ADVERTISEMENT

OMG! But Woody doesn't understand the college game..

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
He doesn't know college substitution patterns. He forgot everything about the motion offense. He tries to use a 2-unit substitition system that cannot work in college. He doesn't listen to his assistant coaches during games. I almost forgot -. Woody is old. Very very old. Surely he does not have the energy and stamina necessary for this job.

How on earth is he able to recruit 5-star players? Are they all falling for this 4-year All-american player for Knight, Big 10 player of the. year, first-round draft pick, decade+ NBA career, 30-year NBA coaching career, blah blah blah....

And maybe worst of all, don't they know that Woody is only going to coach IU for two years?! I read all of this on this on this board so it has to be true!

Couldn't agree with you more.
I guess the part that we just never understood was that 5 players on each team and 1 ball was a different game when played on college hardwood as opposed to profession hardwood.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
He doesn't know college substitution patterns. He forgot everything about the motion offense. He tries to use a 2-unit substitition system that cannot work in college. He doesn't listen to his assistant coaches during games. I almost forgot -. Woody is old. Very very old. Surely he does not have the energy and stamina necessary for this job.

How on earth is he able to recruit 5-star players? Are they all falling for this 4-year All-american player for Knight, Big 10 player of the. year, first-round draft pick, decade+ NBA career, 30-year NBA coaching career, blah blah blah....

And maybe worst of all, don't they know that Woody is only going to coach IU for two years?! I read all of this on this on this board so it has to be true!
I’m on your side Cochise but let’s win a game in the main field of 64 before we put Woody in the college basketball coaching hall of fame.

Agree with winning a tournament game but he is getting the type of player he wants to run his offense, now let's see it translate to wins (I believe it will) this might be the highest rated class in the history of IU ball and pair that with who he already has commits from for next year, excitement/expectations are very high.

Agree with winning a tournament game but he is getting the type of player he wants to run his offense, now let's see it translate to wins (I believe it will) this might be the highest rated class in the history of IU ball and pair that with who he already has commits from for next year, excitement/expectations are very high.
When Trayce comes back this place is gonna hate my notradumbasss

my biggest gripe was the 2nd squad substitution pattern (especially early in the year), much like the NBA. It only works if you have talent (and shooters) up and down the bench so there isn't a massive drop off when the first 5 go sit. Either drop that sub pattern or increase the talent throughout the lineup. Looks like CMW has decided to go with the latter, which is fine with me.

my biggest gripe was the 2nd squad substitution pattern (especially early in the year), much like the NBA. It only works if you have talent (and shooters) up and down the bench so there isn't a massive drop off when the first 5 go sit. Either drop that sub pattern or increase the talent throughout the lineup. Looks like CMW has decided to go with the latter, which is fine with me.
Oh I think we for sure see Hockey line changes this year. Difference, like you mentioned, will be a huge talent upgrade. the second 5 would start for half the B1G IMO.

starters: TJD, Race, JG, Bates X
second 5: JHS Malik, Gallo, Kopp, Gunn/Banks

Reactions: bob-ba-lu

Maybe we should go above .500 in conference before claiming we are back. Woodson has proven to be a good recruiter.

Oh I think we for sure see Hockey line changes this year. Difference, like you mentioned, will be a huge talent upgrade. the second 5 would start for half the B1G IMO.

starters: TJD, Race, JG, Bates X
second 5: JHS Malik, Gallo, Kopp, Gunn/Banks
I hope not. There is no need to play 10 players in college basketball.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I hope not. There is no need to play 10 players in college basketball.
BS when you got the talent and the talent is close, you do. Baylor played 9 when they won it. 8 of them were almost interchangeable. I expect 7-8 being almost interchangeable this year. a few guys not as good but still get PT.

BS when you got the talent and the talent is close, you do. Baylor played 9 when they won it. 8 of them were almost interchangeable. I expect 7-8 being almost interchangeable this year. a few guys not as good but still get PT.

X, TJD, Race, bates, JG, Kopp, Malik, Gallo, and JHS I bet will be interchangeable.

7-8 I would agree with. Maybe even 9. No reason to play 10 though.

XJ/JHS
Bates/Galloway
JG/Kopp
Race/Reneau
TJD/Reneau

The biggest issue is that there shouldn’t be 5 bench players on the court at the same time. You can rotate the sub patterns so there is always at least 2 starters on the court at a time.

Reactions: Al Bino and DANC

XJ/JHS
Bates/Galloway
JG/Kopp
Race/Reneau
TJD/Reneau

The biggest issue is that there shouldn’t be 5 bench players on the court at the same time. You can rotate the sub patterns so there is always at least 2 starters on the court at a time.
With a talent drop off for sure. But we are going to be debating if Kopp and Race should come off the bench this year. They started all year for a tourney team. That is interchangeable talent. We also have some of the best athletes in the league. When you have X TJD JG JHS Scoop Malik.... You wanna play at 100% effort and pace because you can afford to give rests. God I am gonna think we are gonna win it all come August. Lord help me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to get what appears to be a great player, but isn't anyone else tired of winning the off-season? We do it every year. I hope this translates to better success on the court and realize that generally only gets done with upgrading talent, but everyone was crazy for the upgrade in talent last year with Stewart, XJ, Kopp, Durr and Bates. This addition also means any improvement in shooting has to come from the existing roster improving, so they better live in the gym this summer.

Glad to have him, but I won't make any judgement on CMW until I see a definitive improvement in W-Ls on the court and some actual tournament success. I do think CMW is instilling an IU/winning culture back in the program and that's more than AM or TC did, so I'll give him credit for that.

Last edited:
With a talent drop off for sure. But we are going to be debating if Kopp and Race should come off the bench this year. They started all year for a tourney team. That is interchangeable talent. We also have some of the best athletes in the league. When you have X TJD JG JHS Scoop Malik.... You wanna play at 100% effort and pace because you can afford to give rests. God I am gonna think we are gonna win it all come August. Lord help me.
I hope we play faster like you say. I think we are best in transition.

Reactions: Steeler31
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to get what appears to be a great player, but isn't anyone else tired of winning the off-season? We do it every year. I hope this translates to better success on the court and realize that generally only gets done with upgrading talent, but everyone was crazy for the upgrade in talent last year with Stewart, XJ, Kopp, Durr and Bates. This addition also means any improvement in shooting has to come from the existing roster improving, so they better live in the gym this summer.

Glad to have him, but I won't make any judgement on CMW until I see a definitive improvement in W-Ls on the court and some actual tournament success. I do think CMW is instilling an IU/winning culture back in the program and that's more than AM or TC did, so I'll give him credit for that.
100%

We have never had two 5 stars in the same class. So it is a different kind of winning, a top 5 class every year will 100% produce results. IU 5 stars have way underperformed in recent years, that is unlucky, play the odds my friend playyyyyyy the odds.

We played an awful non conference, had a new staff and new players. Our staff settled on a rotation that had 3 new starters (all veteran players), and didn’t deviate.

The hockey lines early were especially baffling. I understand doing it in the NBA because you have a second unit going against a second unit. Everyone does it, so it makes sense.

since we had an easy non conference we could get away with it, but the downside is that it didn’t allow much visibility into what combinations worked best together.

X and TJD are for sure at their best going 100 miles an hour. They will be our best players.
They were our best players last year too, and we were 246th in pace. When turnovers became an issue we slowed things way down.

We'll see...
Right now ...Its all on paper
I'm for him.Hope its celebrations at Nick's every game....But the product on the floor in late January is what counts...There's been teams with alot better classes than what we have fail.
Duke has double the talent coming in..

XJ/JHS
Bates/Galloway
JG/Kopp
Race/Reneau
TJD/Reneau

This is the way. Too many times this past year the 5 man rotation led to deficiencies and lost leads. Mix and match to give players a blow but show me what other college team thinks they have two sets of “starters”.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
We have never had two 5 stars in the same class. So it is a different kind of winning, a top 5 class every year will 100% produce results. IU 5 stars have way underperformed in recent years, that is unlucky, play the odds my friend playyyyyyy the odds.
Lander is only 5 star bust. TJd, yogi, Zeller all were studs as a freshman. I don’t think our roster is good enough for two 5 star top 20 players to not come in and start. I see one of them starting. I can’t see a lineup of x, bates, JG, Race, TjD. JG can’t play on the perimeter or handle the ball.

Lander is only 5 star bust. TJd, yogi, Zeller all were studs as a freshman. I don’t think our roster is good enough for two 5 star top 20 players to not come in and start. I see one of them starting. I can’t see a lineup of x, bates, JG, Race, TjD. JG can’t play on the perimeter or handle the ball.
Bates makes a big jump and can handle As good as Ivey for PU is my opinion. And while bates is not a bust, he underperformed expectations as a freshmen. 100% believe he will make up for that this year.

My point is, we don't have to "play the odds"! We can be supportive and hopeful about our team without making crazy projections before the season even starts.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I’ve never understood the complete team substitution. Doesn’t it make sense that a struggling or young player is going to play better with the first team? Get everyone experience playing with the best players.

My point is, we don't have to "play the odds"! We can be supportive and hopeful about our team without making crazy projections before the season even starts.
my predictions are nothing close to crazy. Factual. 😬

Really, we won the off-season when Archie was the coach? Because he got Romeo and Lander? In my mind we'll win the off-season this year, but it's been since Crean was coach where we've had a recruiting class that was this talented. Last season was a gamble with XJ, Kopp, Stewart, and Durr.. sure it gave us hope, but many of us realized that this group might not pan out. And by this spring we all realized that only XJ was truly valuable. I'm still scratching my head when you say that "We do it every year" by winning the off-season. Is there another IU team you're following, because my Hoosiers haven't won the off-season in a long time. So no, I'm not tired of getting two 5 star recruits and two other talented 4 star recruits and a top 5 recruiting class nationally.

It is ok to be excited about landing a 5*. Calling recruiting success "winning the off-season" is just a way to be a wet blanket or sour grapes. But, I do know that everybody is a contender in the offseason, lol. I think the portal has added to the "excitement" and is a new world. Everybody is ready to win games and get things back to where they are supposed to be, and top talent is a big part of the recipe.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I’ve never understood the complete team substitution. Doesn’t it make sense that a struggling or young player is going to play better with the first team? Get everyone experience playing with the best players.
I truly believe that was part of Bates’ struggles. He mostly only got minutes with the subs.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Really, we won the off-season when Archie was the coach? Because he got Romeo and Lander? In my mind we'll win the off-season this year, but it's been since Crean was coach where we've had a recruiting class that was this talented. Last season was a gamble with XJ, Kopp, Stewart, and Durr.. sure it gave us hope, but many of us realized that this group might not pan out. And by this spring we all realized that only XJ was truly valuable. I'm still scratching my head when you say that "We do it every year" by winning the off-season. Is there another IU team you're following, because my Hoosiers haven't won the off-season in a long time. So no, I'm not tired of getting two 5 star recruits and two other talented 4 star recruits and a top 5 recruiting class nationally.
He also go TJD. The expectations were high for the Romeo team.

Reactions: kkott
It will make more sense this next year, with better and more talented players in the 2nd group. Its still completely unnecessary in college basketball though. The games are shorter, there are less than half of them overall, there just as many TV timeouts, and even though we very well might have 10 kids that deserve minutes...there are 2-3 that are decidedly better and more experienced, that should be in the game as much as their conditioning will allow. At any point in an undecided game, we should NEVER have all of X, TJD, and Race on the bench. It was basically malpractice this past year when he did it, next year it'd be a bit more understandable, but still completely unnecessary.

I'm not sure people think about what really happened last year. Coach Woodson was hired and immediately had to try to keep current players and then go to the portal to fill out a team. It was a patchwork roster. Let's see what he does when he gets his players in. In my view we should be positive which is what you are trying to strongly imply.

I guess you take a break during the summer here, but yes, literally every year we get crazy "this is going to be the year we..," take your pick: turn the tide and sweep PU, top 4 BT finish, make the tourney and S16 or better, etc... I'm thrilled to add another good player to next year's roster, and hopeful for our team, but I won't get uber excited until we actually start winning (and having said that, I have said I think CMW's first year was a success because we did beat PU, made the tourney and won at least 1 game in the BTT... you know; actual results!).

Last edited:

Yep, after Lander, the biggest 5 star "underperformance" was Bryant putting up 12pts and 6 rebounds a game.

I think people are latching onto JG's athleticism which theoretically makes him a high ceiling player, but he has a long way to go to be anything other than an undersized 4. If JG is cracking the starting lineup next year, he'll most likely do it by beating out Thompson.

If TJD returns, I'm guessing the starters are X, JHS, Race, TJD and either Bates/Kopp depending on how much Bates develops (75% chance Bates starts over Kopp).

Yep, after Lander, the biggest 5 star "underperformance" was Bryant putting up 12pts and 6 rebounds a game.

I think people are latching onto JG's athleticism which theoretically makes him a high ceiling player, but he has a long way to go to be anything other than an undersized 4. If JG is cracking the starting lineup next year, he'll most likely do it by beating out Thompson.

If TJD returns, I'm guessing the starters are X, JHS, Race, TJD and either Bates/Kopp depending on how much Bates develops (75% chance Bates starts over Kopp).
Bates had a worse freshman year than Bryant, so we would be the second biggest underperforming 5* we have had. Yogi was also worse as a freshman than Bryant was.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Bates makes a big jump and can handle As good as Ivey for PU is my opinion. And while bates is not a bust, he underperformed expectations as a freshmen. 100% believe he will make up for that this year.
Bates is as good as Ivey? Come one now..

Reactions: VanHoosier
Bates had a worse freshman year than Bryant, so we would be the second biggest underperforming 5* we have had. Yogi was also worse as a freshman than Bryant was.
Yogi was tasked with being a non-scoring PG on a loaded team his freshman year, and on what service was Bates listed as a 5 star.

my predictions are nothing close to crazy. Fact

were either truly 5 stars? I thought both were high 4s and ranked in the 30-40s somewhere? What constitutes a 5 star anyway, is it a numeric grade? Seems like it's not # or percentage based; can't the # of 5 stars vary each year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT