ADVERTISEMENT

OC news today possibly?

I would assume the search would be wrapping up,if not today maybe the next day or two.
As 76-1 noted in another thread, we are one of many teams in the hunt for a new OC. I'm hoping for a splashy hire, but that may not be in the cards given the competition. In any event, I have little doubt that this will be the most important decision, to date, in CTA's tenure and will have huge implications for the direction of IU football over the next several seasons. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we get this right.

As 76-1 noted in another thread, we are one of many teams in the hunt for a new OC. I'm hoping for a splashy hire, but that may not be in the cards given the competition. In any event, I have little doubt that this will be the most important decision, to date, in CTA's tenure and will have huge implications for the direction of IU football over the next several seasons. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we get this right.

Yep, there's something like 12 or 13 other teams out there that appear to be able to surpass whatever we may choose to offer monetarily... Makes things tough.

Yep, there's something like 12 or 13 other teams out there that appear to be able to surpass whatever we may choose to offer monetarily... Makes things tough.

Also, there are still HC dominoes to fall (Temple/Troy). Not saying that IU is looking potential HC candidates for the OC position, but if an OC takes one of those positions, then its just one more team looking for an OC. Plus, among the open positions, there will likely 1 or 2 that are filled by a somewhat surprising lateral move, leaving an unexpected vacancy. Guessing that there are several OC candidates out there waiting for the dust to settle a little more to see which jobs are still open.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Also, there are still HC dominoes to fall (Temple/Troy). Not saying that IU is looking potential HC candidates for the OC position, but if an OC takes one of those positions, then its just one more team looking for an OC. Plus, among the open positions, there will likely 1 or 2 that are filled by a somewhat surprising lateral move, leaving an unexpected vacancy. Guessing that there are several OC candidates out there waiting for the dust to settle a little more to see which jobs are still open.

It's a sellers market for OC&HC types out there...

In the report the other day CTA said they have already been very aggressive so I wonder who all the options have been?

Canada is probably the safest bet if you want three things: somebody who had coordinated big time college football, a running game, and not having a bad offense. He's had some average offenses, but never a terrible one. Most of the other guys who are being mentioned have had some mulligans.

Reactions: DANC
Am I the only one thinking that Harbaugh might be taking a NFL job? Gregg Mattison and Al Washington have left the staff in back to back days for OSU. That would leave a top 5 job open with several positions to fill. It just seems odd.

Am I the only one thinking that Harbaugh might be taking a NFL job? Gregg Mattison and Al Washington have left the staff in back to back days for OSU. That would leave a top 5 job open with several positions to fill. It just seems odd.

Maybe they're just sick of losing to o$u and tired of working for Harbaugh. Could it be an indication that they think he's the problem...?

Or..., maybe they're just tired of Ann Arbor...?

///Trading one crazed, obnoxiously arrogant fan base for another...///

Your conjecture makes the most sense though...

Maybe they're just sick of losing to o$u and tired of working for Harbaugh. Could it be an indication that they think he's the problem...?

Or..., maybe they're just tired of Ann Arbor...?

///Trading one crazed, obnoxiously arrogant fan base for another...///

Your conjecture makes the most sense though...
I spoke to someone in the athletic department this past weekend who thought he might be looking in that direction.

The more this Canada thing sits the more sour it turns. If we offered him a position and he hasn't taken the job because he is waiting for NIU OR the NFL to call time to dump! Not sure of the situation and just reading what was posted on the scoop so jus sayin!

Reactions: iulb
The more this Canada thing sits the more sour it turns. If we offered him a position and he hasn't taken the job because he is waiting for NIU OR the NFL to call time to dump! Not sure of the situation and just reading what was posted on the scoop so jus sayin!

I don't have any problem with it.

Only a fool wouldn't wait to see if a head coaching job that he wants comes open prior to committing to another job...

Would you rather have him say yes and then leave for a head coaching position two weeks later?

This will play out time-wise the way it must...

I don't have any problem with it.

Only a fool wouldn't wait to see if a head coaching job that he wants comes open prior to committing to another job...

Would you rather have him say yes and then leave for a head coaching position two weeks later?

This will play out time-wise the way it must...
Well jmho but what it says to me is this is not what he wants. Its like you go to a job interview, and its a great position and they offer you the job, BUT you want to see if company a or b show up??? Its kinda like a f*ck you in a way. If the desire is there and the moneys right then wtf?

The Kliff Kingsbury situation happened but that was an odd one. He will fail miserably in Arizona. If not I will stand here and eat crow but that is a f*cking weird hire. Cmon man!

Anyways, I have no clue what has gone down but if he was offered and we are waiting on his a$$...Move on!

Look at the Colts..They offered dipwad in New England and he f*cked them around Thank God!!! They end up with a guy who wants to be here and look what he did in a year!

Get someone here that when you offer them they are thrilled and jump at the chance! jus sayin!

Well jmho but what it says to me is this is not what he wants. Its like you go to a job interview, and its a great position and they offer you the job, BUT you want to see if company a or b show up??? Its kinda like a f*ck you in a way. If the desire is there and the moneys right then wtf?

The Kliff Kingsbury situation happened but that was an odd one. He will fail miserably in Arizona. If not I will stand here and eat crow but that is a f*cking weird hire. Cmon man!

Anyways, I have no clue what has gone down but if he was offered and we are waiting on his a$$...Move on!

Look at the Colts..They offered dipwad in New England and he f*cked them around Thank God!!! They end up with a guy who wants to be here and look what he did in a year!

Get someone here that when you offer them they are thrilled and jump at the chance! jus sayin!

You have a seriously inflated view of where we are in the pecking order of college football at the moment...

You have a seriously inflated view of where we are in the pecking order of college football at the moment...
We are a team with a rising OL, a slew of solid running backs, experienced receivers and now a 2 year starter at QB with 2 4 star QB's in the wings...WTF is not to like?

Ohh and Edit...Newly finished facilities and another large facilities project underway.

Mel Tucker was just hired at Colorado and his first rule in hiring coaches was I want t hire guys that want to be here!

If there is a second thought you can bet your bottom dollar we won't get a full effort. Someone will just be here biding their time, screwing everyone over until something else comes along!

Last edited:
We are a team with a rising OL, a slew of solid running backs, experienced receivers and now a 2 year starter at QB with 2 4 star QB's in the wings...WTF is not to like?

Ohh and Edit...Newly finished facilities and another large facilities project underway.

Mel Tucker was just hired at Colorado and his first rule in hiring coaches was I want t hire guys that want to be here!

If there is a second thought you can bet your bottom dollar we won't get a full effort. Someone will just be here biding their time, screwing everyone over until something else comes along!

The reality is that if we have the type of success we all dream of the chances are good the most of the staff will be hired away elsewhere. That's just the nature of college football these days. I like the fact that he's evidently being honest in his approach.

Forgot to add, ( and keep in mind I'm about as hard core an INDIANA Football fan as you'll probably ever run across), the way you and I see INDIANA (for what it can be), isn't what the rest of the football universe sees.

Trust me when I tell you that we're no ones "destination" job (outside of or own Tom Allen). Hurts me to type it but that's the truth...

Last edited:

I don’t see IU as Top 10 level job, but for an aggressive coach on the rise, it would be a GREAT opportunity to move up and own beating the big boys. So I get and agree with logic if they are gemming & hawing too much, next man up. I want someone pumped up to be here!

Womack likely didn’t have big DC options yet, but he is pumped up for the opportunity, loves Coach Allen and is geeked to show what he can do in B10E!

Why not an OC who feels equally as fired up?

The reality is that if we have the type of success we all dream of the chances are good the most of the staff will be hired away elsewhere. That's just the nature of college football these days. I like the fact that he's evidently being honest in his approach.

Forgot to add, ( and keep in mind I'm about as hard core an INDIANA Football fan as you'll probably ever run across), the way you and I see INDIANA (for what it can be), isn't what the rest of the football universe sees.

Trust me when I tell you that we're no ones "destination" job (outside of or own Tom Allen). Hurts me to type it but that's the truth...
I fully understand that BUT Canada is out of a job...I'm sure its not his destination job BUT there are other candidates who would love an opportunity to coach at IU and play against the type of competition we play against. Thats the point I'm trying to make. For instance, our boy Werner is just a QB coach right now. He would probably love an oppty. to be an OC again at this level. Thats all I'm saying.

Maybe Canada is like, been there, done that, OR he is a little cocky because he was an interim head coach. However, the way Maryland has been recruiting he should have won 7 or 8 games! Regardless if CTA went in there, offered him the job, and he has to think about? Move On!

Canada is viewed as an upper tier coordinator and those guys are getting paid a lot more than Indiana. He's also a guy that is being looked at for head jobs, and the pay is pretty high there. So as much as he may like Indiana, it's like a temporary job him if he takes it. The spot he wants is head coach at Indiana (or somewhere comparable).

Reactions: DANC
I'm sure Canada likes Indiana but you cant blame him for weighing his options. He has to make the best decision he can. We arent a place people are dying to come to. It's a good opportunity for someone. But not for everyone.

Reactions: CC Mac
I'm sure Canada likes Indiana but you cant blame him for weighing his options. He has to make the best decision he can. We arent a place people are dying to come to. It's a good opportunity for someone. But not for everyone.
The main advantage I see in him coming here is he would have his foot in the door for the HC job if Allen has a couple more sub .500 seasons.

Reactions: DANC and bang63
I think it is a double edged sword, hire someone with experience but have to wait his decision out or hire someone who we can get now that doesn't have the pedigree.

Reactions: Chriselli
I fully understand that BUT Canada is out of a job...I'm sure its not his destination job BUT there are other candidates who would love an opportunity to coach at IU and play against the type of competition we play against. Thats the point I'm trying to make. For instance, our boy Werner is just a QB coach right now. He would probably love an oppty. to be an OC again at this level. Thats all I'm saying.

Maybe Canada is like, been there, done that, OR he is a little cocky because he was an interim head coach. However, the way Maryland has been recruiting he should have won 7 or 8 games! Regardless if CTA went in there, offered him the job, and he has to think about? Move On!
If a guy's looking for a job (in coaching or anything else), he's a fool if he doesn't carefully consider all his options before making a decision. In a job search, it's all about doing what's best for you and your family. Everything else is secondary.

Weighing one's options before accepting a position doesn't mean the ultimate employer won't get the guy's full effort when he comes onboard. And, with respect to "loyalty," all of these assistant and coordinator positions have become little more than "temp" jobs anyway. Nobody stays in one place very long anymore.

Finally, this all may very well be much ado about nothing. We don't even know if Canada's been offered.

Finally, this all may very well be much ado about nothing. We don't even know if Canada's been offered.

Yea I'm just going off the article that said (under consideration) prolly squawking for nothing. Anyways word has it that we went after the Okla state OC too?

There was an article about Mike Gundy and his last selection for OC. http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...oys-mike-gundy-offensive-coordinator-internet

Very interesting the way he went about his search. But, it got him a guy that stuck it out for a few years rather than a revolving door. AND Yurich was making 50,000 when Gundy hired him. :)

Now he just grabbed Eastern Washington's OC Bodie Reeder to replace Mike Yurich.

Reactions: Bowlmania
So lets assume Canada is off the board who is left to consider? Whats everyone think about Brian Wright from Toledo. He is rumored to be in the mix? Graham Harrell would not leave North Texas for Mack Brown and North Carolina. If there was any smoke on Werner I'm sure we would have heard something by now. Anyone heard of other candidates?

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
ADVERTISEMENT