ADVERTISEMENT

oddly this got no press at all: $577 million dollars allocated for pandemic preparedness therapeutics research

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001

The NIH has established nine Antiviral Drug Discovery (AViDD) Centers for Pathogens of Pandemic Concern. It's not specifically for COVID-19 and there is no vaccine research, just therapeutics. The antivirals will target specific viral families with high potential to cause a pandemic in the future. These include paramyxoviruses, bunyaviruses, togaviruses, filoviruses (including Ebola viruses and Marburg virus), picornaviruses (including enteroviruses and other cold-causing viruses), and flaviviruses (including the viruses that cause yellow fever, dengue and Zika).

The objective is to find new classes of antiviral drugs with the potential to curb future epidemics before they can become widespread. So... there is a local outbreak. You send the drug there and stop it in its tracks and nobody in the general public even realizes the bullet that was dodged.

One special emphasis is to target entirely new mechanisms for intervention, some that might be broad-spectrum antivirals. For instance, targeting the viral-specific enzymes that unwind DNA or RNA hairpins to make replication possible. Each of the 9 centers is actually a consortium of dozens of professors, typically doing research in multiple large universities, research institutes, medical schools, and research hospitals. All centers have already established ties to pharmaceutical companies that will advise and progress compounds to trials.

This has, in my opinion, been the most forward-thinking expenditure that has yet emerged as a consequence of the pandemic.

The continuation of funding will be merit-based and milestone driven. Any centers not performing will be canned. Top performers will be funded beyond the initial 3 years.

The NIH has established nine Antiviral Drug Discovery (AViDD) Centers for Pathogens of Pandemic Concern. It's not specifically for COVID-19 and there is no vaccine research, just therapeutics. The antivirals will target specific viral families with high potential to cause a pandemic in the future. These include paramyxoviruses, bunyaviruses, togaviruses, filoviruses (including Ebola viruses and Marburg virus), picornaviruses (including enteroviruses and other cold-causing viruses), and flaviviruses (including the viruses that cause yellow fever, dengue and Zika).

The objective is to find new classes of antiviral drugs with the potential to curb future epidemics before they can become widespread. So... there is a local outbreak. You send the drug there and stop it in its tracks and nobody in the general public even realizes the bullet that was dodged.

One special emphasis is to target entirely new mechanisms for intervention, some that might be broad-spectrum antivirals. For instance, targeting the viral-specific enzymes that unwind DNA or RNA hairpins to make replication possible. Each of the 9 centers is actually a consortium of dozens of professors, typically doing research in multiple large universities, research institutes, medical schools, and research hospitals. All centers have already established ties to pharmaceutical companies that will advise and progress compounds to trials.

This has, in my opinion, been the most forward-thinking expenditure that has yet emerged as a consequence of the pandemic.

The continuation of funding will be merit-based and milestone driven. Any centers not performing will be canned. Top performers will be funded beyond the initial 3 years.
Probably because they already get 50 billion and stuff like this should simply be expected. And people now are skeptical of what they fund

CDC, NIH, FDA - been a rough year for agencies. They need to do some positive pr

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Probably because they already get 50 billion and stuff like this should simply be expected. And people now are skeptical of what they fund

CDC, NIH, FDA - been a rough year for agencies. They need to do some positive pr
Systemic governmental failure. When we have a chief executive who can’t string two thoughts together saying he will follow the science, we have people who should be government scientests making policy. The CDC should advise others about mandates, not make the decision. I heard Fauci say recently that considerations like individual rights or economic consequences should not overrule science—as determined by him. That’s nuts. I expect government officials to make decisions based on a host of factors, not just expert opinion in a narrow discipline.

Systemic governmental failure. When we have a chief executive who can’t string two thoughts together saying he will follow the science, we have people who should be government scientests making policy. The CDC should advise others about mandates, not make the decision. I heard Fauci say recently that considerations like individual rights or economic consequences should not overrule science—as determined by him. That’s nuts. I expect government officials to make decisions based on a host of factors, not just expert opinion in a narrow discipline.
This admin is an abject failure. And my stupid Fing dog bit me last night because the baby had her yak and I intervened. Well now I don't feel good today and might have monkeypox. I have a weird bump on my arm

• Haha
Reactions: Indianaftw and DANC
This admin is an abject failure. And my stupid Fing dog bit me last night because the baby had her yak and I intervened. Well now I don't feel good today and might have monkeypox. I have a weird bump on my arm
Seriously?

The question needs to be asked how did monkey pox, a disease previously confined to equatorial Africa make its way to the United States? And it seems to be mutating besides. If monkey pox entered through the uncontrolled and massive illegal migration from the third world through our Southern border, would we be told? Biden, Harris, and Mayorkas welcomed and resettled Illegals from over 150 different countries throughout the United Stares.

Seriously?

The question needs to be asked how did monkey pox, a disease previously confined to equatorial Africa make its way to the United States? And it seems to be mutating besides. If monkey pox entered through the uncontrolled and massive illegal migration from the third world through our Southern border, would we be told? Biden, Harris, and Mayorkas welcomed and resettled Illegals from over 150 different countries throughout the United Stares.
All true. Tho I doubt i have monkeypox. I'm sure it's a mosquito bite. But who knows we've been watching Something Bit Me on Disney. My arm might fall off by the weekend

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13
Seriously?
If monkey pox entered through the uncontrolled and massive illegal migration from the third world through our Southern border...
The infected person in Massachusetts contracted it during a visit to Canada, so it's highly unlikely it has anything to do with your southern border bogeyman.

Person-to-person transmission of monkeypox isn't common at all. Of course it could theoretically mutate and become airborne. And its name is a misnomer. The carriers are various rodents.

Has there ever been an outbreak in the U.S.? Yes. But it was quickly contained.

In 2003, monkeypox hitched a ride with a shipment of animals from Ghana to Illinois. Several giant pouched rats and squirrels tested positive for the virus and eventually spread it to prairie dogs being sold as pets in multiple Midwestern states, the CDC says on its website.

Forty-seven people caught the disease from the prairie dogs. Everyone recovered. And no one spread the disease to another person.

Last edited:
Apparently ticks in northern latitudes are way more prevalent this year and in recent years than in the past, purportedly due to climate change. Lyme disease is a big concern.

Last edited:
This didn't get any press either.

Why??? Do people really believe all this is going for good and not going through the wash?

We have videos of Ukranian military taking out Russian targets with US weaponry, so some of it has been getting where it needs to go. I'd rather send them weapons than cash, for sure, since cash can get skimmed. But realistically soldiers need to get fed and need to get paid, so only dollars really get that done.

Reactions: DANC
We have videos of Ukranian military taking out Russian targets with US weaponry, so some of it has been getting where it needs to go. I'd rather send them weapons than cash, for sure, since cash can get skimmed. But realistically soldiers need to get fed and need to get paid, so only dollars really get that done.
Right and I fully agree weapons and arms. WTF though. Lets toss in another 100 mil on top of 40 bil. That is odd as f*ck

What is Biden doing about the Monkey Pox pandemic?

The infected person in Massachusetts contracted it during a visit to Canada, so it's highly unlikely it has anything to do with your southern border bogeyman.

Person-to-person transmission of monkeypox isn't common at all. Of course it could theoretically mutate and become airborne. And its name is a misnomer. The carriers are various rodents.

Has there ever been an outbreak in the U.S.? Yes. But it was quickly contained.

In 2003, monkeypox hitched a ride with a shipment of animals from Ghana to Illinois. Several giant pouched rats and squirrels tested positive for the virus and eventually spread it to prairie dogs being sold as pets in multiple Midwestern states, the CDC says on its website.

Forty-seven people caught the disease from the prairie dogs. Everyone recovered. And no one spread the disease to another person.

OK, so you're on record as saying Monkey Pox is no big deal.

Noted.

You watch it on your hikes. Mountain lions feature prominently on this show
years ago, I came face to face with a mountain lion. I was by myself hiking to a fishing spot on the North Platte River, about a mile from my vehicle, and there it was. About 30 feet in front of me. We made eye contact and I froze. After a bit, the lion skedaddled down towards the river and I did the same the opposite direction.

After that, I read up about them. One book I recall reading is The Beast in the Garden. Interesting stuff out there in nature.

• Wow
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
years ago, I came face to face with a mountain lion. I was by myself hiking to a fishing spot on the North Platte River, about a mile from my vehicle, and there it was. About 30 feet in front of me. We made eye contact and I froze. After a bit, the lion skedaddled down towards the river and I did the same the opposite direction.

After that, I read up about them. One book I recall reading is The Beast in the Garden. Interesting stuff out there in nature.

Wow! I cannot imagine. The one story on the show was interesting. This runner had the same experience as you. LIon was about 30 feet away. Instead of running away it came at home. He covered his face and struggled with it for 20 or so minutes before he was able to kill it. After he killed it he noticed that it's proportions were off. It was just a juvenile lion. Well the runner was covered in blood and now spooked that mom might still be out there. scary stuff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT