ADVERTISEMENT

PU vs UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have to do is look at what happened to Tom Crean. Painter would have been fired years ago. Big Ten titles and Sweet 16's sometimes aren't good enough. Could you imagine if an IU coach well into their tenure lost to a 13, 15,and 16 seed in a row? That coach would be hide strapped to a pine rail and sent up the Monon Line. Painter and PU are the worst end of the year performers in NCAA history.
But you can't say Painter would have the same results at iu.

And no, Purdue is not. Quit making crap up. Tennessee is way worse

All I have to do is look at what happened to Tom Crean. Painter would have been fired years ago. Big Ten titles and Sweet 16's sometimes aren't good enough. Could you imagine if an IU coach well into their tenure lost to a 13, 15,and 16 seed in a row? That coach would be hide strapped to a pine rail and sent up the Monon Line. Painter and PU are the worst end of the year performers in NCAA history.
They’ll be facing a Marquette team that’s built for the NCAA tourney and history tells us Painter and Purdue should struggle with them tonight. .

Reactions: Bucket Getter
They’ll be facing a Marquette team that’s built for the NCAA tourney and history tells us Painter and Purdue should struggle with them tonight. .
I've watched Painter crap the bed when it counts for 20 years: he is what he is. I also don't get my hopes up that Charlie Brown is going to kick the football. The little engine that could always runs out of steam at the end of the season.

But you can't say Painter would have the same results at iu.

And no, Purdue is not. Quit making crap up. Tennessee is way worse
I have watched mid majors beat PU's ass and even go to FF's. These mid major programs have absolutely no advantage over Purdue and beat them. If a mid major program that has no advantages can perform when it counts, why can't Painter and PU? There is no excuse.

That is the way it used to be. Now IU rarely gets the chance to get whacked by St. Mary's by 30 in the play in game.

Reactions: birdforbogey
That is the way it used to be. Now IU rarely gets the chance to get whacked by St. Mary's by 30 in the play in game.
#17 FDU is the worst loss in NCAAT history. PU is a national joke. Mid-majors own PU when it counts. IU lost to a Final Four team last year, and St. Mary's was a 5 seed. Archie Miller was the best thing to ever happen to Painter and PU.

Purdue has forfeited their ability to get a high seed ever again. The FDU #17 seed loss is the worst loss in NCAA tournament history, and they literally always lose to mid-majors: beyond pathetic. Purdue very well may be the worst performing program in NCAAT history.
And yet with a decisive record against IU. And more BIG titles. IU has performed better post season yes. Was it WSJ that called the #1 IU team that lost to Syracuse in the SS. the most underachieving team of all time?

Reactions: Denny go Boilers
I have watched mid majors beat PU's ass and even go to FF's. These mid major programs have absolutely no advantage over Purdue and beat them. If a mid major program that has no advantages can perform when it counts, why can't Painter and PU? There is no excuse.
Name every 12-16 seed that beat Purdue under Painter prior to the past 3 tournaments.

You also avoided my entire post. Congrats.

#17 FDU is the worst loss in NCAAT history. PU is a national joke. Mid-majors own PU when it counts. IU lost to a Final Four team last year, and St. Mary's was a 5 seed. Archie Miller was the best thing to ever happen to Painter and PU.
In perspective IU’s goal is now just to make the tournament. Not a lofty goal but it’s the reality of the situation. IU still get 5 stars but making the Big Dance is the goal. Good luck. .

Naw, that's your narrative. Watch the field of 68, they are gushing over Purdue. No question that Miller was the gift that kept on giving to Purdue. Painter definitely has a blind spot in his coaching. With 3 new additions it appears he has addressed part of his deficiencies. His defensive choices are still a blind spot for him. In the past his unwillingness to change has cost him a number of losses. It appears the loss to FDU was somewhat of a "come to Jesus" moment for him causing him to do some real introspection. Jury is out until we see if he can change when under pressure. That UT game was ugly, but they didn't crumble. Did FDU make Painter a "better" coach? Couldn't have made him a worse one.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
With IU’s inconsistency I doubt it. We would all take his program at IU

Naw, that's your narrative. Watch the field of 68, they are gushing over Purdue. No question that Miller was the gift that kept on giving to Purdue. Painter definitely has a blind spot in his coaching. With 3 new additions it appears he has addressed part of his deficiencies. His defensive choices are still a blind spot for him. In the past his unwillingness to change has cost him a number of losses. It appears the loss to FDU was somewhat of a "come to Jesus" moment for him causing him to do some real introspection. Jury is out until we see if he can change when under pressure. That UT game was ugly, but they didn't crumble. Did FDU make Painter a "better" coach? Couldn't have made him a worse one.
It's pretty clear he addressed the spots he perceived as weak. I tend to agree those were the weak spots. I think this year and beyond is going to be a transition away from what Purdue was last 3 years.

Before the last three years, you could easily argue Purdue doesn't lose to lesser seeds often, why should you expect different. So yes, I expect different. Because this team is better than the last three years and has different, better pieces.

They don't often lose to lesser seeds, true. I looked up Painter's record:

2005- no tourney
2006 -no tourney
2007 Seeded #9, lost to #1
2008 Seeded #6, lost to #3
2009 Seeded #5, lost to #1
2010 Seeded #1, lost to #1
2011 Seeded #3, lost to #11
2012 Seeded #10, lost to #3
2013-no tourney
2014-no tourney
2015 Seeded #9, lost to #8
2016 Seeded #5, lost to #12
2017 Seeded #4, lost to #1
2018 Seeded #2, lost to #3
2019 Seeded #3, lost to #1
2020-no tourney
2021 Seeded #4, lost to #13
2022 Seeded #3, lost to #15
2023 Seeded #1, lost to #16

So yes, 8 of 14 tourney appearances they were beaten by better seeds. Of the other 6, one (2018) isn't bad, losing to a 3 as a 2. Five of fourteen have them losing to double digit seeds. So prior to the last three seasons you're right, Painter's record was not that bad.

But hey, the last three were pretty funny, so there's that.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott

2005- no tourney
2006 -no tourney
2013-no tourney
2014-no tourney
2020-no tourney

So yes, 8 of 14 tourney appearances they were beaten by better seeds. Of the other 6, one (2018) isn't bad, losing to a 3 as a 2. Five of fourteen have them losing to double digit seeds. So prior to the last three seasons you're right, Painter's record was not that bad.

Pretty sure the #11 they lost to in 2011 was a final 4 team. Which, i think was Hummels knee. I know I'm right though.

The last 3 years are downright embarrassing, but that isn't what Painter is. And he's clearly growing from it. Or trying to.

2005- no tourney
2006 -no tourney
2013-no tourney
2014-no tourney
2020-no tourney

Yes I laugh at the last 3 because it beats crying or trying to drink the memories away!

In perspective IU’s goal is now just to make the tournament. Not a lofty goal but it’s the reality of the situation. IU still get 5 stars but making the Big Dance is the goal. Good luck. .
I think you are probably stuck in the Archie Miller era: if I was a PU fan, I probably would be as well. IU obviously has higher standards: once again, look no further than Tom Crean's firing. Painter's results would get him fired at most schools worth a damn, and it would be well before year 20.

Painter's system can result in some overachieving in the preseason and Big Ten: same as Keady. Play football, have some big goons that aren't good enough to get drafted, etc. However, the system obviously doesn't work in the NCAAT, and it has dumbed down the conference: I have 43 years of proof. Spare me the hype.

I think you are probably stuck in the Archie Miller era: if I was a PU fan, I probably would be as well. IU obviously has higher standards: once again, look no further than Tom Crean's firing. Painter's results would get him fired at most schools worth a damn, and it would be well before year 20.

Painter's system can result in some overachieving in the preseason and Big Ten: same as Keady. Play football, have some big goons that aren't good enough to get drafted, etc. However, the system obviously doesn't work in the NCAAT, and it has dumbed down the conference: I have 43 years of proof. Spare me the hype.
Painter's system. What is it? It's changed a few times and is changing again currently? 3 years of something doesn't make it what he is. The last 3 years isn't the norm.

Let's say Painter was at iu. You say the last 3 years would get him fired. Sure. Probably. But you also can't say he'd have the same results.

2005- no tourney
2006 -no tourney
2013-no tourney
2014-no tourney
2020-no tourney

The last three aren't just funny: it is the worst 3 year stretch in NCAAT history. The FDU loss is the worst loss in NCAAT history. It has been 20 years and no Final Fours for Painter, which is part of a 43 years stretch of NCAAT futility. I'm not exaggerating: these results are bad beyond explanation. This isn't stubbing your toe here and there, but results that would result in instant termination anywhere that matters.

Painter's system. What is it? It's changed a few times and is changing again currently? 3 years of something doesn't make it what he is. The last 3 years isn't the norm.

Let's say Painter was at iu. You say the last 3 years would get him fired. Sure. Probably. But you also can't say he'd have the same results.
Frankenball. There is a reason Edey didn't get drafted, and there is a reason mid-majors feast on it. Purdue has been playing football on the hard court for as long as I can remember. Normally, lack of talent and athleticism are issues. Painter definitely has a massive erection for Frankensteins that the NBA doesn't want.

There is no comparison in expectations.

Painter exceeding their expectations.

3 years doesn't mean always. Purdue is better than last year due to addressing the issues that cost them last year.
You keep saying this...what have they addressed exactly?

I haven't paid close attention, but they look eerily similar to last years team. Largely the same players. They run mostly the same sets. And you can see the same signs of them struggling against speed and pressure, that they showed at the end of the year last year. Like early on last year, however, their opponents aren't playing that way against them for entire games. Tennessee mostly did, and they almost beat Purdue despite not being able to throw the ball in the ocean, and despite Purdue shooting like 100 free throws in the game.

I'm realistic enough to say Purdue is a very good basketball team. They're going to win a lot more games than they lose this year. They'll compete for a B10 title. And they'll have a very high seed in the NCAA. And maybe the matchups will be more kind this year, and they'll win a game or two. But eventually they'll lose to a good, athletic, backcourt.

I wasn't sure, so I just went back to YouTube and watched the last couple of minutes of this game. Can confirm. Still hilarious months later.
I can't believe it actually happened: it is almost surreal. That s*** happened in year 20! You still have PU fans that get excited for the guy!

You keep saying this...what have they addressed exactly?

I haven't paid close attention, but they look eerily similar to last years team. Largely the same players. They run mostly the same sets. And you can see the same signs of them struggling against speed and pressure, that they showed at the end of the year last year. Like early on last year, however, their opponents aren't playing that way against them for entire games. Tennessee mostly did, and they almost beat Purdue despite not being able to throw the ball in the ocean, and despite Purdue shooting like 100 free throws in the game.

I'm realistic enough to say Purdue is a very good basketball team. They're going to win a lot more games than they lose this year. They'll compete for a B10 title. And they'll have a very high seed in the NCAA. And maybe the matchups will be more kind this year, and they'll win a game or two. But eventually they'll lose to a good, athletic, backcourt.
Jones, Heide, and Colvin add an element of athleticism at a level that they haven't had.

In the eyes of some IU fans like YOU there is no success without a banner. Purdue fans view success as winning a Big Ten Championship ( actually RMK’s primary goal). IU’s fans like YOU have not tasted success in 36 years. Purdue fans have tasted success 8 times in 36 years. Meanwhile Matt Painter continues his march to a future HOF induction.

The last 3 years by PU are the worst results in NCAAT history, and they aren't the only mid-majors Painter has crapped the bed against in the tourney. Painter is arguably the worst NCAAT coach in history. You lost to a #17 seed last year. Year 20 and you think you are going to see something different? SMH, lol
Jimbo one of those 3 years was a Sweet 16 and IU has not done that for a while!

• Haha

Standards for last 22 years?

That is pretty much all Painter has ever done. Once again, that wouldn't cut it at most schools worth a darn. If IU was good with those results, then Crean would still be here.

no Crean never got a #1 ranked team with 2 lottery picks to the Elite 8.

no Crean never got a #1 ranked team with 2 lottery picks to the Elite 8.
Crean has been to more Final Fours than Painter and Keady combined. Painter has 1 Elite 8 in 20 years: that is what we call the exception, not the norm.

Purdue has forfeited their ability to get a high seed ever again. The FDU #17 seed loss is the worst loss in NCAA tournament history, and they literally always lose to mid-majors: beyond pathetic. Purdue very well may be the worst performing program in NCAAT history.
It is hard to take your comments seriously because we all know it is only driven by your hatred of Purdue. I am willing to give IU credit when they deserve it. In your world, that is not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT