ADVERTISEMENT

Need to step up NIL

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
Losing top recruits to UConn, Kansas and Duke stings, but who can blame those recruits based on recent history of program success. So, if Woody can’t beat ‘em….out pay them by a significant amount. Fingers crossed on Mullins but I wouldn’t bet on him being a Hoosier. Hope I’m wrong.

We’ve got somewhere around top-5 NIL resources for bball. Thankfully we have two huge donors and fans that give a lot. That’s obviously plenty for an elite roster.

Long high school recruitments have been a struggle, but the portal was very good last spring. We’ll see if it translates into serious winning here soon.

Losing top recruits to UConn, Kansas and Duke stings, but who can blame those recruits based on recent history of program success. So, if Woody can’t beat ‘em….out pay them by a significant amount. Fingers crossed on Mullins but I wouldn’t bet on him being a Hoosier. Hope I’m wrong.
Those schools pay well and win. We need to win

Reactions: Bippy and SRIV94
I’m iffy on Woody, and clearly if IU doesn’t have a very successful season this year Woody’s seat will be hot. But, IU is making the shortlist for top recruits which says Woody isn’t the issue per se. Winning big would be great but how does that happen without top talent, and to get top talent IU needs to be prepared to outpay other schools.

I’m iffy on Woody, and clearly if IU doesn’t have a very successful season this year Woody’s seat will be hot. But, IU is making the shortlist for top recruits which says Woody isn’t the issue per se. Winning big would be great but how does that happen without top talent, and to get top talent IU needs to be prepared to outpay other schools.
We make the shortlist because we are a big program with a lot of NIL. When we don’t close Woody is the issue. Either what he is selling isn’t working or our poor results last year are a problem (that’s his fault too).

How big of an issue it is missing on these high school kids is TBD. We may do okay being portal heavy. Maybe not.

This staff has all the resources they need to succeed, and then some. They need to go do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: YOTHN and IUgradman
We make the shortlist because we are a big program with a lot of NIL. When we don’t close Woody is the issue. Either what he is selling isn’t working or our poor results last year are a problem (that’s his fault too).

How big of an issue it is missing on these high school kids is TBD. We may do okay being portal heavy. Maybe not.

This staff has all these resources they beee to succeed, and then some. They need to go do it.
It does seem odd he doesn’t do well with long term high school recruitments.

Reactions: YOTHN
It does seem odd he doesn’t do well with long term high school recruitments.
He has the NBA mentality unsurprisingly. Portal recruiting now is like free agency and that is where Woodson usually does well. Plus the late high school recruit decommits in the spring. Anything requiring prolonged effort he struggles with because he is lazy.

Woodson can't recruit we need a recruiter on the staff hell Crean landed 5 stars.. Thank God for NIL or Woodson would have already been done.

Oh he was on the hot seat last year. There's a lot of hopes and wishes with Woody but not a lot to hang your hat on. I'm hoping this group he has comes through this year and they very well may. If not, he's failed at success on the court, in the portal and now failing with HS recruits. That doesn't leave much reason for optimism going forward, no matter who he gets in the portal.

In an odd way, I think Cignetti’s success will give Dolson more courage and street cred with the BOT to make a head coaching change if needed. I think Dolson will speak with a bolder, more confident voice if this season is a disappointment.

Reactions: apm1003
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT