ADVERTISEMENT

Phinesee commits

You nailed it. For a top 5-6 all time program we should have no trouble landing someone a lot better especially when we have a starting spot available. Phinesee would be a great backup but if he ever starts on a FF caliber team I'll be shocked.
This is incredibly dumb. For his first class, Archie is doing remarkably well. And we've still got a good shot with Langford.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Well considering this is a rivals site I figured that was pretty obvious.
But if you want to have a truly accurate representation of how a recruit is being evaluated, you should use the composite and how he is being viewed overall. Simply stating his ranking on the site that you currently happen to be on as the definitive ranking is kind of lazy.

But if you want to have a truly accurate representation of how a recruit is being evaluated, you should use the composite and how he is being viewed overall. Simply stating his ranking on the site that you currently happen to be on as the definitive ranking is kind of lazy.
Ok I was simply stating Archie wasn't killing it in recruiting. This is a good foundation class and I think he has a great class in 19. All this could change if he lands romeo of course

Your lecturing people about how to evaluate recruiting? Seriously?

Reactions: Kentucky31
Ok I was simply stating Archie wasn't killing it in recruiting. This is a good foundation class and I think he has a great class in 19. All this could change if he lands romeo of course

I think he is fugging murdering it.

What did you think was going to happen? He would step in and land 5 star after 5 star in his first few months.

He got 4 top 100 kids from the Midwest, two from Indiana, what more could you ask for in the first 5 months?

It's a good class and about all that could be expected given that Archie has been playing catch up. I was merely pointing out that we're never going to be elite with just a roster full of the guys he's landed thus far. You need a couple guys like Cody and Yogi to have a chance of going deep. We have plenty of foundation guys in Davis, Cujo, Greene, Smith, Moore, Thompson, Phinesee, Hunter, and Anderson. We now need to set our sites on a couple of stars. Hopefully we land Romeo. If not we need to land 2 in 2019 IMO.

It's a good class and about all that could be expected given that Archie has been playing catch up. I was merely pointing out that we're never going to be elite with just a roster full of the guys he's landed thus far. You need a couple guys like Cody and Yogi to have a chance of going deep. We have plenty of foundation guys in Davis, Cujo, Greene, Smith, Moore, Thompson, Phinesee, Hunter, and Anderson. We now need to set our sites on a couple of stars. Hopefully we land Romeo. If not we need to land 2 in 2019 IMO.

How far did Cody and Yogi get?

If we get Langford it'll be top 5
I'm guessing Langford or Garland will make it top 5 to 7 with both making it top 3. I seriously think we have a chance at Romeo. It's currently more feeling than any real information, though the information I do have says if he likes what he sees on the court this year, we have a good chance.

They were ranked #1 for most of the season, won the B1G outright, and if they had a coach who knew his ass from his elbow or how to attack a zone defense, would very well have won it all.

Do you realize you just contradicted your entire argument?

I think he is fugging murdering it.

What did you think was going to happen? He would step in and land 5 star after 5 star in his first few months.

He got 4 top 100 kids from the Midwest, two from Indiana, what more could you ask for in the first 5 months?

Why can't people withhold these kinds of judgments until we see a product on the floor?

I don't ever recall, say, Bo Ryan lighting up the recruiting headlines (not that he was a slouch in that department) -- but he was a pretty damn successful coach, no?

That RL comment makes no sense. He has done VERY well, and yet if doesn't get one guy....he hasn't. I guess the recruits he has landed get worse when you don't get RL is that the logic?

That RL comment makes no sense. He has done VERY well, and yet if doesn't get one guy....he hasn't. I guess the recruits he has landed get worse when you don't get RL is that the logic?
What doesn't make sense? I'm saying it is a solid foundation class now...if you land Rome it goes from solid to a great class.

If we're the elite school we think we are/can be, we shouldn't be settling for the 17th ranked point guard....the most important position on the floor.

lol Wow, you REALLY worship the ranking down to the point. So if new rankings come out and suddenly he is top 10 or top 5, does your opinion change based on that publication?

What doesn't make sense? I'm saying it is a solid foundation class now...if you land Rome it goes from solid to a great class.

I could agree that it's an above average class. Romeo makes it a great class. We can get back to where we were in the 80's when we are getting classes like that annually. We can still do great things with the current class being coached by a great staff like we have. But if we want to separate ourselves, you have great classes with great coaching.

What people need to slow down with is this is only a few months on the job. Rarely do coaches get quite the jump start as IU has. What he's got committed so far is shocking to even recruiting analysts. This is not a good start but a great one. Remember Creans first classes.....

I'm not going to explain it to you if your not smart enough to understand

I haven't contradicted myself at all. I think Archie is doing a great job and wouldn't trade him for any coach outside of Brad Stevens who definitely isn't leaving the NBA anytime soon. I simply said that we aren't going to compete for national titles with a roster of only fringe top 100 players. Archie needs to add a couple of 5 stars at some point. It doesn't have to be in 2018 nor should it given how far behind he started.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
I haven't contradicted myself at all. I think Archie is doing a great job and wouldn't trade him for any coach outside of Brad Stevens who definitely isn't leaving the NBA anytime soon. I simply said that we aren't going to compete for national titles with a roster of only fringe top 100 players. Archie needs to add a couple of 5 stars at some point. It doesn't have to be in 2018 nor should it given how far behind he started.

The same clowns who thought Crean walked on water will now call you a "hater" if you don't think Archie should be put in the Hall of Fame RIGHT NOW.

The best two HS PG that I watched last season were Phinesee and Tyger Campbell at LaPorte LaLumiere. I am very excited to have Robert Phinesee at IU. I believe Phinesee is underrated nationally. IU now has 2 of the top 3 Indiana HS players in 2018, Romeo would be a clean sweep of the top 3! Another top 100 player, and another in-state Indiana All-Star added to the IU roster. For what its worth Phinesee is higher rated or equal to Hulls and Coverdale were in HS and they were great PG leaders for IU. Phinesee finishes at the rim really well and is a good floor leader, his teams win! 2 years ago the top 2 players in the 4A State Championship game were Phinesee and Romeo. Having both of them in the same backcourt at IU would be a real weapon for IU. Now get Romeo and Garland! Indiana home state roots are growing with Archie and his staff. Can't wait for the season to start!
Phinesee looks like a solid 4 year player. Indiana kid. Welcome aboard! I will note that it took Archie a matter of months to recruit a bona fide college point guard and Crean about 4-5 years (Yogi).

Reactions: birdforbogey
They were good players. But, Verdell was a combo guard at best, not a natural PG. Jordy was an undersized shooting guard and not quick enough to be a D-1 PG.

That became your opinion after they played for IU. When they were recruited (which is the convo at hand) they're all PG's. Hard to argue that Rob will be any different when he has yet to play a game for IU.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
That became your opinion after they played for IU. When they were recruited (which is the convo at hand) they're all PG's. Hard to argue that Rob will be any different when he has yet to play a game for IU.
No, that didn't become my opinion after they played for IU. I never thought of Verdell or Jordy as bona fide D-1 PG's coming into IU: this isn't a slam on them as players. To Tom Crean, maybe they are all PG's. However, there is a certain skill set and athletic ability required to be a D-1 PG. Verdell never had it. If Jordy was quicker, probably, but if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle.

It's funny you can't figure it out quite frankly

Phinesee is a much better point guard prospect than either Jones or Hulls. And its really not close.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
No, that didn't become my opinion after they played for IU. I never thought of Verdell or Jordy as bona fide D-1 PG's coming into IU: this isn't a slam on them as players. To Tom Crean, maybe they are all PG's. However, there is a certain skill set and athletic ability required to be a D-1 PG. Verdell never had it. If Jordy was quicker, probably, but if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle.

Are you sure about any of that? Does Caitlyn Jenner have her kids calling her mom? I'm guessing that's not how that works but you seem to be the expert recruiting analyst so I will leave that to you.

Phinesee is a much better point guard prospect than either Jones or Hulls. And its really not close.

Lol really? You do realize Hulls chose IU before he was about to visit Duke. Phinesee chose IU over Purdue. Hulls was the 19th ranked PG in the class (just like Rob) and many called Hulls a a pure PG. Hindsight is always 20/20 but don't get things confused with what people thought Jordan was going to be at IU.

Look, Rob could end up being great. My point is that there are a lot more similarities here than not when it comes to the recruiting front. It's a great pick up but to use this as reasoning to bash Crean is based on a false premise.

The 17th ranked PG in the country (and a Hoosier no less) picking IU is a cause for whining and dumping on him before he even sets foot on Campus?! Some really sorry posters here that can't even use PU allegiance as an excuse.

Bring it on RP - the Cream & Crimson welcomes you.
Don't be too hard on those that are still dealing with post traumatic Crean disorder (PTCD). We are used to projecting how good our recruits will be without a development process in place.

I never thought of Verdell or Jordy as bona fide D-1 PG's coming into IU: .

I don't think this kid is "bone-fide D 1" either.

He's short and thin.

Not a super athlete like Yogi (who was a 5 star). Borderline 4 star (some have him as a 3).

If he's the best we've got for 4 years, we're screwed. Even as a senior, some one and done 5-star from Kaintuck would eat him up.

I wouldn't say killing it. Arizona, Duke and U.K. are killing it. Landing 4 recruits and only 1 inside the top 100 isn't killing it. In my opinion 18 will be his foundation class and 19 he will hit some HOme runs

Miller has been at IU for ~4 months and has yet to coach a single IU game. One could make a comparative argument that he's "killing it" if you're going to bring up coaches like K and Calipari.

Reactions: YOTHN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT