior year. It is a known fact that Indiana is only getting 5 star talent because of NIL. We didn’t even make the tourney last year and just landed 3 top 20 players. Players following only $$$ now.

A second impact is on the head coaches. Who in their right mind would want this job now? You’d have to be insane to not know next year or the year after how many players you’ll have, who is staying, who is going, how much money will I need to keep the ones I have?

Worst impact will be on the die hard fans, like you and me, as players no longer bleed for the program they represent neither will we. Allegiance and commitment have become a thing of the past and with it goes the allure of “Alma Mater”.

Return it to amateur status or it becomes non-functional and something no one likes.

Reactions: .Gerdis
He's a PU fan looking to rile IU fans up. He saw IU make a big move and wanted to vent but do so acting as a fellow Indiana fan. It's incredibly lame but not new from that bunch. We live rent free in their heads, at all times.
I understand, but he’s also not wrong. IU fans believe they are the moral arbiters of college basketball. The media tells us that we are the most knowledgeable fans while we eat our own (Woodson). The rest of college basketball has been laughing at us for two decades while cutting down nets.

Is it really that much worse than the old days where most programs did this discreetly?

I think trying to convince a kid that his schooling is just as important as the millions he could make all before the age of 21 is lol funny.

Kid, make that money and put it away. By the time you're 35, if you do it right, you'll get to live the rest of your life doing what all these naysayers can't do until they're 65, if ever.

Expecting morals or integrity out of young men who know millions are for the taking is actually insulting to the kid, imo. NOne of us here would turn the money down. None of us. The ADs are in it for the $ more than the kids lol.
NIL is superior and more principled than the old under-the-table model, where the shoe companies were the cbb kingmakers. And it's now a legitimate financial option to stay in college if a player isn't a sure first round pick.

Something needs to be done with the portal, though (eg, contracts). The players hold all the cards, especially for smaller programs.

I don't like that Woodson doesn't seem to be able to develop 4 year players. It's looking like we'll have a better team next year than without the portal, but the measure will be consistent success on the court. At this point I'm skeptical.

I understand, but he’s also not wrong. IU fans believe they are the moral arbiters of college basketball. The media tells us that we are the most knowledgeable fans while we eat our own (Woodson). The rest of college basketball has been laughing at us for two decades while cutting down nets.
Wrong. IU fans are a pretty reasonable fanbase that really likes basketball.

Last year the team was bad, yet IU was 6th in the nation in attendance, with big crowds at the NYC and ATL neutral site games. Our fans never gave up.

IU fans donate millions to help with NIL.

It’s a great fanbase.

Unsavory?

And it will.

Hard to root for soon?

Just taking the temp.

Dead serious question.

Ready……….Go………..
I think this goes to any part of life. People Who have nothing to lose and no skin in the game,(college students g.g.) find it easy to stand for a cause or for or against an issue. Than They get out of school and discover that some of these things have a direct effect on their lives, and They discover They will starve to death if tthey hold onto their Principles. What's the old saying, "If You are age 20 and Conservative You have No Heart, If You are 40 and liberal You have no brain.

And so it is here. You may not like it, I may not like it, but You can't run a program or recruit to a program the same way You could in the day when there were jump balls after every basket, and players wore satin basketball shorts with belts (If You don't remember those days ask Grandpa or Great Grandpa). You can't bring a butter knife to a gun fight, and You can't compete with one hand behind Your back.

That said,You can control Who You recruit and do a deep dive into their backgrounds. Don't take the guy Who has already been Someone else's problem. this isn't Boystown and You aren't Father Flannigan. Avoid the High school player with the large entourage Who wants big Money before playing a Minute for You. getting Him will only cause problems down the Road. Find guys Who are good, willing to work hard to improve, and aren't looking for the next big thing. If You do that, the fans will respect You and support You.

Wrong. IU fans are a pretty reasonable fanbase that really likes basketball.

Last year the team was bad, yet IU was 6th in the nation in attendance, with big crowds at the NYC and ATL neutral site games. Our fans never gave up.

IU fans donate millions to help with NIL.

It’s a great fanbase.
Exhibit A

Yeah, no one with any brains or foresight is in charge on this one. Money grabs end in one of two ways - someone getting shot or ruled over. In this case it will obviously be the latter as the P4,5,6 Conferences will decimate the mid-major programs each Spring season by purchasing the best talent that has risen to the top the prior year. It is a known fact that Indiana is only getting 5 star talent because of NIL. We didn’t even make the tourney last year and just landed 3 top 20 players. Players following only $$$ now.

A second impact is on the head coaches. Who in their right mind would want this job now? You’d have to be insane to not know next year or the year after how many players you’ll have, who is staying, who is going, how much money will I need to keep the ones I have?

Worst impact will be on the die hard fans, like you and me, as players no longer bleed for the program they represent neither will we. Allegiance and commitment have become a thing of the past and with it goes the allure of “Alma Mater”.

Return it to amateur status or it becomes non-functional and something no one likes.
His "alma mater" is not the same as yours. He, like all PU fans triggered by the recent upturn in fortunes with IU, are scared because they suck at the NIL game, they just lost their unicorn to the NBA, and now are facing a harsh reality. They now are having to virtue signal about how they still do things the "right way" only because they know that they can't compete. If they could, they would. They just threw their whole war chest at Edey to keep him around for another year. They're doing it, too. Just not as well. And, they've operated in the grey for years, regardless, so they can all kick rocks on this topic, as far as I'm concerned. Aside from that, er, um, they're overcommitted heading into next year, and will have to do some creative Creaning; something they loved taking us to task over in the past. So, there's that little ethical dilemma.

Aside from clearing up the OP's true intentions, I share many of your own misgivings as an IU fan about the state of college athletics. However, I don't really feel that going back is an option now, given that the NCAA overcorrected in opening Pandora's box completely. I'm not sure there's any way to truly regulate or cap how colleges "spend" on their rosters. And, it does suck that there isn't the name recognition that comes with following a kid's career all four to five years in the program.

The program can still control the types of kids they bring in, and instilling program culture that breeds teamwork while there and loyalty after they graduate is still possible. I think every Hoosier fan would agree that Ware has been a good model of that, as well as JHS more recently (not a portal guy, obviously, but still someone who was just here a year).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT