ADVERTISEMENT

Question for coaches or those that think they are experts...

hurryin76hoosier

All-American
Nov 3, 2002
Fishers, IN
I've seen on here and from some of the iu beat writers and bloggers on Twitter that allen was really outcoached yesterday. Ive been a football fan for 30+ years but am evidently not smart enough to see it for myself. What were the things that brohm did where he outcoached allen?

From where I sat, I saw an IU team that was clearly more talented than PU, and took advantage of that from the get go. They dominated much of the first half. Then our field goal kicker started missing, our running back got hurt, and pu was able to exploit our weak secondary (which damn near everyone has done this year). Put those together in a rivalry game on the road in sh*tty conditions, and you get the come back and close game.

What did I miss that had anything to do with in game coaching decisions?

I've seen on here and from some of the iu beat writers and bloggers on Twitter that allen was really outcoached yesterday. Ive been a football fan for 30+ years but am evidently not smart enough to see it for myself. What were the things that brohm did where he outcoached allen?

From where I sat, I saw an IU team that was clearly more talented than PU, and took advantage of that from the get go. They dominated much of the first half. Then our field goal kicker started missing, our running back got hurt, and pu was able to exploit our weak secondary (which damn near everyone has done this year). Put those together in a rivalry game on the road in sh*tty conditions, and you get the come back and close game.

You missed their no-name TB running for 7 1/2 yards per carry, although that didn't involve coaching decisions.

I think the poor field conditions favored us.........hard to run trick plays with a slop field, for example. But James getting hurt was bad luck.

I don't what you've been reading but the key decision in the game that was a clearly a "blown call" by anybody's Head Coach was Brohmardi "not" going for two "for the win" when he clearly had our defense back on its heels..., instead going for one, to go on to the 2nd OT... Had he done so (gone for 2),I doubt we would all (well most of us) be as happy as we are... I guess I should cut him some slack though..., I suppose it's really tough to call for a two point conversion when you have both of your hands wrapped firmly around your own throat...;)

My problems with the coaching yesterday were things like 10 men on the field on a big play, letting the play clock run out on a new FG kicker's first kick and adding 5 yards to the mess, twice having a player in game 12 hit the QB 20 yards behind the line on 3rd and long - details that a good team in year 3 and game 12 shouldn't do.

But overcoming those things matters too.

Wasn't perfect.
Could be better.

But .... 8-4 ... Bucket.

So I'm good.

I don't what you've been reading but the key decision in the game that was a clearly a "blown call" by anybody's Head Coach was Brohmardi "not" going for two "for the win" when he clearly had our defense back on its heels..., instead going for one, to go on to the 2nd OT... Had he done so (gone for 2),I doubt we would all (well most of us) be as happy as we are... I guess I should cut him some slack though..., I suppose it's really tough to call for a two point conversion when you have both of your hands wrapped firmly around your own throat...;)
Furthermore, I was shocked he settled for 3 in the 2nd overtime, it was 4th and 1.5 , maybe 2, we hadn’t stopped them the entire 2nd half. Plus he put himself in the 4th down position by calling 2 runs to Horvath. Not exactly genius in my book.

Furthermore, I was shocked he settled for 3 in the 2nd overtime, it was 4th and 1.5 , maybe 2, we hadn’t stopped them the entire 2nd half. Plus he put himself in the 4th down position by calling 2 runs to Horvath. Not exactly genius in my book.

Most overrated, overpaid coach to trod the earth... Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base...:D

My problems with the coaching yesterday were things like 10 men on the field on a big play, letting the play clock run out on a new FG kicker's first kick and adding 5 yards to the mess, twice having a player in game 12 hit the QB 20 yards behind the line on 3rd and long - details that a good team in year 3 and game 12 shouldn't do.

But overcoming those things matters too.

Wasn't perfect.
Could be better.

But .... 8-4 ... Bucket.

So I'm good.

Agreed on some of the undisciplined things, especially on defense. Just not convinced there was much brown did that made him clearly the better coach out there.

And yes...8-4. I'm thrilled!!

Reactions: mk23
And while I understand trying for a first down on the series that resulted in blown FGs, it would have helped the kicker to have run plays that ended in the middle of the field to give the kicker a bigger target. I know that didn't happen on two of those plays; not sure about the other one.

I for one was surprised and delighted when he made that decision...

Who are the beat writers making that claim? They don't know their ass from their elbow. If we were so clearly outcoached, why didn't Purdue win? Brohm had a good game plan, but there was no evidence of any brilliance. We were favored by 7, won by 3, never trailed in the game except briefly in OT, and emerged with a W on the road.

And Moore or not, we will kick their ass again next year in Bloomington with a healthy Penix and Scott.

P.S. And we would have won yesterday by two scores if our kicker hadn't had an uncharacteristically bad day.

Last edited:
I think one important point some overlook with regard to the game yesterday is Purdue playing with nothing to lose. I know, I know it is a rivalry game. Still, it can be much more challenging to beat a team willing to play all four downs despite field position for 4 quarters. I do not know how many times Purdue went for it on 4th down and/or how successful they were but having that luxury/mindset is an advantage in my opinion.

Reactions: Wyohoosier1
Who are the beat writers making that claim? They don't know their ass from their elbow. If we were so clearly outcoached, why didn't Purdue win? Brohm had a good game plan, but there was no evidence of any brilliance. We were favored by 7, won by 3, never trailed in the game except briefly in OT, and emerged with a W on the road.

And Moore or not, we will kick their ass again next year in Bloomington with a healthy Penix and Scott.

P.S. And we would have won yesterday by two scores if our kicker hadn't had an uncharacteristically bad day.

Kick their ass "again"?

IF Moore & Bell come both come into the game healthy, and all 3 QBs are back for them, they will be formidable. Keep in mind that they have 4 4* coming in next year, including a DE, a TB, and another WR. Karlaftis is also an animal. Thankfully, Hopkins will be gone.

IF we get our defensive techniques/coaching straightened out, if Penix is healthy, and Cronk comes back we will be formidable. I want to see what Hewitt and Brown can add to the WR corps. I liked what I saw today from Person at DT, and want to see this year's other freshmen there get in the action.

As always, a lot will depend on who is luckier on injuries. I can't imagine moving the IU-Purdue game away from the last WE, but it is unfortunate that the OOB game never features both teams at their best. Unlike the Michigans & OSUs of the world, IU & Purdue will always have depth issues.

IF both games come into that game healthy, it could be the best OOB match-up in 30 years.

Brohm should have taken the UL job last year. At least he would have made big money for his mediocrity - though I'm sure he's not going hungry now.

Sio, Elliott have been banged up. Had to play Person in his 4th game which means he's out for the bowl game. One of our worst games against the run.

You missed their no-name TB running for 7 1/2 yards per carry, although that didn't involve coaching decisions.

I think the poor field conditions favored us.........hard to run trick plays with a slop field, for example. But James getting hurt was bad luck.

People just like to throw around “outcoached” to make themselves sound like experts and to be lazy. It’s especially dumb after a win.

A lot of people will make that claim because IU had a significant lead very late in the 3rd quarter and Purdue came back to force OT.

I don't think Brohm outcoached Allen, the victory is all the proof I need to support my stance.

Purdue did miss on 4th and inches in regulation.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
And while I understand trying for a first down on the series that resulted in blown FGs, it would have helped the kicker to have run plays that ended in the middle of the field to give the kicker a bigger target. I know that didn't happen on two of those plays; not sure about the other one.
Logan pushed the first 2 kicks to the right. I think he over corrected on the 3rd one so it wouldn't go right and it just missed left.

Bad day for him to have a bad day. But he's been perfect all year, except for 1 missed XP against Nebraska.

I'll give him a pass - since we won.

We looked pretty lost and unprepared on D. Guys looking at the sideline when the ball is snapped on D....or not even on the field.

O looked pretty good when we had James available.

D organization needs to be tightened up a bit.

Reactions: Al Bino
I actually was a little worried they would go for two, but he probably thought the way Horvath was running that they'd have no problem getting into the end zone in OT. Peyton's clutch throws though, first to Nick Westbrook for a TD, and then to Peyton Hendershot down to the 1-yard-line, I thought were the two most important plays in the game.

We need new coaches on defense. Allen isn’t the problem.
We also need more talent and experience on the DL. Pressure on passers and the ability to win one-on-one battles at the LOS makes all the difference in the world in how good your linebackers and defensive backs look - as well as how your coaches look.

I'm not sold on Wommack yet either. The indecision getting lined up and problems with calls are squarely on him. With that said, until/unless we get better pressure in passing situations our pass coverage is going to get exploited. B1G level quarterbacks are going to make great throws if they have time to survey the field and step into throws. Look at the film from yesterday and see what the PUke qb's passes looked like when we had pressure vs when we did not. Or look at what Shea Patterson did to us and to OSU in the first half vs. the second half of yesterdays game when the Buckeyes were able to get to him.

It all still begins and ends up front. Hopefully we are better there next year with maturity.

We looked pretty lost and unprepared on D. Guys looking at the sideline when the ball is snapped on D....or not even on the field.

O looked pretty good when we had James available.

D organization needs to be tightened up a bit.

I’d say D organization needs to be tightened up more than “a bit.” All season they’ve seemed like thinking vs playing relaxed, always looking to the sidelines up to the snap, and then having hard time making big stops when needed, esp bs MSU & PSU, which were two very winnable games. Clearly I don’t consider Womack to be an equal talent to DeBoer for the D.

Reactions: IU73 and mk23
One could make the argument that Brohm is a better x's and o's coach than Allen...I'd listen to that.

But being a head coach is so much more that just the x's and o's. Leadership, hiring great people, building culture, recruiting, etc. etc. etc. all go in to it too. Allen is smart enough to hire a really good OC in DeBoer. He's building a great culture, he's recruiting well. To me he's doing all the things a good HC needs to do to be successful. I'm sure he recognizes the defense needs to be addressed, and penalties/discipline need to improve.

8 wins, bucket in hand, chance for a good bowl game location, foundation of good, young players = scoreboard. I think Brohm and Allen are both really solid coaches, and TA probably has more room for growth to get even better.

I think one important point some overlook with regard to the game yesterday is Purdue playing with nothing to lose. I know, I know it is a rivalry game. Still, it can be much more challenging to beat a team willing to play all four downs despite field position for 4 quarters. I do not know how many times Purdue went for it on 4th down and/or how successful they were but having that luxury/mindset is an advantage in my opinion.
Well, I guess. What did we have to play for? Seems to me the stakes were really pretty equal (like most bucket games). We might get a slightly better bowl, but that's about it. All that said, I am darned glad to get that bucket back to Bloomington.

Last edited:
Logan pushed the first 2 kicks to the right. I think he over corrected on the 3rd one so it wouldn't go right and it just missed left.

Bad day for him to have a bad day. But he's been perfect all year, except for 1 missed XP against Nebraska.

I'll give him a pass - since we won.
It just seems to knock the wind out of the entire team when the kicker shanks one. Or two. But yeah, it's much easier to forgive when there's a W at the end of the day. Unlike the freaking Colts and Adam Shankatieri.

Reactions: Lillyr66 and DANC
Overpaid and overrated any way you slice it...

p u propagandists are always good for a chuckle...

Thinking about your 6 million dollar mans coaching jobs against Nevada and Auburn are always good for a deep belly laugh...

Overpaid and overrated any way you slice it...

p u propagandists are always good for a chuckle...

Thinking about your 6 million dollar mans coaching jobs against Nevada and Auburn are always good for a deep belly laugh...

A coach is worth as much as the people who hire him are willing to pay. Three years ago Purdue could not give away tickets as the disastrous DH era ended with 9 wins and 39 losses in four years. The worst four years in the history of Purdue football. Finished last or next to last in recruiting in the Big Ten the last three years of Hazell. Attendance was at an historical modern era low. Brohm has more than paid for himself. HIs first year had largest attendance increase in Division I. Since then season tickets have soared, John Purdue Club memberships have grown, closing out second straight Top 30 recruiting class, plans proceeding for $125 million stadium renovation. Averaged 52,000 a game. Brohm has more than justified the investment made in him.

Brohm has hit a wall since the Auburn shelling. Another losing season next year, and things get REALLY tight for Mr Brohm.

The problem for Purdue next year looks to be their schedule. I could make an argument where they lose at least 7 games. Playing Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana on the road equals no picnic.....

Reactions: midwolfe and DANC
A coach is worth as much as the people who hire him are willing to pay. Three years ago Purdue could not give away tickets as the disastrous DH era ended with 9 wins and 39 losses in four years. The worst four years in the history of Purdue football. Finished last or next to last in recruiting in the Big Ten the last three years of Hazell. Attendance was at an historical modern era low. Brohm has more than paid for himself. HIs first year had largest attendance increase in Division I. Since then season tickets have soared, John Purdue Club memberships have grown, closing out second straight Top 30 recruiting class, plans proceeding for $125 million stadium renovation. Averaged 52,000 a game. Brohm has more than justified the investment made in him.

Still Laughing...;)

You ladies have been fleeced and in a Big way...

Still Laughing...;)

You ladies have been fleeced and in a Big way...
I honestly can't blame PU - their win over O$U was magical - but I don't think they had to drain the bank to keep him.

Louisville was a dumpster fire. He could go there any time he wants - all he has to do is indicate he's interested.

I think he knew he could get that huge contract now because PU would pay anything to keep him. If PU wouldn't have been slobbering over him so much, I bet they could have had him for a lot less, with an incentive-laden contract.

Brohm's a good coach - there's no question about it. Whether he's a good fit for Purdue remains to be seen, in my opinion.

I'm not making any predictions about Brohm's future success. FWIW, I think he is a damn good coach and a very innovative offensive mind. That said, your rationale for roi only works to a point. The trend for wins is down, not up, the past two years. If Purdue continues the slide ticket sales ( and other associated revenue) will undoubtedly decline and JB becomes enormously overpriced. PUke is not in the red with Brohm right now, but will be soon if he doesn't right the ship.

I understand the injury and youth situation, but it is frankly overplayed. Indiana endured serious injuries as well and is nearly as young as Purdue and managed to win 8 games. The problem I see with Brohm is that roster management is not very good. In year three, the Boilers should be deep enough to win more than four games despite injuries. Tom Allen won eight in year three because of better depth - and he didn't inherit a lot more from Kevin Wilson than Brohm did from Hazell. If Hazell left the cupboard so bare, why did the injuries to players he recruited decimate this team so badly ?. One would think Brohm's sophomores would be better than Hazell's leftovers if JB is such an upgrade.

Every team loses valuable players to injury each year. Hell we were down to a third-string left tackle and third string RB against you. We played with a backup QB most of the year. We were without a starting WR and a linebacker who had played key snaps the last two years. If you can't survive injuries and win, you aren't deep enough - something that shouldn't be a problem for a $6 million dollar coach.

I honestly can't blame PU - their win over O$U was magical - but I don't think they had to drain the bank to keep him.
Brohm played them the exact same way Crean played Glass after the Wat Shot season. At least in our case, Fred learned his lesson.

Reactions: IU73, 76-1 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT