ADVERTISEMENT

One thing that bothers me I haven't seen talked about very much.

Hoosiers47614

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2019
Running QBs are and always have been an Achilles' Heel for Allen's defenses. Not necessarily to the degree we saw yesterday, but the two biggest things that have given his system fits are good tight ends that can play over the middle and QBs who are a run threat.

My question is, why is Allen unwilling to adjust his schemes to counter those problems, especially with QBs like Irons who are suspect passers? Yes, Irons played out of his mind yesterday, but his career numbers say that if you contain him and force him to beat you with his arm, he's probably not going to be able to do that for an entire game. So, why, WHY, did it take until the 2nd overtime before we finally used a spy?! In overtime two, and it looked like on Akron's two-point conversion attempts, we kept Casey on him as a QB spy, and guess what? It worked! He stopped gashing us, and the two designed runs for him Akron tried in OT2 both got stuffed.

Our linebackers are mostly used as blitzers anyways, so it doesn't seem like a spy is taking all that much away from our coverage schemes, and yet Allen almost resolutely refuses to implement the simplest answer to a running quarterback. I don't understand it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News