ADVERTISEMENT

Old medicine

The problem is we are out of masks for healthcare workers. Those people need it more than we do. I don't know how Singapore stockpiled masks for everyone to use for months on end, but clearly we haven't. I heard a doctor this morning talk about how some in his hospital have had to work without protective gear because they are out, and they are now infected.

They stockpile lots of things here. We have an Isreal strategy for survival here. Lesson learnt from WW2 and the British capitulation to the Japanese within a couple of weeks despite being called The Last bastion of the British Empire by Churchill.

Stockpiling water:

01_B-F_MBS-HS_16_SandsSP_4x3.jpg

That lake in the middle of downtown/financial district is a reservoir for desalination plant nearby. There are several of these 'lakes' around the place. They walled up the bay and pumped water from the sea (for desalination).
Subways have double decks though hidden from the public to allow for the public to shelter and/or subway expansion some 20 yrs later.

We have hidden airforce bases here too with planes (probably the F-16s as they shift over to the F-35s) weapons (each male citizen has his own weapon, Sauers and SAR21s) all in storage.

So yes, it wouldn't surprise me that they have been stockpiling PPEs for decades.

Reactions: DrHoops
We’re struggling at our office trying to figure out how to get finished tax returns to clients. Before we can Efile we need a federal and state efile authorizations signed by the client. Insurance requires I get an engagement letter signed. Clients that want returns emailed to financial institutions and others have to sign a consent form. So many clients even educated professionals can’t follow simple instructions. They’re used to is holding their hands. We have all the documents we need signed in a separate envelope with a return envelope. They cannot follow instructions. They rip into everything and scatter all the documents with the rest of their return. Then they can’t figure out what to do. Therefore my receptionist has to show them page by page. I am trying to be responsible yet meet a deadline that hasn’t been extended.

I’ve stopped all in office appointments. Clients that bring info in are sent to a separate room to label their information and leave. My receptionist after they leave is putting the files aside for 24 hours. She’s then supposed wash her hands.

Honestly I don’t know what to do.

The feds are going to have to extend the deadline. I don't see any options.

The problem is we are out of masks for healthcare workers. Those people need it more than we do. I don't know how Singapore stockpiled masks for everyone to use for months on end, but clearly we haven't. I heard a doctor this morning talk about how some in his hospital have had to work without protective gear because they are out, and they are now infected.
Singapore was pre-hysteria. The world supply of masks was at their beck and call. No need to stockpile...

Reactions: sglowrider
I would contend that wearing a mask would provide benefit to the healthy. Why would it not? Even a non-N95 mask would provide some measure of benefit by serving to keep you from putting your own hands on your face. I understand the idea of telling the healthy not to hoard the limited masks, but don't piss down my back by claiming that a mask has no benefit for healthy people. If that's the case, why would health care workers need them?

People with a mask on end up touching their face more, not less.

The only benefit from the mask would theoretically be stopping asymptomatic carriers to not be shedding virus to others.

MELBOURNE : Australian researchers on Monday claimed to have found two drugs — an HIV and an anti-malaria medicines — to treat novel coronavirus which has claimed five lives and infected over 350 others in the country.

University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research Director David Paterson told news.com.au that the two drugs, which were used in test tubes, stopped coronavirus in its tracks and a clinical trial on humans was ready to begin.

One of the two medications is an HIV drug, and the other is an anti-malaria drug called chloroquine.

Paterson said one of the medications had been administered to some of the first few COVID-19 patients in Australia, and that they had completely recovered after all signs of the virus "disappeared". "It's a potentially effective treatment. Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of therapy," said Paterson, an infectious diseasephysician at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital
"What we want to do at the moment is a large clinical trial across Australia, looking at 50 hospitals, and what we're going to compare is one drug versus the other, versus the combination of the two drugs," the University of Queensland research director said.

"We're not on a flat foot, we can sort of move ahead very rapidly with enrolling Australians in this trial," Paterson said.

"We want to give Australians the absolute best treatment rather than just someone's guesses or someone's anecdotal experiences from a few people," Paterson said, adding they were hoping to enrol patients by the March-end.

"And that way, if we can test it in this first wave of patients — we do fully expect that there are going to be ongoing infections for months and months ahead — we'll have the best possible information to treat subsequent patients," Paterson said.

"That's really our aim, to get real world experience in Australia."Speaking on the outbreak in China, Paterson said "things were just chaotic there" and that the data available from China was not reliable as it was not collected "in a very controlled" manner.

"There were these emergency hospitals being built and the system really being very, very stretched," he said.

Paterson said while the new COVID-19 medicines had successful outcomes in some patients, it had not been tested in a controlled or a comparative manner. The drugs can be administered as oral tablets.

Paterson said they were looking to treat patients "as soon as they're admitted" to hospital in controlled settings.

He said the research was prompted after Chinese patients, who were first given the drug in Australia, showed their doctors information on the internet about the treatment used overseas.

"Our doctors were very, very surprised that a HIV drug could actually work against the novel coronavirus and there was a bit of scepticism," he said.

"That first wave of Chinese patients we had (in Australia), they all did very, very well when they were treated with the HIV drug.

"That's reassuring … that we're onto something really good here."He said the drug trials and other medical related research will commence once it would secure fundings.
The sobering reality is that LPV/r might not work. They’re redoing the trial based on earlier administration of the drugs, but this is the reality of science v hope.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2005477

Maybe the Japanese flu drug used in China and Japan could be a salve, if not a silver bullet: it's called either Favipiravir or Avigan, and appears to be effective during mild to moderate symptoms, less so when the virus has taken significant hold over the patient's health.

https://www.livescience.com/flu-drug-could-treat-coronavirus.html

I'm gonna guess that fast and early testing would be key to effective use, because you gotta get this drug into one's system prior to the symptoms getting really bad.

Maybe the Japanese flu drug used in China and Japan could be a salve, if not a silver bullet: it's called either Favipiravir or Avigan, and appears to be effective during mild to moderate symptoms, less so when the virus has taken significant hold over the patient's health.

https://www.livescience.com/flu-drug-could-treat-coronavirus.html

I'm gonna guess that fast and early testing would be key to effective use, because you gotta get this drug into one's system prior to the symptoms getting really bad.
That’s the hope for the LPV/r retests also.
If they do work based on early detection, that’s sort of good news. It mainly means they don’t work that well for that virus but instead can knock out early formed viruses.

LPV/r can knock out fully formed HIV in the body long after diagnosis and is very effective.

Cool, so YOU want to panic buy before anyone else can get their grubby little hands on it? What a patriot!

I texted my nurse practitioner late tonite and asked her for a large prescription of this drug. If it really works it will go faster than toilet paper. I want mine before the panic buying starts. Cheap, so nothing to lose. I am 61 with a few heart issues. According to reports from Italy, they’re allowing us old folks with other conditions to die first. I want some insurance.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/hydroxychloroquine-oral-route/description/drg-20064216

Singapore is awesome. I love that city.

They stockpile lots of things here. We have an Isreal strategy for survival here. Lesson learnt from WW2 and the British capitulation to the Japanese within a couple of weeks despite being called The Last bastion of the British Empire by Churchill.

Stockpiling water:

01_B-F_MBS-HS_16_SandsSP_4x3.jpg

That lake in the middle of downtown/financial district is a reservoir for desalination plant nearby. There are several of these 'lakes' around the place. They walled up the bay and pumped water from the sea (for desalination).
Subways have double decks though hidden from the public to allow for the public to shelter and/or subway expansion some 20 yrs later.

We have hidden airforce bases here too with planes (probably the F-16s as they shift over to the F-35s) weapons (each male citizen has his own weapon, Sauers and SAR21s) all in storage.

So yes, it wouldn't surprise me that they have been stockpiling PPEs for decades.

Reactions: sglowrider
Cool, so YOU want to panic buy before anyone else can get their grubby little hands on it? What a patriot!

it was meant tongue and cheek. That’s okay. I understand even in this crisis it’s all about a persons politics. Showing restraint and stopping at that. Hope you’re well.

Reactions: DrHoops
Okay. I’m sorry. I misunderstood.

I’m a bit keyed up right now with hoarders. I went to the Whole Foods right next to my building last night to get some groceries and the shelves were pretty much empty. It looked like something you see in news reports before a hurricane. Almost nothing on the shelves (that anyone would want to eat). Even all the ICE CREAM was gone.

That was the first time I became a little worried. Then you see a couple at Walgreens in line with 10 containers of antibacterial wipes. It’s disappointing to see people just say “f@ck everyone else! I’m going to get all I can!”

We’re kinda all supposed to be on the same team here.

it was meant tongue and cheek. That’s okay. I understand even in this crisis it’s all about a persons politics. Showing restraint and stopping at that. Hope you’re well.

I’m a bit keyed up right now with hoarders. I went to the Whole Foods right next to my building last night to get some groceries and the shelves were pretty much empty. It looked like something you see in news reports before a hurricane. Almost nothing on the shelves (that anyone would want to eat). Even all the ICE CREAM was gone.

That was the first time I became a little worried. Then you see a couple at Walgreens in line with 10 containers of antibacterial wipes. It’s disappointing to see people just say “f@ck everyone else! I’m going to get all I can!”

You found a store with wipes? Were unicorns and bigfoot there too?

Reactions: largemouth and 76-1
You found a store with wipes? Were unicorns and bigfoot there too?

(Dunny in Oz means the loo/toilet)

grocery stores in my neighborhood finally started limiting items you can purchase to curb that bs. They also designated 7-8 am for shoppers over 60 yrs old.

Reactions: 76-1
grocery stores in my neighborhood finally started limiting items you can purchase to curb that bs. They also designated 7-8 am for shoppers over 60 yrs old.
Local Kroger put a two package limit on toilet paper earlier this week. Wife didn't see it but was told by a Kroger manager that they had to call the police on a crazy lady who went apeshit when they wouldn't let her buy a cartload.

Local Kroger put a two package limit on toilet paper earlier this week. Wife didn't see it but was told by a Kroger manager that they had to call the police on a crazy lady who went apeshit when they wouldn't let her buy a cartload.
I would not want to work at any of those places. Not only are they at greater risk of contracting the virus they have to deal with aholes in full.

Appreciate that sir! I despise hoarders as much as you do. I was short on paper towels, toilet paper and hand sanitizer in my office. The shortage of hand sanitizer I get but the other two are crazy. This pandemic shows us what people are capable of quickly. Imagine something much worse than this pandemic. I have clients that have prepared for worse. I’ve kidded and laughed at them. Turns out the joke may be on me.

Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66
I texted my nurse practitioner late tonite and asked her for a large prescription of this drug. If it really works it will go faster than toilet paper. I want mine before the panic buying starts. Cheap, so nothing to lose. I am 61 with a few heart issues. According to reports from Italy, they’re allowing us old folks with other conditions to die first. I want some insurance.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/hydroxychloroquine-oral-route/description/drg-20064216
Critical care doctor in New York City says he's been taking Plaquenil prophylactically . So far he's fine. He said, "if there's anybody who should have been positive by now, it should have been me."

Critical care doctor in New York City says he's been taking Plaquenil prophylactically . So far he's fine. He said, "if there's anybody who should have been positive by now, it should have been me."

Yea but. VBG

This means absolutely nothing scientifically.

God it pisses me off to no end when people throw that word out. Why can’t smart people use terms like “not enough data” or “inconclusive”?

My dad’s PCP told him this was the common cold and it’s the media out to get Trump. I told him he needs a new PCP immediately. Shameless.

It's one thing when a bunch of us basketball idiots argue about this stuff....but a doctor....

Presumably he's also gowned, gloved, and masked.

Any side effects?
  • headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears;
  • nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
  • loss of appetite, weight loss;
  • mood changes, feeling nervous or irritable;
  • skin rash or itching; or.
  • hair loss.
CO is most concerned about that last bullet point . . . .

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Any side effects?
  • headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears;
  • nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
  • loss of appetite, weight loss;
  • mood changes, feeling nervous or irritable;
  • skin rash or itching; or.
  • hair loss.
CO is most concerned about that last bullet point . . . .
As with most medications-yes.
When dispensing Plaquenil we always bring the vision aspect up with the patient.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Trump has commented on a couple drugs that treat Malaria, namely hydroxychloroquine. My friend takes that drug for lupus and has taken it for years. She is suppose to take it every day but now can't get it. She's super scares that when her current pills run out, she won't be able to get her script filled.

Another side effect that people are going through.

Trump has commented on a couple drugs that treat Malaria, namely hydroxychloroquine. My friend takes that drug for lupus and has taken it for years. She is suppose to take it every day but now can't get it. She's super scares that when her current pills run out, she won't be able to get her script filled.

Another side effect that people are going through.
That’s ridiculous. I hope she can get it very soon.

Reactions: hoosboot
Discovery is showing the Mythbusters on the flu right now. Should be interesting, the spreading info should be the same.

As with most medications-yes.
When dispensing Plaquenil we always bring the vision aspect up with the patient.
Wait . . . what vision aspect? That wasn't listed . . .

. . . and who's this "we" stuff? Are you a pharmacist? Doc?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT