ADVERTISEMENT

Our guys in the Portal

well we just lost the long snapper recruit. I know not a big deal but his tweet about it is the best look inside. Basically the new staff is not honoring the offers so these de commitments we are seeing are basically thanks but no thanks. Would imagine they aren’t done and we see a few more de commitments and transfers portal announcements
Says more about Soukap than it does about the new staff. The comment was completely unnecessary--and who cares why they did it. If I'm a new coach and don't like where things are at recruiting wise, I ought to be able to change it. I have two college athlete sons and think these athletes have WAAAAY too much power. If you are going to make recruiting a free for all, then it is a free for all for everybody--including coaches.

Says more about Soukap than it does about the new staff. The comment was completely unnecessary--and who cares why they did it. If I'm a new coach and don't like where things are at recruiting wise, I ought to be able to change it. I have two college athlete sons and think these athletes have WAAAAY too much power. If you are going to make recruiting a free for all, then it is a free for all for everybody--including coaches.
So true on this BS transfer portal. He is not obligated to honor any offers. He is also being selective as he has already offered Kosin who was a previous commitment.

IU lost a few very good players via the portal last year under Allen. It's unknown how many might have entered the portal this year regardless of the coaching change. Watching Barner catch passes for Michigan still sucks!!!
Well those good players we kept led us to a 3 n 9 season. LOL

All he tweeted was a fact. So what?

"I lost my offer, I'm available." Seems fine.

Maybe he doesn't want to have anybody assume he's the one bailing.
"the new incoming coaching staff at Indiana University are not HONORING the previous staff's scholarship offer."

in other words, the staff was being DISHONERABLE. That is exactly how I read it. It is how others read it. Completely unnecessary to the announcement. How about just saying "I am 100% uncommited as of today and look forward to hearing from other coaches".......simple, positive and doesn't tarnish or potentially tarnish, someone's reputation.

"the new incoming coaching staff at Indiana University are not HONORING the previous staff's scholarship offer."

in other words, the staff was being DISHONERABLE. That is exactly how I read it. It is how others read it. Completely unnecessary to the announcement. How about just saying "I am 100% uncommited as of today and look forward to hearing from other coaches".......simple, positive and doesn't tarnish or potentially tarnish, someone's reputation.
"Honor" means to keep an agreement and the current staff is doing exactly that. He's not decommitting, his agreement on a scholarship from Indiana University is being reneged by Cignetti and co. I really don't think it's that big of a deal and we're holding teenagers who expected to be attending a university to throw shade when it's pulled.

I really think you'd act different if your kids scholarships were taken away from them at the 11th hour and they had to find another university to play for. Can you imagine a school doing this for any other type of scholarship besides sports? Sorry Jimmy, we found some other kid that had a higher GPA so the half ride that we promised you is no longer available, feel free to attend and pay full tuition though!

I realize this is a reality of college sports and possibly for the best for the school and team I support, but I wish there could be a way for these guys who had it all planned they were going to attend university to still be able to rather than scramble to find a new home.

Probably because he's 18 years old.

well we just lost the long snapper recruit. I know not a big deal but his tweet about it is the best look inside. Basically the new staff is not honoring the offers so these de commitments we are seeing are basically thanks but no thanks. Would imagine they aren’t done and we see a few more de commitments and transfers portal announcements
Wait, you mean that players are decommiting after we pull their scholarship? How will we survive?

Wait, you mean that players are decommiting after we pull their scholarship? How will we survive?

The point of my comment was around people freaking out that players were de committing. All I was pointing out is that most of them aren't actually de committing and having their offers pulled. This kids tweet was the first indication of the actual happenings. The other players who de committed tweeted in a more judicious manner making it seem like it was a mutual decision, this kids tweet was more passive aggressive and shows he didn't have a choice.

I have no problem with the players leaving and the recruits no longer being offered. Especially if your only skill is as a Long Snapper. Most teams don't have these kids on Scholarship or at least not unless they happen to have an extra one laying around. You only have a finite amount of resources and spending scholarships on more skilled players is a smart choice.

"Honor" means to keep an agreement and the current staff is doing exactly that. He's not decommitting, his agreement on a scholarship from Indiana University is being reneged by Cignetti and co. I really don't think it's that big of a deal and we're holding teenagers who expected to be attending a university to throw shade when it's pulled.

I really think you'd act different if your kids scholarships were taken away from them at the 11th hour and they had to find another university to play for. Can you imagine a school doing this for any other type of scholarship besides sports? Sorry Jimmy, we found some other kid that had a higher GPA so the half ride that we promised you is no longer available, feel free to attend and pay full tuition though!

I realize this is a reality of college sports and possibly for the best for the school and team I support, but I wish there could be a way for these guys who had it all planned they were going to attend university to still be able to rather than scramble to find a new home.

So youth is the ultimate sin eater then is it? With all due respect, that's just plain babble. These kids all have social media classes in high school and know what shouldn't be said or should be said. I refuse to accept that being young allows you to burn bridges or impugn the character of someone on social media.

Your analogy could not be more disanalgous. First, the admissions department (or whomever is awarding a grant or scholarship is going to be by and large intact. That is never the case with athletics, and certainly the football coach--in particular here given that if anyone was paying attention, Allen was on thin ice in August. Second, in your example, there is a binding commitment in writing between the school and the student --i.e., committing to university at a specific date gets you the treasure. Third, the academic scholarships are distributed based upon a specific set of criteria (for the most part). There is no rubric to follow for a football player. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

At the end of the day, what this young man said was silly. What makes this likely worse is that you have to wonder if he did this by himself or whether he had the help of yet another helicopter parent....

So youth is the ultimate sin eater then is it? With all due respect, that's just plain babble. These kids all have social media classes in high school and know what shouldn't be said or should be said. I refuse to accept that being young allows you to burn bridges or impugn the character of someone on social media.

Your analogy could not be more disanalgous. First, the admissions department (or whomever is awarding a grant or scholarship is going to be by and large intact. That is never the case with athletics, and certainly the football coach--in particular here given that if anyone was paying attention, Allen was on thin ice in August. Second, in your example, there is a binding commitment in writing between the school and the student --i.e., committing to university at a specific date gets you the treasure. Third, the academic scholarships are distributed based upon a specific set of criteria (for the most part). There is no rubric to follow for a football player. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

At the end of the day, what this young man said was silly. What makes this likely worse is that you have to wonder if he did this by himself or whether he had the help of yet another helicopter parent....
Everyone is being too thin skinned on this. New staff didn’t want to give a scholly to a long snapper. That doesn’t bother me, nor did what the kid post bother me. Why would an adult get twisted in knots over what an 18 year old kid posted on social media?

Everyone is being too thin skinned on this. New staff didn’t want to give a scholly to a long snapper. That doesn’t bother me, nor did what the kid post bother me. Why would an adult get twisted in knots over what an 18 year old kid posted on social media?
Sports fandom + "kids these days" = moral outrage

Sports fandom + "kids these days" = moral outrage

This isn't a case of shouting at clouds and telling some kid to get off my lawn or even saying "back in my day". My initial post was very simply an identification of a dopey comment that was completely unnecessary. Period. It also has nothing to do with sports. Rather, it has to do with a global concept of not burning bridges. Very simple

There's method to our Coaches madness (respect the "process") -

Turns out his JMU Long Snapper is now in the Portal and he can be counted on to not only make a timely and accurate snap but also be to make the last ditch tackle if necessary.

Reactions: red hornet
Why does any player/recruit feel the need to announce their departure like they're a plane in an airport?

Probably a combination of ego and an easy way to ring the dinner bell for other schools to come calling.
Might be more than easy, maybe an important way to let other schools know.

Reactions: nichlee

Nah. Can’t have it both ways. Portal and NIL has changed the whole world of collegiate athletics. Players are now pros, whether they’re actually getting paid or not. If this was the ‘80s or ‘90s, I’d totally agree with you. Not today. Kid will be fine.

Lucas and Cox are both Alabama kids. I appreciate them and wish them well as they will get to play their final year closer to home!
I agree both are not difference makers. Can be replaced with younger players with more of an upside.

Reactions: red hornet
I agree both are not difference makers. Can be replaced with younger players with more of an upside.
I recall Lucas make a few plays but if they're both willing to drop down a level rather than compete for PT it's probably better for all concerned that we now have the use of two more scholarships... I'm looking forward to seeing how they're utilized...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT