ADVERTISEMENT

PU vs UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't fire Tom Crean. Him getting fired is how his tenure played out, and it didn't take 20 years. IU fans would not be ok with 0 FF's and losing to double digit mid-majors in year 20: you can disagree all you want. IU fans want NCAAT success.
And how is it working out for you?

Don’t try to spin and deflect with me. You said luck was the only reason IU had five banners. Now you asked me if luck plays “any” part.

You said all five banners were because of luck. Was 1976 luck? Going undefeated the entire season? Losing one game in two years? A team winning it all with that kind of record, wins because of luck?

Well, let’s run with your form of logic for a minute. Are you telling me PU’s struggles in the tourney are because of bad luck? That they lost to a number 17 seed last year because of bad luck? And the previous year… Bad luck. Again the year before that… Bad luck. The year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that… See the logic falls apart at that point.

Btw who sent you the invite? Still waiting.
It is just bad logic and rationalization of mediocrity. Great coaches and great players win. If you are in a bad or mediocre marriage, the PU folk think you should just stay instead of getting out and next year is going to be different.

Who’s giving up? I come here and read about IU’s high standards and how Paint would not meet them. How are the high standards working for IU? Pls respond with a March comment cause it’s all you have.

Don’t try to spin and deflect with me. You said luck was the only reason IU had five banners. Now you asked me if luck plays “any” part.

You said all five banners were because of luck. Was 1976 luck? Going undefeated the entire season? Losing one game in two years? A team winning it all with that kind of record, wins because of luck?

Well, let’s run with your form of logic for a minute. Are you telling me PU’s struggles in the tourney are because of bad luck? That they lost to a number 17 seed last year because of bad luck? And the previous year… Bad luck. Again the year before that… Bad luck. The year before that, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that… See the logic falls apart at that point.

Just for the fun of it, here's the results of two other teams going back to 2007 and who they lost to

Team 1:

3 seed
2 seed
11 seed
3 seed
11 seed
1 seed
15 seed
7 seed
2 seed
4 seed
7 seed
5 seed
1 seed
1 seed
1 seed
1 seed

Average seed of loss of 4.7 while their average seed was 5.4

In 2006 this team lost to another 11 seed

Team 2:

3 seed
15 seed
5 seed
9 seed
1 seed
5 seed
1 seed
7 seed
2 seed
3 seed
2 seed
6 seed
1 seed

Average seed of loss of 4.6 while their average seed was 4.2

In the same time period, the average seed Purdue has lost to is 6.2 while their average seed was 4.8. Take away the last 3 years and the average seed of loss is 4 while their average seed was 6. So clearly, the last 3 years have flipped the script. Until then, Purdue actually played above their seed under Painter.

It is just bad logic and rationalization of mediocrity. Great coaches and great players win. If you are in a bad or mediocre marriage, the PU folk think you should just stay instead of getting out and next year is going to be different.
Mediocrity. Are you talking about Pu or IU? Only 1 of those teams has been mediocre for the past few years.

Reactions: z_one

I'll "spin" whatever I want to. You certainly do. Yes 76 had some luck involved. There is always an element of luck. IU had a damn fine team but IU won some damn close games that year. In fact if IU hadn't had some "bad luck" the year before with Scott May breaking his arm, IU might have gone undefeated two years in a row. You think that IU's luck wasn't bad that they had a quick turnaround after their play in game to end up getting whacked by St. Mary's by 30? If that isn't the case, why was everyone over here whining about it when it happened? A ball bounces one way or a foul is called another changes the outcome. May breaks his arm, Hummel hurts his back, fate turns on a dime, the simple flip of a coin or the bounce of a ball. It is not all luck of course. Skill puts you into a position to benefit from luck. But luck can still make or break you and often does.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
Mediocrity. Are you talking about Pu or IU? Only 1 of those teams has been mediocre for the past few years.
Shitting the bed against mid-majors 20 years into a tenure? Say what you will about IU, but at least we try and hold coaches accountable: we haven't given up like PU.

You have very good points on all of this accept for the highlighted areas.

First of all, you're being a tad ridiculous saying 17 seed and you know it.

Second, yes I'd say last year was partially because of bad luck. A team dares you to beat them from 3 and you get wide open looks all game but shoot almost half of your average for the year and probably your worst shooting performance of the season. Shoot their average and they win, and their average wasn't very good. That's bad luck. The rest of the reason as to why we lost is because we relied heavily on freshman guards. They got scared down the stretch and you could see it.

The year before that, the team Purdue lost to also beat the 2 seed Kentucky. That would suggest that it was a better team than their seed, however our star player had arguably his worst game of his career as a Boilermaker. I'd say that was a little bit of bad luck too.

The year before that, Purdue shit the bed.

That's it. 3 bad years.

From there it goes like this moving backwards in time:

1 seed Virginia
3 seed Texas Tech
1 seed Kansas
12 seed Little Rock (young Purdue team, went to 2 OT's)
8 seed Cincy
2 seed Kansas
11 seed VCU (final four team)
1 seed Duke
1 seed Connecticut
3 seed Xavier
1 seed Florida

That rounds out Purdue under Matt Painter. So this narrative that we always bomb to lower seeds is just that. A narrative. The last 3 years is an anomaly in a lot of ways (across the board, not just for Purdue). We've seen more teams advancing further in the tournament than years past and it's mostly due to Covid holdover players. Mid majors are getting older and more experienced and it's paid dividends in the tournament.

BTW it was by sheer bad luck that Purdue didn't make the F4. It took a minor miracle for Virginia to get the game to OT.
Bad luck…Tom Coverdale destroys his ankle as IU gets to F4. Alan Henderson’s knee blows up. Ted Valentine gets his revenge on RMK for the leather whip (and other things). Scott May breaks his arm. There’s a couple more banners right there. Every teams has its share of sob stories.

The narrative (Purdue vs lower seeds) actually goes back well into they Keady heydays. This isn’t a recent phenomenon. The last few yrs have just forced it under a microscope.
CMP teams have spit the bit the past several yrs but he’s also dealing with a legacy handed down to him by his former boss/coach.

Bad luck…Tom Coverdale destroys his ankle as IU gets to F4. Alan Henderson’s knee blows up. Ted Valentine gets his revenge on RMK for the leather whip (and other things). Scott May breaks his arm. There’s a couple more banners right there. Every teams has its share of sob stories.

The narrative (Purdue vs lower seeds) actually goes back well into they Keady heydays. This isn’t a recent phenomenon. The last few yrs have just forced it under a microscope.
CMP teams have spit the bit the past several yrs but he’s also dealing with a legacy handed down to him by his former boss/coach.
Basketball is a skilled sport: normally, the most skilled players and coaches win. I'm not going to walk into a Pacers' practice and get lucky and beat one of those guys in 1 on 1. It was no accident or luck that IU had like 7 NBA players on the 1975 era roster and Bob Knight as coach.

Painter is very much a product of Keady: the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Shitting the bed against mid-majors 20 years into a tenure? Say what you will about IU, but at least we try and hold coaches accountable: we haven't given up like PU.
I guess MSU and Kentucky needed to fire their coaches since they both lost to 15 seeds in recent history. Duke should have fired coach K for losing to an 11, 14 and 15 seed. Etc. Good to great teams get upset. You're just being an ass because you hate Purdue.

Purdue has plenty of injuries to show for losses as well. Hummel twice, Big dog, Haas. I'm sure there are many more.

I'll "spin" whatever I want to. You certainly do. Yes 76 had some luck involved. There is always an element of luck. IU had a damn fine team but IU won some damn close games that year. In fact if IU hadn't had some "bad luck" the year before with Scott May breaking his arm, IU might have gone undefeated two years in a row. If no luck is involved then why hasn't it happened again since then? You think that IU's luck wasn't bad that they had a quick turnaround after their play in game to end up getting whacked by St. Mary's by 30? If that is the case, why was everyone over here whining about it when it happened? A ball bounces one way or a foul is called another changes the outcome. May breaks his arm, Hummel hurts his back, fate turns on a dime, the simple flip of a coin or the bounce of a ball. It is not all luck of course. Skill puts you into a position to benefit from luck. But luck can still make or break you and often does.
What have I spun? Everything I’ve presented is fact based and logic. No opinion. No speculation.

I didn’t whine one bit about the ST M quick turn game. Was bad scheduling, but deal with it. IU lost because they were marginally good but ST M was better. Excuses and blame are for losers.

• Haha
I guess MSU and Kentucky needed to fire their coaches since they both lost to 15 seeds in recent history. Duke should have fired coach K for losing to and 11, 14 and 15 seed. Etc. Good to great teams get upset. You're just being an ass because you hate Purdue.
What is the difference between Izzo/Calipari and Painter? Come on, now.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Purdue has plenty of injuries to show for losses as well. Hummel twice, Big dog, Haas. I'm sure there are many more.
You still need to win something and consistently to be able to justifiably say that the injuries prevented winning big. There's a big difference between good and great.

I guess MSU and Kentucky needed to fire their coaches since they both lost to 15 seeds in recent history. Duke should have fired coach K for losing to and 11, 14 and 15 seed. Etc. Good to great teams get upset. You're just being an ass because you hate Purdue.

Jimbo is embarrassed by IU’s usability to live up to his expectations. His only joy is picking on PU.

What is the difference between Izzo/Calipari and Painter? Come on, now.
Calipari is a long time cheater, so I wouldn't put him in the mix. But with you, that's probably OK because he has won a natty. That's all that matters to you. Right?

Calipari is a long time cheater, so I wouldn't put him in the mix. But with you, that's probably OK because he has won a natty. Right?
He has been to Final Fours at 3 different schools. Perhaps he's dirty, it wouldn't surprise me. But, dismissing him totally because he's a "cheater" isn't logical.

• Haha
You still need to win something and consistently to be able to justifiably say that the injuries prevented winning big. There's a big difference between good and great.
I'd say that Purdue is the most unlucky team in NCAA. They've had the most regular season success without having it in the post season. Most of Purdue's best teams have had injuries that prevented them from getting there.

I would say Final Fours, National Championships, and way better recruiting.
They got those F4's and Natty's because of higher recruits. That's why Painter is considered to be one of the greats. He has Purdue in a very good position with nothing but 3 and 4 star players. Edey was rated in the 400's FFS.

Well Purdue has 25 Big Ten Championships. Bobby thought those were important.

You mean like you do Wooden?
I don't totally dismiss Wooden. It is complicated. Would he have been as successful without the benefits? At the end of the day, he only hurt his own record/legacy because people can ask that question.

What have I spun? Everything I’ve presented is fact based and logic. No opinion. No speculation.

I didn’t whine one bit about the ST M quick turn game. Was bad scheduling, but deal with it. IU lost because they were marginally good but ST M was better. Excuses and blame are for losers.
Well then stopping making them! LOL

I don't think I've seen anybody on here that is "happy" with the StM game. If IU didn't want to run out of gas, don't put yourself in a position where you have to win to get in .

I don't totally dismiss Wooden. It is complicated. Would he have been as successful without the benefits? At the end of the day, he only hurt his own record/legacy because people can ask that question.
At the time what he did wasn't a violation even if it might have been unethical. Calipari is a known cheat. Can't believe an IU fan would defend him even in an attempt to make Purdue look bad. Which by the way failed.

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen anybody on here that is "happy" with the StM game. If IU didn't want to run out of gas, don't put yourself in a position where you have to win to get in .
Well said. You’re spot on. Now, can we please get back to Courtsense’s obsession with crowd size? Reminds of someone. He’s fat, doesn’t know anything about basketball, lives in Florida…….I’ll think of it in a minute….

Seriously, after I saw (heard?) that, I thought to myself, “remember to check the box score for the attendance because that crowd sounds sparse.” So I did. And do you know what I found? The ESPN box score did not report the attendance. I thought that was odd, so I checked another, and another, and another. And do you know what I found? Not a single box score reported the attendance. Weird.
You spent a lot of time on this which is no surprise given your embittered obsession with all things IU.

Nice IU crowd in MSG, not classic, but as big as the next three combined.

One of your guys has claimed that Auburn will be the dominant crowd in ATL next month. But then he also guaranteed that Ahia would have 20K in MS this past game…it was nowhere close.

Who’s giving up? I come here and read about IU’s high standards and how Paint would not meet them. How are the high standards working for IU? Pls respond with a March comment cause it’s all you have.
You’re still here?

Your entire Thanks Giving weekend spent here begging for respect.?

Fail

You spent a lot of time on this which is no surprise given your embittered obsession with all things IU.

Nice IU crowd in MSG, not classic, but as big as the next three combined.

One of your guys has claimed that Auburn will be the dominant crowd in ATL next month. But then he also guaranteed that Ahia would have 20K in MS this past game…it was nowhere close.
I don’t what will happen in Atlanta. All I know is that the sponsor of that MSG tournament was so embarrassed by the turnout that they didn’t announce ticket sales or attendance. That’s not something one sees every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT