ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting board…

That’s my hope and 7.6 is close to 8.😜 what will help is you have MM who if you close out can drive the ball. Plus Ware will drag his guy out. This should open the floor a bit and I do believe floor spacing won’t be that big of an issue. Just have to hit them.
We do have players with more offensive flexibility. Kopp, TJD and Race did not give us that.

Ugh both of our starting guards are above average shooters. Woody will have up to 5

Ugh both of our starting guards are above average shooters. Woody will have up to 5 capable shooters on the floor.
Maybe one good shooter that's defenses are worried about in Mgbako. Galloway and Johnson I would not consider shooters. Not sure on Cupps and Gunn shot like 10 percent and Newton is hurt so like said its going to be a long season not enough shooting.

Maybe one good shooter that's defenses are worried about in Mgbako. Galloway and Johnson I would not consider shooters. Not sure on Cupps and Gunn shot like 10 percent and Newton is hurt so like said its going to be a long season not enough shooting.
most point guards shoot about 100 threes. He’s right at that average. At 37% that’s plenty. Now Trey needs to take more threes but if he’s shooting at the same clip as last year hes most certainly a shooter. MM isn’t really a shooter as much as a scorer. He loves and thrives in the mid game. What I like about this team on paper is they can shoot. It’s more of a volume problem. Those are 3 capable shooters with ware that’s 4. Malik has range too. You won’t need the post players to shoot many just show a threat.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
most point guards shoot about 100 threes. He’s right at that average. At 37% that’s plenty. Now Trey needs to take more threes but if he’s shooting at the same clip as last year hes most certainly a shooter. MM isn’t really a shooter as much as a scorer. He loves and thrives in the mid game. What I like about this team on paper is they can shoot. It’s more of a volume problem. Those are 3 capable shooters with ware that’s 4. Malik has range too. You won’t need the post players to shoot many just show a threat.
Galloway was 30 for 65 for the season from 3pt range. That's basically 1 for 2 over last seasons schedule. Sorry, I don't consider 2 attempts a game a 3pt threat. Glad he raised his average last year but he's not considered a threat from outside the arc.

Galloway was 30 for 65 for the season from 3pt range. That's basically 1 for 2 over last seasons schedule. Sorry, I don't consider 2 attempts a game a 3pt threat. Glad he raised his average last year but he's not considered a threat from outside the arc.
Tell that to Kansas and UConn. He’s a shooter. He’s not the main shooter. He most certainly will stretch the floor. You don’t leave a guy like that open and he actually scored a lot because guys got to close to him and he drove around them. Hes got a great floater and can get to the rim. He just needs to do it more and I expect him to do just that.

Last season IU shot 36.6 as a team Kopp shot 44 percent he is gone . I don't see this team being a very good shooting team remember Davis left alot guys open with double teams.

Last season IU shot 36.6 as a team Kopp shot 44 percent he is gone . I don't see this team being a very good shooting team remember Davis left alot guys open with double teams.
So? Percentage is fine. Volume wasn’t. This team will get volume. They didn’t come off kopp for those doubles. It was usually race guy. That changes this year. I expect more volume from 4 spots instead of 2 spots. The offense will be different this year.

Tell that to Kansas and UConn. He’s a shooter. He’s not the main shooter. He most certainly will stretch the floor. You don’t leave a guy like that open and he actually scored a lot because guys got to close to him and he drove around them. Hes got a great floater and can get to the rim. He just needs to do it more and I expect him to do just that.
Galloway averaged 6pts a game last year as a starter. As far as stretching the floor Galloway averaged 2 attempts a game. I like Galloway's hustle and intangibles he brings to the team. With that said, he was not a very good outside shooter during his career and with only 2 attempts a game and shooting less than 50% last year that leaves him with less than 1 made 3 pointer a game. No, he has not been an outside threat but maybe things will change this year.

Galloway averaged 6pts a game last year as a starter. As far as stretching the floor Galloway averaged 2 attempts a game. I like Galloway's hustle and intangibles he brings to the team. With that said, he was not a very good outside shooter during his career and with only 2 attempts a game and shooting less than 50% last year that leaves him with less than 1 made 3 pointer a game. No, he has not been an outside threat but maybe things will change this year.
Yes he is. That’s only part of the game. You still have to guard an almost 50 % shooter. It’s a volume thing. I bet he averages at least 10 points. I bet he takes 5-6 and makes 2. That’s all he needs to do. You are still thinking this is a 3 point dominant game. It’s not. It’s important but it’s obviously not a bombs away game. You use it to open up the rest of the floor.

So? Percentage is fine. Volume wasn’t. This team will get volume. They didn’t come off kopp for those doubles. It was usually race guy. That changes this year. I expect more volume from 4 spots instead of 2 spots. The offense will be different this year.
The offense will be different for sure that's what I'm worried about the lack of shooting and go to guy I can see why most experts are picking us in the middle of the pack.

Told ya shooting is bad now this is just one game but it's going to be a long season.

• Haha
If you're using exhibitions as the barometer, then after last night we'll be the best 3pt shooting team of the last 15 years.
He has to do the “I told ya so” stuff. Needs to go back and look at IU history on 3 point shooting and stfu. I’m sure he’s impressed by the 11 for 36 Marian unloaded. Wonder how upset people are by the wings “standing” in both corners.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
why are you so negative, the season has not started yet.

is 8 or 9 per night acceptable?
I bet 80% of power 5 teams do less than that. Power 5 teams take and make less than non power 5. Efficiency is more important. I’d rather take a sure open shot than force a 3. Only way to beat an efficient team overall is to live and die by the three. Thats why you saw Marian go 11 of 36. That’s the only way they beat us is by hitting effectively from 3. If you hit 8-9.5 threes at 36-37% that would make you elite. This team doesn’t have to be elite at it. We can bang and score at all three levels.

Last years stats. Read em and weep.

• Love
Reactions: asindc and kkott
I wouldn’t want this team taking more than 20-25 on given nights. Why try to outshoot people when we have great 3 level post guys. That would be stupid. Also why limit the term “shooting” to just 3 point shots?
Amen. Been trying to make those points with the "we need 20-25 3 pt attempts per game" crowd for months. Good attempts and efficiency is much more important to me and our success likely. I'm all for finding more attempts if we do make at a high rate, but I don't think it's a necessity for this team and not even a need until we actually prove this roster will make them at a high rate this year vs "real" competition.

Amen. Been trying to make those points with the "we need 20-25 3 pt attempts per game" crowd for months. Good attempts and efficiency is much more important to me and our success likely. I'm all for finding more attempts if we do make at a high rate, but I don't think it's a necessity for this team and not even a need until we actually prove this roster will make them at a high rate this year vs "real" competition.
It’s not even for most power 5 teams. It’s a way for teams who have less talent to compete with teams like us. Not many do the “die by the three” stuff anymore. Hell even Creans best teams didn’t shoot or hit as many as people think.

It’s not even for most power 5 teams. It’s a way for teams who have less talent to compete with teams like us. Not many do the “die by the three” stuff anymore. Hell even Creans best teams didn’t shoot or hit as many as people think.
To put it in perspective, I went and looked at Hull's 4 years and the 1st year after he was gone and compared it to the last 2 years

2009-10 5.2 made per game at 34.1%
2010-11 5.9 made per game at 34.6%
2011-12 6.4 made per game at 43.1%
2012-13 7 made per game at 40%
2013-14 5.5 made per game at 34.1%

2021-22 5.9 made per game at 33.3%
2022-23 5.7 made per game at 36.8%

So to your point, you are correct, with the exception of the 12-13 year, we have been inline with the number of 3s made as we were with the Crean years.

Fun fact, I went and looked at some of the better teams we have had since it was brought back in 87, and here you go

86-87 3.8 made per game--BUT we shot over 50% from there as a team
91-92 4.8 made per game at 42%
01-02 7.3 made per game at 41%

is 8 or 9 per night acceptable?

Sure it's acceptable, but for that to likely happen, IU will need to shoot somewhere around 22-24 3's a game. That isn't acceptable in my opinion given the extreme frontcourt advantage we'll have over almost every opponent we line up against. Efficiency is still a real thing. Jacking 3's for the sake of jacking 3's "because that's the modern game" doesn't really hold much water. Stick to your strengths and capitalize on your opportunities.

Crazy how the NBA game is all about the 3 now. I was at the pacers game last night and they hit 20 out of 38 3’s.
Spurs shot 26 but hit 8

• Sad
Reactions: sglowrider
To put it in perspective, I went and looked at Hull's 4 years and the 1st year after he was gone and compared it to the last 2 years

So to your point, you are correct, with the exception of the 12-13 year, we have been inline with the number of 3s made as we were with the Crean years.

Fun fact, I went and looked at some of the better teams we have had since it was brought back in 87, and here you go

2015-2016 9.9 made at 41%. Seemed like everyone on that team could shoot. For this team, run your offense, take em when they're open and make em.

I’d bet this team will average under 20 attempts. Probably be in that 6-7 made range again. If they shoot more it’s because people will underestimate the shooting ability of this team and pack it in. I think every starter will take and make 3s this year. Probably shouldn’t rely on it but if it’s given they will fire away. It will be nice seeing our post guys actually hit some this year. Nice tool to have.

I’d bet this team will average under 20 attempts. Probably be in that 6-7 made range again. If they shoot more it’s because people will underestimate the shooting ability of this team and pack it in. I think every starter will take and make 3s this year. Probably shouldn’t rely on it but if it’s given they will fire away. It will be nice seeing our post guys actually hit some this year. Nice tool to have.
We have a nice balance of inside and outside.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT