ADVERTISEMENT

Peyton Hendershot Arrested:

This is essentially the same argument as "don't dress slutty and you won't get raped." It is victim blaming. It's also deeply patronizing and sexist. Anyone can be the victim of rape. Anyone can be the victim of domestic violence. No level of being patronizing to your daughter makes it so that she can just "not come near anything like that". Patronizing dad-talks do nothing to really reduce her level of risk. Women can't just choose their way out of being at-risk. Yours is a problem of being so caught up in your paternalism that you're unable to think outside of your lived experience as a man. All you have to do is look at your sexist dogwhistle of "don't play games" which is so gross to say to your daughter. Shame on you.
Think whatever you want. Your kind of thinking has really helpd things, hasn't it? There's no objectifying women nowdays, is there?

People live however they want and deal with the consequences. I'm just telling you how I feel.

Shame on you for being triggered by the truth.

The bottom line is ‘if’ he did what he’s accused of he needs to be let go.
There are consequences to bad decisions,he’s 20 years old and should know how to walk away from a bad situation.
Live to play another day!

Think whatever you want. Your kind of thinking has really helpd things, hasn't it? There's no objectifying women nowdays, is there?

People live however they want and deal with the consequences. I'm just telling you how I feel.

Shame on you for being triggered by the truth.
So you're saying I shouldn't be mindful of the experiences or lived realities of women because I haven't changed the world? Thanks for giving me permission to be an asshole I guess.

If you can't be a better man. That's on you.

So you're saying I shouldn't be mindful of the experiences or lived realities of women because I haven't changed the world? Thanks for giving me permission to be an asshole I guess.

If you can't be a better man. That's on you.
You've never needed permission to be an asshole.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Sure sounds like it.

Sad. Hopefully he can work through his issues and move forward somewhere else.
Let’s put a little perspective here folks: we ha one TE who only played a short time and is in the NFL and this kid holds records, had a pro contract in the future, and could not keep his stuff together. Come on, no sympathy, he knew he was high profile and this is just a level of stupidity that can not be understood logically.

domestic abuse is one thing, but when the police show up you have beaten up your girlfriend, and you are a trained athlete, you don’t get sympathy. Give me a pot bust, a dwi, without an accident, anything is better than beating up a girl.

Let’s put a little perspective here folks: we ha one TE who only played a short time and is in the NFL and this kid holds records, had a pro contract in the future, and could not keep his stuff together. Come on, no sympathy, he knew he was high profile and this is just a level of stupidity that can not be understood logically.

domestic abuse is one thing, but when the police show up you have beaten up your girlfriend, and you are a trained athlete, you don’t get sympathy. Give me a pot bust, a dwi, without an accident, anything is better than beating up a girl.
I was with you until your last sentence as there is no part of the story that she was beat up, even she posted that isn't what he did. If any of the story is true, likely, then Hendershot let his emotions rule him and it will hurt him in the short run if not the long run.

**UPDATE**

Hendershot was charged this morning. Four misdemeanors.
1 - Domestic Battery - Class A misdemeanor *I was apparently wrong before on DV standards. Statute says only applies to family or household members. Another statute defines that as including ex-girlfriends. My bad. I didn't do DV cases. Should've researched that before hand.*
2 - Trespass -Class A Misdemeanor for entering a dwelling without consent. Basically the same elements as the Res Entry he was arrested for, just a lower level.
3 - Conversion - Class A Misdemeanor for taking her phone
4 - Crim Mischief - Class A Misdemeanor for throwing/breaking her phone.

No Probable Cause Affidavit entered onto the system yet, so no additional information available on specific allegations.

But with the time it took for them to charge it plus what people are saying his ex-girlfriend has said on Twitter (taking a conciliatory tone), it suggests that she didn't want him hit with the harshest charges and they respected that. There's a bit of a misnomer about pressing/dropping charges. It's the State's call on what gets filed/dropped. But there is typically a good respect for victims' opinions' because cases become difficult to impossible to prosecute without victim cooperation.

I'll keep an eye out for the PC to see if we can get some more light shed on the allegations.

**UPDATE**

Hendershot was charged this morning. Four misdemeanors.
1 - Domestic Battery - Class A misdemeanor *I was apparently wrong before on DV standards. Statute says only applies to family or household members. Another statute defines that as including ex-girlfriends. My bad. I didn't do DV cases. Should've researched that before hand.*
2 - Trespass -Class A Misdemeanor for entering a dwelling without consent. Basically the same elements as the Res Entry he was arrested for, just a lower level.
3 - Conversion - Class A Misdemeanor for taking her phone
4 - Crim Mischief - Class A Misdemeanor for throwing/breaking her phone.

No Probable Cause Affidavit entered onto the system yet, so no additional information available on specific allegations.

But with the time it took for them to charge it plus what people are saying his ex-girlfriend has said on Twitter (taking a conciliatory tone), it suggests that she didn't want him hit with the harshest charges and they respected that. There's a bit of a misnomer about pressing/dropping charges. It's the State's call on what gets filed/dropped. But there is typically a good respect for victims' opinions' because cases become difficult to impossible to prosecute without victim cooperation.

I'll keep an eye out for the PC to see if we can get some more light shed on the allegations.
So based on the above 4 misdemeanor's, do you (professional opinion but not holding you to anything here!) think this would/could give IU or IUFB program a better shot/window at finding a way to let him work his way back to the program? Meaning, it doesn't necessarily seem the same "instant death sentence" that it appeared initially. No justifying anything here, but the official charges seem lower and maybe with him missing some games and other punishment, he doesn't get booted from school/team for good?

So based on the above 4 misdemeanor's, do you (professional opinion but not holding you to anything here!) think this would/could give IU or IUFB program a better shot/window at finding a way to let him work his way back to the program? Meaning, it doesn't necessarily seem the same "instant death sentence" that it appeared initially. No justifying anything here, but the official charges seem lower and maybe with him missing some games and other punishment, he doesn't get booted from school/team for good?
Whew! This is a tough one, so bear with me. But tl;dr, it's probably got very little to do with law at this point.

From a purely legal perspective. They certainly didn't hit him with everything they could have, severity wise. That's certainly a positive thing for him. Charges can theoretically always be added or "upped" later (e.g., adding res entry - F6 to replace the trespass) if they wanted to. Practically speaking, this doesn't typically happen unless there are special circumstances or new facts/allegations happening. It's much more common for a charge to be pled down. And I don't know how it goes in Monroe Co., but in the two counties I worked in, it was very common for someone to just plead to the lead charge (in this case like the DV charge). Depending on how things shake out, he could very likely end up with fewer and/or lesser convictions than what he's charged with.

But like others have said on this thread, his spot at the university or on the football team isn't really a "legal" decision. It's going to be administrative. Like does the school/team want to have him around. On one hand, they are going to be privy to WAY more information than any of us will. So it's really hard to judge how they'll handle the facts when we'll never know them all.

10 years ago I'd say it'd be a no-brainer that he'd be back on the team just because of where we were as a society and the level of the charges. With where we are today? We'd all just be guessing.

Purely personal opinion: IF the school & CTA feel that the facts of the situation don't warrant full separation from the school/team. My gut would want him suspended for a significant portion of next season. Like the first 4-5 games.

I trust the school/coaches not to hurt the team long-term by sweeping it under the rug and doing an OSU-style "suspended for the first half of a cupcake game" type suspension. I would want them to make it sting to really put over the "team over self" culture he's building. I mean Ball lost a start & some time for boneheaded-hotheaded actions this past season. Even with a chance to avoid severe criminal punishment, this is light years beyond that.

I don't envy the decision makers in this situation. They'll get criticized no matter what they do and they're going to be walking a tight-rope on what is a proper sanction. But I guess that's why they make the big bucks.

So if he did everything he’s accused of,you wouldn’t have a problem with him staying on the team?
How would you feel about it if he did those things to your daughter?
Two sides to every story

The published reports are that he placed the basket of laundry by her door, left and then returned after firing off some angry texts.

Yeah. I COULD if I wanted to SPECULATE that they broke up, he got her clothes that were at his place and brought them over to her place, but wasn't allowed to come in and plead his case for further nuptials, and it disintegrated from there.

I feel for a kid in that situation. When a girl tells a guy its over, that hurts.

BUT ....

Rule No. 1 - No means no.
Rule No. 2 - YOU CANNOT HIT A WOMAN.

I hope they both live happily ever after.
I hope neither of them posts anything else on the Interweb.

A criminal conviction is not a prerequisite for suspension or dismissal from a team or the school. In Ellison's case, an IU sexual misconduct panel considered relevant evidence and concluded that he sexually assaulted another student.

Yes, but ...

In Ellison's case, the girl was a student who used the IU Student processes.

Which is why I keep asking if this girl is also a student?

If not - or if she does not invoke those same processes - and this is left to the courts, then get ready to hurry up and wait. The courts will take MONTHS to play this out. Hearings. Postponements. Pass it to the motion hour.

Speaking of Ellison, he was not a hot commodity on the recruiting wires at the recent end of his JUCO career.
His numbers were surprisingly low.
He had some early interest from some CUSA teams.
Twitterverse had him going to Southeastern Louisiana but he was not on their list of commits.
He has rap videos out though.
Maybe music is his thing

Yeah. I COULD if I wanted to SPECULATE that they broke up, he got her clothes that were at his place and brought them over to her place, but wasn't allowed to come in and plead his case for further nuptials, and it disintegrated from there.

I feel for a kid in that situation. When a girl tells a guy its over, that hurts.

BUT ....

Rule No. 1 - No means no.
Rule No. 2 - YOU CANNOT HIT A WOMAN.

I hope they both live happily ever after.
I hope neither of them posts anything else on the Interweb.
Where is the charge of him hitting her?

Yes, but ...

In Ellison's case, the girl was a student who used the IU Student processes.

Which is why I keep asking if this girl is also a student?

If not - or if she does not invoke those same processes - and this is left to the courts, then get ready to hurry up and wait. The courts will take MONTHS to play this out. Hearings. Postponements. Pass it to the motion hour.

Speaking of Ellison, he was not a hot commodity on the recruiting wires at the recent end of his JUCO career.
His numbers were surprisingly low.
He had some early interest from some CUSA teams.
Twitterverse had him going to Southeastern Louisiana but he was not on their list of commits.
He has rap videos out though.
Maybe music is his thing
Why would it matter if she's a student? He's a student - wouldn't the university still make him go through the process?

It's possible, but battery can cover a range of physical altercations.

It could well be he hit her - I don't know. I just haven't read anything that specifically says that.

Not debating whether he did it or not, but that's the charge for it.

You asked. That's the answer for you.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I can’t say what the punishment should be because I don’t know all the facts. If they were in an argument and he pushed her or something, that’s one thing. But if he smacked her or punched her in the face, or tried to choke her or something, then I would dismiss him from the team. I’m sorry. I have daughters. I just don’t have any tolerance for this. And Honorable Mention All Big Ten TE isn’t worth changing the culture for. I don’t care if we had a Heisman front runner. IU and Allen’s LEO is BIGGER than the program. There probably isn’t a bigger Hendershot fan than me. He’s the best TE that I’ve ever seen her talent wise. But he messed up. He’ll get a 2nd chance like most people, I just wouldn’t let it be here if it is, in fact, real assault.

Just my 2 cents.

Anger management and 3 game suspension would be my vote.
Not debating whether he did it or not, but that's the charge for it.

You asked. That's the answer for you.
Dude, we're just having a conversation. The charge says nothing about hitting. I just asked if anyone had heard of a specific 'hitting' charge. You answered battery - I just pointed out that could be something other than a 'hit'.

Thanks for your reply.

Dude, we're just having a conversation. The charge says nothing about hitting. I just asked if anyone had heard of a specific 'hitting' charge. You answered battery - I just pointed out that could be something other than a 'hit'.

Thanks for your reply.

You asked what the charge was. Domestic battery is the charge.

The girl herself said he didn't hit her. But he did do enough that four charges have been brought up against him.

If he is found to have done a violent act toward her, he should be gone. If not, he'll be back.

Again, Peyton put himself in this position, no one else. This is on Peyton and Peyton alone.

Let's let the process play out.

The girl herself said he didn't hit her. But he did do enough that four charges have been brought up against him.

If he is found to have done a violent act toward her, he should be gone. If not, he'll be back.

Again, Peyton put himself in this position, no one else. This is on Peyton and Peyton alone.

Yep,you have to realize the consequences if you put your hands on her.
Just walk away and let cooler heads prevail but we are talking about 20 year old kids with raging hormones.

I didn't ask what the charge was. I knew what the charge was. Someone made the comment he had hit her. I hadn't seen that and said so and you replied with "Domestic battery?"

That's what I was responding to and you now verified that no 'hitting' was involved..

See, that wasn't difficult, was it?

Last edited:
I think the "law" and the "school" are separate decision making bodies in these cases. If he "pleads" to anything then the school needs to decide if it's ok to do what he did by his own admittance and still attend school and play football.

What do you think the university would do to Johnny Sigma Chi in the exact same circumstances? The schools set their own rules and values independent of law enforcement. I hope he didn't do it or at least it's been blown way out of proportion by the message boards and media.

He did not "beat up" his girlfriend.
I may have over assumed in this because it seems to be a common theme among athletes. Hopefully he is the victim and the whole story will come out on his side, but this type story is just too old. The kid had a great opportunity. Maybe he still does.

Grea news concerning Hendershot. Charges reduced! Not sure how that plays with the staff, but at least he has a window to move forward.
The issue will be the University findings. Remember, Morgan Ellison was never charged by police. I'm not certain how much that panel will automatically look at this situation without a formal complaint filed by the victim (not sure if they need a formal complaint or not), but to me, that panel will be the key to him staying at IU or not. If the panel stays out of it or rules in his favor, then I think he will be back with simply just a few game suspension.

The issue will be the University findings. Remember, Morgan Ellison was never charged by police. I'm not certain how much that panel will automatically look at this situation without a formal complaint filed by the victim (not sure if they need a formal complaint or not), but to me, that panel will be the key to him staying at IU or not. If the panel stays out of it or rules in his favor, then I think he will be back with simply just a few game suspension.

I’ve asked before and I ask again - is the ex-girlfriend a student?

If not, there is no reason for any IU proceeding. It will be solely a courthouse issue.

If she IS a student and pursues it, I think he misses some time, but is not kicked out of school.

(FWIW, Ellison now seems to be pursuing music instead of football.)

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT