ADVERTISEMENT

OSU

Naaaaa. . . . if IU's recruiting was faltering it wouldn't be as strong and as deep as it currently is.
The point is that OSU and IU are recruiting on a similar level.TM/ OSU got hit for the first time with transfers and it is hurting them

Reactions: bsmitty08
Read into how you want. Just was saying if Mattas recruiting is faltering then so is ours.
I think the poster was talking about Matta's recruitting fading over the last several years. IMHO CTC's recruiting has not been fading in the last several years.

He has had some success in finding basketball players who, for whatever reason, had ratings out of high-school that were not reliable predictors of their college potential. And, he has had sucess in finding transfer students who either filled existing needs or added valuable depth in conjunction with signing some highly ranked players.

This has resulted in a deep, and talented, roster.

I think the poster was talking about Matta's recruitting fading over the last several years. IMHO CTC's recruiting has not been fading in the last several years.

He has had some success in finding basketball players who, for whatever reason, had ratings out of high-school that were not reliable predictors of their college potential. And, he has had sucess in finding transfer students who either filled existing needs or added valuable depth in conjunction with signing some highly ranked players.

You are missing the point entirely. Looking at recruiting rankings IU and OSU are recruiting very similar. Crean has done a better job of building a depth by hitting on some lower ranked guys like Og. Hopefully Newkirk, McSwain, Green, and Gelon are solid role players like NZ, Hartman and Morgan. 17 class is loaded with talent so hopefully he lands some elite talent in that class.

You are missing the point entirely. Looking at recruiting rankings IU and OSU are recruiting very similar. Crean has done a better job of building a depth by hitting on some lower ranked guys like Og. Hopefully Newkirk, McSwain, Green, and Gelon are solid role players like NZ, Hartman and Morgan. 17 class is loaded with talent so hopefully he lands some elite talent in that class.
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... I am not missing the point. I just don't agree with you. The original post was about OSU but somehow you had to make it about IU.

It's true that he's found some success in the near term with under the radar players, but he's also had some pretty high profile failures there, too. For a guy who spends what he spends to see and evaluate as many kids as he does, that's a troubling sign of his skills as an evaluator of talent.

Reactions: bsmitty08
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... I am not missing the point. I just don't agree with you. The original post was about OSU but somehow you had to make it about IU.
What don't you agree with? iU has landed lower ranked guys like OSU is doing. That is fact. They said OsU recruiting is faltering because he is landing lower ranked players and I was pointing out IU was doing the same. Nothing really to disagree with.

It's true that he's found some success in the near term with under the radar players, but he's also had some pretty high profile failures there, too. For a guy who spends what he spends to see and evaluate as many kids as he does, that's a troubling sign of his skills as an evaluator of talent.
I guess we see things differently.

I do not see a many failures with highly ranked (high profile) players and the number of ones who were seem to me to be about the same as with other Power 5 teams.

Only 5/13 players in the roster were 4 or higher. It will be interesting how the roster develops through this year and next.
JBJ....5 star
Bryant 4
Rojo...4 star
Davis..4 star
Cujo...4 star
OG..3 star
morgan..3 star
Hartman...3 star
green...3 star
Newkirk...3 star
Gelon...2 star
Priller...2 star
McSwain..o star Juco.

I guess we see things differently.

I do not see a many failures with highly ranked (high profile) players and the number of ones who were seem to me to be about the same as with other Power 5 teams.
His failures have necessitated reaches like Priller, Hoetzel, April, as well as the reliance on kids like Niego and Burton. As far as high profile guys, The Movement is a textbook example of his challenges as an evaluator.

His failures have necessitated reaches like Priller, Hoetzel, April, as well as the reliance on kids like Niego and Burton. As far as high profile guys, The Movement is a textbook example of his challenges as an evaluator.
I see Niego and Burton as a "plus" in his ability to evaluate talent. He found walk-ons who were not only good practice players but who could play meningful minutes when fouls or injuries required them to. Maybe more importantly, they put pressure on the scholarshp players to perform or lose some game time.

Yes, the "movement" was mostly a failure. But they movement was recruited at a time when few players wanted to come to IU, CTC was trying to establish his recruiting presence in the state of Indiana, and there was considerable pressure for IU to sign in-state talent. Even so, the movment did produce a four-year starter who ended up being the IU record holder for career assists and was an All American.

Finally, recruiting is not an exact science. . . coaches will have hits and misses.

I see Niego and Burton as a "plus" in his ability to evaluate talent. He found walk-ons who were not only good practice players but who could play meningful minutes when fouls or injuries required them to. Maybe more importantly, they put pressure on the scholarshp players to perform or lose some game time.

Yes, the "movement" was mostly a failure. But they movement was recruited at a time when few players wanted to come to IU, CTC was trying to establish his recruiting presence in the state of Indiana, and there was considerable pressure for IU to sign in-state talent. Even so, the movment did produce a four-year starter who ended up being the IU record holder for career assists and was an All American.

Finally, recruiting is not an exact science. . . coaches will have hits and misses.
Of course recruiting has hits and misses, but you've failed to make a solid case for Crean's spotty record in that space, while adding to the raft of meaningless excuses meant to explain away his obvious shortcomings.

Creans failures in recruiting have been with roster structure and balance. The vonleh year we lacked any type of shooting. The following year we lacked any type of Interior presence or defense. This past year we looked improved but still far from being a top 10 caliber program. This year will be interesting to me..we have some nice peices in the front court but we have some unknowns in the backcourt..Blackmon healthy/defense, Rojo playing a pg role, Newkirk. Cujo/green being able to fill a role.

Last edited:
The O$U will always be a football school. Urb is big man on campus, Basketball is just something to do in Ohio before Spring Football starts.

Don't they have a national championship and another final four appearance since 2007? Oh, and a sweet 16 and an elite 8?

It's hard for me to find something that's only in your imagination

When I take a pic and post it here, what are you going to owe me? Serious, if you're going to be an arrogant ass, I want a wager here. What are you willing to pony up? And don't be a candyass about it, make it worthwhile. Several $100 bills, perhaps you send me some tickets to a game next season? If you're going to be a prick about something you obviously don't have a damn clue what you're talking about, be a man and back it up.

The "movement" fooled fans, recruiting services and other D1 coaches. The class was very damaging to continuity. As far as the "reaches"....yes there have been a number of "bombs" (would not include Hoetzel in that group) but look at the end of nearly every teams bench and you will find players that are not much help to a team.

When I take a pic and post it here, what are you going to owe me? Serious, if you're going to be an arrogant ass, I want a wager here. What are you willing to pony up? And don't be a candyass about it, make it worthwhile. Several $100 bills, perhaps you send me some tickets to a game next season? If you're going to be a prick about something you obviously don't have a damn clue what you're talking about, be a man and back it up.
A pic of someone comparing Shawn Bradley to Chamberlain? Yes I'd like to see a pic of that

Ya gotta love the Internet tough guys, beer muscles have nothing on keyboard muscles

All of this should not be necessary. According to precedent, if someone posts something they heard, or I assume read, elsewhere, and is unable to verify that piece of information, it should, nevertheless, be considered a FACT by everyone else.

All of this should not be necessary. According to precedent, if someone posts something they heard, or I assume read, elsewhere, and is unable to verify that piece of information, it should be considered a FACT by everyone else.
That's not what was said....how long until you are done throwing this tantrum over having a post deleted?

The "movement" fooled fans, recruiting services and other D1 coaches. The class was very damaging to continuity. As far as the "reaches"....yes there have been a number of "bombs" (would not include Hoetzel in that group) but look at the end of nearly every teams bench and you will find players that are not much help to a team.
It fooled some people, but not all.

All of this should not be necessary. According to precedent, if someone posts something they heard, or I assume read, elsewhere, and is unable to verify that piece of information, it should, nevertheless, be considered a FACT by everyone else.

Oh, I'm perfectly fine posting evidence. Mama taught me never to make a bet if I wasn't 100% positive of winning it. Just want to know what I'm winning from this fool before I go down to the storage room and dig into this box to pull out the magazine and get a pic.

A pic of someone comparing Shawn Bradley to Chamberlain? Yes I'd like to see a pic of that

Ya gotta love the Internet tough guys, beer muscles have nothing on keyboard muscles

So you're not taking the bet, I assume. Predictable.

BTW, get the quote right. The "recruiting guru" said that the Bradley vs. Montross match-up was going to eventually rival Russell vs. Chamberlain.

So you're not taking the bet, I assume. Predictable.

BTW, get the quote right. The "recruiting guru" said that the Bradley vs. Montross match-up was going to eventually rival Russell vs. Chamberlain.
And I don't remember anyone saying anything remotely close to that...it's been a long time, I'd like to see who the idiot was that said it

The only thing predictable was you making things personal

I made it personal? You're the one who said I was a liar. Yes, at that point I take it very personal. I can't help that your failing memory doesn't allow you to remember stuff further back than 25 years.

I made it personal? You're the one who said I was a liar. Yes, at that point I take it very personal. I can't help that your failing memory doesn't allow you to remember stuff further back than 25 years.
I asked you to show me, that's it...but I guess you can't

Good day muscles

Only 5/13 players in the roster were 4 or higher. It will be interesting how the roster develops through this year and next.
JBJ....5 star
Bryant 4
Rojo...4 star
Davis..4 star
Cujo...4 star
OG..3 star
morgan..3 star
Hartman...3 star
green...3 star
Newkirk...3 star
Gelon...2 star
Priller...2 star
McSwain..o star Juco.
What does the number of stars mean after a year or two in college basketball? Would you give Priller 2 stars today? Recruiting rankings mean nothing after players have spent a year competing. The important thing is can the kids play and where do they help the team. OG, Juwan, and Thomas have an upside that is more valuable than their star ranking. A juco with a nice track record is much more important than a 0 star ranking.

If you depend on reading the stars, Priller and Gelon would be better players than McSwain. Do you want to make a bet on which plays more minutes, scores, rebounds, and defends better? I'll take the 0 star McSwain and you can have the field of 2 star players.

And I said, if I'm going to take the time to dig through the box down in the storage room to find the magazine and take a pic, I want the person who called me a liar to first make a wager here for all to see. You're the one who called me out for telling imaginary tales...put your money where your mouth is.

And I said, if I'm going to take the time to dig through the box down in the storage room to find the magazine and take a pic, I want the person who called me a liar to first make a wager here for all to see. You're the one who called me out for telling imaginary tales...put your money where your mouth is.
I called you out after you freaked out

I asked for you to show where that was said fir two reasons

1) I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to say it

2) if someone was dumb enough, I want to know who

I done wIth this and you. You obviously have mental/anger issues

Which "recruiting guru" made the claim?

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT