ADVERTISEMENT

Observations Illinois Game

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
1, Tom Allen touts Himself as a Defensive Coach. There is no way a Defensive Coach should have a Defense that allows that much yardage, that many points and Receivers running free like they are running practice warm up patterns. A true Defensive Coach knows how to identify and correct the problems and correct them.

2. If your Defensive Coaches can't design and execute an effective Game Plan, You have the wrong people on staff. But Youn hired them, so You are responsible.

3. You have a Quarterback Making his first start, and You can't put together a Game Plan that effectively disguises your Defensive looks, or put in a couple of Blitz packages that haven't been seen on film. Instead You give Him Vanilla looks and blitz less than 10 times. A competent QB who has time and is comfortable in the pocket can pick a Defense apaet.

4. You are playing some Young inexperienced players in the Secondary, but there is no excuse. I watched some of the Georgia- Old Miss game last night. They have a number of starters on Defense out with injury and are playing some Young Guys, Receivers aren't running open throuh yjeir Secondary like They are taking a morning jog. Either these Kids are incapable of being Coached, or the Coaches can't communicate with Them.
5, The Offense is better under Rod Carey, but He is not exempt from criticism. Here are a couple.

a. Om our second TD drive We moved the ball downfield by running inside. On 1st down from the Illinois 3, Carey calls an option play with with Henderson as the trail back. The play results in a loss back to the 10. After you have moved the ball with inside power runs You run a play that takes the ball backwards. Why risk that kind of loss in that situation? As much as I like Henderson, He isn't the type of Back I want to see taking a sideays lateral 7 yards behind the line of Scrimmage.

b. Move to overtime. Your most productive Player during the game was McCully. But in overtime, You made no effort to put the ball in his Hands. In addition it looked to Me like the two runs by Soresby were designed plays and not ad libs by Him due to blocking backgrounds. These were successful toward the end of regulation when Illinois was Defending toward the Sidelines. When You are operating onn a compressed 25 Yard space, that isn't going to bhe as open as it ways during Regulation.

1, Tom Allen touts Himself as a Defensive Coach. There is no way a Defensive Coach should have a Defense that allows that much yardage, that many points and Receivers running free like they are running practice warm up patterns. A true Defensive Coach knows how to identify and correct the problems and correct them.

2. If your Defensive Coaches can't design and execute an effective Game Plan, You have the wrong people on staff. But Youn hired them, so You are responsible.

3. You have a Quarterback Making his first start, and You can't put together a Game Plan that effectively disguises your Defensive looks, or put in a couple of Blitz packages that haven't been seen on film. Instead You give Him Vanilla looks and blitz less than 10 times. A competent QB who has time and is comfortable in the pocket can pick a Defense apaet.

4. You are playing some Young inexperienced players in the Secondary, but there is no excuse. I watched some of the Georgia- Old Miss game last night. They have a number of starters on Defense out with injury and are playing some Young Guys, Receivers aren't running open throuh yjeir Secondary like They are taking a morning jog. Either these Kids are incapable of being Coached, or the Coaches can't communicate with Them.
5, The Offense is better under Rod Carey, but He is not exempt from criticism. Here are a couple.

a. Om our second TD drive We moved the ball downfield by running inside. On 1st down from the Illinois 3, Carey calls an option play with with Henderson as the trail back. The play results in a loss back to the 10. After you have moved the ball with inside power runs You run a play that takes the ball backwards. Why risk that kind of loss in that situation? As much as I like Henderson, He isn't the type of Back I want to see taking a sideays lateral 7 yards behind the line of Scrimmage.

b. Move to overtime. Your most productive Player during the game was McCully. But in overtime, You made no effort to put the ball in his Hands. In addition it looked to Me like the two runs by Soresby were designed plays and not ad libs by Him due to blocking backgrounds. These were successful toward the end of regulation when Illinois was Defending toward the Sidelines. When You are operating onn a compressed 25 Yard space, that isn't going to bhe as open as it ways during Regulation.
Carey has fixed almost everything in the offense. The one play they continue to run that does not work is that option play. It's' almost always a negative yardage play.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT