ADVERTISEMENT

Post Louisville - Defensive Perspective

DThompson

Benchwarmer
Nov 28, 2022
Ok - the football geek in me decided to do a deep dive on yesterday's game. I apologize for the long post, it's a lot. Just going to dive in.

Good news...we were in position to stop Louisville on their first drive. We missed a tackle at the LOS on 1st down and then missed a TFL on the very next play. We convert those...we get some early momentum. Instead, we bite on a shake and #1 is wide open for a 43-yard gain. That's part of a 9-play drive, that luckily ended in no points.

No harm...No Foul.

Second drive was two plays. Great pressure from DL on 1st down. That pressure resulted in an incomplete pass. We were so close on 2nd down as we had two guys in the backfield that with a little adjustment in their move(s) might have created some pressure. But close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. the result was an 85-yard touchdown that would put us on our heels the rest of the half.

I was not able to chart the next 20 snaps...but they ended in another 14 points. Since I missed well over half of our first half defensive snaps, I really do not have enough to speak specifically. But we were not ready to play our brand of football. Bad eye discipline. Jumping WR moves. Missed tackle opportunities. Just not the defense I know we are.

PTL - there are two halves to this game. Credit to the coaches and the players to get into the locker room and circle the wagons. I felt like we would play all 4 quarters like we did the second half. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Louisville only had 11 offensive snaps in the third quarter. They moved the ball on the ground well early (A gap, B gap, C gap, and a QB scramble). Good coverage on 2nd and 8 forced a QB scramble and one of our DL chased him down for a 4-yard gain. We took advantage of a hold on 3rd and 4 for an eventual punt. Next possession was 3 plays. QB went under center for a play action pass and scrambled right for a 6-yard gain. Next two plays were great (especially for #44) ...A Gap run for 0 yards where our DL owned them and then a drop back pass where #44 got a QB pressure which led to an INT.

Defense played pretty well in the fourth quarter too. Front 7 really started to exert their will as we had 2 pressures, an intentional grounding call, and an 8-yard TFL their first 2 possessions of the quarter.

Then the last drive. Louisville got the ball with 4:38 remaining and I was pretty confident we were going to take this game away from them. :-(

1st down was a play fake. We had great pressure...just bit low on the fake and that gave Plummer the opportunity to escape right. Still had a guy containing...he just chose to stay low with a TE (not the one that would become open) allowing a 13-yard scramble for a 1st down. We then get to 3rd and 9 with 2:19 left and have a guy that has a chance to be the guy and we run too far up field and out of the play that would have forced a punt. Game over.

After charting...I really needed to help myself. I felt like there was good enough data (after 3 games) to help me understand who we are defensively a little better. So, I tracked PFF scores and rankings. Enjoy:

Indiana
DEF 72.1 #54 P5/ #10 in B10
RDEF 71.9 #49 P5 / #11 in B10
PRSH 66.4 #52 P5 / #11 in B10
COV 70.2 #51 P5 / #9 in B10

OSU
OFF Overall 81.2 #16 P5
RUN 81.6 #20 P5 / #2 B10
RBLK 74.1 #9 P5 / #2 B10
PASS 66.0 #47 P5 / #7 B10
PBLK 85.4 #7 P5 / #1 B10
vs IU 23 Points Scored, 380 Total Yds (237 passing 143 rushing 4.6 YPC)
vs Youngstown ST Points Scored 35, 482 Total Yds (359 passing 123 rushing 4.6 YPC)
vs WKent 63 Points Scored, 562 Total Yds (358 passing 204 rushing 6.2 YPC)

Louisville

OFF Overall 78.4 #29 P5
RUN 84.6 #9 P5 / #2 ACC
RBLK 66.7 #32 P5 / #6 ACC
PASS 74.9 #34 P5 / #6 ACC
PBLK 73.4 #30 P5 / #7 ACC
vs Georgia Tech 39 Points Scored, 474 Total Yards (247 passing 227 rushing 6.7 YPC)
vs Murray ST 56 Points Scored, 790 Total Yards (346 Passing 344 rushing 7.8 YPC)
vs IU 21 Points Scored, 422 Total Yards (238 Passing 184 Rushing 4.7 YPC)

Last edited:
What bothers Me is that in the first half, We saw all the types of mistakes that keep recurring and don't seem to be corrected. DBs standing flat footed as Receivers run past them, not knowing a technique to turn and run with receivers, not knowing when the ball is in the airor how to locate it. Then as usual, We have guys on the outside with contain responsibilities Who can't maintain leverage to force plays inside to help. and can't effectively pinch the play to the inside to slow things down and get tackling help. Again the D Line doesn't generate enough pressure in pass rush, and the Outside Ends don't maintain leverage to keep the QB in the pocket. SpecialTeams isn't exempt. On the play where Evans went down and looked to be injured, one of the blocking backs got run over and rag dolled back in his lap by a Rusher. First Rule of that position, never backup or give ground and step up to initiate contact rather than let the Defender have the momentum and leverage.

That said, the Defense has given up a total of 44 points in the two games against FCS opponents or an average of 22 per game. In this day and age of college football, that should be enough to win games if Your team has any kind of Offense.

Was definitely disappointed with the defense in the first half. Got beat by the long pass a couple times, were ran on over and over, and didn't contain the QB in the pocket. It was great for them to come back and pitch the shutout in the second half, but unfortunately, the damage was already done.

Any thoughts on why they got off to such a slow start? Big game for us, playing on the Colts field would think would have them ready to go.

What bothers Me is that in the first half, We saw all the types of mistakes that keep recurring and don't seem to be corrected. DBs standing flat footed as Receivers run past them, not knowing a technique to turn and run with receivers, not knowing when the ball is in the airor how to locate it. Then as usual, We have guys on the outside with contain responsibilities Who can't maintain leverage to force plays inside to help. and can't effectively pinch the play to the inside to slow things down and get tackling help. Again the D Line doesn't generate enough pressure in pass rush, and the Outside Ends don't maintain leverage to keep the QB in the pocket. SpecialTeams isn't exempt. On the play where Evans went down and looked to be injured, one of the blocking backs got run over and rag dolled back in his lap by a Rusher. First Rule of that position, never backup or give ground and step up to initiate contact rather than let the Defender have the momentum and leverage.

That said, the Defense has given up a total of 44 points in the two games against FCS opponents or an average of 22 per game. In this day and age of college football, that should be enough to win games if Your team has any kind of Offense.
Good stuff...really enjoy reading your posts.

I am no secondary expert, but it looks to me like they play well overall...just pay a heavy price when they do make a mistake (nature of the position). PDunham comes to mind...has played very well so far this season, one brain fart and it's luckily only a 43-yard pass.

You mention edge containment...that to me is a growing concern. We lose it way too often...and during crucial situations. It was a big reason Louisville was able to get two first downs to sustain their last drive and win the game. We have to get this corrected.

In terms of DL pressure...these guys are playing the play that's called. It's as simple as that. I do like some of the blitz calls coming in now.

Good stuff...really enjoy reading your posts.

I am no secondary expert, but it looks to me like they play well overall...just pay a heavy price when they do make a mistake (nature of the position). PDunham comes to mind...has played very well so far this season, one brain fart and it's luckily only a 43-yard pass.

You mention edge containment...that to me is a growing concern. We lose it way too often...and during crucial situations. It was a big reason Louisville was able to get two first downs to sustain their last drive and win the game. We have to get this corrected.

In terms of DL pressure...these guys are playing the play that's called. It's as simple as that. I do like some of the blitz calls coming in now.
Edge containment woes allowed Plummer to scamper for a coule of first downs.

The issue with DBs getting beat deep can be due to several factors and without being at practice or the room when they are preparing; I don't know the answer. However, I do know things that should be taught to solve this issue. The thing with me is I love matchup zone defense because it covers for mistakes. The original 4-2-5 defense did run the matchup zone defense.

I don't like the DT and DE contacting OL first in the 4-2-5 as it doesn't let them attack the offense keeping them from getting into the backfield.

57 snaps in a game now days is not a lot. I was at the Florida-Tennessee game this weekend. I did not realize timeouts are 3.5 to 4 minutes long. A full timeout is taken for any injuries. No matter how quickly the player gets up.
I would wager our defensive coaches, including Coach Allen, would like him to be playing fewer than 57 snaps. Having adequate depth or rotate kids on the D line is a huge advantage for teams that can do it.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The issue with DBs getting beat deep can be due to several factors and without being at practice or the room when they are preparing; I don't know the answer. However, I do know things that should be taught to solve this issue. The thing with me is I love matchup zone defense because it covers for mistakes. The original 4-2-5 defense did run the matchup zone defense.

I don't like the DT and DE contacting OL first in the 4-2-5 as it doesn't let them attack the offense keeping them from getting into the backfield.
Early in the 1st half very few were reacting to what they saw as plays unfolded. Analyzing, evaluating instead of reacting. Is the D over prepared mentally? Don't know. But the change from 1 half to the next is dramatic. There's an answer somewhere. There are some things developing on offense I like. Both the D and offense should hone up some rough edges against Akron. Bell should be slimming his playlist down for viable clutch play choices. PUke is 1-2 also and haven't faced anything like OSU.

57 snaps in a game now days is not a lot. I was at the Florida-Tennessee game this weekend. I did not realize timeouts are 3.5 to 4 minutes long. A full timeout is taken for any injuries. No matter how quickly the player gets up.
This is my argument too. These young men are in elite physical condition and recover quickly (not like us fan boys) and they get to rest about two minutes for every three on the field. If they feel gassed they can take themselves out for a rest.

57 of ~59 defensive snaps is iron man country … but not unheard of
As a team captain, Andre probably doesn’t want to leave the field.
(add 3 snaps for 3 TDS to 60 total tackles in the box score).
(Subtract 4 snaps for KOs and punt coverage)

The running clock probably helps by limiting the total number of plays.
Were IU to face a hurry up and not get off the field it could become an issue

Last edited:
#25 for P5. Surprises me that any DL would have more snaps than him.
Thx.

I would be less concerned about wearing him out given the reality of the pace of play than I am about injuries. But the coaches and folks like yourself know more than the others here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT