ADVERTISEMENT

Question for coaches or those that think they are experts...

Louisville was a dumpster fire. He could go there any time he wants - all he has to do is indicate he's interested.

Brohm's a good coach - there's no question about it. Whether he's a good fit for Purdue remains to be seen, in my opinion.

Satterfield is a good coach in his own right. Most thought they would be a disaster this year and he got them to 7-5 and 2nd in their division behind Clemson.

Brohm isn’t going to Louisville a time soon.

Satterfield will have them rolling.

I'm not making any predictions about Brohm's future success. FWIW, I think he is a damn good coach and a very innovative offensive mind. That said, your rationale for roi only works to a point. The trend for wins is down, not up, the past two years. If Purdue continues the slide ticket sales ( and other associated revenue) will undoubtedly decline and JB becomes enormously overpriced. PUke is not in the red with Brohm right now, but will be soon if he doesn't right the ship.

I understand the injury and youth situation, but it is frankly overplayed. Indiana endured serious injuries as well and is nearly as young as Purdue and managed to win 8 games. The problem I see with Brohm is that roster management is not very good. In year three, the Boilers should be deep enough to win more than four games despite injuries. Tom Allen won eight in year three because of better depth - and he didn't inherit a lot more from Kevin Wilson than Brohm did from Hazell. If Hazell left the cupboard so bare, why did the injuries to players he recruited decimate this team so badly ?. One would think Brohm's sophomores would be better than Hazell's leftovers if JB is such an upgrade.

Every team loses valuable players to injury each year. Hell we were down to a third-string left tackle and third string RB against you. We played with a backup QB most of the year. We were without a starting WR and a linebacker who had played key snaps the last two years. If you can't survive injuries and win, you aren't deep enough - something that shouldn't be a problem for a $6 million dollar coach.

Thanks for a rational response. Allen inherited a team that was in an upward trajectory win-loss wise starting in 2013 at 5-7, 2014 at 4-8, 2015 at 6-7 and 2016 at 6-7 with consecutive bowl appearances. That’s a 21-29 record, or 42%. The team Brohm took over had gone 1-11 in 2013, 3-9 in 2014, 2-10 in 2015 and 3-9 in 2016. Not once in the previous four years had Purdue won as many as IU did in any year during that span. No bowl games, no extra practices and nothing to create any optimism for the future.
You cited roster development. Except for Moore, the key injuries were to five seniors. A defensive lineman, a linebacker and a quarterback. The starting RB saw action in two games. His backup never dressed. Subsequently they lost their backup QB for the season and another seven players who started at one point during the season sustained season injuries and were not available last Saturday. Thirty players who were true or redshirt freshmen played and seven on offense were true or redshirt freshmen starting or playing most of the game and five were starting on defense. Two more offensive starters were sophomores and three on defense. Nine offensive starters and eight defensive starters were underclassmen.
The bulk of the 25th rated freshmen class redshirted.
Two the freshmen who started played in every game and both are virtual locks to be freshmen All Americans.
Critics of his coaching completely dismiss his ability to take a beaten down program, with limited talent, and post 7 wins and 6 wins his first two years. As for his job security, he is it in spades with string support from the President, BOT and Athletic Director. Few coaches taking over a program on life support ever pay fir themselves the first three years. Bottom line folks, every Big Ten school receives $53 million from the BTN and bowl games and NCAA appearances. The majority comes from football. Without football the entire athletic departments of almost every school would be faced with economic turmoil. I sure am not going to lose sleep after losing a rivalry game in double overtime after overcoming an 18 point deficit to tie in regulation with a walk-on QB at the helm who started 3 games and was 4th string in August. Same time next year!

Thanks for a rational response. Allen inherited a team that was in an upward trajectory win-loss wise starting in 2013 at 5-7, 2014 at 4-8, 2015 at 6-7 and 2016 at 6-7 with consecutive bowl appearances. That’s a 21-29 record, or 42%. The team Brohm took over had gone 1-11 in 2013, 3-9 in 2014, 2-10 in 2015 and 3-9 in 2016. Not once in the previous four years had Purdue won as many as IU did in any year during that span. No bowl games, no extra practices and nothing to create any optimism for the future.
You cited roster development. Except for Moore, the key injuries were to five seniors. A defensive lineman, a linebacker and a quarterback. The starting RB saw action in two games. His backup never dressed. Subsequently they lost their backup QB for the season and another seven players who started at one point during the season sustained season injuries and were not available last Saturday. Thirty players who were true or redshirt freshmen played and seven on offense were true or redshirt freshmen starting or playing most of the game and five were starting on defense. Two more offensive starters were sophomores and three on defense. Nine offensive starters and eight defensive starters were underclassmen.
Two the freshmen who started played in every game and both are virtual locks to be freshmen All Americans.
Critics of his coaching completely dismiss his ability to take a beaten down program, with limited talent, and post 7 wins and 6 wins his first two years. As for his job security, he is it in spades with string support from the President, BOT and Athletic Director. Few coaches taking over a program on life support ever pay fir themselves the first three years. Bottom line folks, every Big Ten school receives $53 million from the BTN and bowl games and NCAA appearances. The majority comes from football. Without football the entire athletic departments of almost every school would be faced with economic turmoil. I sure am not going to lose sleep after losing a rivalry game in double overtime after overcoming an 18 point deficit to tie in regulation with a walk-on QB at the helm who started 3 games and was 4th string in August. Same time next year!
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Spin it any way you want, but going from 7-6 to 6-7 to 4-8 is not the direction any coach wants to be heading. And Saturday's game wouldn't have been particularly close if our kicker hadn't had the worst day of his career. Still, IU never trailed except briefly in OT. And, as others have pointed out, yours wasn't the only team on the field that was without key playmakers.

You lost. You're 4-8. You're trending down. Your 2021 recruiting class will likely take a hit as a result. I feel for you, though. It must be awful to be a Purdue football fan right now.

I've seen on here and from some of the iu beat writers and bloggers on Twitter that allen was really outcoached yesterday. Ive been a football fan for 30+ years but am evidently not smart enough to see it for myself. What were the things that brohm did where he outcoached allen?

From where I sat, I saw an IU team that was clearly more talented than PU, and took advantage of that from the get go. They dominated much of the first half. Then our field goal kicker started missing, our running back got hurt, and pu was able to exploit our weak secondary (which damn near everyone has done this year). Put those together in a rivalry game on the road in sh*tty conditions, and you get the come back and close game.

What did I miss that had anything to do with in game coaching decisions?
Also how is it coach Allen's fault when the OC and DC are calling offense and defense. I didn't see IU out coached but injuries took a toll.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Spin it any way you want, but going from 7-6 to 6-7 to 4-8 is not the direction any coach wants to be heading. And Saturday's game wouldn't have been particularly close if our kicker hadn't had the worst day of his career. Still, IU never trailed except briefly in OT. And, as others have pointed out, yours wasn't the only team on the field that was without key playmakers.

You lost. You're 4-8. You're trending down. Your 2021 recruiting class will likely take a hit as a result. I feel for you, though. It must be awful to be a Purdue football fan right now.

Spoken like a pure partisan who thinks with his heart instead if his head and is incapable of being civil with people who present rational, factual and detailed information. I said nothing to diminish your victory. The player of the game was Ramsey. You had a great season which is the best since 1967 which I remember very well. Coach Allen made a superb hire of Coach DeBoer. I have consistently told your peers on the Purdue board, with similar rigid positions, that they were in for a big surprise by the time this season ended. The good news for those that appreciate a good rivalry is we will become a more nationally significant rivalry with both teams becoming highly competitive. That would be nice to see. An end of the
season matchup that commands national attention,

Spoken like a pure partisan who thinks with his heart instead if his head and is incapable of being civil with people who present rational, factual and detailed information. I said nothing to diminish your victory. The player of the game was Ramsey. You had a great season which is the best since 1967 which I remember very well. Coach Allen made a superb hire of Coach DeBoer. I have consistently told your peers on the Purdue board, with similar rigid positions, that they were in for a big surprise by the time this season ended. The good news for those that appreciate a good rivalry is we will become a more nationally significant rivalry with both teams becoming highly competitive. That would be nice to see. An end of the
I re-read my post. It's not close to uncivil. And as far as your claim that you said nothing to diminish our victory, go back and re-read your closing sentence about your 4th string, walk-on quarterback.

Dude Why are still posting your lame puke drivel on this board. You are sooo delusional. Losers like you are not welcome here.

I re-read my post. It's not close to uncivil. And as far as your claim that you said nothing to diminish our victory, go back and re-read your closing sentence about your 4th string, walk-on quarterback.
destewart is civil - to a point. But he can't help but get his digs in with backhanded 'compliments'.

He's got great historical knowledge, and I appreciate that. But make no mistake - he's as partisan as they come. And I don't think he's a Purdue grad. Think he went to Wabash. Or Depauw. Whatever - no difference.

What you fail to mention is that IU also had key players injured in previous buckets games. They had unproven quarterbacks. They started a true freshman running back last. They also started many freshmen and sophomores on defense last year. Give it a rest about this great team Allen inherited and this poor team Brohm inherited. Two proven quarterbacks, Neal, Bailey, 2 quality running backs. Then like I have said numerous times you had the best player on the field and made a couple of plays that were the difference. So not buying what you are selling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT