ADVERTISEMENT

OT Did any of you attend South Bend Clay High School?

My wife graduated from Clay in 1974 and I graduated from SBR in 1976. We both still have family in South Bend, and it has been going downhill since those years. South Bend schools are horrible and the management of it has not been good at all.

I ended up graduating from South Bend Riley after attending South Bend Jackson for three years. That change was to improve the racial diversity balance to secure more federal funding by having better diversity. Jackson was only 10 years old at that time and is still the middle school that feeds Riley. There was a sister school South Bend Lasalle that was the exact same design as Jackson, and it has been closed or repurposed I forget without asking family.

Penn was a country school like Jackson and now they are more like a Center Grove or Carmel with over a 1000 per graduating class. Penn and Jackson were considered the country or farm schools in the 70's.

Closing Clay is just another step in the disintegration of the South Bend schools. There was some discussion of closing Riley also and just having Adams and Washington but for now Riley survives.

We are both disappointed in what has happened to South Bend in general and the school corporation in particular. My bother in law pitched Clay to a state baseball championship in 1970.
Yeah, the South Bend we grew up in doesn’t exist anymore, and hasn’t for a long time now.

I don’t think they will close Riley, as it is the most-recently built of the remaining schools.

I live in Jimtown and my kids go to school there. The Jimmies are actually looking for a new football coach as the current coach recently left to coach Fairfield. Bill Sharpe was the coach there when they were really good.
Did you go to Jimtown?

My wife graduated from Clay in 1974 and I graduated from SBR in 1976. We both still have family in South Bend, and it has been going downhill since those years. South Bend schools are horrible and the management of it has not been good at all.

I ended up graduating from South Bend Riley after attending South Bend Jackson for three years. That change was to improve the racial diversity balance to secure more federal funding by having better diversity. Jackson was only 10 years old at that time and is still the middle school that feeds Riley. There was a sister school South Bend Lasalle that was the exact same design as Jackson, and it has been closed or repurposed I forget without asking family.

Penn was a country school like Jackson and now they are more like a Center Grove or Carmel with over a 1000 per graduating class. Penn and Jackson were considered the country or farm schools in the 70's.

Closing Clay is just another step in the disintegration of the South Bend schools. There was some discussion of closing Riley also and just having Adams and Washington but for now Riley survives.

We are both disappointed in what has happened to South Bend in general and the school corporation in particular. My bother in law pitched Clay to a state baseball championship in 1970.
We live in Goshen but follow SB school news on the local news. By all accounts, the SB school system is pretty bad ( test scores, SAT's. basic math and English proficiency. If I had kids who were in the SB Clay area I'd look into a local charter school.

We live in Goshen but follow SB school news on the local news. By all accounts, the SB school system is pretty bad ( test scores, SAT's. basic math and English proficiency. If I had kids who were in the SB Clay area I'd look into a local charter school.
Every once in a while we would stop off in Goshen if we were in the area to go to CiCi's pizza. We heard it closed down. bummer.

Since moving to Pennsylvania over six years ago I watch WHME on YouTube to see Football and Basketball games from the area. I also watch Summit City Sports because I lived near the Fort.

Did you or your wife happen to know a Kathy Parker - graduated in '75 from either Clay or Riley, I think.

I read a few months ago that SBC is closing. If you went there what are your thoughts? When I lived around the Fort I really enjoyed sports there and also watching sports around South Bend. It will be interesting to see where all the students end up and perhaps sports will get better for some schools.
I graduated from Clay in 1985. Clay Township was kind of the new frontier in those days. When Knollwood Country Club became developed, Clay became the affluent high school in South Bend (kind of like Mishawaka Penn now). We were good at most sports, though not great at football. When bussing started my Freshman year, they transferred kids from the most depressed part of SB into Clay HS, which was a culture shock for both sets of kids. There were some tough moments my Freshman year, but by the time we were Seniors, the athletes were all friends. My senior year, I believe we were #1 in the state for much of the season and it was on the backs of the kids who had been bussed in. Clay was definitely competitive. Sadly, Clay deteriorated to the point where it was nothing like the Clay in the '80s. It was a great school at one time and more than one teacher helped change my life in a college prep curriculum.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
I graduated from Clay in 1985. Clay Township was kind of the new frontier in those days. When Knollwood Country Club became developed, Clay became the affluent high school in South Bend (kind of like Mishawaka Penn now). We were good at most sports, though not great at football. When bussing started my Freshman year, they transferred kids from the most depressed part of SB into Clay HS, which was a culture shock for both sets of kids. There were some tough moments my Freshman year, but by the time we were Seniors, the athletes were all friends. My senior year, I believe we were #1 in the state for much of the season and it was on the backs of the kids who had been bussed in. Clay was definitely competitive. Sadly, Clay deteriorated to the point where it was nothing like the Clay in the '80s. It was a great school at one time and more than one teacher helped change my life in a college prep curriculum.
The youngest brother of my wife graduated from Clay in 1978 and I believe still held a record or two in track. A guy that I played baseball with Tony Spencer was quarterback of Clay football in 1977 and or 1978. Reinbold the baseball coach always had really good teams. Even in the 70's there were kids from the area my wife called Dogpatch was a pretty depressed area that went to Clay.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
I actually went to Northwood. Moved to Jimtown when I got married.
I follow Northwood sports. Nitro Tuggle was a lot of fun to watch in football along with JJ Payne. Those guys played basketball together for a while and would come off the bench and bring the energy. I will watch for Tuggle at Georgia and hope the best for him. Last yr's basketball team was soooo good. Ian Rausch along with his brother Tyler really did a great job inside along with the outside game with kids like Brenner. This yr's team was not as good but still enjoyable. Tyler is the man now and has gotten a lot better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT