ADVERTISEMENT

Reverse gamergate

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
So, the Hogwarts Legacy game came out this month, and it's caused quite a stir, as expected. IGN gave it a solid review (9/10), and commented on the Rowling controversy thus (paraphrasing): It's our job to review the quality of the game and the enjoyment of playing it, and let the readers decide how to weigh that against any feelings they may have about outside issues. Other reviewers generally gave it a favorable score, as well. Wired, however, which doesn't really do a whole lot of video game reviews, handed the assignment off to a trans writer who seems to specialize in top ten lists, who wrote a review that wasn't really a review at all, but just an essay on how she can no longer enjoy the Hogwarts universe because of Rowling's political views. Despite not actually reviewing the game, she still assigned it a rating (1/10, of course). Needless to say, this caused a backlash from the usual suspects.

I have to say I agree with the usual suspects on this one. If you think Rowling has committed some unforgivable sin to the point that you cannot recommend anything connected to her as worth purchasing, well, that's your right as a human being. But to dress it up as a "review" is journalistic malpractice. It's no different than the angry white men who tried to destroy the Hugos because sci-fi was becoming too female and ethnic. Just do your job, and let the people decide how to balance their own priorities themselves.

So, the Hogwarts Legacy game came out this month, and it's caused quite a stir, as expected. IGN gave it a solid review (9/10), and commented on the Rowling controversy thus (paraphrasing): It's our job to review the quality of the game and the enjoyment of playing it, and let the readers decide how to weigh that against any feelings they may have about outside issues. Other reviewers generally gave it a favorable score, as well. Wired, however, which doesn't really do a whole lot of video game reviews, handed the assignment off to a trans writer who seems to specialize in top ten lists, who wrote a review that wasn't really a review at all, but just an essay on how she can no longer enjoy the Hogwarts universe because of Rowling's political views. Despite not actually reviewing the game, she still assigned it a rating (1/10, of course). Needless to say, this caused a backlash from the usual suspects.

I have to say I agree with the usual suspects on this one. If you think Rowling has committed some unforgivable sin to the point that you cannot recommend anything connected to her as worth purchasing, well, that's your right as a human being. But to dress it up as a "review" is journalistic malpractice. It's no different than the angry white men who tried to destroy the Hugos because sci-fi was becoming too female and ethnic. Just do your job, and let the people decide how to balance their own priorities themselves.
100%.

I'll go further and say I have yet to see a cogent critique of Rowling's position w/r/t trans rights.

Reactions: jet812

I had read an article that apparently there is a large percentage of anti Lgbqtxymz gamers. I wouldn’t have guessed that. Anyway I guess there is a trans on the last of us that pissed them off so they rushed online to give it bad reviews.

I don't disagree, but I didn't go there because I think even if you do believe you have a cogent critique of her stance, my OP is still valid.
I agree. Did you read that review and look at the links? She says that the JK Rowling quote this Senator (at 2:10) refers to is tantamount to saying trans people should not exist. That's demented:

I had read an article that apparently there is a large percentage of anti Lgbqtxymz gamers. I wouldn’t have guessed that. Anyway I guess there is a trans on the last of us that pissed them off so they rushed online to give it bad reviews.
There are a lot of them, although the author of the Wired piece is right that there is also a long history of LGBTQ folks in the gaming industry. One of the pioneers of early strategy game design was Dan Bunten (M.U.L.E., Seven Cities of Gold, Command HQ*), who became Danielle Bunten in the early 90s. However, after she transitioned, she suffered backlash from the gaming community.

* If you've never played Command HQ, give it a try, if you can. It's available for download as abandonware, and Steam sells it, but I have no idea if the paid version still works. I believe if you download the abandonware version, you need to use DOSBox or something, and you'll need to download a copy of the manual to get through the anti-piracy test.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66

I agree, it is fine for someone personally to refuse to support something they disagree with. It is, um, American.

But I believe one has a professional duty to put that aside. If one is paid to review, they have to review fairly.

Frankly, we should be fair even without it being professional. I disagree with Jeremy Clarkson on about everything. I have friends that refuse to watch him, as is their right. But honestly, the man is hilarious.

There are a lot of them, although the author of the Wired piece is right that there is also a long history of LGBTQ folks in the gaming industry. One of the pioneers of early strategy game design was Dan Bunten (M.U.L.E., Seven Cities of Gold, Command HQ*), who became Danielle Bunten in the early 90s. However, after she transitioned, she suffered backlash from the gaming community.

* If you've never played Command HQ, give it a try, if you can. It's available for download as abandonware, and Steam sells it, but I have no idea if the paid version still works. I believe if you download the abandonware version, you need to use DOSBox or something, and you'll need to download a copy of the manual to get through the anti-piracy test.
I loved Command HQ. My buddies and I would play it online over dial up. I'll have to see about downloading it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT