ADVERTISEMENT

PU vs UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to take your comments seriously because we all know it is only driven by your hatred of Purdue. I am willing to give IU credit when they deserve it. In your world, that is not possible.
I’ve never seen any of his comments to take seriously. His only joy in bball now is beating the Purdue can’t win in March drum while hoping IU makes the dance.

It is hard to take your comments seriously because we all know it is only driven by your hatred of Purdue. I am willing to give IU credit when they deserve it. In your world, that is not possible.
Do you think Painter deserves a high five and a pat on the back for losing to mid-majors when it matters, including the worst loss in NCAAT history? Those are facts, not opinions. Tom Crean got fired for similar results: that is a fact. We probably just have a difference of opinion regarding what constitutes good coaching performance.

Imagine having a highly ranked team in the Maui classic with 22 fans in attendance.

I understand that pu grads don’t have the highest disposable income but Jeebus
Dumbass clown, Purdue was lauded in all 3 games by the announcers for our fans. We showed out. What did IU do this week? Win a squeaker against a rocking Louisville? Hang that banner baby lmao

They don't often lose to lesser seeds, true. I looked up Painter's record:

2005- no tourney
2006 -no tourney
2007 Seeded #9, lost to #1
2008 Seeded #6, lost to #3
2009 Seeded #5, lost to #1
2010 Seeded #1, lost to #1
2011 Seeded #3, lost to #11
2012 Seeded #10, lost to #3
2013-no tourney
2014-no tourney
2015 Seeded #9, lost to #8
2016 Seeded #5, lost to #12
2017 Seeded #4, lost to #1
2018 Seeded #2, lost to #3
2019 Seeded #3, lost to #1
2020-no tourney
2021 Seeded #4, lost to #13
2022 Seeded #3, lost to #15
2023 Seeded #1, lost to #16

So yes, 8 of 14 tourney appearances they were beaten by better seeds. Of the other 6, one (2018) isn't bad, losing to a 3 as a 2. Five of fourteen have them losing to double digit seeds. So prior to the last three seasons you're right, Painter's record was not that bad.

But hey, the last three were pretty funny, so there's that.
What a lot of people tend to overlook is that the last 3 years have had a lot of "lower" seeds and non power 5 teams advance far. Why? Covid. There's a lot of holdover players making teams older and more experienced.

The last three aren't just funny: it is the worst 3 year stretch in NCAAT history. The FDU loss is the worst loss in NCAAT history. It has been 20 years and no Final Fours for Painter, which is part of a 43 years stretch of NCAAT futility. I'm not exaggerating: these results are bad beyond explanation. This isn't stubbing your toe here and there, but results that would result in instant termination anywhere that matters.
No it isn't. I know you want to wish it so, but the Virginia loss to the 16 seed was worse. Virginia was blown out. Purdue was in the game at least, even with how terrible they looked/played.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
You keep saying this...what have they addressed exactly?

I haven't paid close attention, but they look eerily similar to last years team. Largely the same players. They run mostly the same sets. And you can see the same signs of them struggling against speed and pressure, that they showed at the end of the year last year. Like early on last year, however, their opponents aren't playing that way against them for entire games. Tennessee mostly did, and they almost beat Purdue despite not being able to throw the ball in the ocean, and despite Purdue shooting like 100 free throws in the game.

I'm realistic enough to say Purdue is a very good basketball team. They're going to win a lot more games than they lose this year. They'll compete for a B10 title. And they'll have a very high seed in the NCAA. And maybe the matchups will be more kind this year, and they'll win a game or two. But eventually they'll lose to a good, athletic, backcourt.
Gotta love these people that say "I haven't paid attention, but you're the same".

Solid analysis.

Reactions: salient43
Do you think Painter deserves a high five and a pat on the back for losing to mid-majors when it matters, including the worst loss in NCAAT history? Those are facts, not opinions. Tom Crean got fired for similar results: that is a fact. We probably just have a difference of opinion regarding what constitutes good coaching performance.
Yes Crean got fired. IU has a higher standard. It’s working out so well for you that you have to constantly rant about the “little brother” to feel relevant. CONGRATS!!!

That's why you put someone like that on ignore. They're delusional.

No it isn't. I know you want to wish it so, but the Virginia loss to the 16 seed was worse. Virginia was blown out. Purdue was in the game at least, even with how terrible they looked/played.
Virginia was missing their best player, Hunter and #4 pick in the NBA Draft. UMBC was a bona fide conference winner and decent mid-major: check KenPom. FDU didn't win their conference season or tourney. FDU only qualified for the NCAAT because Merrimack was a D-2 school transitioning to D-1. FDU was 17-14, the shortest team in the country, and at the bottom of KenPom in the 300's. FDU won 4 games during the prior season.

The FDU loss is the worst loss in NCAAT history.

Virginia was missing their best player, Hunter and #4 pick in the NBA Draft. UMBC was a bona fide conference winner and decent mid-majors: check KenPom. FDU didn't win their conference season or tourney. FDU only qualified for the NCAAT because Merrimack was a D-2 school transitioning to D-1. FDU was 17-14, the shortest team in the country, and at the bottom of KenPom in the 300's.

The FDU loss is the worst loss in NCAAT history.
Tell us more. Feel better about IU ball yet?

Shaka year 3 vs Woodson.

Reactions: salient43 and z_one
Dumbass clown, Purdue was lauded in all 3 games by the announcers for our fans. We showed out. What did IU do this week? Win a squeaker against a rocking Louisville? Hang that banner baby lmao
Talking about fans IU had a huge contingent in MSG.

Puke had nada in HI. But that is consistent with your poor travel for all sports

Sorry Dave., my comments were driven by a one fourth-full small gym with a very small pu continent.

I would say it is unusual but we all know it is not.

IU FIRED BOBBY KNIGHT! Talk about stupid! Look in the Mirror BOZO! Your whole history, FIRED!

I think you are probably stuck in the Archie Miller era: if I was a PU fan, I probably would be as well. IU obviously has higher standards: once again, look no further than Tom Crean's firing. Painter's results would get him fired at most schools worth a damn, and it would be well before year 20.

Painter's system can result in some overachieving in the preseason and Big Ten: same as Keady. Play football, have some big goons that aren't good enough to get drafted, etc. However, the system obviously doesn't work in the NCAAT, and it has dumbed down the conference: I have 43 years of proof. Spare me the hype.
IU has won titles yes. They’ve won one in the last 40 years. Talk about living in the past. Expectations for IU currently are making the tournament. No national expectations. And that’s with having 2 players drafted in the NBA last season. How many 5 stars last year? This year? Btw…Purdue's best player was ranked around 440.

#17 FDU is the worst loss in NCAAT history. PU is a national joke. Mid-majors own PU when it counts. IU lost to a Final Four team last year, and St. Mary's was a 5 seed. Archie Miller was the best thing to ever happen to Painter and PU.
Now you're bragging about getting your ass beat by St. Mary's because it was a 5 seed ? LMAO! My how the mighty have fallen! LOL

Keady in the hall of fame
With no Final Fours. He could not do what Tom Crean, Mike Davis, and numerous mid majors have done. He was an awful end of the year coach that never won when it mattered. Mike Davis had a 9-2 record against Keady.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Until they face a mid-majors when it counts.
Is IU a mid najor? They’ve handled IU pretty well.
This argument is stupid. Purdue is the better program right now. It’s not close.
I don’t know if it will be the next 5 years. Purdue should be very competitive with Catchings and Harris coming and all the returnees.
I don’t know what IU does. Probably have a couple higher rated players but it’s what they do with them. They had TJD for 4 years and won one tournament game.
I will say IU will probably replace Woodson in the next 5 years. He will be in his 70’s.
The Knight days are long gone. davis, Sampson (known cheat when hired), Crean, lil Arch, and now Woodson.
Painter has his flaws but he’s probably a better coach than almost any of those guys.
And before mentioning Crean. He was voted by his peers to be one of the coaches operating in the gray area.
Sampson was a known cheater when hired.
Archie? Well Purdue fans would love to have him still at IU.
And Woodson? Verdict still out but his teams have had higher rated players than Purdue with worse results.
Remember it’s cyclical. Good luck.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
IU has won titles yes. They’ve won one in the last 40 years. Talk about living in the past. Expectations for IU currently are making the tournament. No national expectations. And that’s with having 2 players drafted in the NBA last season. How many 5 stars last year? This year? Btw…Purdue's best player was ranked around 440.
PU has never won anything. No Final Fours since 1980. PU has no end of the season expectations. PU loses to mid-majors when it counts in historic fashion. FDU #16 was the worst loss in NCAAT history.

Is IU a mid najor? They’ve handled IU pretty well.
This argument is stupid. Purdue is the better program right now. It’s not close.
I don’t know if it will be the next 5 years. Purdue should be very competitive with Catchings and Harris coming and all the returnees.
I don’t know what IU does. Probably have a couple higher rated players but it’s what they do with them. They had TJD for 4 years and won one tournament game.
I will say IU will probably replace Woodson in the next 5 years. He will be in his 70’s.
The Knight days are long gone. davis, Sampson (known cheat when hired), Crean, lil Arch, and now Woodson.
Painter has his flaws but he’s probably a better coach than almost any of those guys.
And before mentioning Crean. He was voted by his peers to be one of the coaches operating in the gray area.
Sampson was a known cheater when hired.
Archie? Well Purdue fans would love to have him still at IU.
And Woodson? Verdict still out but his teams have had higher rated players than Purdue with worse results.
Remember it’s cyclical. Good luck.
I'll give you Archie. Woodson is 3-1 against PU. Good luck with kicking that football, Charlie Brown!

FDU #16 was the worst loss in NCAAT history.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT