ADVERTISEMENT

Over it. On to Purdue… biggest game for us since when!?!

I meant to say higher ceiling this coming season. Impossible to say long term. Apologies.

You should go to a Nebraska football game sometime. One of the best experiences you will have. Best place in the big ten to tailgate and watch a game as an opposing fan.
Umm… no thanks? Taking a trip to Nebraska seems horrible.

You are just old with nothing to do like Arc. Sad lives you guys live.
I lead a very active life, but thanks for your concern for seniors. I was in Destin for two weeks and in the last week I have been in Pensacola, Tallahassee, Ocala, Atlanta, Nashville and West Lafayette. Walk three miles everyday and have an active social life. Plenty to do and lots of good times ahead!

Go back to learning Portuguese, nerd.
Just as I explained, it's not Portuguese. Insults do not change your spouting off despite reality contradicting you. Nerd or not, it doesn't change the fact that you are posting nonsense.

As for your contention about Edey being able to play effectively for the extra time last year, I'll just cite him directly as I think that he is a pretty good judge of what he could have done and can now do:

"I really have been working on my body, which kind of ties into the defensive part," Edey said. "I felt like I really needed to work on having foot speed, my lateral movement and stuff like that."

But perhaps you know better than he does about how he feels.

This appeared in Sports Illustrated in late 2022. https://www.si.com/college/purdue/b...purdue-basketball-despite-poor-shooting-night

I lead a very active life, but thanks for your concern for seniors. I was in Destin for two weeks and in the last week I have been in Pensacola, Tallahassee, Ocala, Atlanta, Nashville and West Lafayette. Walk three miles everyday and have an active social life. Plenty to do and lots of good times ahead!
Dang, I can’t believe you can frequent so many IU boards with all that going on. Truly impressive!

Just as I explained, it's not Portuguese. Insults do not change your spouting off despite reality contradicting you. Nerd or not, it doesn't change the fact that you are posting nonsense.

As for your contention about Edey being able to play effectively for the extra time last year, I'll just cite him directly as I think that he is a pretty good judge of what he could have done and can now do:

"I really have been working on my body, which kind of ties into the defensive part," Edey said. "I felt like I really needed to work on having foot speed, my lateral movement and stuff like that."

But perhaps you know better than he does about how he feels.

This appeared in Sports Illustrated in late 2022. https://www.si.com/college/purdue/b...purdue-basketball-despite-poor-shooting-night

I know everything you do about them. If Illinois pushed, he’d be there. If IU pushed, you’d have no chance. Painter has to force kids to commit early to land recruits in today’s world. Great strategy really.

Except for Colvin. He will ruin your team
Will he be an inefficient chucker?😂

So you have 1 example? Counter example, Leonard Hamilton.
Not that I have much dog in this particular fight, but another good example would be Bo Ryan. While not a full 20 years, it took him about 15 to get to a Final 4. 10 years ago, most fans of other Big Ten teams (and especially MSU fans) had the similar criticism of Ryan: Really good coach, could consistently contend for Big Ten titles, and would consistently under-achieve in the tournament.

....Until he then went to two consecutive Final Fours.

Not that I have much dog in this particular fight, but another good example would be Bo Ryan. While not a full 20 years, it took him about 15 to get to a Final 4. 10 years ago, most fans of other Big Ten teams (and especially MSU fans) had the similar criticism of Ryan: Really good coach, could consistently contend for Big Ten titles, and would consistently under-achieve in the tournament.

Bo Ryan spent the first 15-20 years of his coaching career building one of the best D3 basketball programs in his country. He didn't start coaching big boy basketball until well into his 50's.

Bo Ryan spent the first 15-20 years of his coaching career building one of the best D3 basketball programs in his country. He didn't start coaching big boy basketball until well into his 50's.
You are quite correct that Ryan was very successful at different campuses of the UW system prior to getting the Madison position. However, that is not the point of the prior discussion. It did take him 13 years (2001-2104) to get to a Final Four. The amount of time in Madison was the issue relative to the discussion.

Reactions: BoilerN

Another counter example: Mike Brey

Absolutely. But Big_Fan was specifically looking for cases of coaches at the D1 level being given more leeway (time-wise) to produce a championship level team compared to what the IU fanbase patience level / expectations level requires.
Boeheim at Syracuse was also at his 11th year at Syracuse before getting a Final Four. Admittedly, he was a former player, so he had some built in latitude from a fan perspective.

The funny thing is, when they were recruiting him, the pitch was that they'd play TKR on the wing because they had bigs, and IU would try and plant him in the paint ala TJD. Now most of the are saying they're intending to play small ball next year with TKR at the 5.
To be fair. That’s fans. They have no idea what the coaches will do.

Absent a swoon from here on, IU is in the tourney.
Problem is the sked sets up just right for a swoon to happen. #1 PUR and a RUTG team we haven't beaten in four years, followed by four of the next five on the road.

This is where choking at IOWA and losing at home to NW hurts (and we basically lost the NW game because of a carryover effect from how we spit it at IOWA).

IND's not safe by any means. A win Saturday would be massive toward changing that.

Absolutely. But Big_Fan was specifically looking for cases of coaches at the D1 level being given more leeway (time-wise) to produce a championship level team compared to what the IU fanbase patience level / expectations level requires.
Boeheim at Syracuse was also at his 11th year at Syracuse before getting a Final Four. Admittedly, he was a former player, so he had some built in latitude from a fan perspective.
He also coached at Wisconsin. If you're old like me, you don't know Wisconsin as anything but a terrible basketball program, that is up until Bo Ryan took over. I'm sure if Matt Painter is allowed to coach Purdue for 40+ years he'll likely take them to a F4, but that isn't leeway,

When you can't refute the facts, turn to insults. Got it. Just a suggestion: you might want to see if your prospective post matches up with available reality before sending it on.

Problem is the sked sets up just right for a swoon to happen. #1 PUR and a RUTG team we haven't beaten in four years, followed by four of the next five on the road.
At the same time, beating Rutgers and Purdue in back to back games likely cements IU's bid and we're just playing for seeding from here on out.

Not a great example. Notre Dame fans have NEVER cared about basketball. Half of their fans probably wouldn't have been able to know his name. 😈
It is a great example. Has similar resources as Purdue. Very similar career to Keady and Painter.

He also coached at Wisconsin. If you're old like me, you don't know Wisconsin as anything but a terrible basketball program, that is up until Bo Ryan took over. I'm sure if Matt Painter is allowed to coach Purdue for 40+ years he'll likely take them to a F4, but that isn't leeway,
In fairness, Wisconsin did not have a good history for quite a while. However, they did get to a Final Four under Bennet not long before Ryan took over.

In fairness, Wisconsin did not have a good history for quite a while. However, they did get to a Final Four under Bennet not long before Ryan took over.
Yep--2000 Final Four, then Ryan took the reigns in the 2001-02 season (Bennett left three games into the 2000-01 season and Brad Soderberg was the interim).

It is a great example. Has similar resources as Purdue. Very similar career to Keady and Painter.
I know quite a few Notre Dame grads. I have worked with them and had them as neighbors. While it is true that football is king there, they can all tell you that ND broke UCLA's record-winning streak back when Wooden was there. I know that because I heard them do it. It's kind of an association with the history of the school. ND also ended Oklahoma's long winning streak in football as well. They used to show "Knute Rockne All American" on campus every year. It wouldn't surprise me if they still do it.

The only way it could be a bigger game is if they were undefeated. They are only one offensive rebound away from having our undefeated streak being in jeopardy. That to me is too close for comfort. I may jump in the Showwter Fountain when, and if, they lose in the big tournament.

Actually, we were looking at coaches with 20 years of head coaching experience before reaching success. No specifications on D1. It was in regards to Painter entering his prime as a coach, which, at 52, is consider him entering his prime.

Knowing Portuguese can be quite handy when visiting Iberia or Brazil. Maybe I'll take it up after I finish learning the language that we are presently studying and then plan a trip to South America. My wife is good with romance languages so she should pick up Portuguese fairly easily. I've had Latin and French so I should do OK, but not as well as her.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
When you can't refute the facts, turn to insults. Got it. Just a suggestion: you might want to see if your prospective post matches up with available reality before sending it on.
I love port. Think I'll take up Portuguese. Would love to go the the port houses there. This board should be extremely interesting after Saturday's game.

I know quite a few Notre Dame grads. I have worked with them and had them as neighbors. While it is true that football is king there, they can all tell you that ND broke UCLA's record-winning streak back when Wooden was there. I know that because I heard them do it. It's kind of an association with the history of the school. ND also ended Oklahoma's long winning streak in football as well. They used to show "Knute Rockne All American" on campus every year. It wouldn't surprise me if they still do it.
Go back to learning Portuguese, nerd

????
I don't think I would argue either of those. ND has some pretty significant resources. Their athletic budget is around 400 million compared to Purdue's 100 million. They also have a much bigger fan base / brand recognition (even if most of them only care about football).

Second, Painter's had more success than Brey.

Brey never won the Big East or ACC over his entire career (he did win his division in the Big East the very first year only, but with Doherty's players)
His teams averaged about 5th - 6th in the ACC / Big East over the years.
Didn't even make the tournament in 8 of his 22 years (and it's not looking good this year)
Generally never even made it past the round of 32 in the years he did.
He had two elite 8's, but only one of those was a particularly great team (the 2014 team). So two Elite 8's and 1 SW16 over 23 years. So, 3 good years out of 23 (1 in 7.5)
(and for the record, I remember some rumblings about his job back in 2013, that first Elite 8 probably saved his job).

Painter, over a shorter time span (18 years versus 23):
Painter has won the Big Ten 3 times (and is poised to get his 4th)
His teams averaged about 3rd in the Big Ten over the years.
He has missed the tournament only 3 times (one of those being his first year where he inherited a team that went 7-21 the year before)
He's had an elite 8 and 5 Sweet 16's, so 6 good years out of 18 (1 in 3).

If your minimum threshold of "success" is a Final 4, then yeah, they have had similar results, but on a full season scale, Painter is much better.

Last edited:
Doubling down on stupid is no way to go through life Gilligan. Did Mommy make you oatmeal?
Oh, and...Gilligan.

Add you Head Coach to the list of players that wanted to play for IU but didn't get the chance.

Please claim I am wrong. Please.

Painter is a good coach, but F4-caliber is a stretch considering he has exactly zero F4 appearances in 20 years at Purdue.
He also has the 9th most sweet 16s of all active coaches i think? He will get some luck to match his talent one of these years. If the top 4 teams in the country made the final 4 each year, he'd make it this year. He still might, but never do the top 16 teams make the sweet 16.

He also has the 9th most sweet 16s of all active coaches i think? He will get some luck to match his talent one of these years. If the top 4 teams in the country made the final 4 each year, he'd make it this year. He still might, but never do the top 16 teams make the sweet 16.
Perhaps beating mid-majors is something a bigger school with more resources should be able to do without "luck." Should it really take a good coach 20-25 years to make one FF? Keady never made one. Coaches get fired all of the time for lack of March success in a much smaller time period.

Do you really believe that act? He is a ord/Birnk/jackassskip level liar.
I keep trying to tell your colleague that I am not learning Portuguese. That is his line.

I am learning a different language. And as for the liar accusation, it's false and something that you are just throwing out because you are a frustrated, bitter and obviously unhappy person. Why lie about learning a foreign language as an adult? There is no inherent advantage in doing so. I am learning the language because we are planning a trip and want to have familiarity with the language spoken where we are going. That doesn't sound crazy to me. Plus, locals tend to treat you better when you try to communicate with them in their language, even if your grammar and diction are a bit off. That is the case in my experience.

As for taking classes as an adult: I know people who have taken/are taking cooking classes, music classes, art classes and movie classes in addition to language classes. Our local library gives classes on computer use and programs. So I don't see what is so odd about that. Ever seen the commercials on tv for Rosetta Stone? Who do you think they are trying to sell that to? Here's a hint: they don't buy ad time for no reason.

🤔 what triggered you? No one ever said last night was okay. It was a total stinker and they played horrible. Just saying that I’m over it… As a fan, no sense to be pissed for an extended time for a road loss with the biggest home game in a decade on the horizon.
The losing and the mediocrity (even when we think we have potential) and lack of effort and heart, it's not this loss, maybe I'm a lot older that you, but it's 20 f'n years of this shit and I'm getting tired of being optimistic or defending that it will get better when it never does. Change is needed or there should be help on the way, but I don't see either

There should be NO losses expected. That's why we pay the coach 3.5 for and some of the players half as much. Period, don't bother justifying any of it, they need to be better, or it needs to be made better

Last edited:
Perhaps beating mid-majors is something a bigger school with more resources should be able to do without "luck." Should it really take a good coach 20-25 years to make one FF? Keady never made one. Coaches get fired all of the time for lack of March success in a much smaller time period.
I really question your claim that "Coaches get fired all of the time for lack of March success in a much smaller time period." There may be some but I cannot think of one. I know coaches get fired for not making the NCAA Tournament, but I can't think of a coach that pretty consistently makes the NCAA Tournament but does not make a FF and gets fired absent some other issue like recruiting violations or scandal. Can you name some as it happens "...all of the time." so there must be a good number of them?

I keep trying to tell your colleague that I am not learning Portuguese. That is his line.

I am learning a different language. And as for the liar accusation, it's false and something that you are just throwing out because you are a frustrated, bitter and obviously unhappy person. Why lie about learning a foreign language as an adult? There is no inherent advantage in doing so. I am learning the language because we are planning a trip and want to have familiarity with the language spoken where we are going. That doesn't sound crazy to me. Plus, locals tend to treat you better when you try to communicate with them in their language, even if your grammar and diction are a bit off. That is the case in my experience.

As for taking classes as an adult: I know people who have taken/are taking cooking classes, music classes, art classes and movie classes in addition to language classes. Our local library gives classes on computer use and programs. So I don't see what is so odd about that. Ever seen the commercials on tv for Rosetta Stone? Who do you think they are trying to sell that to? Here's a hint: they don't buy ad time for no reason.
You are still here?

I am more than aware of many continuing educational opportunities in most of our communities. I have done a number of TED talks for local and regional classes and national business events.

The problem is that it is tough to take classes when you spend your time here begging for respect. That and you have a terrible reputation both here and on your own board.

Hint: As for the respect and validation you so desperately seek from IU grads...you blew that chance long ago Sparky. Try MSU or Ahia, they might like you. We don't.

Reactions: indiana ed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT