ADVERTISEMENT

PU vs UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a slugfest for sure and a good example of when referees aren't consistent and then try to get control in the second half.

Good experience that pushed both teams. Shows the importance of making your damn free throws.

Tomorrow will be another challenge but I like the stretch of games against high talented teams so it exposes areas to work on before conference play.

Reactions: Bill4411
  • Refs in that game were inconsistent at best. TN and PU both have room to complain.
  • PU had the fewest fouls called against in all D1 ball last year. Could be all the refs favor PU or that Paint coaches them to play D without fouling - your choice
  • Knecht is a player. Big miss for IU. Kind of guy you want on your team but hate on the opponent's.

This comment will get destroyed, but Purdue is fun to watch. They play hard. They are limited athletically, but get great movement on offense and their players seem to know and embrace their role.

They're going to be a one seed again.
My dad made a comment last night that hit hard. He said Purdue basketball is what IU basketball used to look like. Tough man to man defense, motion offense, physical play and high quality shooters.

This comment will get destroyed, but Purdue is fun to watch. They play hard. They are limited athletically, but get great movement on offense and their players seem to know and embrace their role.

At this moment..It's two L's in the Hoosiers column from them..

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
At this moment..It's two L's in the Hoosiers column from them..
We'll see. I haven't watched them this year and know they are trying to work in some more athletic players, but I think we'll still beat them once. Really looking forward to seeing Cupps and Smith go at it, and think we'll be treated to that a couple more years.

He's good, but from what I saw last night, his handle is poor.
That limited him last night, it will limit him to strictly 3&D in the league.
OTOH, if you pay me a couple of mil per year I'm gonna find a way to improve my handle and get that 2nd contract.

My dad made a comment last night that hit hard. He said Purdue basketball is what IU basketball used to look like. Tough man to man defense, motion offense, physical play and high quality shooters.

Purdue doesn't run a motion offense.

They have an offensive coordinator that holds up a cardboard sign that the team looks at running down court, which I am unable to confirm, but believe reads, throw it into Edey or throw it at the rim so Edey can get the offensive rebound and put back.

Painter is no different than Keady, and their style of play is maybe the biggest reason why the Big Ten is such an ass backwards conference. If that does it for you, I'm sorry. There is a clear ceiling. Painter may be the worst end of the year coach in NCAA history. Painter would have been fired at IU with his "results".

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Purdue has forfeited their ability to get a high seed ever again. The FDU #17 seed loss is the worst loss in NCAA tournament history, and they literally always lose to mid-majors: beyond pathetic. Purdue very well may be the worst performing program in NCAAT history.

Purdue has forfeited their ability to get a high seed ever again. The FDU #17 seed loss is the worst loss in NCAA tournament history, and they literally always lose to mid-majors: beyond pathetic. Purdue very well may be the worst performing program in NCAAT history.
3 years doesn't mean always. Purdue is better than last year due to addressing the issues that cost them last year.

3 years doesn't mean always. Purdue is better than last year due to addressing the issues that cost them last year.
The last 3 years by PU are the worst results in NCAAT history, and they aren't the only mid-majors Painter has crapped the bed against in the tourney. Painter is arguably the worst NCAAT coach in history. You lost to a #17 seed last year. Year 20 and you think you are going to see something different? SMH, lol

We'll see. I haven't watched them this year and know they are trying to work in some more athletic players, but I think we'll still beat them once. Really looking forward to seeing Cupps and Smith go at it, and think we'll be treated to that a couple more years.
I thought Smith would improve this year, but after watching him in a couple games, I still don't see how he's a starting guard in the B1G, especially on top team.

He is a bad pass waiting to happen.

You said the same thing about their football team. lol

Your backup QB will probably throw for 400 yards Saturday. I think our Defense has quit.

Painter is no different than Keady, and their style of play is maybe the biggest reason why the Big Ten is such an ass backwards conference. If that does it for you, I'm sorry. There is a clear ceiling. Painter may be the worst end of the year coach in NCAA history. Painter would have been fired at IU with his "results".
No he would not. You want to compare his career at PU and IU’s during that same time?

Reactions: birdforbogey
The last 3 years by PU are the worst results in NCAAT history, and they aren't the only mid-majors Painter has crapped the bed against in the tourney. Painter is arguably the worst NCAAT coach in history. You lost to a #17 seed last year. Year 20 and you think you are going to see something different? SMH, lol
Before the last three years, you could easily argue Purdue doesn't lose to lesser seeds often, why should you expect different. So yes, I expect different. Because this team is better than the last three years and has different, better pieces.

Admittedly haven't watched this year, but Smith and Loyer are no longer your starting backcourt?
Smith is way better than last year. Way better. Not close to the same player. Also have Lance Jones starting. Athlete Purdue didn't have last year. Heide and Colvin. Athletes Purdue didn't have last year. Terry Johnson had the offense taken away from him. PJ and Sasha call it now. Purdue plays with much more pace.

I was hard on loyer, but he is the reason Purdue won last night. He has a different role than last year since Jones and Smith handle the ball. Additionally, Purdue did more than survive without Edey last night.

Painter saw he needed more athletes. He's addressing it. That's what has been missing.

No he would not. You want to compare his career at PU and IU’s during that same time?
All I have to do is look at what happened to Tom Crean. Painter would have been fired years ago. Big Ten titles and Sweet 16's sometimes aren't good enough. Could you imagine if an IU coach well into their tenure lost to a 13, 15,and 16 seed in a row? That coach would be hide strapped to a pine rail and sent up the Monon Line. Painter and PU are the worst end of the year performers in NCAA history.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT