ADVERTISEMENT

On Traditional Media and Why it Sucks

A

anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

I don’t know how many are following the @LibsOfTikTok saga but it’s a bizarre disgrace and an example of why traditional media (in this case Washington Post) is losing and we have to find our news ourselves which isn’t sustainable.

The account - I use Twitter so that’s where I see it - posts real videos of Culture Warriors saying their Culture War things - often crossing into the ideology of extreme LGBTQ activism and pressing it into schools. At some point, posting these actual videos (WHICH ARE REAL) has made the account creator a target of woke journalist Taylor Lorenz at WaPo. Lorenz - who has cried in the past openly about being bullied online- has since doxxed the account creator and provided a name and address. Lorenz has done so by declaring the posting of these REAL VIDEOS to be anti-LGBTQ. Lorenz even tried to visit relatives of the account owner as caught on Ring cams.

Lorenz’s further odious “journalism” will simply write a statement declaring a post to be anti-LGBTQ by describing the video’s content creator as saying something innocuous but in reality the LibsOfTikTok account posts the actual video and it does not match the innocuous description supplied by Lorenz. I don’t understand how this is acceptable. Hard Left accounts are now posting fake tweets ascribed to the LibsOfTikTok account.

My take: Culture Warriors are setting back LGBTQ rights with their defense of these bizarre takes in these videos. Main Street America is rightfully increasingly accepting LGBTQ more than ever before - but the gains will slow because of idiots like Lorenz and the extremists shown in these videos. I fully endorse Enjeti’s thought below.

Lorenz’s article:

Here’s Lorenz explaining in the past why it’s a bad idea to doxx people but it didn’t seem to stop her this time.

When even Saagar Enjeti (known for his calm conservatism) gets riled up - you know it’s ridiculous.

example video posted on the account - it depicts a preschool teacher explaining how she reps Queer ideology to her students:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will agree the Lorenz saga is pretty appalling. But this shit sells man. Gotta get clicks! So you have the Lorenz's of the world. Maureen Dowd needs a successor don't ya know.

example video posted on the account - it depicts a preschool teacher explaining how she reps Queer ideology to her students:

Also, defending LIbsofTikTok will get you burned.

While the teacher (assuming this is all real) in the clip is......not my cup of tea, I'm not sure I'd call what she's saying "grooming" (which is what LibsofTikTok is selling).

SJW in the extreme, yeah. Grooming (and all that word entails), no.

Reactions: hoosboot
I will agree the Lorenz saga is pretty appalling. But this shit sells man. Gotta get clicks! So you have the Lorenz's of the world. Maureen Dowd needs a successor don't ya know.

Also, defending LIbsofTikTok will get you burned.

While the teacher (assuming this is all real) in the clip is......not my cup of tea, I'm not sure I'd call what she's saying "grooming" (which is what LibsofTikTok is selling).

SJW in the extreme, yeah. Grooming (and all that word entails), no.
We can agree or disagree on the term “grooming” and that it’s probably overused by the Righty side of the culture war. Of course that young lady has a right to teach preschool. Her presence in a preschool should not get people riled up. However, the content of her discussion in that video makes it clear - to me - that she wears her Queer identity on her sleeve to these preschool students and I find that objectionable and disqualifying. To me, that’s grooming.

We can agree or disagree on the term “grooming” and that it’s probably overused by the Righty side of the culture war. Of course that young lady has a right to teach preschool. Her presence in a preschool should not get people riled up. However, the content of her discussion in that video makes it clear - to me - that she wears her Queer identity on her sleeve to these preschool students and I find that objectionable and disqualifying. To me, that’s grooming.
I generally agree as I would find anybody wearing their sexuality on their sleeve in a preschool classroom damn near disqualifying.

Grooming to me is more akin to somebody taking advantage of a younger or more inexperienced person for the purposes of using them sexually.

I would sure hope that's not the case with her. She's just weird.

I also think LibsofTikTok finds outrageous shit to stir the pot. I don't believe for a red hot second that the type of behavior or sentiment in that video isn't anything other than an extreme outlier in today's schools. I may be proven wrong but just showing teh extreme isn't telling the whole story.

I generally agree as I would find anybody wearing their sexuality on their sleeve in a preschool classroom damn near disqualifying.

Grooming to me is more akin to somebody taking advantage of a younger or more inexperienced person for the purposes of using them sexually.

I also think LibsofTikTok finds outrageous shit to stir the pot. I don't believe for a red hot second that the type of behavior or sentiment in that video isn't anything other than an extreme outlier in today's schools. I may be proven wrong but just showing teh extreme isn't telling the whole story.
Your definition of grooming is incorrect in my opinion. You’re describing Statutory Rape - which happens steps past grooming and isn’t necessarily a conclusion of grooming.

I think the current concern of “Grooming” is how authority figures (eg teachers) are pushing their version of an ideology into young, malleable minds. I would be equally appalled and would confront a teacher who had a MAGA flag in his classroom and was pushing MAGA ideology. The problem is that in todays society - I can do the latter but not cannot criticize the former. And that’s utter horseshit.

Preschool teachers are an odd bunch to begin with, but "grooming" is a pretty loaded word and I think most people who use it understand the implication that you noted.

I didn't have any problem with the intentions that she stated in that video - setting the table for kids who turn out to be straight to respect and accept kids who turn out to be queer and for kids who turn out to be queer to love and accept themselves. One might quibble with how she gets there, but I don't see that information or that quibble here. So, "grooming" feels like a major and troubling inaccuracy.

Last edited:
Your definition of grooming is incorrect in my opinion. You’re describing Statutory Rape - which happens steps past grooming and isn’t necessarily a conclusion of grooming.

I think the current concern of “Grooming” is how authority figures (eg teachers) are pushing their version of an ideology into young, malleable minds. I would be equally appalled and would confront a teacher who had a MAGA flag in his classroom and was pushing MAGA ideology. The problem is that in todays society - I can do the latter but not cannot criticize the former. And that’s utter horseshit.
Your opinion is incorrect in my opinion and in the opinion of wikipedia and the oxford dictionary. I suspect that the fiery emotions on this topic come from the disconnect in the understandings of this definition, but just type "grooming definition" into your favorite search engine and see what comes up.

And while I'm sure that your lack of awareness of the loaded definition of the word is innocent and sincere, I suspect that the usage in the Libs of TikTok post was intentional.

I don’t know how many are following the @LibsOfTikTok saga but it’s a bizarre disgrace and an example of why traditional media (in this case Washington Post) is losing and we have to find our news ourselves which isn’t sustainable.

The account - I use Twitter so that’s where I see it - posts real videos of Culture Warriors saying their Culture War things - often crossing into the ideology of extreme LGBTQ activism and pressing it into schools. At some point, posting these actual videos (WHICH ARE REAL) has made the account creator a target of woke journalist Taylor Lorenz at WaPo. Lorenz - who has cried in the past openly about being bullied online- has since doxxed the account creator and provided a name and address. Lorenz has done so by declaring the posting of these REAL VIDEOS to be anti-LGBTQ. Lorenz even tried to visit relatives of the account owner as caught on Ring cams.

Lorenz’s further odious “journalism” will simply write a statement declaring a post to be anti-LGBTQ by describing the video’s content creator as saying something innocuous but in reality the LibsOfTikTok account posts the actual video and it does not match the innocuous description supplied by Lorenz. I don’t understand how this is acceptable. Hard Left accounts are now posting fake tweets ascribed to the LibsOfTikTok account.

My take: Culture Warriors are setting back LGBTQ rights with their defense of these bizarre takes in these videos. Main Street America is rightfully increasingly accepting LGBTQ more than ever before - but the gains will slow because of idiots like Lorenz and the extremists shown in these videos. I fully endorse Enjeti’s thought below.

Lorenz’s article:

Here’s Lorenz explaining in the past why it’s a bad idea to doxx people but it didn’t seem to stop her this time.

When even Saagar Enjeti (known for his calm conservatism) gets riled up - you know it’s ridiculous.

define "real".

while said videos can exist, have their origins, and the motives behind them, been verified?

that said, it's easy to verify something did or didn't happen.

pining down the real motive behind it, is a different matter all together.

we all know there is no lack of total idiots in the world, both liberal and conservative, and all stops in between.

that said, i'm old enough to realize not everything is what it seems, and while total idiots absolutely do exist, total fakers and false flag activists do too.

i'm skeptical of much these days, as should everyone be.

that's just the world we live in.

on that note, the WaPo is owned by Jeff Bezos.

anyone who thinks Jeff Bezos ever wants Dems owning the house and senate, makes those in the videos and those waiting in Dallas for JFK and Jr to drive by, look totally sane by comparison.

Your opinion is incorrect in my opinion and in the opinion of wikipedia and the oxford dictionary. I suspect that the fiery emotions on this topic come from the disconnect in the understandings of this definition, but just type "grooming definition" into your favorite search engine and see what comes up.

And while I'm sure that your lack of awareness of the loaded definition of the word is innocent and sincere, I suspect that the usage in the Libs of TikTok post was intentional.
I don’t fully disagree with you but it’s that there is a lack of a better word for: “using your position of power to push your ideology into malleable minds to get them to see it your way.” Pick a better word and I’ll use it. Groomer is the internet’s new word for what I’ve described. I agree it can be problematic.

Reactions: DANC

Lorenz’s article:

whenever i worry about the tens of millions in the US with no health coverage, or living month to month financially, or about our democracy in peril, i then see some stupid tweet or video, and realize health coverage for the uncovered, and affordable houses for the working class, and the fact that some Pubs want to be able to overturn every election that doesn't go their way, is so totally unimportant in the grand scheme of things when compared with the reality that somewhere, sometime, someone, is making a total fool of themselves on social media.

so glad i have the Pubs to remind me what's really important in the world and life, and what isn't.

I don’t fully disagree with you but it’s that there is a lack of a better word for: “using your position of power to push your ideology into malleable minds to get them to see it your way.” Pick a better word and I’ll use it. Groomer is the internet’s new word for what I’ve described. I agree it can be problematic.
I'd humbly suggest that it's intentionally problematic by the people who are pushing the use of the word and aren't as open to alternatives as you are. The overlap with the pedophile implications isn't a "problem" in their minds. It's an asset.

One could use "brainwashing" or "indoctrinating" or "lobbying" since they all have definitions that suggest what you actually mean, where "grooming" doesn't. I suspect you might because you are interested in accurately presenting a thoughtful argument. I don't suspect that is the case for a great many of the people using "grooming" to talk about teaching kids.

Brainwashing?

Reactions: DANC
whenever i worry about the tens of millions in the US with no health coverage, or living month to month financially, or about our democracy in peril, i then see some stupid tweet or video, and realize health coverage for the uncovered, and affordable houses for the working class, and the fact that some Pubs want to be able to overturn every election that doesn't go their way, is so totally unimportant in the grand scheme of things when compared with the reality that somewhere, sometime, someone, is making a total fool of themselves on social media.

so glad i have the Pubs to remind me what's really important in the world and life, and what isn't.
Yeah, except that these people are the whack job extreme. There is a whole bunch of shit that happens well below that level that is questionable.

For instance, my school district has added "microagressions" as a type of speech that is not allowed in the school system. It can earn punishment for the student. Keep in mind that it was already not acceptable to use hate speech or bully.

Covering gender fluidity, nonbinary, homosexuality, etc. with a bunch of young children is asinine. The numbers of young people who are identifying as "queer" has exploded. People didn't suddenly evolve to be more gay. There is absolutely pressure and cool social points to be had to claim you are bisexual (but I never hook up with the opposite sex), demisexual (which is really just a romantic hetero), etc.

Furthermore, you are allowed to decide what is important for you. Someone sure as shit decided at some point that it was uber important to start having these inappropriate discussions in elementary school or else ther would not have been a push back. Conservatism is reactionary by nature. They are not the aggressors in the culture war. The progressives are by their definition. They push for change. Constantly. If you punch me in the face and I punch you back, you are the aggressor in our war. Not me.

I'd humbly suggest that it's intentionally problematic by the people who are pushing the use of the word and aren't as open to alternatives as you are. The overlap with the pedophile implications isn't a "problem" in their minds. It's an asset.

One could use "brainwashing" or "indoctrinating" or "lobbying" since they all have definitions that suggest what you actually mean, where "grooming" doesn't. I suspect you might because you are interested in accurately presenting a thoughtful argument. I don't suspect that is the case for a great many of the people using "grooming" to talk about teaching kids.
Have these discussions with us but don't tell your parents. They use the term "grooming" because the behavior is similar. Talk about adult sexual topics with kids. Try and get then to think or behave how you want them. Tell them to hide these discussions from their parents.

Don't want to be accused of being a groomer, stop having those discussions with our, in the case of the video, preschool kids. 4 year olds. The Florida bill was to not have these discussions with K-3. That would be 5 to 9 year olds.

Maybe. I appreciate the latitude here as you have portrayed my meaning in the correct way. I do find it hard to believe that the consumers of LibsOfTikTok really take it to mean Statutory Rape but I admit I don’t know so we can agree it’s problematic.

My first grade teacher in the 70's wore her blackness on her skin every day. It was a great experience for me and the 90% white classroom she taught in that year.

Just think, people would have (DID!) object to that not so long ago.

It was an article about the Tweet below and James Carville (who has attacked the woke concept) saying this was very powerful.

Without knowing the full story, did Mallory publish a video of herself talking about pushing LGBTQ ideology into school children? If not this doesn’t fit the topic.

Thought about it. Too broad. Too easily applied to all things. Not narrow enough to mean a person in power coercing their charge - who has to be there by statutory law.
So imparting values on impressionable young minds in the setting of a captive audience, so designated by the power of the state...

I think that's just called "school." 😁

When paired with the Michigan Senator using the word 'groomer' to describe her Dem colleague, which also included accusations of pedophilia, I think it's pretty clear it's a word being used by the right to paint a specific picture.

Without knowing the full story, did Mallory publish a video of herself talking about pushing LGBTQ ideology into school children? If not this doesn’t fit the topic.

What should a teacher do if a kid comes to them saying something like they don't feel like a boy (or girl)? Or if they say they like their own gender? Or that other kids are picking on them because of the above?

When paired with the Michigan Senator using the word 'groomer' to describe her Dem colleague, which also included accusations of pedophilia, I think it's pretty clear it's a word being used by the right to paint a specific picture.
Grooming always implies an intention to use the victim for the perpetrator's sexual gratification in some form. It's use in the Twitter post in this discussion was unquestionably irresponsible. And probably intentional.

Yeah, except that these people are the whack job extreme. There is a whole bunch of shit that happens well below that level that is questionable.

For instance, my school district has added "microagressions" as a type of speech that is not allowed in the school system. It can earn punishment for the student. Keep in mind that it was already not acceptable to use hate speech or bully.

Covering gender fluidity, nonbinary, homosexuality, etc. with a bunch of young children is asinine. The numbers of young people who are identifying as "queer" has exploded. People didn't suddenly evolve to be more gay. There is absolutely pressure and cool social points to be had to claim you are bisexual (but I never hook up with the opposite sex), demisexual (which is really just a romantic hetero), etc.

Furthermore, you are allowed to decide what is important for you. Someone sure as shit decided at some point that it was uber important to start having these inappropriate discussions in elementary school or else ther would not have been a push back. Conservatism is reactionary by nature. They are not the aggressors in the culture war. The progressives are by their definition. They push for change. Constantly. If you punch me in the face and I punch you back, you are the aggressor in our war. Not me.
THe Repubican Governor of Indiana disagrees with you as it pertains to banning trans kids from participating in sports. he reviewed what was actually happening around the state and decided there was no need for such a law because it was already being dealt with by the IHSAA. But the right pursued it, partly because they're just mockingbirds of other red states and partly for culture war purposes.

i went to elementary school in the 1950s and 60s.

we literally got a grade on our report card in "Citizenship". (satisfactory/unsatisfactory).

so the entire concept of how we interact didn't start yesterday.

that said, i'm just not buying that gender woke is being brought up in grade school other than the rare exception to the rule.

if it's being discussed in the the school boards on a widespread basis, i'm guessing it's because the right wing idiots are making it an issue whereas it otherwise wouldn't be.

they so much want it be so, as it's such a great diversion from real issues like wages and healthcare and the assault on elections.

on a scale of 1 to 1,000 for actual issues, i'm guessing gender woke in grade school is probably north of 990.

and it's the right, not the left, trying to move it up on the scale.

grasping for straws, when they got nothing else but immigration and face masks.

Grooming always implies an intention to use the victim for the perpetrator's sexual gratification in some form. It's use in the Twitter post in this discussion was unquestionably irresponsible. And probably intentional.
How about failing to ascribe immoral verbiage to pedophiles?

No, today's LBGTQ+ opponents would have been opponents of desegregation 50-60 years ago. Sorry if that hurts your feeling.
Opponents yes. I’m not an opponent. I’m an opponent of SJWs and Culture Warriors convincing kids that being LGBTQ is the new “it” thing which is happening in front of my eyes.

If you’re too simple that you can’t see the difference between an LGBTQ person and an “evangelical” then you can sit this one out.

My first grade teacher in the 70's wore her blackness on her skin every day. It was a great experience for me and the 90% white classroom she taught in that year.

Just think, people would have (DID!) object to that not so long ago.
Reading through all these posts, I'm not even sure what someone 'wearing something on their skin" means, though in your example I get it ;).

I'm not sure what people are worried about if their kids' pre-K through 3rd grade teacher is gay and 'wear it on their sleeve or skin.' A lot of my teachers in those years were nuns, but my 2nd and 4th grade teachers weren't. I knew my 2nd grade teacher was married - and I knew my 4th grade teacher was single (every 4th grade boy had a major crush on her, but that's another story). Is it the worst thing ever if a kid knows that Mr. Smith has a husband? I honestly don't see the problem with that. I wouldn't have batted an eye if one of my kids' teachers was gay.

That said, if my 4th grade teacher would have come in on Monday mornings talking about hooking up with guys over the weekend, I'm certain she wouldn't have lasted long in her job. Why is it so hard to apply the same standard to a gay teacher?

Reactions: bub-rub
Opponents yes. I’m not an opponent. I’m an opponent of SJWs and Culture Warriors convincing kids that being LGBTQ is the new “it” thing which is happening in front of my eyes.

If you’re too simple that you can’t see the difference between an LGBTQ person and an “evangelical” then you can sit this one out.
How much consideration have you given to kids feeling more comfortable coming out now than they did for the past however many decades? They're not being convinced to BE gay, they're being told that if you think you are, it's ok to say so and act so.

I see just fine.

Call the school counselor or nurse or whoever is designated then have them call the parents. Simple.

It isn't that simple because we know kids get bullied, especially kids that are different. What good is it to tell the parents "hey, your kid is getting bullied, do something about it".

It isn't that simple because we know kids get bullied, especially kids that are different. What good is it to tell the parents "hey, your kid is getting bullied, do something about it".
Not sure I follow. The reasons for timely parental notification are many

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT