ADVERTISEMENT

NSIAP... glass retiring at end of year

No matter what you think of Glass, he is one of the few people you have ever seen hired as AD of a major College Athletic Program without previous experience in College Athletic Administration. I can't think of anyone currently at a major college program who was hired with a different background. He and Morgan Burke may be the last of that breed.

Swarbrick at ND?

Bad news for Archie but this is the wrong board for that. Haha.
very bad news for all of our present coaches. glass accumulated a great group of coaches. now it could all blow up. i fear this is bad news for IU athletics.

very bad news for all of our present coaches. glass accumulated a great group of coaches. now it could all blow up. i fear this is bad news for IU athletics.

Im not sure it’s a “great group of coaches.” A few decent ones for sure. If we hire a good AD, we won’t have much to worry about. From a results perspective, losing Glass is a plus. He tolerates losing more than any AD that I have ever seen.

Reactions: indy1203

Dont disagree at all except the jury is still out on Arch. I never thought I’d see a day where baseball and women’s basketball and football were at this level but here we are. It’s great.

Im not sure it’s a “great group of coaches.” A few decent ones for sure. If we hire a good AD, we won’t have much to worry about. From a results perspective, losing Glass is a plus. He tolerates losing more than any AD that I have ever seen.
You are focusing on only one aspect of an AD's performance. It's a lot more than team performance, like "little" things like finances and construction/improvement of facilities. Fred has done a lot for IU athletics when it comes to the business aspects.

Reactions: grammy2 and YOTHN
Dont disagree at all except the jury is still out on Arch. I never thought I’d see a day where baseball and women’s basketball and football were at this level but here we are. It’s great.
Are you saying that IU should drop baseball, softball, volleyball, track, and women's basketball?

Have you forgotten McNeely? He was clueless.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and 76-1
By far my biggest concern is that we get someone who doesn’t understand the arms race. Fred was a driver of facility upgrades. Some say not enough. You have to be doing major projects in perpetuity.

You look at a guy like Morgan Burke;

He literally sat in his pocketbook and Purdue was forced to play major catchup.

Within the next decade, I would not be surprised if we should push hard for a new basketball arena. I think they should have leveled Assembly Hall and built a new arena but that’s water under the bridge at this point.

I'm often wrong, and I may be wrong here, but I generally don't offer an opinion without having some basis for it.

First, just to be clear, I think Glass has done a good job at IU and I don't dislike Crean. The timing of the Crean extension has always struck me as peculiar and ill-advised. Why cut a new deal if you don't have to? Didn't Crean still have several years remaining on his existing contract at the time of the extension that was inked in November 2012? And was there any danger of him leaving immediately prior to the start of a new season? Clearly, no. It almost seemed driven by emotion, as IU was basking in the glow of a #1 preseason ranking. The announcement, just before the season opener, certainly made for good theater, though.
I appreciate your response but I don’t see timing as a valid criticism. Virtually all coaching contract extensions are done in the wake of success with optimism running high. What better timing could there have been? Allen was in no danger of leaving and we extended him immediately after beating Purdue. If that’s not an emotional time to extend a contract, I don’t know what is but everybody is happy with that.
Maybe you don’t dislike Crean (I am neither for or against him) so can give a thoughtful reply but if we took this to the basketball boards, it would not be a reasonable or informed discussion.

I appreciate your response but I don’t see timing as a valid criticism. Virtually all coaching contract extensions are done in the wake of success with optimism running high. What better timing could there have been? Allen was in no danger of leaving and we extended him immediately after beating Purdue. If that’s not an emotional time to extend a contract, I don’t know what is but everybody is happy with that.
Maybe you don’t dislike Crean (I am neither for or against him) so can give a thoughtful reply but if we took this to the basketball boards, it would not be a reasonable or informed discussion.
Glass unnecessarily increased the compensation and extended the term of a guy who, in the end, didn't work out. I doubt that Glass is looking back on that as one of his finest moments.

And Allen very well may have been in danger of leaving. He was vetted by FSU, and Football Scoop reported that Arkansas had serious interest.

I'm sure it's unintended, but there's often an arrogant tone to your posts. Might be a good time to remember we're all swimming in a relatively small pond here.

Pat Kraft is the real deal. He will ruffle feathers to fix the gameday atmosphere. He is obsessed with what Barry Alverez did at Wisconsin. He obviously has a tremendous love for Indiana football, and I cannot wait to see what he would do to improve the athletic department.

You are right. I forgot about him. My point is those guys are rare, and with the prevalence of Search Committees and Hiring of Search Firms to cover everybody's ass with respect to the Hire, I don't know that we will see someone hired from a private sector occupation with no Athletic Administration experience hired as an Athletic Director again.

Louisville’s AD Tyra had no college athletic administration experience. He had a name because of his Dad and he had financial experience. I think “outliers” are more common than you think and will continue to exist because in times of crisis familiarity trumps logic and there are often individuals who have unique experience that fits the needs of a particular situation. Need an example? Does this guy meet a need that transcends previous AD experience at his school?
https://msuspartans.com/staff-directory/bill-beekman/3

Glass unnecessarily increased the compensation and extended the term of a guy who, in the end, didn't work out. I doubt that Glass is looking back on that as one of his finest moments.

And Allen very well may have been in danger of leaving. He was vetted by FSU, and Football Scoop reported that Arkansas had serious interest.

I'm sure it's unintended, but there's often an arrogant tone to your posts. Might be a good time to remember we're all swimming in a relatively small pond here.
Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? Crean didn't work out and that makes it easier to call it a mistake. That's the case with every coach who gets fired. And Allen made it very clear that he didn't have any interest in leaving. It doesn't really matter who "vetted" him, whatever that actually means.

The tone of my posts virtually always mirror the tone of the post I'm replying to. Intentionally. I'm not sure what you found arrogant about my post but I thought we were having a respectful disagreement. Evidently I was wrong but I won't lose any sleep over it.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Pat Kraft is the real deal. He will ruffle feathers to fix the gameday atmosphere. He is obsessed with what Barry Alverez did at Wisconsin. He obviously has a tremendous love for Indiana football, and I cannot wait to see what he would do to improve the athletic department.

Could you share more? Everything I can find online about him is really pedestrian and not terribly impressive. I'm not doubting, just would like to better understand why folks are so high on him.

Louisville’s AD Tyra had no college athletic administration experience. He had a name because of his Dad and he had financial experience. I think “outliers” are more common than you think and will continue to exist because in times of crisis familiarity trumps logic and there are often individuals who have unique experience that fits the needs of a particular situation. Need an example? Does this guy meet a need that transcends previous AD experience at his school?
https://msuspartans.com/staff-directory/bill-beekman/3

MSU fans are *not* happy with Beekman. Crisis put a lot of unqualified folks in leadership positions at MSU.

MSU fans are *not* happy with Beekman. Crisis put a lot of unqualified folks in leadership positions at MSU.

My point was crisis often dictates the selection of AD’s. The fact that Burke, Swarbuck and Glass - all lawyers - ruled the athletic departments of the state’s three major universities concurrently was no coincidence.

There are individual items that I don't think Glass did well- selling the Penn State home game for instance and the fact that our football game day operations still suck- but I've never understood the knock on him for the Crean extension. It was a pretty normal market based contract. It's taken on a mythical status that seems to me to be more rooted in dislike of Crean than any mistake that Glass made and I doubt very many people that bring it up could even say what they details were and why it was such a mistake.
At any rate, our athletic department is in the best overall shape it's been since Ralph Floyd.
Maybe a bad word choice on my part.....the most popular sport meaning basketball. Fred’s legacy in that sense will be judged on how well Archie does.

True, but it's really "upon us." I have confidence that the search for a new AD will be done professionally and thoroughly.

I’m of the belief that in the current climate (BTN, accelerated revenue).. any team in our league has to try hard to **** up. Even Rutgers will surpass the darker days Purdue and IU have seen in my life without much effort.

With coaches, recruits and other personnel, the relative appeal of the Big Ten v ACC, PAC 12 and Big 12 is much more in favor of the big ten than it was 15 years ago

I anticipate a good hire

Reactions: destewart
Could you share more? Everything I can find online about him is really pedestrian and not terribly impressive. I'm not doubting, just would like to better understand why folks are so high on him.
I met with Pat, and actually worked directly under him to help get the "Quarry" started in about 2009. If you look at articles, we had the highest attendance increase in the nation that year. His passion and enthusiasm for IU football is off the charts.

Like I said, his guidebook was Barry Alverez''s book. His take away is that if you want to play big boy football, you need to act like big boy football off the field. He wasn't afraid to piss off a few old people to bring in a $#@* ton of new fans. It wasn't a job for him...it was a calling.

He did well in Chicago, and Temple's football team in particular has been very strong. I've kept up with his career because I always hoped his time would come here.

Thanks for
I met with Pat, and actually worked directly under him to help get the "Quarry" started in about 2009. If you look at articles, we had the highest attendance increase in the nation that year. His passion and enthusiasm for IU football is off the charts.

Like I said, his guidebook was Barry Alverez''s book. His take away is that if you want to play big boy football, you need to act like big boy football off the field. He wasn't afraid to piss off a few old people to bring in a $#@* ton of new fans. It wasn't a job for him...it was a calling.

He did well in Chicago, and Temple's football team in particular has been very strong. I've kept up with his career because I always hoped his time would come here.

Thanks for sharing.

By far my biggest concern is that we get someone who doesn’t understand the arms race. Fred was a driver of facility upgrades. Some say not enough. You have to be doing major projects in perpetuity.

You look at a guy like Morgan Burke;

He literally sat in his pocketbook and Purdue was forced to play major catchup.

Within the next decade, I would not be surprised if we should push hard for a new basketball arena. I think they should have leveled Assembly Hall and built a new arena but that’s water under the bridge at this point.
Around 40 million under the bridge, but who is counting?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT