ADVERTISEMENT

PU vs UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will literally be talking about FDU forever. It is arguably the funniest thing I've ever seen. I understand if this isn't your cup of tea.

If Keady and Painter do it for you, you know where to find them. Tom Crean wasn't any different and even made it to a FF.

What’s not my cup of tea is constantly finishing middle of the pack in the Big Ten and having one NCAA win in like 10 years. Shit, they were in the sweet 16 two years ago. When was the last time we were in a Sweet 16? How many coaches ago?

So you laugh at them all you want. They have a much better program than IU over the last 15 years and any unbiased person would agree to that.

Last edited:
IU fired Tom Crean: it just wouldn't work here. You can either accept mediocrity or not.
There's a difference between accepting mediocrity and unrealistic expectations. We have stuck with a coach that most likely would have been fired already if people like you would have had a say. Yet here we are, the first B10 team EVER to become AP #1 in the country three years in a row. Yes, the last couple years have been rough in the tournament, but people that live in reality understand that a one and done tournament isn't the best way to chose the best team. How many NBA teams that have been crowned champion would have never done so if they played a one and done style tournament? I'd be willing to bet it's at least 40% of them if not more.

One and done tournaments aside, Purdue has won some really big OOC games the last 3 years. We're also on the verge of breaking the National OOC win streak.

#18 North Carolina
#5 Villanova
#6 Gonzaga
#8 Duke
#11 Gonzaga
#7 Tennessee
#4 Marquette

As your cohorts have been trying to tell you, Purdue is in a pretty good place right now. You have the right to laugh at us for the FDU loss, but it's unnecessary to inflate it. Take it for what it is, but also recognize the reality that Purdue is at the top right now. I think every Purdue fan would respect that take.

Last edited:
Was PU missing Edey against FDU? Most of the podcast section about FDU is from a UConn fan who goes to NEC games, but ok.
No. They lost because they couldn't make a wide open 3. Guy's like Ethan Morton who was getting major PT just couldn't shoot. Loyer was on a shooting slump dealing with a calf injury. We literally shot 19% (5-26). 80% of those were wide open because they were surrounding Edey.

There's a difference between accepting mediocrity and unrealistic expectations. We have stuck with a coach that most likely would have been fired already if people like you would have had a say. Yet here we are, the first B10 team EVER to become AP #1 in the country three years in a row. Yes, the last couple years have been rough in the tournament, but people that live in reality understand that a one and done tournament isn't the best way to chose the best team. How many NBA teams that have been crowned champion would have never done so if they played a one and done style tournament? I'd be willing to bet it's at least 40% of them if not more.

One and done tournaments aside, Purdue has won some really big OOC games the last 3 years. We're also on the verge of breaking the National OOC win streak.

#18 North Carolina
#5 Villanova
#6 Gonzaga
#8 Duke
#11 Gonzaga
#7 Tennessee
#4 Marquette

As your cohorts have been trying to tell you, Purdue is in a pretty good place right now. You have the right to laugh at us for the FDU loss, but it's unnecessary to inflate it. Take it for what it is, but also recognize the reality that Purdue is at the top right now. I think every Purdue fan would respect that take.
@HoosierJimbo89 You laughing at this just confirms why someone like yourself needs to be ignored. I give you irrefutable facts and you think it's funny. Proves you're not dealing in reality.

What’s not my cup of tea is constantly finishing middle of the pack in the Big Ten and having one NCAA win in like 10 years. Shit, they were in the sweet 16 two years ago. When was the last time we were in a Sweet 16? How many coaches ago?

So you laugh at them all you want. They have a much better program than IU over the last 15 years and any unbiased person would agree to that.
I didn't fire Tom Crean. Him getting fired is how his tenure played out, and it didn't take 20 years. IU fans would not be ok with 0 FF's and losing to double digit mid-majors in year 20: you can disagree all you want. IU fans want NCAAT success.

@HoosierJimbo89 You laughing at this just confirms why someone like yourself needs to be ignored. I give you irrefutable facts and you think it's funny. Proves you're not dealing in reality.
If you want a third or fourth opinion, go get on the UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Texas, Michigan St., etc. boards and ask them if they would be okay with Matt Painter's resume.

I didn't fire Tom Crean. Him getting fired is how his tenure played out, and it didn't take 20 years. IU fans would not be ok with 0 FF's and losing to double digit mid-majors in year 20: you can disagree all you want. IU fans want NCAAT success.
hmmm, aren't you looking at 20 years since a final four when you fired Mike Davis? LOL

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Which is why IU is where it is. Not even making the NCAA.

IU in basketball reminds me of Minnesota in football. UM has 7 banners in football. They are just as relevant in football today as IU is in basketball. NADA

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
If you want a third or fourth opinion, go get on the UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Texas, Michigan St., etc. boards and ask them if they would be okay with Matt Painter's resume.
I guarantee that a good amount of them would say hell yes. However, this is the issue. You think IU is in the same level as UK, Duke, UNC and Kansas. They're not. You had a couple championships when the NCAA tourney was a fledgling tourney and ONE good coach. Outside of that IU is an average program.

I guarantee that a good amount of them would say hell yes. However, this is the issue. You think IU is in the same level as UK, Duke, UNC and Kansas. They're not. You had a couple championships when the NCAA tourney was a fledgling tourney and ONE good coach. Outside of that IU is an average program.
Let me know once you start the threads.

IU, by far, has had the most national success in the Big Ten. Wake me up when you get anywhere near that.

What was FDU ranked? Is FDU ancient history? November chirping is meaningless, but that is when Matt is at his best.
As far as the bball world is concerned, yes. All they are talking about is how Purdue won the Maui classic and will be #1 Monday. They were even talking on the Field of 68 the other night about how the FDU game wasn't relevant to Purdue's excellent body of work. I didn't say it, they did. I guess your FDU wet dream is over. Of course it will be brought up again come tournament time until Purdue drills their first round opponent. Maybe you can watch with the rest of IU nation as your team misses the tournament. Again. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
As far as the bball world is concerned, yes. All they are talking about is how Purdue won the Maui classic and will be #1 Monday. They were even talking on the Field of 68 the other night about how the FDU game wasn't relevant to Purdue's excellent body of work. I didn't say it, they did. I guess your FDU wet dream is over. Of course it will be brought up again come tournament time until Purdue drills their first round opponent. Maybe you can watch with the rest of IU nation as your team misses the tournament. Again. LOL
You can never live down the worst loss in NCAAT history. The season is young, grasshopper.

Link. Sounded like 3k total in a 20k arena. There were echos. Maybe I tuned into a quiet point in the game? Yeah, I suppose that could have been it.
lol. Ok pukeboi

Glad to see you back here today.

I wonder if there are any IU fans on your board? Is it still up and running?

Except actual Purdue grads who are instead here talking about IU

Reactions: ams66
Yes I do laugh about it. IU has been lucky 5 times in their history. The rest of the time Purdue has owned IU. The 5th banner was a "gift" from Purdue. Now THAT is funny! LOL
So based on your logic, if by chance Purdue wins it ALL this year, it will prove nothing and count for nothing. And we should all view it as nothing accomplished. It would all be based on luck.

Perpetual bitterness does lead to delusion.

Reactions: indiana ed
They were still the overall #1 seed. Purdue would have been a 1 seed back when Hummel got hurt, but they were put in as a 4 seed because he was lost, so obviously the committee didn't think it was that big of a deal for Virginia.

Again, I'm not going to listen to a biased podcast. All I had to hear is how they gloated about the loss in the very beginning to know that it wasn't going to be a fair assessment. You just want to believe what you want to believe. If there was a better team out there than FDU, then they should have been in. They earned it AND proved it by beating the crap out of the other 16 seed. You have PDS and it's pretty sad.
I’m sorry did you say something? Tough to understand between the tears

Your obsession with Purdue is embarrassing to our fanbase. Having so much denial just makes us look envious. It’s okay to acknowledge their success while hating them at the same time.

Painter has a good thing going there and almost every single national analyst would say he’s one of the best in the nation. They also win the right way and have built a program the right way.
DUI’s drugs, McDonald’s assaults

The right way. The poodoo way

So based on your logic, if by chance Purdue wins it ALL this year, it will prove nothing and count for nothing. And we should all view it as nothing accomplished. It would all be based on luck.

I think they are advocating for sitting out the NCAAT.

Ahh Hotdog. Been a while.

I don’t recall you being like this
Only in response to a few a holes. No I usually hold my powder. I'm going to just kick a couple of turds down the road and then I'll go back to just lurking. That is mostly what I do on other sites as well unless I feel something merits a response.

Last edited:
  • Haha

So you think luck plays no part? Talk about delusion. Look at 1940, IU was lucky that Purdue decided not to participate. Seems like LUCK on your part to me. LOL

• Haha
IU, by far, has had the most national success in the Big Ten. Wake me up when you get anywhere near

You can never live down the worst loss in NCAAT history. The season is young, grasshopper.
It seems to me that both sides can be correct - IU’s basketball history is certainly impressive but most hoops fans wouldn’t currently put IU in the top tier of programs. Purdue’s history in the BiG Ten has been impressive but their post season has been extremely disappointing. Purdue needs tourney success in order to be considered one of the current top programs. I guess the honest question is which program would you rather have this year and over the next few years? I mean you can laugh at Purdue’s failures - whatever gets you to sleep at night - but it seems to me most IU fans would rather have IU’s program gain some relevancy again and get back to where it once was instead of just taking joy in another team’s misfortunes. What do I know? Probably not much.

lol. Ok pukeboi

Glad to see you back here today.

I wonder if there are any IU fans on your board? Is it still up and running?
Seriously, after I saw (heard?) that, I thought to myself, “remember to check the box score for the attendance because that crowd sounds sparse.” So I did. And do you know what I found? The ESPN box score did not report the attendance. I thought that was odd, so I checked another, and another, and another. And do you know what I found? Not a single box score reported the attendance. Weird.

Reactions: Bill4411
Barrister Jimbo….

They certainly seem relevant to you.

This thread is 5 days old and 330+ posts strong thanks to your infantile repetition of a well established obsession with a university merely mentioned in on OP by a member of this board asking for casual opinion.

The result you continue to nurture is embarrassing on a number of levels for my university that you allegedly matriculated and received not only primary but advanced certification.
One begins to wonder.

All of this over a holiday week/weekend with countless entertaining televised athletic events and the assumption of some semblance of opportunity
for altruistic if not simply family oriented activity. It’s called Thanksgiving.

The time invested here in lieu of rational/normal pursuits goes to relevance if nothing else.

Irrelevance your honor?

I object on the sole basis of counsel’s incessancy on the subject institution.

Sustained.

So you think luck plays no part? Talk about delusion. Look at 1940, IU was lucky that Purdue decided not to participate. Seems like LUCK on your part to me. LOL
Don’t try to spin and deflect with me. You said luck was the only reason IU had five banners. Now you asked me if luck plays “any” part.

You said all five banners were because of luck. Was 1976 luck? Going undefeated the entire season? Losing one game in two years? A team winning it all with that kind of record, wins because of luck?

Well, let’s run with your form of logic for a minute. Are you telling me PU’s struggles in the tourney are because of bad luck? That they lost to a number 17 seed last year because of bad luck? And the previous year… Bad luck. Again the year before that… Bad luck. The year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that… See the logic falls apart at that point.

Btw who sent you the invite? Still waiting.

Last edited:
Don’t try to spin and deflect with me. You said luck was the only reason IU had five banners. Now you asked me if luck plays “any” part.

You said all five banners were because of luck. Was 1976 luck? Going undefeated the entire season? Losing one game in two years? A team winning it all with that kind of record, wins because of luck?

Well, let’s run with your form of logic for a minute. Are you telling me PU’s struggles in the tourney are because of bad luck? That they lost to a number 17 seed last year because of bad luck? And the previous year… Bad luck. Again the year before that… Bad luck. The year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that… See the logic falls apart at that point.

Btw who sent you the invite? Still waiting.
You have very good points on all of this accept for the highlighted areas.

First of all, you're being a tad ridiculous saying 17 seed and you know it.

Second, yes I'd say last year was partially because of bad luck. A team dares you to beat them from 3 and you get wide open looks all game but shoot almost half of your average for the year and probably your worst shooting performance of the season. Shoot their average and they win, and their average wasn't very good. That's bad luck. The rest of the reason as to why we lost is because we relied heavily on freshman guards. They got scared down the stretch and you could see it.

The year before that, the team Purdue lost to also beat the 2 seed Kentucky. That would suggest that it was a better team than their seed, however our star player had arguably his worst game of his career as a Boilermaker. I'd say that was a little bit of bad luck too.

The year before that, Purdue shit the bed.

That's it. 3 bad years.

From there it goes like this moving backwards in time:

1 seed Virginia
3 seed Texas Tech
1 seed Kansas
12 seed Little Rock (young Purdue team, went to 2 OT's)
8 seed Cincy
2 seed Kansas
11 seed VCU (final four team)
1 seed Duke
1 seed Connecticut
3 seed Xavier
1 seed Florida

That rounds out Purdue under Matt Painter. So this narrative that we always bomb to lower seeds is just that. A narrative. The last 3 years is an anomaly in a lot of ways (across the board, not just for Purdue). We've seen more teams advancing further in the tournament than years past and it's mostly due to Covid holdover players. Mid majors are getting older and more experienced and it's paid dividends in the tournament.

BTW it was by sheer bad luck that Purdue didn't make the F4. It took a minor miracle for Virginia to get the game to OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT