ADVERTISEMENT

Negative recruiting

wawasee

All-Big Ten
Oct 16, 2001
Hearing whispers that a school north of us is using negative recruiting against Archie. Telling recruits that he is isn't building his roster for success..And they are.. Just a fyi

Hearing whispers that a school north of us is using negative recruiting against Archie. Telling recruits that is isn't building his roster for success..And they are.. Just a fyi
More specifics, please. "Whispers"? Which recruits? I would be happy to pass the information on to IU Athletics.

Hearing whispers that a school north of us is using negative recruiting against Archie. Telling recruits that he is isn't building his roster for success..And they are.. Just a fyi
Lol, if it's Izzo just bring up the victims...

Reactions: ufo33
So Izzo is getting desperate. I like that. Hey TJD and Brooks, did you see the Freshman and Sophomore guards playing against Marquette last night who had 13 assists between them? How nice would it be to know that anytime one of those guys is in the game, they are looking to get you the ball in a position to actually do something with it? Got the talent and need to showcase your skills? Ask how the guy who dropped 22 feels about Miller. Bigs not getting that development? Ask Morgan and Fitzner, each scoring in double figures, how Miller's system has given them the freedom to attack from any spot on the court that they are capable of providing from.

Not being built for success is a joke. If that whiny bitch from Molestation State is going to negatively recruit, he should at least try and come up with something that has at least a kernel of truth.

Now, now Crazy, that's not nice....yeah, I know. Izzo can coach but I have always been less than a fan. He is like the Coach K of the Big. Yeah he can coach but that media image he has is a facade.

There is a Dark Cloud over the MSU basketball program as they have buried sexual assault cases for years. It is a systemic problem at MSU, if more came out then Izzo would be gone. Why would anyone commit to a school with a history that is very ugly at best, and a Athletic Department that has buried serious sexual abuse cases for years? Honestly I am surprised Izzo has so far escaped any penalties or punishment. Lansing is not a safe city to live in, especially if you are a female at MSU.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/michigan-states-sexual-assault-problem-isnt-limited-to-nassar/

Last edited:
So Izzo is getting desperate. I like that. Hey TJD and Brooks, did you see the Freshman and Sophomore guards playing against Marquette last night who had 13 assists between them? How nice would it be to know that anytime one of those guys is in the game, they are looking to get you the ball in a position to actually do something with it? Got the talent and need to showcase your skills? Ask how the guy who dropped 22 feels about Miller. Bigs not getting that development? Ask Morgan and Fitzner, each scoring in double figures, how Miller's system has given them the freedom to attack from any spot on the court that they are capable of providing from.

Not being built for success is a joke. If that whiny bitch from Molestation State is going to negatively recruit, he should at least try and come up with something that has at least a kernel of truth.

Now, now Crazy, that's not nice....yeah, I know. Izzo can coach but I have always been less than a fan. He is like the Coach K of the Big. Yeah he can coach but that media image he has is a facade.

Huh. When I read "school north of us" I thought that was Eastern Michigan or somebody ....

It's a given all schools paint a picture that their program is perfect for the recruit while the competing school/coach lacks something. Is that negative recruiting? Or are we talking about something more diabolical?

Over the years I've read many posts about negative recruiting but they are rarely specific. You seldom get the name of the school, let alone the name of the person doing it or what they actually said. It is left to the imagination.

What exactly can they say about Archie Miller and IU that is not common knowledge? Are there spies from other schools on campus going through the trash? Then reverse it. Do other coaches bring up the MSU scandal every time they talk to recruits, and is that wrong?

I'm just not sure how talking down the other program helps you in today's media-savvy society. There are few secrets these kids cannot find out with a quick google search. Either way, anyone can see the improvement in IU's recruiting and the improvement on the court. Hard to turn it into a negative.

Reactions: IUgradman and ufo33
Izzo is scared of IU rising back to the top as the flagship Basketball program in the B1G. But he knows there's nothing he can do about it, and he's much closer to retirement than Archie, so it will continue after Izzo is long gone and retired. Out with the old. In with the new!

Last edited:
Izzo is scared of IU rising back to the top as the flagship Basketball program in the B1G. But he knows there's nothing he can do about it, and he's much closer to retirement than Archie, so it will continue as Izzo is long gone and retired. Out with the old. In with the new!
This, it's why he always spoke so highly of Crean, he wanted us to be stuck with him.

A convincing win against Marquette and a good road win at Arkansas would serve to make any claim made against us look like the lie it actually is.

I'm sure every coach tries to elevate their program while making other programs inferior in some way. The recruits likely recognize it for what it is. Claims like that might actually work against the coach that made it.

Recruiting is the same as political campaigning, "those guys suck so choose our school instead." I'm older but I don't like the mud slinging, tell me what you can do for the good of all involved and don't even bring up another school (or politician.)

Reactions: Upset Alert
This, it's why he always spoke so highly of Crean, he wanted us to be stuck with him.
Brooks has quite a few options with some very
good programs. I'm hoping for the best possible
situation for him. I also feel that a blue blood
will ink him as soon as they figure out who is
leaving at their equivalent position this year.

Last edited:
Negative recruiting is expected. Not sure why this would be a surprise. If the sleeping giant wakes up at IU then other schools will have a harder time poaching Indiana kids. Just wait until we start kicking B1G ass. Game on! Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: ufo33
giphy.gif

Reactions: getalife midlife

They are implying more that that...just ask new pal boiler, arch or Twindegrees.

Word is that Brooks has cancelled his OV to Sparty

I've always thought Brooks would eventually be deciding between IU and UK. Never saw him going to Sparty. Now TJD to Sparty seems more plausible. I still think he chooses IU, but Sparty must've made up enough ground with him to get him to delay his commitment until the spring.

I've always thought Brooks would eventually be deciding between IU and UK. Never saw him going to Sparty. Now TJD to Sparty seems more plausible. I still think he chooses IU, but Sparty must've made up enough ground with him to get him to delay his commitment until the spring.
He didn't delay his commitment only the signing. He's deciding this coming month.

I've always thought Brooks would eventually be deciding between IU and UK. Never saw him going to Sparty. Now TJD to Sparty seems more plausible.

Can't see this.

MSU and Duke are fighting over Carey and Stewart - IMHO one of them goes to one school, the other to the other. And Hall already is in at MSU.

If you're Trayce, what do you want to do? Go to Sparty which will have either Carey or Stewart in the post and Hall? Or come to IU?

As mentioned earlier, Brooks cancelled his OV to East Lansing this weekend. I'll go on record right now: we get BOTH KB and TJD. Book it.

Negativity works very well in politics. Here in AZ pretty much all off the ads I saw and heard were completely negative about the candidates opponent. It's done since it works to make them look better by making the competition look worse. I imagine recruiting is similar although the recruiters would occasionally have to also talk about themselves. Create doubt about the other schools to sway the recruit to your school.

There is a Dark Cloud over the MSU basketball program as they have buried sexual assault cases for years. It is a systemic problem at MSU, if more came out then Izzo would be gone. Why would anyone commit to a school with a history that is very ugly at best, and a Athletic Department that has buried serious sexual abuse cases for years? Honestly I am surprised Izzo has so far escaped any penalties or punishment. Lansing is not a safe city to live in, especially if you are a female at MSU.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/michigan-states-sexual-assault-problem-isnt-limited-to-nassar/
Why would anybody with half a brain listen to something that absurd? Can't say I'm happy about it but IU looks pretty damn good so far. And truthfully why would any parent allow their kid to attend a school with all those issues? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
If either of these fine young guys were my son,I would interject my feelings to them on a coach that would continue to play 2 players that molested/raped a girl at MSU just so he could pad his win total.Is that whom you would respect playing for? I hope not. This isn't negative,it's based on facts.Big difference. Izzo knows he is in twilight of his career. He must be real proud how Draymond handles his attitude in NBA. Great teacher of character there,Tom.Izzo,Coach k AND Roy need to retire and give others a decent shot at glory for those programs. They have made enough money and fame to live off of.

C3PO I mean ARCB says Brooks to UCLA. It's over.
Of course he did, starting to sound like we're going to get both. Good lord we would be loaded.

Imagine this lineup

Rob
Green (or Romeo if god forbid he came back)
Keion
Smith
TJD

Reactions: ROBBOB
Of course he did, starting to sound like we're going to get both. Good lord we would be loaded.

Imagine this lineup

Rob
Green (or Romeo if god forbid he came back)
Keion
Smith
TJD

And maybe Romeo would come back for one more year with that type of line-up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT