ADVERTISEMENT

Omicron "variant of concern"

A little more than a month ago, hospitalizations nationally dipped below 47,000. Today they’re north of 67,000 with Omicron still gearing up.

I think you'd logically give it to the people most likely to die. That would be the stupid unvaxxed ones. Karens and Kyles are in front.

I get the idea that unvaxxed should be "punished" by moving to the back of a line. It actually fits the conservative implied suggestions that it's somewhat okay for people with diabetes to die because it's their fault anyway. Americans love to see what they perceive as wrongdoing punished. But medicine must remain neutral, normal triage must apply.

I get the idea that unvaxxed should be "punished" by moving to the back of a line. It actually fits the conservative implied suggestions that it's somewhat okay for people with diabetes to die because it's their fault anyway. Americans love to see what they perceive as wrongdoing punished. But medicine must remain neutral, normal triage must apply.
A local GOP politician, Rep. Brian Mast, was touring our research labs a couple of years back and one of my co-workers shared her thoughts on new approaches to treating diabetes. Representative Mast remarked that maybe it would be better if we focused only on disorders that were not self-inflicted and marked by a lack of self-control.

Later (much too late) I thought of asking him how people like Jay Cutler, Tom Hanks, Nick Jonas, Larry King, my 120-lb. father-in-law, et. al. were just "asking for it" by their lack of self-control.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
If idiots refuse to submit to the sting of the jab, they need to be stung where it hurts even more - - their wallets. Go Kroger!

Reactions: UncleMark
A local GOP politician, Rep. Brian Mast, was touring our research labs a couple of years back and one of my co-workers shared her thoughts on new approaches to treating diabetes. Representative Mast remarked that maybe it would be better if we focused only on disorders that were not self-inflicted and marked by a lack of self-control.

Later (much too late) I thought of asking him how people like Jay Cutler, Tom Hanks, Nick Jonas, Larry King, my 120-lb. father-in-law, et. al. were just "asking for it" by their lack of self-control.
Yep, there is a Just World fallacy people fall into. They believe the world/God is just and therefore if something happens bad it must have blame.

It isn't about punishing anyone, it is about rewarding those that made a logical choice for themselves, their families and the general public.

It isn't about punishing anyone, it is about rewarding those that made a logical choice for themselves, their families and the general public.
It's a tool for saving lives though, not a lollipop for good behavior, so I think it has to go where there are the most lives to be saved per pill dispensed.

You use the jaws of life as needed at any car accident scene, even if the car had obviously been recklessly speeding.

It's a tool for saving lives though, not a lollipop for good behavior, so I think it has to go where there are the most lives to be saved per pill dispensed.

You use the jaws of life as needed at any car accident scene, even if the car had obviously been recklessly speeding.
Assuming the jaws are available.

I think it has to go where there are the most lives to be saved per pill dispensed.
So you are saying the meds should be unevenly dispursed in favor of the trumper zip codes? Rewarding these idiots for giving the world the finger?

We shall see how that sells.

So you are saying the meds should be unevenly dispursed in favor of the trumper zip codes? Rewarding these idiots for giving the world the finger?

Kinda like you're saying they should be unevenly dispersed in favor of Biden zip codes.

Another Omicron is less dangerous story, this from Hong Kong University via Bloomberg.

The study, conducted by a team of researchers led by Michael Chan Chi-wai, found that the newest variant of concern replicated less efficiently -- more than 10 times lower -- in the human lung tissue than the original strain which may signal “lower severity of disease.”​

Another Omicron is less dangerous story, this from Hong Kong University via Bloomberg.

The study, conducted by a team of researchers led by Michael Chan Chi-wai, found that the newest variant of concern replicated less efficiently -- more than 10 times lower -- in the human lung tissue than the original strain which may signal “lower severity of disease.”​

GO OMICRON!!!

I think - when this is all over - you’ll be appalled at the tone you’re taking in this.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Biden also stated, accurately, that vaccinated people are less likely to catch the virus than unvaccinated people and, if they do catch it, are less likely to get sick.
I
That was the message that he needed to stick with. Then he dumbed it down for folks, which was a mistake.
Me thinks our society is in trouble when we look to politicians to provide medical advice/policy for the broad populace. I think we are equally in trouble when medical folks align their outreach with the politicians…and the larger the stage, then the larger the error possibilities. When you align an entire population pursuing the wrong path of mandated action, then you get a large scale disaster of complete compliance with the wrong plan. Let the informed folks decide and you cut your losses.
Professionals are inclined to offer their best professional advice, aligned with their professions. But their professions often do not serve the broader, but particular nature of a problem. Keep the advice at a down low of determination at the lowest level possible….the individual, if possible. So folks best be educating themselves and behaving according to what they learned about a particular situation given their particular situations. The POTUS, from any party, is not my doctor, is not my accountant, is not my employer, is not my health coach…etc.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I think - when this is all over - you’ll be appalled at the tone you’re taking in this.
Why? Will people come back to life? Will the economy go backwards and restore people's businesses? Will Trumper's be taxed to reimburse the US for resources used for testing and treatment?

At some point...people need to accept the consequences for their ugly choices.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
Why? Will people come back to life? Will the economy go backwards and restore people's businesses? Will Trumper's be taxed to reimburse the US for resources used for testing and treatment?

At some point...people need to accept the consequences for their ugly choices.
FOX news had a segment that suggested that unvaccinated people should get CoViD-19.
“The virus is dying out”
“It’s time to allow this mild infection to circulate”

FOX news had a segment that suggested that unvaccinated people should get CoViD-19.
“The virus is dying out”
“It’s time to allow this mild infection to circulate”
I posted before that I have read articles that indicate that each sucessive mutation will become less deadly and eventually we will all (or at least reasonable people) get our annual flu and covid shots. It would be great to have a combo vaccine one day. Cannot wait to get rid of these masks.

I posted before that I have read articles that indicate that each sucessive mutation will become less deadly and eventually we will all (or at least reasonable people) get our annual flu and covid shots. It would be great to have a combo vaccine one day. Cannot wait to get rid of these masks.
We still shouldn’t be trying to get it.
It’s hypocrisy for them to say “let the unvaccinated become infected” then in the next breath bitch about Biden not fixing CoViD.
I hate the media
P.S. if you are wearing anything but a properly fitted N95 you are just pissing in the wind

The trend will be for the virus to mutate toward less virulence, but you won't know from one variant to the next.

The trend will be for the virus to mutate toward less virulence, but you won't know from one variant to the next.
It’s going to reach everyone. Because so many South Africans have natural immunity, scientists still don’t have a sense of what Omicron might do once it arrives in sub-populations with low immunity. We have some of those communities due to vaccine resistance. Even “fully vaccinated” communities might see a huge surge in cases. Moderna has typically showed the best results of all vaccines in neutralizing previous variants but a new study I saw finds that 2 doses are 50 times less effective against omicron than they were against the original Wuhan strain.

To be meaningfully protected against the variant, you will need the booster. Which means the great majority of us are vulnerable to catching it.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
It’s going to reach everyone. Because so many South Africans have natural immunity, scientists still don’t have a sense of what Omicron might do once it arrives in sub-populations with low immunity. We have some of those communities due to vaccine resistance. Even “fully vaccinated” communities might see a huge surge in cases. Moderna has typically showed the best results of all vaccines in neutralizing previous variants but a new study I saw finds that 2 doses are 50 times less effective against omicron than they were against the original Wuhan strain.
I get all that. But the bottom line is how much illness is caused? We'll know soon enough, but hopefully this ends up actually being like the flu. Cases don't tell us much.

I get all that. But the bottom line is how much illness is caused? We'll know soon enough, but hopefully this ends up actually being like the flu. Cases don't tell us much.

We have little sense of what Omicron will do to the unvaxxed. Even if it's mild it still presents major risks.
This article says, we risk institutional chaos if basically the entire country falls ill (but not deathly ill) simultaneously.
"I am expecting a lot of school closures"
"a lot of health care professionals might test positive early next year as well"
"So there is a risk of a collapse in international travel"
A few examples he is throwing out there.

Reactions: UncleMark
A lot of infections will be unavoidable. Most of us have professional and family obligations. It will help reduce the strain on various systems if infections can be minimized. I’m not in the go out, get Omicron, and enjoy your immunity camp.

A lot of infections will be unavoidable. Most of us have professional and family obligations. It will help reduce the strain on various systems if infections can be minimized. I’m not in the go out, get Omicron, and enjoy your immunity camp.
I'm not either, but I'm not nearly as freaked out about Omicron as Delta, and certainly not as much as the initial variant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT