ADVERTISEMENT

What should judges do/what is the law from the view of Hayek and Leoni

BradStevens

All-American
Sep 7, 2023
For @CO. Hoosier and @crazed_hoosier2 , you might enjoy this podcast and subject matter:

Hayek said he owed his theories regarding law to Leoni. Hayek and Leoni, these two economists say, thought that when a judge applied a law, he should not be looking for the original meaning of that law's language as of the time of its passage (originalism) but instead the expected behavior or expectations of people in the particular situation at issue, in the given geographical and economic positions. Very interesting and very different than what we typically think of as a judge's job here in the US, but within it are some really interesting insights.

I'd also suggest this article comparing and contrasting Posner to Hayek. Posner, too, was a critic of originalism and a proponent of (some would say the primary creator of) the Law & Economics movement:

Only for you, Bulk:

selma-hayek.jpg

tea-leoni-self-assingment-june-30-2014.jpg

Hayek bump

image.png
I remember a joke from a stand-up comic in the early 90s. He said:

“Don’t you hate it when your wife asks you if another woman is beautiful? Why do they do that? Do they really want the truth? I just hope she doesn't ask me about Madonna. Because I might just have to be truthful: Honey, she is so hot I would fvck her right now. In front of you. On this kitchen table."

I feel that way about Salma Hayek.

Last edited:
I remember a joke from a stand-up comic in the early 90s. He said:

“Don’t you hate it when your wife asks you if another woman is beautiful? Why do they do that? Do they really want the truth? I just hope she doesn't ask me about Madonna. Because I might just have to be truthful: Honey, she is so hot I would fvck her right now. In front of you. On this kitchen table."

I feel that way about Selma Hayek.
She's always been hot, but like Elizabeth Hurley, she's somehow gotten hotter as she ages. Unfortunately, we're probably going to see the downward slide shortly, but until then - Larga vida a Selma!

For @CO. Hoosier and @crazed_hoosier2 , you might enjoy this podcast and subject matter:

Hayek said he owed his theories regarding law to Leoni. Hayek and Leoni, these two economists say, thought that when a judge applied a law, he should not be looking for the original meaning of that law's language as of the time of its passage (originalism) but instead the expected behavior or expectations of people in the particular situation at issue, in the given geographical and economic positions. Very interesting and very different than what we typically think of as a judge's job here in the US, but within it are some really interesting insights.

I'd also suggest this article comparing and contrasting Posner to Hayek. Posner, too, was a critic of originalism and a proponent of (some would say the primary creator of) the Law & Economics movement:

That’s pretty interesting, in theory. But I think their discussion about some kind of unified theory of law is futile. There are simply too many kinds law that serve different purposes. I don’t know any more about Hayek’s theory law now than before.

Some laws are not intended to address individual behavior. Other laws are heavily weighted to that. In applying law to commercial transactions, the courts do consider the expectations of the people because intent of the parties is often an important consideration.

That’s pretty interesting, in theory. But I think their discussion about some kind of unified theory of law is futile. There are simply too many kinds law that serve different purposes. I don’t know any more about Hayek’s theory law now than before.

Some laws are not intended to address individual behavior. Other laws are heavily weighted to that. In applying law to commercial transactions, the courts do consider the expectations of the people because intent of the parties is often an important consideration.
First, this was just a cover for pics of Salma. You can't post here without including one. jk

Second, on your last point, I read them as saying Hayek thinks the judge should be looking at the expectations not as of the time of the signing of the K, but at the time of the breach (which would also bring in consideration of their initial intent, I guess).

Third, I think you're probably right about the complexity of purpose behind different law and the inability to develop a unifying, comprehensive theory (very old school conservative opinion). But I thought it interesting to think that a perfect legal system would have no legislation, but instead just judge made law because judges are better able to handle the dispute "on the ground" and so they act more like decentralized prices and so better capable of processing information.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT