ADVERTISEMENT

If you are Scott Dolson…

IUHoopster

Junior
Dec 21, 2001
Southern Indiana
Do you replace Woodson after next year if it’s another subpar season? You have to go through the pain of another large buyout when you have a Coach who will be retiring within 5 to 7 years (debatable). Or, do you hire an assistant coach in waiting at the end of next year to have the transition in place? This would require hiring an assistant coach who is not in a prominent position at this time, and can accept a few years of being the standby.

Scott Dolson is committed to Woodson and will allow him to finish out his contract. There is zero chance Woodson will be terminated based on wins and losses. When Woodson retires, Dolson will select the next failure.

Do you replace Woodson after next year if it’s another subpar season? You have to go through the pain of another large buyout when you have a Coach who will be retiring within 5 to 7 years (debatable). Or, do you hire an assistant coach in waiting at the end of next year to have the transition in place? This would require hiring an assistant coach who is not in a prominent position at this time, and can accept a few years of being the standby.
I would buy him out after this year. Blow this garbage up now and stop wasting time. Students only get 4 years and deserve a championship squad at least once. Interview Beard, May, Matta, and the coach at ISU. Bring in a whole new staff. If Dolson or Buckner screw up this hire terminate them as well.

1) If I am Dolson I fire myself hiring Woodson who was a total disaster. Let someone who knows what they’re doing and doesn’t bend the knee to outside idiots like Quinn make the hire.
2) We are gonna suck next year with Woody. We are ranked around 100 right now, one of the all-time lows for the program (along with Crean’s rebuild teams). We lose our best player in Ware. MM and/or MR could go if the season implodes. Queen is unlikely. We have one commit, so we are going to be desperate in the portal. We’ll take what we can get but we are hardly in the luxurious position to think about fit.

Fans are mad, donors are mad, cant do this another year. Donations and revenue will go down next year.

IU, thank god, is in a big rich conference where we get huge TV revenue. We can afford a new coach no problem. This isn’t the 2000s.

Dolson should be planning his exit after the season.

I can't see Woodson working even that long. A couple of more years tops. He moves like an old man, he sits on a support cushion during timeouts. I think you work on a transition plan unless he volunteers to retire sooner. You don't extend him under any circumstances at this point. Even if he were winning, the clock is ticking.

How in the world do you give a guy who in year 3 has built a program ranked #100? With top-5 NIL $? This is a massive failure. Woody has to perform (like be top-25) to keep his job and earn $4M/yr. There is no obligation to just keep him here because his contract has years on it, or he’s from IU, or he needs some sort of “chance”, or we were okay (not close to very good or elite) with TJD.

Scott Dolson is committed to Woodson and will allow him to finish out his contract. There is zero chance Woodson will be terminated based on wins and losses. When Woodson retires, Dolson will select the next failure.
You don’t do that unless you extend him. I doubt they do that. I’m expecting one more year and then who knows. At this point I don’t see a fifth year or an extension. Imho

Reactions: Hoosier_Phenom
With how next year is setting up roster wise, they need to do it at the end of the year
I very seriously doubt they will. Plus with the portal and coaching changes in the spring we have no idea what will happen with the roster.

I very seriously doubt they will. Plus with the portal and coaching changes in the spring we have no idea what will happen with the roster.
Is that a healthy way to build a roster? Massive turnover and then add portal guys? Recruit your foundation and use the portal for fill ins for missing pieces is what is working with everyone.

Last edited:
No chance he fires Woody after this season. The only way I think Woody leaves after the season is he is offered some ridiculous buyout. In that case, they would push some story about his bad knees or so other health issue and he would blame the players for his crappy record and walk off with a gazillion dollar payoff.

In reality, Woody will easily convince Dolson that he has the portal figured out and will land a couple very good experienced guards to go along with Liam. Will Liam actually be any better from the start than say Mktaco is anyone's guess.

You don’t do that unless you extend him. I doubt they do that. I’m expecting one more year and then who knows. At this point I don’t see a fifth year or an extension. Imho
Yeah, if they let him dead man walk into next season, they basically HAVE to either extend or cut him in spring 2025. Hint: Barring some sort of basketball miracle, he ain’t getting that extension.

So, honestly, since Woody gets his full contract (three years @ 4.2 million) paid in full if he gets bounced b4 April 1, 2025, he should be pushing to get canned after THIS year.

You know, get some sucker donors to pay that full buyout, man! Would you wanna get docked 6 million outta your retirement fund?! Hell nah! Note: The buyout is 50% of what’s remaining after April 1, 2025.

Tank this season, get canned, collect your full contract, head off into the golden years… IU fans left holding the bag for an impossibly dumb hire.

Or Dolson subjects IU fans to another ugly hotseat year, save some money, punt Woody for $500K come April 2025. If I was Woody and dgaf? I’d tank this thing. Hard. Get paid, yo…

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Yeah, if they let him dead man walk into next season, they basically HAVE to either extend or cut him in spring 2025. Hint: Barring some sort of basketball miracle, he ain’t getting that extension.

So, honestly, since Woody gets his full contract (three years @ 4.2 million) paid in full if he gets bounced b4 April 1, 2025, he should be pushing to get canned after THIS year.

You know, get some sucker donors to pay that full buyout, man! Would you wanna get docked 12.1 million outta your retirement fund?! Hell nah! Note: The buyout is just 500K after April 1, 2025.

Tank this season, get canned, collect your full contract, head off into the golden years… IU fans left holding the bag for an impossibly dumb hire.

Or Dolson subjects IU fans to another ugly hotseat year, save some money, punt Woody for $500K come April 2025. If I was Woody and dgaf? I’d tank this thing. Hard. Get paid, yo…
This is pretty standard and you can count on one hand when a coach is fired 3 years in. With NIL and the new “super” conference coming then you might see some unusual things. This article is old but it spells these things out. Interesting read.

This is pretty standard and you can count on one hand when a coach is fired 3 years in. With NIL and the new “super” conference coming then you might see some unusual things. This article is old but it spells these things out. Interesting read.

That reminded me, the B1G and the SEC are fed up with the current NIL and portal situation. They are making noise like they will be looking into defining a new future of college athletics themselves. I presume that means leaving the NCAA and forming a new collegiate athletic association. While a change like that would probably take a few years to organize, there's a huge amount of money involved so maybe they'd move faster.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...e-it-out-or-well-go-off-ourselves/ar-BB1hGUiB

Reactions: IUbball_lifer

I wrong about the buyout, it’s 50% of what’s left. Still a lot to lose if u r Woody. Over four million bucks those last two years. It literally makes some sense for him to tank the team and try and collect THIS year.

That’s the weird thing with Woody’s situation…he’s old. Near retirement age. How incentivized/motivated is someone to chase a contract extension or another gig at that age? Such a dumb hire…

We have a fundamental issue that Dolson, who made the bad move of going with an NBA coach with fake oversight from Thad, is still making decisions. His $1M raise shows he has no idea where the program was heading.

I know he’s unproven but I do like the Cignetti hire a lot — really the opposite of Woody in that he’s a college coach bringing mostly his own staff and some former players — basically he’s replicating something that has a track record of success. Maybe Dolson can blame Quinn for Woody and and justify Dolson making another coaching hire. And maybe that coaching hire has college experience at the least. Fingers crossed.

We have a fundamental issue that Dolson, who made the bad move of going with an NBA coach with fake oversight from Thad, is still making decisions. His $1M raise shows he has no idea where the program was heading.

I know he’s unproven but I do like the Cignetti hire a lot — really the opposite of Woody in that he’s a college coach bringing mostly his own staff and some former players — basically he’s replicating something that has a track record of success. Maybe Dolson can blame Quinn for Woody and and justify Dolson making another coaching hire. And maybe that coaching hire has college experience at the least. Fingers crossed.
I don’t trust Dolson/Quinn with the men’s basketball team. Cignetti seems like a great hire though.

• Haha
Reactions: Thcgh
The Archie failure has a lot of people thinking hiring from a “mid-major” is below aus and stupid.

I am not sure who you are getting to come to IU without it being a mid-major or reclamation project (Beard) at this point.

If i was a successful coach at a major conference, no way I am leaving for IU.

The credibility of your post takes a significant "hit" when you say that there is ZERO CHANCE Woodson will be terminated based on wins and losses. IMHO, if next year is NOT significantly better than this year, the odds of CMW being replaced based on wins and losses goes up: it does NOT stay where it currently is.

Reactions: bsmitty08
If bunch head to the portal...That's major sign..
Players are done with this coaching staff.
I'm blown away McNeeley wants to come to this mess.
He can go anywhere..
Most likely we have to put up with Woodson one more...
But he'll be on notice!

Reactions: IU FAN IN W. NC
I don’t trust Dolson/Quinn with the men’s basketball team. Cignetti seems like a great hire though.
I am withholding judgment on this football coach until the end of his third season. We should be able to see a direction by then. Just as we can see the direction of Woodson and his staff now.

The Archie failure has a lot of people thinking hiring from a “mid-major” is below aus and stupid.

I am not sure who you are getting to come to IU without it being a mid-major or reclamation project (Beard) at this point.

If we are around top-5 NIL, I’d guess they need to see an opportunity to spend more on players here and therefore have a higher ceiling. That said, something is clearly off at IU (admin leadership, whatever caused us to suck for 30 years) that coaches must notice.

I don’t mind a mid-major hire (at least they have college bball experience!) we just have to get the fit right, which we didn’t with Archie.

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

Oxford or Bloomington? Football or basketball?

This thread is the first time I’ve seen (and been forced to think bout) the word “extension.” Good lord that’s frightening. I get the reasoning and it makes me almost want to throw up.

Reactions: bsmitty08
This thread is the first time I’ve seen (and been forced to think bout) the word “extension.” Good lord that’s frightening. I get the reasoning and it makes me almost want to throw up.
If Woodson was extended Dolson would lose his job due to heat from fans and donors.

The credibility of your post takes a significant "hit" when you say that there is ZERO CHANCE Woodson will be terminated based on wins and losses. IMHO, if next year is NOT significantly better than this year, the odds of CMW being replaced based on wins and losses goes up: it does NOT stay where it currently is.
With OSU, UL, and UM all likely to have openings this year Dolson absolutely has to move now. Waiting until next year could be catastrophic.

With the ACC in doubt an NIL rich spot will look really good. The ACC has some pretty decent coaches too. That’s just an example. Not saying that would happen.

Every time I see Dolson sitting next to the bench I get an urge to shove a cream pie in his face. He is a major reason for this disaster.
He got galaxy brain. Agree with Quinn to hire an NBA coach that doesn’t know college ball (and we found out also doesn’t prioritize modern efficient NBA shooting). Then make up the Thad oversight structure which was all pretend — Thad realized this and left. And act like Fife would make a difference. Total hail mary hire that predictably failed. And we’re IUBB, a school with big NIL and budget and great fans, we don’t need to take insane risks!

I would buy him out after this year. Blow this garbage up now and stop wasting time. Students only get 4 years and deserve a championship squad at least once. Interview Beard, May, Matta, and the coach at ISU. Bring in a whole new staff. If Dolson or Buckner screw up this hire terminate them as well.
You really think students deserve a championship squad? Perhaps folks should consider transferring to University of Connecticut. The Huskies have won five national championships since Indiana won their last banner in 1987. And the Huskies might hang another banner this season too.

With OSU, UL, and UM all likely to have openings this year Dolson absolutely has to move now. Waiting until next year could be catastrophic.
I agree, yet this is where IU typically errors. Major jobs will be available and once more IU will lose out on potential hires due to remaining complacent. Would love nothing more than for Woodson to resign tomorrow, yet I can’t imagine him stepping away on his own. I also can’t imagine Dolson showing him the door.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT