ADVERTISEMENT

OC news today possibly?

Sounds like we missed getting a good fit w/ Canada. I don't blame him for wanting some say in the coaches, especially if he is deemed the "head coach of the offense". When underlings report to you, it is always critical that you know you have their loyalty. My guess is Canada did not know those offensive coaches enough.

My guess is that Canada ends up at Georgia. Pure guess. (If he ends up at a stud football school, what say you to those of you who said Canada was not of IU's caliber?)
The problem is that Canada coming back here as OC would be a step down for him and he be looking for a HC job at a smaller school right away. He be gone in a year or two and we’d be right back here looking and putting in a third new offense.

Should he have any control, especially since the position has been described by Allen as “the head coach of the offense”?

IMO

Not just you, but this whole thing is a load of crap. A contract is a negotiated agreement wrt terms. Coach Canada should have as much control wrt offensive staff, amount of salary, length of contract, and potential bonuses and benefits, etc. as IU (Coach Allen) was willing to offer. They could not reach agreement, not unusual.

Typically professional service contract negotiations are completed, either successfully or unsuccessfully, in private and potential terms are not released by one party when unsuccessful.

In short,
1. Coach Canada should have kept his mouth shut;
2. Coach Allen should have already completed this task!

2. Coach Allen should have already completed this task!
Who are you to dictate the timeline?

And DeBord resigned just a couple of weeks ago. It's not like this is being dragged out. There are a lot of openings and coaching candidates out there, and these things take time.

I don't blame Canada - an OC should have complete control of the Offense. That's why a HC hires an OC. If true, it sounds like Allen wants to retain the position coaches currently in place.

I'm sure Allen is loyal to his assistants, but that's also what got Mallory fired.

Just an observation.
except canada is a mercenary, jumping from job to job, year after year. if allen has a couple position coaches he believes in (grant heard, mike hart), it is reasonable to want to keep them as they will probably be here longer than canada. canada worked at 6 different schools the last 6 years. he wants a head coaching job. he would virtually have one foot out the door before starting the job.

Reactions: TominDallas
except canada is a mercenary, jumping from job to job, year after year. if allen has a couple position coaches he believes in (grant heard, mike hart), it is reasonable to want to keep them as they will probably be here longer than canada. canada worked at 6 different schools the last 6 years. he wants a head coaching job. he would virtually have one foot out the door before starting the job.

I agree......the more I've read about him, the less I like him....no big loss, imo, and may be better off without him.

That said, at this point, I wonder if Allen had any advance notice of DeBord leaving. From all appearances, this search does not appear to be going smoothly.

We are looking that has too many other people looking. The best ten guys probably have competing offers, so it's tough sledding.

Even though we all want the new OC announced, the smart thing to do is wait until you have the guy that is best.

There is a lot of movement everywhere right now. May take a little more time.

I agree......the more I've read about him, the less I like him....no big loss, imo, and may be better off without him.

That said, at this point, I wonder if Allen had any advance notice of DeBord leaving. From all appearances, this search does not appear to be going smoothly.

Reactions: ESalum86

I don't buy the premise of the 1st article that hiring a new OC should be that difficult. Compare it to hiring a HC......there might be 2-3 candidates who for various reasons are head and shoulder above all others. As far as OCs go, as others have said, they come & go with much greater frequency. There might be 15-20 candidates who are realistic possibilities. Just get it done.

For one, there seem to be a lot more moving parts in the coaching carousel than usual, increasing competition making it harder to identify clear candidates

Plus, with early signing out of the way and currently being in a dead recruiting period, it reduces the urgency to lock down a coordinator. No need to rush. It looks like we had a primary candidate that Allen interviewed, but negotiations didn't pan out, nothing really odd about that.

Looking back, Wilson hired Allen on Jan 16th. While Knorr was technically let go the same day, Wilson probably informed Knorr he wouldn't be retained a few weeks earlier, but as a courtesy was given the opportunity to look for positions without being publicly fired first

Reactions: 76-1
For one, there seem to be a lot more moving parts in the coaching carousel than usual, increasing competition making it harder to identify clear candidates

Plus, with early signing out of the way and currently being in a dead recruiting period, it reduces the urgency to lock down a coordinator. No need to rush. It looks like we had a primary candidate that Allen interviewed, but negotiations didn't pan out, nothing really odd about that.

Looking back, Wilson hired Allen on Jan 16th. While Knorr was technically let go the same day, Wilson probably informed Knorr he wouldn't be retained a few weeks earlier, but as a courtesy was given the opportunity to look for positions without being publicly fired first

The immediate focus on Canada to the exclusion of other possibilities is a bit disconcerting. Shows a lack of imagination. I personally can't believe he didn't take the job. His loss, imo.

The immediate focus on Canada to the exclusion of other possibilities is a bit disconcerting. Shows a lack of imagination. I personally can't believe he didn't take the job. His loss, imo.

We have no idea if it was at the exclusion of other candidates. Its been less than 24 hrs since news broke that Canada declined. Allen may have interviewed multiple candidates already, but perhaps only advanced that to negotiations with Canada

Reactions: ESalum86
Where was he before the last 6? He was at NIU and IU, where he stayed as long as the coaching staff was around.

Most times he leaves for greener pastures. But he stuck it out here and wasn't trying to leave.

Your description of him as a 'mercenary' could be applied to 99% of the coaches out there. If they move on voluntarily, it's because they were successful. I want the next OC for IU to be successful - don't you?

Where was he before the last 6? He was at NIU and IU, where he stayed as long as the coaching staff was around.

Most times he leaves for greener pastures. But he stuck it out here and wasn't trying to leave.

Your description of him as a 'mercenary' could be applied to 99% of the coaches out there. If they move on voluntarily, it's because they were successful. I want the next OC for IU to be successful - don't you?
he was working his way up the rungs back then and certainly didn't have the skills or experience to leverage a new job every year. let's put it this way. since he has risen to oc has has changed schools every year. better? also, he has made it clear he wants to be a head coach now so if he gets an offer he is gone

I don't blame Canada - an OC should have complete control of the Offense. That's why a HC hires an OC. If true, it sounds like Allen wants to retain the position coaches currently in place.

I'm sure Allen is loyal to his assistants, but that's also what got Mallory fired.

Just an observation.
canada should/would get complete control of the offense and how he sees fit to run it. in regards to the rest of the position coaches you perhaps are not factoring in recruiting. let's suppose, for instance, that heard and hart have been stellar recruiters. maybe hart was the reason james flipped from ohio st. would you let canada push them out the door, then accept a head coach position the next season, and now have lost two of your best recruiters? no way. ultimately it is allen's team, he is responsible, and he has a year or two to prove he is capable or else he is gone.

I personally like the idea of taking time to get it right. CTA needs to get this right for sure and there is time to get someone in and start teaching the new system.

Reactions: 76-1 and zzzz92
We have no idea if it was at the exclusion of other candidates. Its been less than 24 hrs since news broke that Canada declined. Allen may have interviewed multiple candidates already, but perhaps only advanced that to negotiations with Canada
Amen! Unless you’re in the room who knows what’s the timing of things, the spin (maybe IU passed on Canada and his camp saying he bowed out?). Let it play out!

No OC that I know of that has just moved to an FBS school in the past few weeks gets the right to select his entire staff unless those openings are there. It’s not happening at any other school right now. That would be completely unprecedented unless a head coach was going to clean house regardless.
Maybe he knows how IU operates? I think that is possible. He could have been surrounded by sub-par guys the last time and saw the frustration from the staff that nothing could be done? Just trying to think where a demand like that would come from

Maybe he knows how IU operates? I think that is possible. He could have been surrounded by sub-par guys the last time and saw the frustration from the staff that nothing could be done? Just trying to think where a demand like that would come from

Or I could see where IU maybe wasn't his top choice, so he felt comfortable making a major ask thinking he had nothing to lose

Its also weird optics for him, its going to feel strange to make 7 job changes in a decade and end up in the place you started

Last edited:
My take, and it is not intended as a shot at Canada, is: While most assistants, especially coordinators, are looking for a HC gig, Canada is probably a tad bit more focused on that. He has OCed at major programs (plural) and been an interim HC and he has had a taste of being HC. Yes, all coordinators want a HC job but some are not in the position to jump quickly and will give you three years building their resume. Canada is just farther along the path to HC, so I doubt we would get more than two years, if that, if he joined IU . As to naming his OC staff, it just may be who he wants to work with or he may be looking to the future where he can present himself for a HC opportunity as a guy who can bring with him his offensive coaches. Just a thought.

Reactions: Hoosier009
Sounds like we missed getting a good fit w/ Canada. I don't blame him for wanting some say in the coaches, especially if he is deemed the "head coach of the offense". When underlings report to you, it is always critical that you know you have their loyalty. My guess is Canada did not know those offensive coaches enough.

My guess is that Canada ends up at Georgia. Pure guess. (If he ends up at a stud football school, what say you to those of you who said Canada was not of IU's caliber?)
Your guess that Canada ends up st Gergia was wrong.. Supposedly in the running for a lot of jobs but has not got one yet

Your guess that Canada ends up st Gergia was wrong.. Supposedly in the running for a lot of jobs but has not got one yet
Canada is is not the most popular choice obviously. If he was that good all the Sec teams would have come running and they aren't. Says alot!

Reactions: iulb
Wonder if Andy Reid would come to IU. He sure likes to throw to the tight end. Wish we [IU] did !

Reactions: 76-1
IF it was an internal hire, like Heard, think he should be sole OC and hire new WR coach. Fun just keeps coming.

Am I the only one thinking that Harbaugh might be taking a NFL job? Gregg Mattison and Al Washington have left the staff in back to back days for OSU. That would leave a top 5 job open with several positions to fill. It just seems odd.
Mattison left because he was Dline coach making 500,000. Osu made him dc and gave him 1.2 mil. Washington is from ohio, dad played at osu, he coached with osu coach at boston college

I agree with Welshman, if it were an internal hire it would have happened by now...
If it was a planned internal hire, yes it would have been done by now.

But if it's a backup plan, it may be later than expected. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT