ADVERTISEMENT

OC news today possibly?

Why hasn't Denbrook's name come up from Cinci? He has a pretty solid resume.
Not sure. Denbrock is not a particularly sexy choice, but I have met him and followed him for a long time. He's a great guy. Very personable and a great recruiter. He likes to run the ball more than Brian Kelly which is a plus. Has improved Cincinnatti.

Man i'm starting to wonder why this is taking so long. Maybe we will end up with an OC from the Canadian football league? Think outside the box!
i'm in favor of the bigger end zone and wider field. would do a lot to reduce field goals and increase touchdowns. american football should adopt these improvements

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Okay. Let's move on. That makes sense. I think he has turned too run oriented in his scheme as well. We have a head coach. That video of Arkansas State's offense did look like DeBords. Not saying he is the choice. With Penix and Tuttle, we need a coach that wants to stretch the field not run.

Canada turned IU down, according to this Pittsburgh website:

This same source told PSN that Canada has turned down an opportunity to become the offensive coordinator at his alma mater, Indiana. Apparently, Canada wasn’t comfortable with not having a big say in who his other offensive assistants would be and said no.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/01/10/pat-narduzzi-matt-canada-have-discussed-pitt-return/

Reactions: vesuvius13
Canada turned IU down, according to this Pittsburgh website:

This same source told PSN that Canada has turned down an opportunity to become the offensive coordinator at his alma mater, Indiana. Apparently, Canada wasn’t comfortable with not having a big say in who his other offensive assistants would be and said no.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/01/10/pat-narduzzi-matt-canada-have-discussed-pitt-return/
I don't blame Canada - an OC should have complete control of the Offense. That's why a HC hires an OC. If true, it sounds like Allen wants to retain the position coaches currently in place.

I'm sure Allen is loyal to his assistants, but that's also what got Mallory fired.

Just an observation.

I don't blame Canada - an OC should have complete control of the Offense. That's why a HC hires an OC. If true, it sounds like Allen wants to retain the position coaches currently in place.

I'm sure Allen is loyal to his assistants, but that's also what got Mallory fired.

Just an observation.

I understand the perspective, but also doubt that few if any coordinators have complete control of personnel. Allen needs to assistants to fit the culture is he is trying to create, and the buck ultimately stops with him. HCs also probably need heavy control over coaches because it insulates them from excessive staff turnover, which is bad for the team.If Canada left in a year or 2, he could leave behind a few of his guys that don't fit with Allen or Canada takes them with him.

To me, it feels like an attempted power play by Canada so he could promote himself as a potential HC

To me, it feels like an attempted power play by Canada so he could promote himself as a potential HC

Exactly he is somewhat arrogant due to his interim tag. Kinda like an NFL head coach telling the owner he wants control of the draft OR he wants gm duties. Yea right :rolleyes:

I would bet FOR SURE Allen wants to keep Hart and Heard, and not sure about QB/OL coaches. On one hand, I'd get an OC wanting to have some say in perhaps bringing in 1 assistant or being able to replace someone not fitting with? Ex: think an OC may want to have his own OL choice since that's what ultimately drives the ship. Who knows, all speculation, but for some reason (not sure why) I've not been totally pumped up about Canada. Still feel like (or wanting to believe) we can get a real up and comer - like theoretically Womack is - as OC who has a good innovative approach.

But someone too young and remaining staff may want to leave for being passed over? Fine line, will let Coach Allen figure that one out. But staying positive good things still to come!

Also...Michigan hires new OC from Alabama, which would that mean outgoing OC at UM now? I believe Pep Hamilton was a $1M a year coach there, could he be out? He might have the gravitas given his past Stanford, Colts, and UM credentials. Plus, a high profile African American coach which would be cool for IU.

Nothing but more parlor game guessing. This is almost like xmas day. Can't wait to open the presents for new coaches, but just hope we don't feel there is any "re-gifting" going on!

I understand the perspective, but also doubt that few if any coordinators have complete control of personnel. Allen needs to assistants to fit the culture is he is trying to create, and the buck ultimately stops with him. HCs also probably need heavy control over coaches because it insulates them from excessive staff turnover, which is bad for the team.If Canada left in a year or 2, he could leave behind a few of his guys that don't fit with Allen or Canada takes them with him.

Far more likely is that Canada advanced a thought about bringing another coach / coaches with him, which isn’t unusual, was rebuffed, and told no other offensive coaching positions would be changed. Faced with the reality that he would have no input as to the offensive staff, he passed. Nothing would suggest that the groundwork for a palace coup was being laid.

Last edited:
Far more likely is that Canada advanced a thought about being another coach / coaches with him, which isn’t unusual, was rebuffed, and told no other offensive coaching positions would be changed. Faced with the reality that he would have no input as to the offensive staff, he passed. Nothing would suggest that the groundwork for a palace coup was being laid.

Usually though, coordinators bring guys along when there are other openings, due to being fired by the HC or taking other jobs. Its pretty unusual for coordinators to have assistants let go so they can bring in their guys. And if he was talking staffing changes before meeting with the staff, that's a pretty big red flag.

I wasn't suggesting that Canada was angling for Allen's job, just that he may have been looking to build a staff he could take with him to a head coaching job in a year or 2.

Last edited:

Just an observation.
I completely agree!

If CTA wants to give the OC reigns as the "Head Coach of the Offense" , he's got to be able to bring in his own guys to run his system. I dont blame Canada one bit for passing.

Question for the board : What are the chances that CTA's requirement that position coaches remain will cause other candidates to decline our OC position?

Reactions: fpeaugh and DANC
I completely agree!

If CTA wants to give the OC reigns as the "Head Coach of the Offense" , he's got to be able to bring in his own guys to run his system. I dont blame Canada one bit for passing.

Question for the board : What are the chances that CTA's requirement that position coaches remain will cause other candidates to decline our OC position?
No new OC gets that kind of power. Allen has put together a staff where all the coaches are on the same page with the same goal .. the new OC will have to fit-in not start his own clique.

I completely agree!

Tell me something, who did Tom Allen “bring in” when he was hired to run the defense ?

Tell me something, who did Tom Allen “bring in” when he was hired to run the defense ?
What schools was IU competing with for his services as DC?

It was a big opportunity for Allen. Canada is being pursued by multiple schools and opportunitites. So, he can afford to be picky.

He's not coming, so it's all academic anyway.

Reactions: fpeaugh
No new OC gets that kind of power. Allen has put together a staff where all the coaches are on the same page with the same goal .. the new OC will have to fit-in not start his own clique.
Ding Ding Ding Yessir not sure where folks are thinking the OC has that kind of clout!

Also...Michigan hires new OC from Alabama, which would that mean outgoing OC at UM now? I believe Pep Hamilton was a $1M a year coach there, could he be out? He might have the gravitas given his past Stanford, Colts, and UM credentials. Plus, a high profile African American coach which would be cool for IU.

Nothing but more parlor game guessing. This is almost like xmas day. Can't wait to open the presents for new coaches, but just hope we don't feel there is any "re-gifting" going on!

100% no on Pepper. His "body blows" comment in the bowl game blowout vs Florida shows how out of touch he is with modern college football.

Reactions: studed
No OC that I know of that has just moved to an FBS school in the past few weeks gets the right to select his entire staff unless those openings are there. It’s not happening at any other school right now. That would be completely unprecedented unless a head coach was going to clean house regardless.

No OC that I know of that has just moved to an FBS school in the past few weeks gets the right to select his entire staff unless those openings are there. It’s not happening at any other school right now. That would be completely unprecedented unless a head coach was going to clean house regardless.

That's fine. You're all right, most OC's don't have that power.

However...

Not all OC's are "head coach of the offense". That term, CTA's term for this position, implies one with more control over the offense than just merely a play caller. Otherwise, why use that description, if not directly the job title?

Here's the quote:

"... l want a guy I can hire as the ‘head coach of the offense.’ That’s how I’m going to present it to him. That’s how I’ve presented it to the individuals I’ve spoken with." - CTA

That statement goes against the thought that the incoming OC has to 'fit in' per EZRider. CTA is implying the new OC has absolute authority over the offense than a normal OC. How can you give that job description, but in reality not the actual power?

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13

Just an observation.
No he shouldn't have complete control of the offense and coach Allen kept all the defensive coaches when he got to IU.

Reactions: 76-1
What schools was IU competing with for his services as DC?

It was a big opportunity for Allen. Canada is being pursued by multiple schools and opportunitites. So, he can afford to be picky.

He's not coming, so it's all academic anyway.
OC’s don’t get to pick their staff, Canada would be coming to take part in a culture, not create one. If he wants that then go get a head job, doesn’t seem his door is being beaten down with those opportunities.
Good luck to him finding a HC that is willing to fire existing staff members to let Canada run the show, he ain’t that great.

OC’s don’t get to pick their staff, Canada would be coming to take part in a culture, not create one. If he wants that then go get a head job, doesn’t seem his door is being beaten down with those opportunities.
Good luck to him finding a HC that is willing to fire existing staff members to let Canada run the show, he ain’t that great.
Really? How many coaching staffs have you had a hand in putting together?

Really? How many coaching staffs have you had a hand in putting together?
You’re welcome to point out all the OC’s that were allowed to fire staff members and bring in their own guys. Now if positions already existed I would expect a new OC to have input, but fire guys the HC is happy with ? Not happening.

No he shouldn't have complete control of the offense and coach Allen kept all the defensive coaches when he got to IU.
How many other schools were after Allen to be DC?

Canada is experienced and a proven commodity. If he's going to be 'head coach of the Offense', as Allen says, then he needs to be able to pick his own staff. With Allen's approval, of course - I'm not saying he shouldn't be part of the process.

But this is all conjecture anyway. None of us knows why, or even if, he turned down the job. What if he said he liked all the staff except the QB coach, for instance. What if the QB coach's philosophy is 180 degrees different from the OC? Wouldn't that create more problems?

You’re welcome to point out all the OC’s that were allowed to fire staff members and bring in their own guys. Now if positions already existed I would expect a new OC to have input, but fire guys the HC is happy with ? Not happening.
You're the one making the claim it doesn't happen. If it's such a known thing, you should be able to come up with examples easily.

You're the one making the claim it doesn't happen. If it's such a known thing, you should be able to come up with examples easily.
Have you been drinking ? I don’t know of any, kind of my point, which is why I asked for examples, good lord.

Have you been drinking ? I don’t know of any, kind of my point, which is why I asked for examples, good lord.
You make definitive statements that you can't back up. You don't know all the situations.

If it's like every other hire, it depends on the person and the circumstances. You act like you know what is going on, but you don't - you're just a fan like everyone else.

If the coach wants a person badly enough, he can be flexible. But it's not as cut and dried as you make it out to be.

The horse is dead. Get off it.

How many other schools were after Allen to be DC?
There were obvious sharks swimming in the water or else Fred would not have pulled the trigger. CTA came in year 1 and killed it. Without him we would not have even sniffed a bowl! Same thing happened this year with Balou and Rhea therefore the huge increase in pay.

You make definitive statements that you can't back up. You don't know all the situations.

If it's like every other hire, it depends on the person and the circumstances. You act like you know what is going on, but you don't - you're just a fan like everyone else.

If the coach wants a person badly enough, he can be flexible. But it's not as cut and dried as you make it out to be.

The horse is dead. Get off it.
You should take your own advice, and where exactly did I “act like I know what is going on ?” I merely stated that HC’s don’t fire staff members they are happy with to get another coach to come on board, at least I’m unaware of any instances . I invited you to point out examples that you were aware of and you went off the deep end. I suppose if “a coach wants a person badly enough”, it could happen, just never heard of it . Apparently CTA doesn’t want Canada that badly, which is fine.

There were obvious sharks swimming in the water or else Fred would not have pulled the trigger. CTA came in year 1 and killed it. Without him we would not have even sniffed a bowl! Same thing happened this year with Balou and Rhea therefore the huge increase in pay.
No one is arguing his success once he got here. But he was an unknown and not highly sought after as a DC at that point.

BTW, we did go to a bowl the year before Allen got here. So, we did 'sniff' a bowl then.

Reactions: Chriselli
No one is arguing his success once he got here. But he was an unknown and not highly sought after as a DC at that point.

BTW, we did go to a bowl the year before Allen got here. So, we did 'sniff' a bowl then.
I know and not trying to start a fight but especially this year its more evident than ever. You have a solid year as a DC or OC and people are sniffing around and coming after you. I swear I've been following Football scoop for years and I've NEVER seen a year like this where people are getting jobs only 3 weeks later to leave them for something else. Its like a damn feeding frenzy!

Josh Henson from Oklahoma St seems interesting. He was an OC, OL Coach, & TE Coach at the same time while at Missouri back when they were really rolling. His most extensive experience seems to be as an OL coach and as a lead recruiter. The OL seems to have slipped a bit in the past couple years. Maybe he could help on several fronts. The OL recruiting could use a boost.

I like him but from the sound of things it appears OkSt wants to keep him...

Should be interesting to see how this pans out...

TA seems nothing if not analytical and through, so I'm still optimistic things will work out for the best...

Would have Really liked to have heard something definitive by today but..., I've got my timeline and he's got his, and his is the one that matters...;):D

Sounds like we missed getting a good fit w/ Canada. I don't blame him for wanting some say in the coaches, especially if he is deemed the "head coach of the offense". When underlings report to you, it is always critical that you know you have their loyalty. My guess is Canada did not know those offensive coaches enough.

My guess is that Canada ends up at Georgia. Pure guess. (If he ends up at a stud football school, what say you to those of you who said Canada was not of IU's caliber?)

Sounds like we missed getting a good fit w/ Canada. I don't blame him for wanting some say in the coaches, especially if he is deemed the "head coach of the offense". When underlings report to you, it is always critical that you know you have their loyalty. My guess is Canada did not know those offensive coaches enough.

My guess is that Canada ends up at Georgia. Pure guess. (If he ends up at a stud football school, what say you to those of you who said Canada was not of IU's caliber?)
Have not seen his name mentioned at UGA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT