ADVERTISEMENT

OSU

I never said that they did not care about the regular season but it does promote the tournament all year which is all right with me. With the difference in what they pay for the season compared to the tournament it shows what they feel is more important.

You do know that they don't just come up with the rights fees on their own....right? They are negotiated, if they are paying more it's because the NCAA is charging more for the tournament rights.

Regardless how cbs spends it's advertising dollar, it makes sense that they would use the tournament to drum up interest in regular season games. Most people that watch regular season college basketball games already have the NCAA Tournament circled on their calendars, so using regular season games to remind people of the tournament seems wasteful. I think they more likely use "The Road to the Final Four" concept to attach the regular season games to the tourney, thereby making those games seem more important to the average fan

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
CBS does use the tournament to promote the regular season, and vice versa. They care about both, regardless of what you and Scott foolishly believe.

Didn't say they didn't care about the regular season, as many times as you keep trying to pin that particular quote on me. I'm saying they shelled out over 10x as much money for tournament rights as they did regular season rights. That shows their relative interest when it comes to money paid out vs. the revenue dollars they think it will bring in. I'd like to live in a fantasy world where I could argue with a straight face that $11 billion is equal footing to $1 billion. Of course they have an interest in the regular season, they wouldn't have paid a billion dollars otherwise. But to suggest a part of that billion dollar investment isn't as a vehicle to hype up their far larger investment is just damned stupid. It's the argument of folks that keep having FACTS thrown at them and they're so desperate about not losing an argument that they'll just keep screaming "does not" like a 2nd grader.

Didn't say they didn't care about the regular season, as many times as you keep trying to pin that particular quote on me. I'm saying they shelled out over 10x as much money for tournament rights as they did regular season rights. That shows their relative interest when it comes to money paid out vs. the revenue dollars they think it will bring in. I'd like to live in a fantasy world where I could argue with a straight face that $11 billion is equal footing to $1 billion. Of course they have an interest in the regular season, they wouldn't have paid a billion dollars otherwise. But to suggest a part of that billion dollar investment isn't as a vehicle to hype up their far larger investment is just damned stupid. It's the argument of folks that keep having FACTS thrown at them and they're so desperate about not losing an argument that they'll just keep screaming "does not" like a 2nd grader.
They shelled out much more money for the tourney because of the exclusivity of rights and the national scope of the tournament, rather than the fragmented nature of broadcast rights in place across conferences and teams during the regular season. You obviously aren't much of a follower of the sport if you don't understand that very elementary distinction and the corresponding value difference.

And you don't understand much about basic math if you're trying to equate $11 billion with $1 billion.

Exclusivity of rights + national scope = more valuable property and thus greater marketing emphasis. Thanks for again making my point for me.

And you don't understand much about basic math if you're trying to equate $11 billion with $1 billion.

Exclusivity of rights + national scope = more valuable property and thus greater marketing emphasis. Thanks for again making my point for me.
So, you obviously didn't understand that very basic point regarding the broadcast rights during the regular season versus the tournament. Hardly surprising, just as its not surprising that you apparently still can't understand that CBS doesn't now nor never has behaved as though the regular season didn't matter. The more you post, the sillier it gets.

So, you obviously didn't understand that very basic point regarding the broadcast rights during the regular season versus the tournament. Hardly surprising, just as its not surprising that you apparently still can't understand that CBS doesn't now nor never has behaved as though the regular season didn't matter. The more you post, the sillier it gets.
Where did he say that CBS thought the regular season did not matter.

Where did he say that CBS thought the regular season did not matter.
He jumped on that bandwagon with you earlier in this thread. I know your positions here change constantly, but you guys are arguing a point that makes no sense, which is pretty typical for both of you.

He jumped on that bandwagon with you earlier in this thread. I know your positions here change constantly, but you guys are arguing a point that makes no sense, which is pretty typical for both of you.
Nobody ever said that CBS thought the regular season was meaningless but what was their priority was and that is the tournament in my opinion.

Nobody ever said that CBS thought the regular season was meaningless but what was their priority was and that is the tournament in my opinion.
You really need to read before posting, you obviously skim over posts and reply based on your general feeling of what was said....you miss what was actually said

Spa said to Monte that he acted like CBS thinks the regular season does not matter and I responded that Monte had never said that.
You and Monte have both been saying that, tho I know you often flip flop your views, so it's not a surprise that you would change

You and Monte have both been saying that, tho I know you often flip flop your views, so it's not a surprise that you would change
When did we say that we thought CBS thought it was meaningless because I never felt that way. What I feel is that CBS priority is promoting the tournament and using the regular season to do that.

How did it go from us thinking CBS thinks the tournament is more important to us thinking CBS thinks the regular season is meaningless. All I did at the beginning of this discussion was to show that CBS starts promoting the tournament during the December regular season games.

Last edited:
When did we say that we thought CBS thought it was meaningless because I never felt that way. What I feel is that CBS priority is promoting the tournament and using the regular season to do that.

How did it go from us thinking CBS thinks the tournament is more important to us thinking CBS thinks the regular season is meaningless. All I did at the beginning of this discussion was to show that CBS starts promoting the tournament during the December regular season games.
You said that in support of someone who was claiming that CBS was trying to make the regular season meaningless. Pick a side for once

All I am saying is that I never once said that I thought CBS thought that the regular season was meaningless
Spa asked a poster for proof of CBS' downplaying the regular season, you replied with how CBS is pumping up the tourney in Dec...if you weren't defending the faulty premise, what were you doing?

Spa asked for proof from you, Then Monte links a promo showing CBS hyping the tourney..if he wasn't defending your position, what was he doing?

Both of you might have been just posting random thoughts but in the way they were presented it sure did look like you were agreeing that CBS was trying to downplay the regular season.

If neither of you agreed with the faulty CBS junk, why did you join the debate?

Spa asked a poster for proof of CBS' downplaying the regular season, you replied with how CBS is pumping up the tourney in Dec...if you weren't defending the faulty premise, what were you doing?

Spa asked for proof from you, Then Monte links a promo showing CBS hyping the tourney..if he wasn't defending your position, what was he doing?

Both of you might have been just posting random thoughts but in the way they were presented it sure did look like you were agreeing that CBS was trying to downplay the regular season.

If neither of you agreed with the faulty CBS junk, why did you join the debate?
down playing and saying it is meaningless are two different things.

It is equally true that many people have fallen for the CBS hype message that the only thing that matters is the NCAA tournament.

CBS has said that "the only thing that matters is the NCAA tournament"? Can you link that quote for me?

How about during every game even in December the promo on CBS the Road to the Final Four, so they are promoting the tournament 4 months in advance. I have no problem with that since my favorite sporting event is the tournament. Even on the talk shows on ESPN there are a lot of people who say they don't even pay attention to college basketball until championship week.

Reread the original reply Scott. If you weren't defending the original message why did you reply? Now tell me that your reply doesn't read as a defense of Stuffs bs?

Reread the original reply Scott. If you weren't defending the original message why did you reply? Now tell me that your reply doesn't read as a defense of Stuffs bs?
Because I like talking college basketball. Where in that post did I ever say that the regular season was meaningless. I said if you watch some of the shows especially on ESPN they never talk about college basketball until around championship week. I have heard a couple of host on ESPN saying that the regular season in college basketball is meaningless

Because I like talking college basketball. Where in that post did I ever say that the regular season was meaningless. I said if you watch some of the shows especially on ESPN they never talk about college basketball until around championship week. I have heard a couple of host on ESPN saying that the regular season in college basketball is meaningless
Look at the post to which you replied,,...why would you reply directly to a post if you were talking about a different topic? You were obviously defending stuff, you're just too stubborn to admit t

You screwed up, just admit it and walk away

Look at the post to which you replied,,...why would you reply directly to a post if you were talking about a different topic? You were obviously defending stuff, you're just too stubborn to admit t

You screwed up, just admit it and walk away
How did I screw up. My viewpoint has always been that CBS put more emphasis on the tournament and most people do but never said CBS thinks the regular season is meaning less. Believe whatever you want because that is you choice but I am done with this argument.

I didn't. Never said anything close to that. But there's an assumption that if they repeat that enough it'll make it true.
I didn't say you said, Stuffshot said it, Scott defended stuffs statement, and then you linked a video defending Scott

If you weren't agreeing with Stuffs statement, why did Scott defend it, and then why did you try to provide proof defending Scott?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT