ADVERTISEMENT

OC news today possibly?

There was initially some speculation on here that DeBord's retirement and potential replacement was all planned out......that certainly doesn't appear to be the case.

Disappointing if the retirement wasn't planned for him.

Yea I'm just going off the article that said (under consideration) prolly squawking for nothing. Anyways word has it that we went after the Okla state OC too?

There was an article about Mike Gundy and his last selection for OC. http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...oys-mike-gundy-offensive-coordinator-internet

Very interesting the way he went about his search. But, it got him a guy that stuck it out for a few years rather than a revolving door. AND Yurich was making 50,000 when Gundy hired him. :)

Now he just grabbed Eastern Washington's OC Bodie Reeder to replace Mike Yurich.
I’m pretty sure if Canada doesn’t except then IU is going to offer the job to the guy at Oklahoma State from what I’ve heard. But Canada is option number 1 and IU is waiting on him to decide.

I’m pretty sure if Canada doesn’t except then IU is going to offer the job to the guy at Oklahoma State from what I’ve heard. But Canada is option number 1 and IU is waiting on him to decide.
The guy at Oklahoma State was hire by Ohio State

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm sure its not his destination job BUT there are other candidates who would love an opportunity to coach at IU and play against the type of competition we play against. Thats the point I'm trying to make. For instance, our boy Werner is just a QB coach right now. He would probably love an oppty. to be an OC again at this level.
Is it even possible for a decent coordinator to view a job as an assistant at Indiana as a "destination job"?

Don't get me wrong, just like with Hep and hopefully Allen, I'd love for IU to land an OC who is happy to make his career here in that position, with perhaps an opportunity at the HC position when that opens up far down the road. I'm just trying to imagine if anyone we'd like to have is going to be willing to do that. Sounds like a unicorn to me.

No matter how much I hate to see it, good programs headed by good coaches are going to naturally see turnover at the OC and DC and other assistant positions. As long as it's not a result of firings or lateral moves, that's a good sign. I'd like for us to get to the point where there's regularly an assistant who is moving on to bigger and better things. How the program responds will show us where we are long term.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Is it even possible for a decent coordinator to view a job as an assistant at Indiana as a "destination job"?

Don't get me wrong, just like with Hep and hopefully Allen, I'd love for IU to land an OC who is happy to make his career here in that position, with perhaps an opportunity at the HC position when that opens up far down the road. I'm just trying to imagine if anyone we'd like to have is going to be willing to do that. Sounds like a unicorn to me.

No matter how much I hate to see it, good programs headed by good coaches are going to naturally see turnover at the OC and DC and other assistant positions. As long as it's not a result of firings or lateral moves, that's a good sign. I'd like for us to get to the point where there's regularly an assistant who is moving on to bigger and better things. How the program responds will show us where we are long term.

For one, coordinator positions even at high profile programs are rarely destination jobs, most coordinators that are successful enough to keep a job for a long time are probably going to take a HC position at some point.

I think the key anywhere is hire guys that don't have a foot out the door even before they step on campus

He is a QB coach only at Ohio State. Maybe he wants to be an OC and call plays.

He was OC at Okie St and left. So he’s going to leave Ohio St? Btw... He’s getting $950,000. Would we go a million? He also turned down the Tennessee OC job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tegray1
There was initially some speculation on here that DeBord's retirement and potential replacement was all planned out......that certainly doesn't appear to be the case.

Do you think that the retirement wasn't planned because no one has been hired yet? If that is the case, maybe the retirement was planned but TA didn't have a specific OC in mind but wanted to see who was available for the position.

Yep, there's something like 12 or 13 other teams out there that appear to be able to surpass whatever we may choose to offer monetarily... Makes things tough.
This is no different than every other year. Coordinators move like crazy.

He was OC at Okie St and left. So he’s going to leave Ohio St? Btw... He’s getting $950,000. Would we go a million? He also turned down the Tennessee OC job.
Two different people, Ohio State hired Mike Yurcich who was the OC at Oklahoma St, we are considering Josh Henson who is the OL coach at Oklahoma St. Henson has previous OC experience at Mizzou from 2013-2015, OL coach at Mizzou 2009-2012, also coached at LSU and Ok. St. before that

Two different people, Ohio State hired Mike Yurcich who was the OC at Oklahoma St, we are considering Josh Henson who is the OL coach at Oklahoma St. Henson has previous OC experience at Mizzou from 2013-2015, OL coach at Mizzou 2009-2012, also coached at LSU and Ok. St. before that
Thank you for clearing that up...

Kerwin Bell was a great hire at USF today as OC. Buster Faulkner has a pretty damn good resume and might be a front runner considering he's on the market now. He seems like a pretty good fit to me at least career level wise. I have to think Canada if a front runner at Northern Illinois if that job pops. Have not heard much about Brian Wright. Surprised Lebby has not gotten picked up by somebody, and the guy from Fresno is still at Frenso which is also surprising.

That is Gundy’s new mo is to go find an oc from lower level school and bring him to OSU hoping to get 3 or 4 years before someone comes to steal him. He did several google searches and Yurcich name and Edinboro kept popping up.

Kerwin Bell was a great hire at USF today as OC. Buster Faulkner has a pretty damn good resume and might be a front runner considering he's on the market now. He seems like a pretty good fit to me at least career level wise. I have to think Canada if a front runner at Northern Illinois if that job pops. Have not heard much about Brian Wright. Surprised Lebby has not gotten picked up by somebody, and the guy from Fresno is still at Frenso which is also surprising.
DeBoer might be in running for South Dakota head job.

That is Gundy’s new mo is to go find an oc from lower level school and bring him to OSU hoping to get 3 or 4 years before someone comes to steal him. He did several google searches and Yurcich name and Edinboro kept popping up.

Last report says he wasn't offered a position...

Surprised about Brian Wright. Guy puts up awesome numbers!

Surprised about Brian Wright. Guy puts up awesome numbers!
His best numbers have been under Jason Candle who is viewed as an offensive whiz kid. At FAU he was not nearly as prolific but I was impressed with his work at interim coach. He was really good.

His best numbers have been under Jason Candle who is viewed as an offensive whiz kid. At FAU he was not nearly as prolific but I was impressed with his work at interim coach. He was really good.
Why hasn't Denbrook's name come up from Cinci? He has a pretty solid resume.

Reactions: Tegray1
Faulkner on the surface doesn't seem to fit the profile of what CTA wants--a guy who can implement a ball-control, run-first offense that keeps IU's defense in a more favorable position. Arky State's TOP was only 59th this season.

Henson more nearly appears to fit the profile, not so much for his work with Gundy as for his stints with Pinkel and the Mad Hatter. I'm still skeptical that any OC, with IU's current personnel, will be able to pull off the kind of offense CTA wants, but Henson's definitely got some of it in his background. And FWIW he's widely regarded as a good recruiter.

I'm still intrigued by DeBoer and Albin (especially as guys whose offenses potentially could deliver what Allen wants) but it sounds like they're not involved. DeBoer would actually be a pretty good fit IMO at USC, and as others have pointed out Albin may be waiting on Solich.

Reactions: 76-1
I'm still skeptical that any OC, with IU's current personnel, will be able to pull off the kind of offense CTA wants,
Why the skepticism? It's not like our offensive cupboard is bare. We've got three quality QBs, including a 4-star transfer. We also appear to be in excellent shape at RB, and the addition of 4-star Sampson James is huge. Hale, Westbrook and Philyor return at WR. If the OL plays well (and it improved significantly in the second half of the season that just ended), we will give more than a few defenses fits.

Reactions: ESalum86
Man i'm starting to wonder why this is taking so long. Maybe we will end up with an OC from the Canadian football league? Think outside the box!

Why the skepticism? It's not like our offensive cupboard is bare. We've got three quality QBs, including a 4-star transfer. We also appear to be in excellent shape at RB, and the addition of 4-star Sampson James is huge. Hale, Westbrook and Philyor return at WR. If the OL plays well (and it improved significantly in the second half of the season that just ended), we will give more than a few defenses fits.
Thats what I'm saying too. Allen can sell its obvious.

You have an excellent QB stable, more than excellent running back stable, experienced WR's with good results, and an OL that just got a freshman back over 1000 yards rushing. Theres alot of pieces in place to explode this thing.

Man i'm starting to wonder why this is taking so long. Maybe we will end up with an OC from the Canadian football league? Think outside the box!
There are many P5 schools looking for an OC. Some of the candidates are also reportedly under consideration for NFL jobs. This isn't a quick and easy process.

Is it possible things are so quiet because CTA's target is still coaching in the NFL playoffs? Pulling someone from Andy Reid's staff at KC could be interesting. If only anyone there had a connection to IU or the B1G...

There's always the ultra slim chance that Northern IL goes with someone other than Canada but that's unlikely...

Faulkner on the surface doesn't seem to fit the profile of what CTA wants--a guy who can implement a ball-control, run-first offense that keeps IU's defense in a more favorable position. Arky State's TOP was only 59th this season.

Henson more nearly appears to fit the profile, not so much for his work with Gundy as for his stints with Pinkel and the Mad Hatter. I'm still skeptical that any OC, with IU's current personnel, will be able to pull off the kind of offense CTA wants, but Henson's definitely got some of it in his background. And FWIW he's widely regarded as a good recruiter.

I'm still intrigued by DeBoer and Albin (especially as guys whose offenses potentially could deliver what Allen wants) but it sounds like they're not involved. DeBoer would actually be a pretty good fit IMO at USC, and as others have pointed out Albin may be waiting on Solich.
____
Albin might be my #1 choice. But you are right, he has not left there up until now which means he most think he's coach in waiting for Solich. There has to be have offers with the success he's had.

Canada has a contract at Maryland for 2 more years so he must have told them he is leaving.

Maryland: FootballScoop first reported back on December 6 that Josh Gattis was expected to be the offensive coordinator at Maryland. Now, other outlets are reporting that it’s happening.

Canada may have some serious competition for the NI job per this article (in fact he wasn't even mentioned in it for whatever reason...):

https://m.herosports.com/college-football/rod-carey-temple-candidates-northern-illinois-ahah

ADVERTISEMENT