ADVERTISEMENT

Peyton Hendershot Arrested:

I just cannot, CANNOT, WILL NEVER be able to understand why these kids do this stupid stuff. Peyton has so many gifts, so many things going for him, such a positive future and now...who knows...
Well, looking back I could say the exact same thing about...a dozen things I did around 20 years of age, but luckily--I was never caught. I never did anything like this towards a woman, but there were probably HUNDREDS of times I drove with a BAC over .08, or .10 even, as it was part of that time. I hate it, but I do understand it. I will say, when you're a kid with SO much more to lose than the average kid, you maybe outta' think about that, but you're still a kid.

The charges and allegations against Ellison were a helluva lot more serious than this.

And, he was never charged - I've always found that odd.

If players are going to get thrown out for this type of lovers spat (assuming that's what it was - we'll find out the story in time), then we're starting to swing the wrong way, where no one is allowed any mistake without a chance at redemption.
Ellison was suspended for 2 years from IU, and had the option of coming back and enrolling again. He got a deferred second chance. So will Hendershot, but it might be too late to play FB.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The charges and allegations against Ellison were a helluva lot more serious than this.

And, he was never charged - I've always found that odd.

If players are going to get thrown out for this type of lovers spat (assuming that's what it was - we'll find out the story in time), then we're starting to swing the wrong way, where no one is allowed any mistake without a chance at redemption.
I had a good friend who was a long-time prosecutor who had four rules for prosecuting cases. He used to share these with my students when he came to speak to my government classes and I still recite them to my students;

1. The first thing is to determine the credibility of the victim. Never charge or overcharge because someone is angry, seeking revenge, or has blown things out of proportion.

2. If the victim is credible, let the victim drive the extent of the charges. Sometimes there is more misunderstanding than crime and the victim is usually the first to recognize this. Sometimes the offense is deep, even deeper than the law allows or supports for the crime. Give the victim as much justice as possible.

3. Never try a case in the press. The facts always get distorted and nobody wins.

4. Everybody deserves a second chance, but only if true remorse and the best interests of the victim support it. Nobody deserves a third.

He had a reputation as a very tough but fair guy. I always found his commitment to those principles to be admirable.

Ellison was suspended for 2 years from IU, and had the option of coming back and enrolling again. He got a deferred second chance. So will Hendershot, but it might be too late to play FB.
You sure about that? I don't remember him just being suspended - I remember him being dismissed outright.

If these charges stick, Peyton will be gone from the team and it won't be a CTA decision, it will be a administration decision.

Indiana doesn't play around with domestic violence.

I respect your view as a prosecutor, but you guys are trained to go for the throat...
[...]
But, there may be more come out. I'm not judging either way, but from what has been shown so far, a felony conviction is WAY out of line.
That list of felonies was absurd:

There's no probable cause affidavit on file yet, but with the reporting on what happened, he'll likely catch a Strangulation charge (Lvl. 6 Felony), Residential Entry (Lvl. 6 Felony), and some level of battery charge as a misdemeanor. Based on the reporting, there's a chance he'll get a criminal confinement charge, which would either be a Lvl. 6 or Lvl. 5 felony, depending on some factors, but I'm guessing Lvl. 5. Potentially could be a Lvl. 3, which would obviously be a big deal for him personally.​

In this day and age, anything that even smells of domestic violence is initially charged as high as they can, but taken at face value these events fall into misdemeanor territory, with even a possibility of deferred prosecution if the girlfriend is agreeable. There's no reason or excuse for someone to be talking about multiple felonies. In fact, it guarantees cries of "He got off Scot free!!!" when the case is concluded sensibly.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Since we are weighing in on something we know nothing about it I’ll take a shot at it. My initial thought was that he was holding her at arms length while she was trying to get at her phone and he was using his free hand to scroll through her texts.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

There's no probable cause affidavit on file yet, but with the reporting on what happened, he'll likely catch a Strangulation charge (Lvl. 6 Felony), Residential Entry (Lvl. 6 Felony), and some level of battery charge as a misdemeanor. Based on the reporting, there's a chance he'll get a criminal confinement charge, which would either be a Lvl. 6 or Lvl. 5 felony, depending on some factors, but I'm guessing Lvl. 5. Potentially could be a Lvl. 3, which would obviously be a big deal for him personally.​

In this day and age, anything that even smells of domestic violence is initially charged as high as they can, but taken at face value these events fall into misdemeanor territory, with even a possibility of deferred prosecution if the girlfriend is agreeable. There's no reason or excuse for someone to be talking about multiple felonies. In fact, it guarantees cries of "He got off Scot free!!!" when the case is concluded sensibly.

Not a retort, just an explanation

Residential Entry 35-43-2-1.5 Lvl. 6 Felony
Knowingly or intentionally break & enter the dwelling of another.
Lesser included offense would be trespass. The next level up is Burglary, but that requires B&E with intent to commit a felony.

Domestic Battery 35-42-2-9 (one of the arresting charges)
Doesn't matter because DV charges only apply to battery to family or household members. Reports don't suggest that to be the case if they had only dated and didn't live together.
Similar charges would be B-misdemeanor battery (basic battery) or A-misdemeanor battery (battery with bodily injury). Also note, that for purposes of bodily injury, "pain" is sufficient.

Strangulation 35-42-2-9 Lvl. 6 Felony
Knowingly or intentionally applies pressure to the throat or neck in a manner that impedes normal breathing or blood circulation.
Reports were a grab of the throat and left marks the police observed.

Criminal Confinement 35-42-3-3
Knowingly or intentionally confines a person without the person's consent.
Standard: Lvl 6 felony. Lvl 5 if bodily injury. Lvl 3 if serious bodily injury.
Again, from reports, Lvl 3 doesn't seem likely. But either 5 or 6 is possible.

Yes, the Monroe Co. prosecutor could charge as low as A-misdemeanor trespass & B-misdemeanor battery and the conversion & crim mischief charges related to taking & throwing/breaking her cell phone. Heck, they could no-file completely. I don't know the people at that office, so I have no clue how they approach these things.

And you can think the laws are absurd, but that list above are the laws on the books. In cases like this, if I were him I'd be most afraid of the crim confinement charge because lvl 6 felonies can go in your record as misdemeanors. It's harder to get major felonies (levels 1-5) reduced.

Felony or misdemeanor, if he grabbed a woman by the neck and shoved her against the wall, he should be off the team IMO.

Felony or misdemeanor, if he grabbed a woman by the neck and shoved her against the wall, he should be off the team IMO.
Like my mama used to tell me when I was 6 years old and fighting with my little brother ‘keep your hands to yourself’,mama is always right.
No need to split hairs on this,realize what’s at stake and walk away.

Reactions: Bowlmania
I'm not buying the "his brain isn't fully developed" defense. If these allegations are true, he went to this woman's apartment looking for trouble and roughed her up. He knows, as we all do, that physical violence against women is wrong - - and criminal.

I, too, believe in forgiveness and redemption. But forgiveness is up to the victim, and redemption can come at another school.

If these charges stick, Peyton will be gone from the team and it won't be a CTA decision, it will be a administration decision.

Indiana doesn't play around with domestic violence.

Proven or not.

Just because someone is suspended doesn't mean that they're automatically gone.

Again, people need to take emotion out of this and think logically. If he's proven innocent, he'll be reinstated. If not, he'll be kicked off the team.

It's as simple as that. Let's let the facts play out before judgement.

Just because someone is suspended doesn't mean that they're automatically gone.

Again, people need to take emotion out of this and think logically. If he's proven innocent, he'll be reinstated. If not, he'll be kicked off the team.

It's as simple as that. Let's let the facts play out before judgement.
You are not 'proven' innocent.

In a trial, you're either guilty or you're not.

Ellison was never charged or convicted of a crime, and he was dismissed. I can easily see the same thing happening here.

Ellison was never charged or convicted of a crime, and he was dismissed. I can easily see the same thing happening here.
A criminal conviction is not a prerequisite for suspension or dismissal from a team or the school. In Ellison's case, an IU sexual misconduct panel considered relevant evidence and concluded that he sexually assaulted another student.

Fine.

If the charges are dropped or he's found to be innocent.

Is that better?

Morgan Ellison was found to have raped a girl by a IU panel. Notice it wasn't CTA that dismissed him. I've said all along, this won't be a Tom Allen decision. This will be a university decision. The kid was arrested. He was gonna get suspended. That shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

A criminal conviction is not a prerequisite for suspension or dismissal from a team or the school. In Ellison's case, an IU sexual misconduct panel considered relevant evidence and concluded that he sexually assaulted another student.
And...... ???

Do everything we can to keep him.
Horrible take.

I don't even care if he's not criminally convicted. Beyond a reasonable doubt is a high burden and not exactly the standard of proof IU uses to make these decisions (see Ellison). There are lots of reasons people are acquitted, but it doesn't mean innocence.

This whole thing is going to be a real test for #LEO. In spite of what the naysayers think, it's not a touchy-feely thing where you're "nice" to all of the players. It's about putting team above self and loving your brothers by not putting yourself in these kinds of situations.

CTA can't preach LEO and let a kid off the hook because he's All B1G caliber. Doing everything possible to keep him will be poison for the team long-term.

So if he did everything he’s accused of,you wouldn’t have a problem with him staying on the team?
How would you feel about it if he did those things to your daughter?
I don't agree with the poster you responded to, but you asked a question about how we'd feel if it was our daughter.

I can tell you one thing - I taught my daughter to avoid any such confrontation. And if she did, to walk away and deal with it later. I've also taught her that, if she's in a relationship, then be in the relationship and don't play games.

I'm not blaming the woman in any way. But you asked the question, and I tried to answer how I would feel. Fortunately, she's used her head and not come near anything like that. But, knowing her, she wouldn't put herself into that situation. If that's old-fashioned thinking, so be it. But when you play with fire, you can get burned.

Dad's need to have serious talks with their daughters about how to allow men to treat them and how to treat men. They need to recognize the power dynamic, both physical and emotional. In my experience, young women with good relationships with their dads seem to have more mature reltionships with people in general. But, I realize there are exceptions.

I will also say that, if there was any physical violence committed against my daughter, my response to that person would be more than proportionate.

Horrible take.

I don't even care if he's not criminally convicted. Beyond a reasonable doubt is a high burden and not exactly the standard of proof IU uses to make these decisions (see Ellison). There are lots of reasons people are acquitted, but it doesn't mean innocence.

This whole thing is going to be a real test for #LEO. In spite of what the naysayers think, it's not a touchy-feely thing where you're "nice" to all of the players. It's about putting team above self and loving your brothers by not putting yourself in these kinds of situations.

CTA can't preach LEO and let a kid off the hook because he's All B1G caliber. Doing everything possible to keep him will be poison for the team long-term.
If all things are true as originally presented , then I would agree, unfortunately, what factually happened is unknown at this point. I’m not advocating for action one way or another, just that the process needs to go forward and play out before anyone should be deciding PH ultimate fate at IU.
The girl involved was already on social media saying PH is not a “bad” guy, in fact he is a good man who made a mistake. She went on to say she has no bruises and PH has helped her far more than he has ever hurt her. She did say he has issues and needs help with them, this is not verbatim, but the general idea of what she said.
Before everyone hammers away, I am not condoning this behavior, and I have 2 daughters. What I am saying is, let the situation unfold before we have an online trial and conviction.
In 2015 Ralph Green had drunk, disorderly and misdemeanor battery charges for slapping a girl in the face, he was eventually allowed to return to the team, Ellison was found to have sexually assaulted another student by an IU panel and was permanently removed from the team. The point being there are shades of grey in these types of incidents, some merit removal, some do not, we shall see. I trust IU will deal with this fairly for all parties and we all should be satisfied whatever that outcome may be.

I don't agree with the poster you responded to, but you asked a question about how we'd feel if it was our daughter.

I can tell you one thing - I taught my daughter to avoid any such confrontation. And if she did, to walk away and deal with it later. I've also taught her that, if she's in a relationship, then be in the relationship and don't play games.

I'm not blaming the woman in any way. But you asked the question, and I tried to answer how I would feel. Fortunately, she's used her head and not come near anything like that. But, knowing her, she wouldn't put herself into that situation. If that's old-fashioned thinking, so be it. But when you play with fire, you can get burned.

Dad's need to have serious talks with their daughters about how to allow men to treat them and how to treat men. They need to recognize the power dynamic, both physical and emotional. In my experience, young women with good relationships with their dads seem to have more mature reltionships with people in general. But, I realize there are exceptions.

I will also say that, if there was any physical violence committed against my daughter, my response to that person would be more than proportionate.

How does she just walk away from someone forcibly entering her home and forcibly keeping her pinned to the wall while he went through her stuff? Is she just supposed to run out of her own house while he did whatever he wanted and just deal with it later?

This is essentially the same argument as "don't dress slutty and you won't get raped." It is victim blaming. It's also deeply patronizing and sexist. Anyone can be the victim of rape. Anyone can be the victim of domestic violence. No level of being patronizing to your daughter makes it so that she can just "not come near anything like that". Patronizing dad-talks do nothing to really reduce her level of risk. Women can't just choose their way out of being at-risk. Yours is a problem of being so caught up in your paternalism that you're unable to think outside of your lived experience as a man. All you have to do is look at your sexist dogwhistle of "don't play games" which is so gross to say to your daughter. Shame on you.

Reactions: Chriselli
How does she just walk away from someone forcibly entering her home and forcibly keeping her pinned to the wall while he went through her stuff? Is she just supposed to run out of her own house while he did whatever he wanted and just deal with it later?
I said I'm not blaming the woman.

The question was asked and I answered - it was about how I would feel if i were my daughter. And I'm telling you, I would hope my daughter would avoid a relationship where one questions the other and gets involved with someone who has to check their phone.

I figured this would evolve into some kind of discussion about right or wrong, and that's not what I was doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT