ADVERTISEMENT

Only Race and Durr should guard Coburn!!!

dmc456

Junior
Dec 11, 2011
Let TJD play off Coburn to give help and defend the paint…he will also stay out of foul trouble.

Coach tried putting TJD on Coburn twice and it didn’t work….then Trace and Durr slowed or shut him down.

We do this and we have a much better chance of winning!

I approve of this strategy 100%.

TJDs help defense will vastly improve team D if he doesn't have to anchor to Kofi, also likely improves D rebounding and ability to transition to push the pace with X and Trey.

Hell, I wouldn't even mind a curveball. Start Durr in place of Race to match him up with Kofi from the start for the first 4 min and to absorb the inevitable quick whistles and to changeup the Illini game plan from the get go.

I approve of this strategy 100%.

TJDs help defense will vastly improve team D if he doesn't have to anchor to Kofi, also likely improves D rebounding and ability to transition to push the pace with X and Trey.

Hell, I wouldn't even mind a curveball. Start Durr in place of Race to match him up with Kofi from the start for the first 4 min and to absorb the inevitable quick whistles and to changeup the Illini game plan from the get go.
I do agree with that strategy. Screw with the matchups they game planned for. Couple of unexpected curveballs could be positive.

I'm listening to Coyle and Dylan Sinn. They say we need to play JG on Kofi some. Not sure about that.
I need to go back and look but didn’t TJD get in foul trouble last year (Maybe while Race was hurt?) against Kofi and Geronimo come in and guard him for a long stretch with quite a bit of success? They may not be completely crazy but probably no something you would do for long periods of time.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I need to go back and look but didn’t TJD get in foul trouble last year (Maybe while Race was hurt?) against Kofi and Geronimo come in and guard him for a long stretch with quite a bit of success? They may not be completely crazy but probably no something you would do for long periods of time.
I think you're thinking of Iowa and Luka Garza. I don't remember JG on Kofi, but I do remember being impressed with the job JG did on Garza. Cockburn is another story though, as he's still a good bit bigger than Garza. Still, remembering how he did on Garza, I'd not be opposed to trying it. But, between TJD, RT and MD that's 15 fouls to give. I do like the idea of rotating, but I'd imagine the lion's share will come down to TJD and RT. You'd think TJD could get KC in foul trouble but it seems to me he doesn't really go right at him but tries to shoot over him and has struggled. Go at him, shot fake and get him off his feet.

I remember he played Garza well, but don't recall him doing so vs. Cockburn. I think it's an interesting idea. Cockburn gets frustrated, then disinterested if he can't just mow people over.

Reactions: kkott
Durr did amazing against Coburn...because the couldn't man handle him. And when Coburn makes a move to the basket TJD is waiting with room to go up for the block.

TJD is great off ball defender to clean up the paint. Use him that way!!!!

Let TJD play off Coburn to give help and defend the paint…he will also stay out of foul trouble.

Coach tried putting TJD on Coburn twice and it didn’t work….then Trace and Durr slowed or shut him down.

We do this and we have a much better chance of winning!
I don’t think this is a bad idea. I think Race and Durr were much more effective when we played them. Need to cycle them some or fouls will become a real issue

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT