ADVERTISEMENT

Need to step up NIL

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
Losing top recruits to UConn, Kansas and Duke stings, but who can blame those recruits based on recent history of program success. So, if Woody can’t beat ‘em….out pay them by a significant amount. Fingers crossed on Mullins but I wouldn’t bet on him being a Hoosier. Hope I’m wrong.

We’ve got somewhere around top-5 NIL resources for bball. Thankfully we have two huge donors and fans that give a lot. That’s obviously plenty for an elite roster.

Long high school recruitments have been a struggle, but the portal was very good last spring. We’ll see if it translates into serious winning here soon.

Losing top recruits to UConn, Kansas and Duke stings, but who can blame those recruits based on recent history of program success. So, if Woody can’t beat ‘em….out pay them by a significant amount. Fingers crossed on Mullins but I wouldn’t bet on him being a Hoosier. Hope I’m wrong.
Those schools pay well and win. We need to win

I’m iffy on Woody, and clearly if IU doesn’t have a very successful season this year Woody’s seat will be hot. But, IU is making the shortlist for top recruits which says Woody isn’t the issue per se. Winning big would be great but how does that happen without top talent, and to get top talent IU needs to be prepared to outpay other schools.

I’m iffy on Woody, and clearly if IU doesn’t have a very successful season this year Woody’s seat will be hot. But, IU is making the shortlist for top recruits which says Woody isn’t the issue per se. Winning big would be great but how does that happen without top talent, and to get top talent IU needs to be prepared to outpay other schools.
We make the shortlist because we are a big program with a lot of NIL. When we don’t close Woody is the issue. Either what he is selling isn’t working or our poor results last year are a problem (that’s his fault too).

How big of an issue it is missing on these high school kids is TBD. We may do okay being portal heavy. Maybe not.

This staff has all the resources they need to succeed, and then some. They need to go do it.

Last edited:
We make the shortlist because we are a big program with a lot of NIL. When we don’t close Woody is the issue. Either what he is selling isn’t working or our poor results last year are a problem (that’s his fault too).

How big of an issue it is missing on these high school kids is TBD. We may do okay being portal heavy. Maybe not.

This staff has all these resources they beee to succeed, and then some. They need to go do it.
It does seem odd he doesn’t do well with long term high school recruitments.

Reactions: YOTHN
It does seem odd he doesn’t do well with long term high school recruitments.
He has the NBA mentality unsurprisingly. Portal recruiting now is like free agency and that is where Woodson usually does well. Plus the late high school recruit decommits in the spring. Anything requiring prolonged effort he struggles with because he is lazy.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
Woodson can't recruit we need a recruiter on the staff hell Crean landed 5 stars.. Thank God for NIL or Woodson would have already been done.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
Oh he was on the hot seat last year. There's a lot of hopes and wishes with Woody but not a lot to hang your hat on. I'm hoping this group he has comes through this year and they very well may. If not, he's failed at success on the court, in the portal and now failing with HS recruits. That doesn't leave much reason for optimism going forward, no matter who he gets in the portal.

All of you guys are whining, naysayers. CMW lost to ****** Conn, which has won the last 2 NCAA's. We got Sisley you win some, you lose some. He is not lazy but e all know what that means. CMW has done well in the portal. He is still working with other recruits. Lets just cheer for the Hoosiers.

• Haha
All of you guys are whining, naysayers. CMW lost to ****** Conn, which has won the last 2 NCAA's. We got Sisley you win some, you lose some. He is not lazy but e all know what that means. CMW has done well in the portal. He is still working with other recruits. Lets just cheer for the Hoosiers.
What you say if or when Mullins chooses UConn? Woody hasn’t done well recruiting high school kids. Portal is where he can just pay for free agents. We will see if he builds a culture and a team this year. If he does I will eat crow and assume he has Iu going in right direction. If we look like last year…he needs to go.

What you say if or when Mullins chooses UConn? Woody hasn’t done well recruiting high school kids. Portal is where he can just pay for free agents. We will see if he builds a culture and a team this year. If he does I will eat crow and assume he has Iu going in right direction. If we look like last year…he needs to go.
Are high school recruits not free agents that are paid NIL? They're not committed anywhere and they push for the highest NIL offer, just like the portal players.

Reactions: hozo4ultimate
Are high school recruits not free agents that are paid NIL? They're not committed anywhere and they push for the highest NIL offer, just like the portal players.
Not necessarily, some yes but most the kids start getting recruited as freshman and sophomores and these coaches have established relationships with the kids and family.

Woodson can't recruit we need a recruiter on the staff hell Crean landed 5 stars.. Thank God for NIL or Woodson would have already been done.
There is recruiters on the staff, but at the end of the day players want to hear it from and connect with the Head dude.

Not necessarily, some yes but most the kids start getting recruited as freshman and sophomores and these coaches have established relationships with the kids and family.
Recruiting timelines are different, but these HS kids are free agents that will almost always require NIL close to their market rate.

You mean he lost ANOTHER kid to UConn. You act like this is the first recruit he's lost. Remember Liam or did you already forget? There's a long list of players he's lost just like you have a long list of excuses. Stop being an apologist for failure, it's an ugly look.

Recruiting timelines are different, but these HS kids are free agents that will almost always require NIL close to their market rate.
NIL is a big part in high level recruits but guys still want relationship with the coach and a staff that will develop them.

You mean he lost ANOTHER kid to UConn. You act like this is the first recruit he's lost. Remember Liam or did you already forget? There's a long list of players he's lost just like you have a long list of excuses. Stop being an apologist for failure, it's an ugly look.
Also recently lost to Notre Dame, and last year Maryland. But again, in my view we need to see how this season goes and the spring portal. Too early to tell. We did just have what appears to be a very good portal haul + Bryson.

Except portal recruits are older, wiser and with a proven market value. The recruiting world has evolved and people are understandably skeptical of CMW's strategy. He built a roster this season and gets a chance to compete. We all get to watch and see what happens.

Getting bent about 5 stars going to UCONN right now is sort of silly.

Also recently lost to Notre Dame, and last year Maryland. But again, in my view we need to see how this season goes and the spring portal. Too early to tell. We did just have what appears to be a very good portal haul + Bryson.
I agree. I said that earlier as well. I'm hoping the team comes out and rocks it. That would give at least some credence he either can use the portal well and/or coach up the team. In either case, in the end, winning is the only thing that matters. That's it.

Except portal recruits are older, wiser and with a proven market value. The recruiting world has evolved and people are understandably skeptical of CMW's strategy. He built a roster this season and gets a chance to compete. We all get to watch and see what happens.

Getting bent about 5 stars going to UCONN right now is sort of silly.
It's not about getting bent because IU lost one recruit. IU has lost many recruits and the issue is we a lack of any success on the court. It's one thing if we went to a final four and had a B1G title.....we dont.....AND we're continually losing out on a lot of recruits. To pretend that's not concerning is sort of silly.

Keep telling yourself Woodson is a good coach if it wasn't for doners he would be putting a team with Ball State talent on the floor. He is a lazy ass recruiter who would rather golf and hang with Quinn and have them spend money on guys in the portal.

A gorgeous campus, a solid fan base, some dusty tradition, way hotter co-Ed’s than all other state schools, and a better valued degree than some. 18 year old kids can hardly recall us in Sweet Sixteen, and well Woody hasn’t sniffed it either. I don’t begrudge kids heading to play for Hurley. He’s a great coach and we do not have one at present, either as he is too old to work hard or he just doesn’t have it in him. Next…..

Reactions: bsmitty08
Close to home is the only thing we have going for us with Mullins. Imagine having full staff in homes with our staff then have UConns staff come in and breakdown their offense and where you fit I it. Then Dan Hurley tells you that you'll only be in a college a year if you come there. It makes you wonder what he told Darius Adam's though.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Keep telling yourself Woodson is a good coach if it wasn't for doners he would be putting a team with Ball State talent on the floor. He is a lazy ass recruiter who would rather golf and hang with Quinn and have them spend money on guys in the portal.
There was nothing lazy about Mullins recruitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT