ADVERTISEMENT

Fourth down and 1 yd to go

kpbucks4454

Junior
Sep 8, 2004
Missing from 1/2 yd out was tough. I remember when Peyton Ramsey was qb, we ran a qb sneak over the right guard and one or two players would get behind him push the pile into the end zone. I don’t remember it failing. On Saturday with 1/2 to go, Henderson was on the 9 yd line. He was hit by a defender coming from the outside before he got to the 1 or 2. Is it still legal to push a ball carrier forward? If so, let’s do it again. ?

Missing from 1/2 yd out was tough. I remember when Peyton Ramsey was qb, we ran a qb sneak over the right guard and one or two players would get behind him push the pile into the end zone. I don’t remember it failing. On Saturday with 1/2 to go, Henderson was on the 9 yd line. He was hit by a defender coming from the outside before he got to the 1 or 2. Is it still legal to push a ball carrier forward? If so, let’s do it again. ?
To make matters worse, the play included a pulling guard from the backside making it even more of a slow play.

To make matters worse, the play included a pulling guard from the backside making it even more of a slow play.
It is a simple fold block that actually did what it was supposed to do. It had ZERO negative impact on the play. Baffled that people act like the guard was running a frigging sweep. These blocks are are used ALL THE TIME at the goal line, but the monday morning QBs don't ever notice it.

If you want someone to blame, you can blame the ENTIRE right side of the line from Bedford on down to Archer who either missed everything, was late coming out their stance, or were buried.

If you can't block it, the QB sneak ain't gonna work either.

I'm not a Walt Bell fan, but he's called two pretty good games. There is nothing the matter with the play design or the call. This was a 100% execution failure.

Last edited:
I remember that play as being a fast setup and the sneak immediate, no hesitation like the play Saturday.

I went through 20 different running plays from inside the 2 yard line. All but one has similar blocking (wrap blocks and all). Of course the difference was the execution. Point being is that our 4th and goal play was a very common and successful goal line play. Lots to dump on Bell for, but this ain't one of them.

Reactions: hickorytree1
If you want someone to blame, you can blame the ENTIRE right side of the line from Bedford on down to Archer who either missed everything, was late coming out their stance, or were buried.

I went through 20 different running plays from inside the 2 yard line. All but one has similar blocking (wrap blocks and all). Of course the difference was the execution. Point being is that our 4th and goal play was a very common and successful goal line play. Lots to dump on Bell for, but this ain't one of them.
We had 58 rushing yards the entire game. Run-blocking had been mostly ineffective all afternoon. Yet Bell calls a run play with the ball carrier starting from the 8.

Terrible decision.

Reactions: Mr.IU
We had 58 rushing yards the entire game. Run-blocking had been mostly ineffective all afternoon. Yet Bell calls a run play with the ball carrier starting from the 8.

Terrible decision.
I’m not sure any running play, including a quarterback sneak, was going to work there. UL blew up the LOS.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
It is a simple fold block that actually did what it was supposed to do. It had ZERO negative impact on the play. Baffled that people act like the guard was running a frigging sweep. These blocks are are used ALL THE TIME at the goal line, but the monday morning QBs don't ever notice it.

I'm not a Walt Bell fan, but he's called two pretty good games. There is nothing the matter with the play design or the call. This was a 100% execution failure.

Terrible decision.

Agree 100% - yes, the execution was terrible, but the play call was flawed from the start for the following reasons:
1.) The formation was so tight that UL's whole defense was in the box.
2.) The play took way too long to develop

Could the play have been run successfully? Sure, but it was far from likely based on the performance of our line to that point. Bell deserves the criticism he is getting.

Couldn’t agree more, the right side of our line pretty much whiffed, not even sure how that is possible on the goal line.

What you call a fold block is a pulling guard to me, the key point it tells the OL not to fire off the ball for a short yardage play. I think it gives the wrong message to the OL. The OL did get blown up, the reason it happened is the point and I think it was because of the play called.

Terrible decision.

What you call a fold block is a pulling guard to me, the key point it tells the OL not to fire off the ball for a short yardage play. I think it gives the wrong message to the OL. The OL did get blown up, the reason it happened is the point and I think it was because of the play called.
I'm sorry, that is literally not anything like you described at all. It is simple block. In fact, that block is run all the time at the goal line, but you aren't paying attention to it. The OL was blown up because they got off the ball late. Period. It seems silly to debate a simple play that was blown up because the OL didn't do its job.

Bringing that guard doesn’t tell the line not to fire off . . . It’s an effort to bring numbers to the right side. We got beat at the point of attack, period, and it wasn’t because we brought a guard over.

They ran a similar play from the 2 1/2 yard line for henderson and easily scored. Difference was the execution.

That last 6+ minutes of the game, starting with the first and goal from the 5, was a shit show.

Would have loved to see the game where TJ takes one more step on the dive or decides to run over or go over the top of that defender

What I haven't seen in the comments......why wasn't Lucas in the game? Had Lucas and Henderson both been in the game it would have opened up the option as a possibility and also the pass/run option with Lucas as the receiver.

The Louisville player who made the first hit on Henderson said he knew what was coming from watching game tape.

CTA has always seem to choke in that type of situation, so I was disappointed but not surprised.

I do note they were on the right hash but I think that a roll out of some nature to the open side was the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
This took me back to the four tries from the one yard line against PiSU some twenty years ago. I’m still thinking about sending Dinardo a bill for all the s*** I broke in my house that day!

Last edited:
I agree with you but a lot of people pull on the goal line. I am not a big fan. I would rather just wedge block it and make people come from the outside. Also not a fan of taking the ball 7 yards deep to hand off. But this is hindsight. If Henderson scores there is no discussion. It is easy to say we should of done this or done that in hindsight. I would have thought Henderson would be able to get a half yard.

He would actually go all the way out to Tackle and slip in behind Caleb Jones. Jones was massive and was easy to get a yard behind.

We don't have that kind of guy on the line currently.

Any play action pass was automatic TD the way the box was stacked
Sure, but then if Jackson misfires, everyone is complaining about how stupid Bell is for throwing the ball when we needed a half-yard. If Henderson gets into the endzone on that power play, nobody is complaining about it.

Bottom line, if your offensive line can't get you 18 inches of push, you don't deserve to win that game.

Exactly

I'm sorry, that is literally not anything like you described at all. It is simple block. In fact, that block is run all the time at the goal line, but you aren't paying attention to it. The OL was blown up because they got off the ball late. Period. It seems silly to debate a simple play that was blown up because the OL didn't do its job.
It was probably drilled into the OL during the TO to not jump the snap and go offsides.

I didn't care for the stacked Oline, but can't criticize the play.

I would have tried exactly what Syracuse did with their QB on Saturday. It was absolute perfection. They even did it twice with ease. Bell isn’t that smart to even dream it up. Watch here: first play in the clip.

This would've more than likely worked to perfection. Louisville was stacked in tight, think Tayven would've walked in no problem.

Terrible decision.
I agree. That run play on 4th down was a bad decision. Thought Allen handled the last 5ish minutes of the game really poorly. Might have cost iu

I would have tried exactly what Syracuse did with their QB on Saturday. It was absolute perfection. They even did it twice with ease. Bell isn’t that smart to even dream it up. Watch here: first play in the clip.

2 things.
1. Are TJs ball handling skills that good?
2. The right side of our OL got blown up so bad I don't know if anything would have worked.
The only thing different I would have done is bring an extra O lineman in motion and wham block.

I agree. That run play on 4th down was a bad decision. Thought Allen handled the last 5ish minutes of the game really poorly. Might have cost iu
You have no business critiquing IU when your Boilers couldn't contain Syracuse's QB for shit.

Your only defense was to commit pass interference.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Yes that first play is what a naked boot looks like from a shot gun handoff … no mesh … play action style fake … hide the ball on your hip. Liked selling the fake by following the RB with his eyes for a moment before taking off. … Then a walk-in to the end zone.

What I haven't seen in the comments......why wasn't Lucas in the game? Had Lucas and Henderson both been in the game it would have opened up the option as a possibility and also the pass/run option with Lucas as the receiver.

The Louisville player who made the first hit on Henderson said he knew what was coming from watching game tape.

CTA has always seem to choke in that type of situation, so I was disappointed but not surprised.

I do note they were on the right hash but I think that a roll out of some nature to the open side was the way to go.
CTA is a great human being, Iove the guy. That doesn't mean he is an elite football coach at the time in a game that you need to be good enough, at least good enough to beat Rutgers and Maryland. It's a 15 million dollar decision. Simple as that.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT