ADVERTISEMENT

Redding

HermanB

Senior
Dec 9, 2003
Seems like some posters are down on Redding. Dude has over 500 yards as a backup. Plus has been capable in the passing game as well. Glad he's here, getting good experience as a backup. I think those who predict if Howard leaves there will be no rushing attack, just aren't being honest with themselves.

Reactions: ESalum86
Seems like some posters are down on Redding. Dude has over 500 yards as a backup. Plus has been capable in the passing game as well. Glad he's here, getting good experience as a backup. I think those who predict if Howard leaves there will be no rushing attack, just aren't being honest with themselves.

I like Redding, too; I think posters who are criticizing him are likely comparing him to Howard in a 3rd/4th down and short, and as good as Redding is as a guy who can take advantage of a hole and turn up field with speed, he's not a guy who can move the pile like Howard can.

I wouldn't mind having a 230 lb. guy in the backfield who can pound it like Howard can every year . . . but there aren't too many of those types of guys out there.

Redding gets better every week. I think most peoples angst is with the fact Howard looks so good, then goes out and Redding comes in.

Redding gets better every week. I think most peoples angst is with the fact Howard looks so good, then goes out and Redding comes in.
Redding gets stopped for no gain a bunch would like a quicker back if 230lbs can't get a yard or two on third and fourth down at mid field

Redding gets stopped for no gain a bunch would like a quicker back if 230lbs can't get a yard or two on third and fourth down at mid field
Also averaged over 4 yards per carry last year on 29 carries. As a true Frosh I think. Those blasting him probably are CKW haters too.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Sounds similar to another pretty good back from IU named Coleman. Recruited by CKW as I recall.
Redding's one long run was 17 or so yards Coleman's were 70 yards he is a 230 pound power back who can't get the power yards

I think he runs really hard - I do like that. But just doesn't have the vision that Howard has. I remember watching one game and I rewound it to show my son, and there was hole he could have hit to one side to maybe gain an extra 5 yards but he missed it and got tackled for no gain. I told my son - if that was Howard, he hits that and gets that extra yardage.

I think he runs really hard - I do like that. But just doesn't have the vision that Howard has. I remember watching one game and I rewound it to show my son, and there was hole he could have hit to one side to maybe gain an extra 5 yards but he missed it and got tackled for no gain. I told my son - if that was Howard, he hits that and gets that extra yardage.
Your right like the effort and guts just seems to miss some opportunities reminds me of Trent Richardson (through not near as bad)

Redding's one long run was 17 or so yards Coleman's were 70 yards he is a 230 pound power back who can't get the power yards
Redding had like a 75 yard TD run against Rutgers. I don't think he's Tevin Coleman, but he's shown flashes and had the same issues TC had his first couple of years...not always following his blockers. He's just a soph.

Redding had like a 75 yard TD run against Rutgers. I don't think he's Tevin Coleman, but he's shown flashes and had the same issues TC had his first couple of years...not always following his blockers. He's just a soph.
There is wide gap and I mean wide gap between Coleman and Redding, if Howard leaves and Redding is the featured back next year it is my opinion that IU's running game will be in real trouble. Hope I am wrong.

There is wide gap and I mean wide gap between Coleman and Redding, if Howard leaves and Redding is the featured back next year it is my opinion that IU's running game will be in real trouble. Hope I am wrong.
Again, I don't think Redding is Tevin 2.0, but for some reason, there are people here who can't seem to comprehend that players can develop and get better. He's got two more years. Relax.

Reactions: IUHartselCol
Again, I don't think Redding is Tevin 2.0, but for some reason, there are people here who can't seem to comprehend that players can develop and get better. He's got two more years. Relax.
Have not seen improvement from last year to this year vision is still bad misses holes, gets stopped at point of attack relatively easy, time will tell I just don't see him as first string back on an effective big ten team.

Have not seen improvement from last year to this year vision is still bad misses holes, gets stopped at point of attack relatively easy, time will tell I just don't see him as first string back on an effective big ten team.
I actually disagree with that - I think he is much better than last year. And I do think one reason he doesn't look good sometimes, is because we are used to seeing Coleman and Howard. They are really, really good.

Reactions: Irregulars
I actually disagree with that - I think he is much better than last year. And I do think one reason he doesn't look good sometimes, is because we are used to seeing Coleman and Howard. They are really, really good.
We will agree to disagree hope your right

We will agree to disagree hope your right
I'm not saying he will be or should be our featured guy - I just think he has improved from last year. I like him as a #2, really. Hopefully Howard stays and it won't be an issue.

Hope Howard stays as well. If not, really think Majette could be a bigger factor next year. Liked the way he played in his spot roles this year. Think he could step up next year.

GO IU!

Hope Howard stays as well. If not, really think Majette could be a bigger factor next year. Liked the way he played in his spot roles this year. Think he could step up next year.

GO IU!
These days you have to have two or three quality backs. If Howard goes-I hope he doesn't-I feel we're in good shape with Redding and Majette. Not sure why so many have such little faith. CKW has an eye for talent, obviously.

These days you have to have two or three quality backs. If Howard goes-I hope he doesn't-I feel we're in good shape with Redding and Majette. Not sure why so many have such little faith. CKW has an eye for talent, obviously.
Because how the running stalls when Redding comes in

He a serviceable backup but is not a feature back in my humble opinion. From my vantage point he seems to run straight into the pile instead of running for daylight. He is not a guy you want running into a pile because he's probably going backwards when that happens. I hated the call 4th and 2 call with Redding up the middle on the 1st drive against Michigan. That play is rarely going to work. Would much prefer to see him run outside of the tackles like he did on the touchdown run against Rutgers. Wouldn't mind seeing him on a few more swing passes as well.

He has 7 touchdowns, so I guess it doesn't always stall.
Your right 2 TD's against a lower Division foe, 2 against Western Kentucky, 2 against OSU when he carried 30 times for 45 yards a sparkling 1.5 yards per carry and 1 against Rutgers. He will be ok next year if we schedule pasties and can live with 1.5 yards per carry against the big ten's best.

Your right 2 TD's against a lower Division foe, 2 against Western Kentucky, 2 against OSU when he carried 30 times for 45 yards a sparkling 1.5 yards per carry and 1 against Rutgers. He will be ok next year if we schedule pasties and can live with 1.5 yards per carry against the big ten's best.
130 more yards today Biggi. Bet he gets a game ball-what do you think? 2 against O$U does not impress you huh?

Reactions: knothole gang
130 more yards today Biggi. Bet he gets a game ball-what do you think? 2 against O$U does not impress you huh?
2 against OSU with 45 yards in 30 carries a 1.5 average won't score many points, was not IU's best running back today after Howard

Unfortunately I couldn't see the game. But for those that did, was Redding wearing a cape and an "S" on his chest?

Not really one long run , one 14 yard run, and several runs for no gain

Um . . . you must've been in the head for the 45 yard scamper that Redding had. Not sure if Coleman would have been able to break that one for a TD . . . I think Redding got all there was to get.

Um . . . you must've been in the head for the 45 yard scamper that Redding had. Not sure if Coleman would have been able to break that one for a TD . . . I think Redding got all there was to get.
The long run was the 45 yard scamper plus he had a 14 yard scamper (don't count that as long) believe there were several runs where Coleman would have got 45 yards or more because he got to holes faster and sees openings that Redding misses

Howard is NOT going pro with this season. He is capable of going very high in draft but he needs a healthy season.
Next year he is going g to be ferocious.

Reactions: IUHartselCol
The long run was the 45 yard scamper plus he had a 14 yard scamper (don't count that as long) believe there were several runs where Coleman would have got 45 yards or more because he got to holes faster and sees openings that Redding misses
You realize that there aren't that many Tevin Colemans out there, right?

You realize that there aren't that many Tevin Colemans out there, right?
I was responding to the previous message where someone made the statement on Redding's 45 yard scamper Coleman couldn't have made it. They drew the comparison to Coleman I agree it is laughable......................

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT