ADVERTISEMENT

New Doyle Indy Star column today is a doozie

IUbball_lifer

Freshman
Mar 31, 2019
It’s very critical of Woodson, and declares that there is no way that Woodson survives next year. Then he blames the IU fan base and the internet based media that covers the team. And he states that both are very large and toxic.

It’s very critical of Woodson, and declares that there is no way that Woodson survives next year. Then he blames the IU fan base and the internet based media that covers the team. And he states that both are very large and toxic.
I just read it. He nailed it. And of course this place isn't much better than Peegs. Basically the same, just probably smaller. And people on here will whine and cry that fans aren't the problem (they're not the only one...there are several). But we're the basketball version of Tennessee football fans. Toxic.

So is this one below.

barstoosports
It's a shit show to say the least. Keeping Woodson seems like a massive mistake especially in a coaching carousel that could have big names like Josh Schertz and Dusty May available. Now even if you keep Woodson and sold yourself on the fact he could save a season next year with his recruits like McNeeley is out the window. McNeeley's gone and it's bye bye season in Bloomington.
We touched on it on Picks Central, it's been a damn long time since Indiana has been elite. Sure Crean had a run as a 1 seed but they did absolute zero. The program has been debated if they lose their blue blood status and it's been so long of shitburger years that you can't help but think they should be removed from the coveted list. Weeks like this only back up that notion. Indiana stinks right now and anyone under 35 hasn't remembered them ever being good. Big time recruits are jumping ship, the coach is hanging on by a thread, they are changing over leadership like presidencies every 4 or so years someone else is taking the reigns. Archie Miller, then Woodson, who know's who's next. I do like the names available but nothing is a sure thing in this game, and they'll be taking over at a point where the program is at one of it's lowest points. Hard to sell recruits, boosters etc.
e0dd2acd3574679864cd76965aa5dce2.png

ADVERTISEMENT
It's a very interesting time in college basketball where it seems like the powerhouse programs will always be at the top of the food chain with NIL, the portal, tv deals etc. Indiana was once one of those teams you figured to be at the top of the board on all of it, and now they are in the middle of the pack (or worse the bottom) looking up. I'll close with this, Indiana is at a cross roads. They are either bottoming out, or they make the correct hire to finally fix the last 20 years of disaster. I have no idea which way it's going to go, but I think it's pretty clear we've seen enough of Woodson that he isn't the guy to save the program, and the quicker they pull the plug the better.

I just read it. He nailed it. And of course this place isn't much better than Peegs. Basically the same, just probably smaller. And people on here will whine and cry that fans aren't the problem (they're not the only one...there are several). But we're the basketball version of Tennessee football fans. Toxic.
We're no different than any other major program that has a history of high level play and success. The problem we have is all the other programs with a history like ours, have seen an appropriate amount of success in the last 30 years.

IU, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Villanova, Arizona, Louisville...THAT was our peer group until the mid/late 90s...UConn has forged their way in to that group. Since then, all of those schools have been appropriately successful versus their historical track record. We haven't. So we're pissed. But we're still at the games, and we're still here discussing it.

Everything else about our program has remained elite...NIL, facilities, ability to attract high level recruits...why, in the hell, should our fan base change their expectations?

We're no different than any other major program that has a history of high level play and success. The problem we have is all the other programs with a history like ours, have seen an appropriate amount of success in the last 30 years.
We are different in that we have been an average, at best, program for a couple of decades now. Schools that are elite In a particular sport don’t settle for crap performance year after year, making poor hire after poor hire.

It’s crazy to even talk about IU being a blue blood. Not even close. we beat 3 bad teams in a row and some fans are talking like we have accomplished something.

IU deserves what we get on the court because the people making the decisions are incompetent. That simple.

Why? bc he's talking about you? Kinda hurts huh? Have some self awareness my dude
If toxic means having high expectations, then yeah, your skin's going to burn when I touch you. Certainly the outcomes matter (winning) but it's also how we are winning or losing. This likely substantiates assumptions that all is not well behind closed doors with this team.

We are no different that ND football fans who haven't tasted a NC in about the same timeframe. We were and expect to be top 25 every year--that's not unreasonable.

Just when I think, despite not agreeing with you very often, that you're calm and measured, you say something like this.

You're talking about a group of 25 people on here, if that? Almost exclusively heard by no one else except themselves. And what exactly is it that's toxic?

I swear, anyone who says fans are the problem...

Doyel has lots of good points but IUs fanbase is no different than Kentucky, Kansas etc. Billy Gillipsie got like 2 years at Kentucky. If the shitshow that has gone on at IU for 25 years ever happened at Duke, Kansas Kentucky, Arizona, UConn, UNC - wait, this would never happen at these schools. It would never get past 4-5 years total. That's the problem. UConn had no problem firing alum Kevin Ollie. Carolina fired Matt Dougherty. The fanbase is passionate and can be over the top but the programs futility has been everlasting.

IU, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Villanova, Arizona, Louisville...THAT was our peer group until the mid/late 90s...UConn has forged their way in to that group. Since then, all of those schools have been appropriately successful versus their historical track record. We haven't. So we're pissed. But we're still at the games, and we're still here discussing it.

Everything else about our program has remained elite...NIL, facilities, ability to attract high level recruits...why, in the hell, should our fan base change their expectations?

IU basketball is more like Nebraska football. Lot of parallels but biggest similarity is poor coaching hires. Simple.

‘The reasonable man fan adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man fan persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man fan.’ - George Bernard Shaw

Reactions: kmathum
I am so f'ing tired of hearing complaints about the fanbase. BS! IU fans support this program FAR in excess of what the results and success have been. I heard an Iowa writer talking about how their attendance has dropped off and they are a game ahead of us in the B10 this year and finished a game behind us last year, so not like they've sucked. Just looked, their attendance is at 9,700, lower than their women I'm sure. Ask Doyle, the Hoosier Hysterics, Scott Dolson or anyone else who claims the fanbase is toxic, if they'd prefer that fans just not show up when we're bad, like they do virtually everywhere else? Fanatics is the price you pay (gladly!) at any program that cares about a particular program. Heck, I know tons of UNC fans down here and they're still not sold that Hubert is the guy and he's taken them to a National Championship game, and I recall going to see them during Doherty's first year (maybe Gutthridge's last) and I think there were about 12,000 fans there and at least 2,000 were Hoosiers, and they'd had 1-2 bad years.

The fanbase has zero to do with mess.
Has that clown read message boards from other fan bases?
This is all on Woodson and Buckner.
Running off Matta and Fife so quickly was a huge red flag with Woodson.
He has no business being a head coach at the college level.

The fanbase has zero to do with mess.
Has that clown read message boards from other fan bases?
This is all on Woodson and Buckner.
Running off Matta and Fife so quickly was a huge red flag with Woodson.
He has no business being a head coach at the college level.
Not only did they run fife off they sent out the word to rabjohns and other reporters to start trashing fife online. FIfe has not spoken but I am almost 100% certain there is far more the story if we ever got dane's side of things.

Not only did they run fife off they sent out the word to rabjohns and other reporters to start trashing fife online. FIfe has not spoken but I am almost 100% certain there is far more the story if we ever got dane's side of things.
I made a running list of Fife’s crimes all those years ago!

Look for all the things I compiled!

IU basketball is more like Nebraska football. Lot of parallels but biggest similarity is poor coaching hires. Simple.
The difference between Nebraska football v. Indiana basketball is opportunity/proximity to recruits and the amount of stars you need to have a successful program.

In other words, there is no excuse for Indiana to not be good. Not so sure about Nebraska in this day and age where the majority of top level football players are coming out of the Southeast or Texas. The ones that do come out of the Midwest, would you prefer Columbus, Ann Arbor, Madison, or Lincoln? Nebraska just doesn't have a very fertile recruiting base.

I say the fans have influence for certain. There is a good argument to be made that IU fans are loyal to a fault; keeping the revenue for IU flowing year after year despite the less than stellar entertainment value out on the floor. Just above .500 for IU basketball in any given year is totally unacceptable. This loyalty is taken for granted by the IU administration; do they even pay attention to attendance at other similarly performing programs? Did they notice the half-empty barn in Minnesota or all of the empty seats at Maryland? I traveled to Atlanta for the Auburn game (IU fans outnumbered Auburn and AU is less than 2 hours from ATL) only to watch IU get the snot stomped out of them; it was anything but competitive. Fix the program and the fans stop the negativity OR run the fans out of AH (and all of the other venues) and keep a broken basketball program in which AH looks like all the other comparable mediocre programs in the conference.

Why, because many of us think we should expect more from this program than the NIT? JFC!

I hate when these opinion columnists make it seem that it’s just IU’s fan base that is toxic. It comes with the territory when you have (had) a top program and large fan base. Remember when Gillespie was failing at UK or when Doherty was failing at UNC? Their fan bases were obnoxious. Same thing would happen at Kansas, too, if they EVER made a coaching hire error.

Reactions: Univee2
The fans in these sites are brutal but make up about 10% of the fan base IU fans have been incredible overall. Name another fan base that would still pack the joint and draw big ratings over this 25 year stretch.

Utter BS and nonsense.

Why is it that toxic fans don't affect UK at all from bringing in major talent every year? You think UNC fans were "chill" when Doherty was failing?

This is a tired and lame excuse.

If everybody acted like willdog, would Woodson somehow become elite overnight magically?

Once Mike Davis left the toxic fans behind, how did he do? He's been fired 3 more times since. Are the Detroit Mercy fans toxic as well?

How about Tom Crean? Were toxic Georgia fans why he failed miserably and was fired?

Is Archies problem at RI because of their toxic fans?

I'm also assuming that Woodson, Buckner, Isaiah, and Wittman all have failing NBA records due to the toxic fans holding them back. Surely had nothing to do with their elite coaching skills.

If anything, IU fans have not expected better from IU in the last two decades. IU fans have put up with so many shitty seasons that we are like abused spouses who are thankful we didn’t get beat today. People celebrate that Woodson got IU into the tournament two whole straight years. Some are ecstatic we have beaten 3 straight bad teams, McNeeley bails because IU is a train wreck and it’s the fan. Mkay.

Yea he’s not all wrong but the fans aren’t an issue.
Dysfunctional fan base is definitely a big part of the problem. I’m a former Hoosier captains son. I spent a large part of last 20 years living overseas and on my return I have been shocked with the state of dysfunction in our family. It’s getting hard to be a part of the negative shit show.

The difference between Nebraska football v. Indiana basketball is opportunity/proximity to recruits and the amount of stars you need to have a successful program.

In other words, there is no excuse for Indiana to not be good. Not so sure about Nebraska in this day and age where the majority of top level football players are coming out of the Southeast or Texas. The ones that do come out of the Midwest, would you prefer Columbus, Ann Arbor, Madison, or Lincoln? Nebraska just doesn't have a very fertile recruiting base.

Good points made.

Dysfunctional fan base is definitely a big part of the problem. I’m a former Hoosier captains son. I spent a large part of last 20 years living overseas and on my return I have been shocked with the state of dysfunction in our family. It’s getting hard to be a part of the negative shit show.
It's not dysfunctional fans It's dysfunctional leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT