ADVERTISEMENT

PU vs UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said. You’re spot on. Now, can we please get back to Courtsense’s obsession with crowd size? Reminds of someone. He’s fat, doesn’t know anything about basketball, lives in Florida…….I’ll think of it in a minute….
Goes to all the trouble to create a new user name just to troll me.

Good to be king

I don’t what will happen in Atlanta. All I know is that the sponsor of that MSG tournament was so embarrassed by the turnout that they didn’t announce ticket sales or attendance. That’s not something one sees every day.
I know you will be glued to all IU games. Now you can also root not only for Auburn but for a huge turnout by their fans

I don't totally dismiss Wooden. It is complicated. Would he have been as successful without the benefits? At the end of the day, he only hurt his own record/legacy because people can ask that question.
He would not have had the rosters he did without Gilbert paying for them.

Wooden was a good coach and he might have won a natty without those rosters but his legacy and all those banners were bought and paid for. That is not in debate.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Only in response to a few a holes. No I usually hold my powder. I'm going to just kick a couple of turds down the road and then I'll go back to just lurking. That is mostly what I do on other sites as well unless I feel something merits a response.
Which board was Hotdog on? Peegs?

I know you will be glued to all IU games. Now you can also root not only for Auburn but for a huge turnout by their fans
1. I don’t root for turnouts. I observe them.
2. I have no idea when IU plays Auburn or where one could find it to watch it. Is it one of those streaming only games?

2. I have no idea when IU plays Auburn or where one could find it to watch it. Is it one of those streaming only games?
My nephew was at the Maui Tournament, and he said Purdue and Kansas had the largest crowds. Said each had roughly 1.000 people there during the beginning games. The final game had 4,000 people and most were Purdue fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
It seems to me that both sides can be correct - IU’s basketball history is certainly impressive but most hoops fans wouldn’t currently put IU in the top tier of programs. Purdue’s history in the BiG Ten has been impressive but their post season has been extremely disappointing. Purdue needs tourney success in order to be considered one of the current top programs. I guess the honest question is which program would you rather have this year and over the next few years? I mean you can laugh at Purdue’s failures - whatever gets you to sleep at night - but it seems to me most IU fans would rather have IU’s program gain some relevancy again and get back to where it once was instead of just taking joy in another team’s misfortunes. What do I know? Probably not much.
Good post, but PU needs sustained tourney success before anyone would ever include you guys in the "elite" group with the likes of UNC, KY, KU, Duke, Nova and UCONN. Despite our dismal results I think most people would consider IU and PU on similar ground in that regard even now, and amazingly, we went farther last year and lost to a F4 team in Miami. Before you could be considered in that elite group, you really need a championship but a Final 4 would help you along that road immensely and is a necessity at this point for PU to move up in the national conscience.

He would not have had the rosters he did without Gilbert paying for them.

Wooden was a good coach and he might have won a natty without those rosters but his legacy and all those banners were bought and paid for. That is not in debate.
Is it not what IU is trying to do today? Lets buy a team(We have more NIL money than anyone in the BT) we can out bid everyone! How is that working out for IU? Just funny as can be! I hope you guys get some value for all that dough!

Is it not what IU is trying to do today? Lets buy a team(We have more NIL money than anyone in the BT) we can out bid everyone! How is that working out for IU? Just funny as can be! I hope you guys get some value for all that dough!
Good to see you back here bright and early this morning

No Indiana is not trying to run a dirty program, but thanks for asking

Reactions: indiana ed
Good to see you back here bright and early this morning

No Indiana is not trying to run a dirty program, but thanks for asking
As are you Bowl Day Doris.
Remember to mention how well we traveled.

Give Jimbo a morning tug so you can so two you can keep representing the rest of us in such stellar fashion.

#Growup.

Go Hoosiers.

POTFB

As are you Bowl Day Doris.
Remember to mention how well we traveled.

Give Jimbo a morning tug so you can so two you can keep representing the rest of us in such stellar fashion.

#Growup.

Go Hoosiers.

POTFB
I am on my own board.

And not pretending;

Basketball is a skilled sport: normally, the most skilled players and coaches win. I'm not going to walk into a Pacers' practice and get lucky and beat one of those guys in 1 on 1. It was no accident or luck that IU had like 7 NBA players on the 1975 era roster and Bob Knight as coach.

Painter is very much a product of Keady: the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.
Painter is as much a product of Bobby Knight as he is Gene Keady and anyone that knows anything about him knows it.

In their last 10 years of conference play, Keady was 82-86 and Knight was 84-84. It seems the mentors/mentees of both programs have had difficulty adjusting to modern success. The keady teams had wild seasonal swings while Knight was solidly .500. Painter has had a slow change in philosophy while the IU program seems to have finally found an identity under Woodson.

Reactions: z_one
What is our identity under CMW
I see what you’re saying. They’ve had issues defensively this year - but overall Woodson’s teams have been excellent defensively. He knows what he’s doing. Offense has been better finding the scorers. I watched an Archie Miller game in Mackey and I swear he ran the same play 35 times.

What is our identity under CMW ?
That’s a tough question as, to me at least, identity is tied to culture not just the stuff you are running and the people you have running it.

It’s fair to say IU needed a culture change when Woodson took over. But, complicating all of that is the biggest sea change in the history of college athletics, NIL. Add the portal, and the landscape is as different as it could possibly be. But, making things even more confusing you have the Covid year, so we have seen kids play 5, even 6 years. Some of those kids, I mean men, may be playing till they are 23-24 years old, but for multiple programs. So, it’s a crazy mixture.

I think, at some point, IU is going to be a blend of 4 year recruits, portal players and some studs that play a year or two. But, I don’t think anyone has an idea what type of culture that leads to under coach Woodson.

Seriously, after I saw (heard?) that, I thought to myself, “remember to check the box score for the attendance because that crowd sounds sparse.” So I did. And do you know what I found? The ESPN box score did not report the attendance. I thought that was odd, so I checked another, and another, and another. And do you know what I found? Not a single box score reported the attendance. Weird.
Literally took about 1 minute to figure out that only the second game of each day of the Empire Classic listed attendance. 18k for the Sunday games. 11k for the Monday games.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Literally took about 1 minute to figure out that only the second game of each day of the Empire Classic listed attendance. 18k for the Sunday games. 11k for the Monday games.
insomniac?

18k!! How do you quiet 18k people?

If the actual attendance (not tickets purchased, probably by the sponsors) was 18k, George.Smalley will never post here again.

I was hoping no one would help smalldick out and allow him to continue to flounder here ever single day.

I saw the numbers right away as well. That is announced attendance meaning tickets sold so there were likely a few less actually there. The biggest game by far was IU/Uconn as one would expect and IU fans were alot more visible and vocal. You would think the game photos showing lots of people in the upper deck would have clued this clown into shutting up.

But embittered IU obsession is tough for them to overcome, especially when your own top ranked team draws flies.

• Love
Reactions: Crowd size fraud
insomniac?

18k!! How do you quiet 18k people?

If the actual attendance (not tickets purchased, probably by the sponsors) was 18k, George.Smalley will never post here again.
wasn't a very exciting game. IU stayed in contact, but was never a threat, so what exactly did you expect people to be loud and cheering for? IU fans travel extremely well, and I've seen it multiple times in locales way less exciting than NYC/MSG,and expect the same in Atlanta in 2 weeks for Auburn. You can dog our oncourt success vs PU, but support by fans is not an argument you're going to win. You might've had a nice crowd in Honolulu, but I can guarantee IU did in NY as well. Think the 18K was the gate...buh-bye!

lol, you will be glued to it.

one clown claimed here that Auburn in ATL is the same as IU in Indy. A home crowd like the Crossroads Classic was. He will be wrong as usual...just like his guarantee that Ahia would have 20K in MS "as they always do" They don't and they didn't. Not even close.

• Love
wasn't a very exciting game. IU stayed in contact, but was never a threat, so what exactly did you expect people to be loud and cheering for? IU fans travel extremely well, and I've seen it multiple times in locales way less exciting than NYC/MSG,and expect the same in Atlanta in 2 weeks for Auburn. You can dog our oncourt success vs PU, but support by fans is not an argument you're going to win. You might've had a nice crowd in Honolulu, but I can guarantee IU did in NY as well. Think the 18K was the gate...buh-bye!

Attended both days in NY. Stadium was about 3/4 full and it was 50/50 IU and UCONN. Hardly any UL or UT fans there at all. In the streets, IU and red everywhere. Was a fun atmosphere. Unfortunately I stayed at the UCONN team hotel so that kinda sucked... lol

Reactions: .Gerdis
Painter is no different than Keady, and their style of play is maybe the biggest reason why the Big Ten is such an ass backwards conference. If that does it for you, I'm sorry. There is a clear ceiling. Painter may be the worst end of the year coach in NCAA history. Painter would have been fired at IU with his "results".

• Haha
All I have to do is look at what happened to Tom Crean. Painter would have been fired years ago. Big Ten titles and Sweet 16's sometimes aren't good enough. Could you imagine if an IU coach well into their tenure lost to a 13, 15,and 16 seed in a row? That coach would be hide strapped to a pine rail and sent up the Monon Line. Painter and PU are the worst end of the year performers in NCAA history.
IU would love to have Matt Painter as their head coach.

Says the Purdue guy to IU fans. 🤣 Jimbo is right with the Crean comparison.
I watched some of PU/Texas Southern the other night. Hummel kept bringing up the 3rd consecutive year with a #1 rank. He never mentioned the last three tournament performances.

IU would love to have Matt Painter as their head coach.
I have said many times here and elsewhere that it would be interesting to know what Matt could have accomplished in Btown with the inherent advantages in support, funding, recruiting, facilities, exposure and tradition. Let alone the NIL advantages.

I doubt he would play the same WWE style he does in Laffy mainly because of the athletes that would have been within his reach. I believe that had Knight taken him, he would have liked matt a lot and kept him around.

Very interesting to think about.

• Haha
Does IU really have more NIL money than Ohio State or Michigan?

Ohio State is a HUGE university, so even in basketball I'm guessing that it can come up with a lot of NIL money.

Michigan has a pretty storied basketball tradition as well, and has a strong national brand. I'm guessing they also can come up with a lot of NIL money at this point.

And those are just two schools off the top of my head. We have always just assumed that IU has a boatload of NIL money for basketball, but do we really have the most in the B1G?

I have said many times here and elsewhere that it would be interesting to know what Matt could have accomplished in Btown with the inherent advantages in support, funding, recruiting, facilities, exposure and tradition. Let alone the NIL advantages.

I doubt he would play the same WWE style he does in Laffy mainly because of the athletes that would have been within his reach. I believe that had Knight taken him, he would have liked matt a lot and kept him around.

Very interesting to think about.
In fewest fouls per game last year Purdue was 7th at 13.7 while IU was 197th with 17.1. Facts are stubborn things. But sure, PU plays WWE style. I am sure just like the WWE that the refs are in on it.

Does IU really have more NIL money than Ohio State or Michigan?

Ohio State is a HUGE university, so even in basketball I'm guessing that it can come up with a lot of NIL money.

Michigan has a pretty storied basketball tradition as well, and has a strong national brand. I'm guessing they also can come up with a lot of NIL money at this point.

And those are just two schools off the top of my head. We have always just assumed that IU has a boatload of NIL money for basketball, but do we really have the most in the B1G?
It is never about how much money you have, but always about what you choose to spend your money on and how well you spend it.

In fewest fouls per game last year Purdue was 7th at 13.7 while IU was 197th with 17.1. Facts are stubborn things. But sure, PU plays WWE style. I am sure just like the WWE that the refs are in on it.

Loyer had three flops on block outs where he drew a foul with his 135 lb frame in one of the Maui games.

That's totally WWE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT