ADVERTISEMENT

If you are Scott Dolson…

O, you foolish mortal. You are a good guy and a good poster, but very naive.

i seriously doubt the meetings you describe in paragraphs 2 and 3 have happened in any meaningful way. I don't doubt they had a 20 minute wrap-up meeting meeting, just like with the softball coach (21 SPORTS, 1 TEAM!!) but nothing meaningful. If Woodson wasn't interested in anything Matta & Fife had to say, do you think he cared about what Dolson had to say? He probably just slapped ole Scottie on the back and said 'don't you worry about a thing.. I got it covered'. Scottie had to be concerned immediately after years end. Getting run off the court by Miami with an AA Center and two 5* recruits wasn't a good look. Then Woodson gets Ware & MM and Scottie thinks the danger has passed. Woodson's like "wait till you see these guys", because he's all about the stars.

Likewise, do you really think Dull Son has expressed his present concerns in any meaningful way? If so, wouldn't Woodson have at least publicly acknowledged the issues by now, rather than just being pissed that the media isn't covering for him as much as they should? Or had some comments about changes or expectations going forward? Do you think he would have said 'how do you expect us to win with all these injuries' if Dolson had told him 'injuries aren't a valid excuse'? I doubt that there has been ANY indication of displeasure from Scottie to Woody. to date. Given this, I agree with you that Dull Son very probably has not greased the skids for a coaching change. But a 2-8 finish and a 1st round BT tourney loss can't be ignored, I'm sure Scottie is hoping that 4-5 wins will come from somewhere.....

I disagree with the "calling a meeting" approach. You need to get Whitten on board first if you intend to change anything. She's the only "innocent" interested party here. If its you v. the President and the BOTs, you lose and you just look silly bringing it up. If its you and the President, the BOTs will side with you. If its important enough to you to try to fix it, that's the approach you take.

You have NO idea what has went on behind closed doors.

This post is speculation based on conjecture based on rumor.

Worked for that school up north.
Also worked for Duke & UNC.
Extremely different situations.
Those schools were having great success, and the legend coaches picked their successors.
Our coach is flailing - why on earth would anyone have him handpick his successor???

Looking at those great UK teams......

----2011-12....38-2..Won the NC...3 of the starting 5 were Anthony Davis (#1 NBA pick), Marcus Teague (#29 NBA), and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (#2)
---2009-10....35-3....John Wall (#1), DeMarcus Cousins (#5) and Eric Bledsoe (#18)...and they didn't win the NC
---2014-15......38-1....Karl-Anthony Towns (#1), Devin Booker (#13), Trey Lyles (#12), and Tyler Ulis (#34) in top 6 players...lost FF game to Wisconsin.

Bottom li8ne....if you're going to make it all about the NBA...which I think Woody has....you better have about 3 real studs.

Ware is a nice player. JHS was a nice player. Neither was anything like Davis, Wall, Cousins, Kidd-Gilchrist or Towns.
Saying Cal is a better college coach than Woody isn’t a real accomplishment.
Kidd-Gilchrist, despite the great gunslinger name, was a big bust in the NBA that no one really talked about.
Tons of young talent but little to show for it. One purchased natty

What evidence do you have that Whitten was the driver?
I would acutally think it was more SD with Whitten's blessing since he moved on Archie when not many thought he would.
The Archie situation was worse.

It seems to me Woody and crew are doing their best. Their best simply isn’t anywhere close to good enough. They aren’t just going to magically learn how to coach better.

Football hires a HS coach. Failure.
Basketball hires a Pro coach. Failure.
This coaching line up is something that you would see at Chicago State or Detroit. (No offense Mike Davis). Not at a B1G score lil alone IU. Woodson is probably Craig Hodges with TJD and NIL at IU.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
With OSU, UL, and UM all likely to have openings this year Dolson absolutely has to move now. Waiting until next year could be catastrophic.
Totally agree and add the players that become available as well. Waiting puts you deeper into a hole that the next guy has to work his way out of.

Not like we haven’t seen that movie before.

Woodson is verrry likely getting a shot to earn an extension next year. He has an insane amount of work to do to maintain this roster and find guard help in the portal though.

But he’s likely gonna get that shot. I do wonder, in the back of my mind, if Quinn/Woody decide to pad Woody’s retirement by sending him packing before the lower buyout kicks in next spring… that’s where the conversation must be…

“Hey old pal, do u really want to try this fourth year? Because I don’t know if an extension is guaranteed without some serious success next year (could be a tough sell around these parts). And your buyout is dropping after next year. Maybe a golden parachute suits you, right old buddy?”

Woodson is verrry likely getting a shot to earn an extension next year. He has an insane amount of work to do to maintain this roster and find guard help in the portal though.

But he’s likely gonna get that shot. I do wonder, in the back of my mind, if Quinn/Woody decide to pad Woody’s retirement by sending him packing before the lower buyout kicks in next spring… that’s where the conversation must be…

“Hey old pal, do u really want to try this fourth year? Because I don’t know if an extension is guaranteed without some serious success next year (could be a tough sell around these parts). And your buyout is dropping after next year. Maybe a golden parachute suits you, right old buddy?”
IU will keep Woody another year. Why wouldn't they? A program in the toilet for two decades won't be bothered when another year is just another turd that needs flushed. Its all about the money with the university, right? They have made a fortune while the basketball program has been living in a convelescent home all this time. When you can make money regardless of results...then expect decisions to contradict fans conventional wisdom. Its all about financial results...not basketball results.

IU will keep Woody another year. Why wouldn't they? A program in the toilet for two decades won't be bothered when another year is just another turd that needs flushed. Its all about the money with the university, right? They have made a fortune while the basketball program has been living in a convelescent home all this time. When you can make money regardless of results...then expect decisions to contradict fans conventional wisdom. Its all about financial results...not basketball results.
You just described the past 40 years of Cardinal baseball. If the Dewitt’s had been the Steinbrenner’s the Cards would have 5 more WS. This thing is about money, not winning.

If the fans ever figured this out they could change it, but now we’re hitting the nail on the head. They don’t prioritize winning either. It’s just not that important. Look at the posters on this forum.

And, now we come to the real issue - how about the players? Do the players of today even know what I’m talking about? Just asking.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Yea, this could be right. Bball makes plenty of money. And on top of it, firing Woody puts Dolson under fire since he made the hire (and yes Quinn was an influence but still). Quinn will want his buddy to stay and try and fix it.

How bad does this season need to get for change? I think lose in first game in NIT and have guys like Reneau hit the portal, making next yea look obviously bad. But, who knows.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
Woodson is verrry likely getting a shot to earn an extension next year. ...
He's not getting a shot to earn it. He's just getting it.

Indiana makes money off this mess like you pointed out. Whitten and probably Dolson's jobs aren't on the line for it. So they'll just do nothing one more year. The scary part is what if Coach Woodson has some sort of modest win streak at the right time next year.

Agree, didn't really mean just that. I'm saying a "coach in waiting" could be tasked with improving shooting, and other fundamentals as well. We'd probably have 4-5 more wins with just some moderate improvement in those areas.
Why is Woodson going to agree to coach in waiting when he got rid of Fife and Matta.

Reactions: Indymoon
1) If I am Dolson I fire myself hiring Woodson who was a total disaster. Let someone who knows what they’re doing and doesn’t bend the knee to outside idiots like Quinn make the hire.
2) We are gonna suck next year with Woody. We are ranked around 100 right now, one of the all-time lows for the program (along with Crean’s rebuild teams). We lose our best player in Ware. MM and/or MR could go if the season implodes. Queen is unlikely. We have one commit, so we are going to be desperate in the portal. We’ll take what we can get but we are hardly in the luxurious position to think about fit.

Fans are mad, donors are mad, cant do this another year. Donations and revenue will go down next year.

IU, thank god, is in a big rich conference where we get huge TV revenue. We can afford a new coach no problem. This isn’t the 2000s.
Ware is no where near our best player....
That would be Galloway.
If we didnt have Galloway our team would be bottom of the B1G easily.
Galloway is this teams leader.
Galloway knows when opposing teams are on a run that he must find defensive stops &/or get a bucket(s) .
Ware is maybe 3rd or 4th best.
Hes been a total dissapoinment for 90% of season.
He acts so nonchalant when playing.
No wonder he was let go

Ware is no where near our best player....
That would be Galloway.
If we didnt have Galloway our team would be bottom of the B1G easily.
Galloway is this teams leader.
Galloway knows when opposing teams are on a run that he must find defensive stops &/or get a bucket(s) .
Ware is maybe 3rd or 4th best.
Hes been a total dissapoinment for 90% of season.
He acts so nonchalant when playing.
No wonder he was let go
Lol. No.

No?
Youre telling me if youre forced to pick between letting Galloway go or Ware go youre gonna let Galloway go???
Ware beats him in every stat except assists, where Gallo avgs two more per game.

Ware is just way better.

Doesn’t matter, this is trivial. Our coach is probably the worst in IU history (remember he has NIL). So keep Gallo — who cares as long as Woody is around.

Two plus Twenty win seasons ,two tournament appearances ,we did not have those in the miller years
One year was a play-in that we needed 29 from TJD to win. Miller is arguably one of the worst coaches in IU history, what kind of bar are we trying to set? 3 data points is a trend and this is not trending toward continuous progress and back to IU standards of play.

Ware beats him in every stat except assists, where Gallo avgs two more per game.

Ware is just way better.

Doesn’t matter, this is trivial. Our coach is probably the worst in IU history (remember he has NIL). So keep Gallo — who cares as long as Woody is around.
The stat sheet doesnt paint the entire picture when it comes to reality.
Take away Galloway > Ware and we hands down lose more games...
Ware wouldnt even get half the points he gets if it wasnt for galloway being gifted enough/ a threat on his own enough to run that little 2 man game in the paint with Ware making defenders pick their poison between who gets the points....either Ware or Galloway

Yea, this could be right. Bball makes plenty of money. And on top of it, firing Woody puts Dolson under fire since he made the hire (and yes Quinn was an influence but still). Quinn will want his buddy to stay and try and fix it.

How bad does this season need to get for change? I think lose in first game in NIT and have guys like Reneau hit the portal, making next yea look obviously bad. But, who knows.
We aren't even in the NIT at the moment. We will have to play our way into that.

If you are Scott Dolson…?​

Arrange a cozy get together for MW and the team and Quinn to watch the Championship Game together as my guests.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT