ADVERTISEMENT

Name of segregationist Ora Wildermuth stripped from IU gym

There is a subtle difference between changing the name on a building and blowing it up.

That is not what ISIS did to which I'm referencing. Each town they entered they removed historic statues, name-plates, differing religious symbols, destroyed entire museums, etc...They removed anything that opposed their viewpoint from history.

Last edited:
1948 was 70 years ago. The dude was what 66 years old. He lived in a different era. The folks who got his named removed could use their bandwidth better.

What's next? Will George Washington have to vacate his title as as the 1st president of the US? He owned slaves right? Will the Washington monument soon be renamed the Kaepernick monument?
Here is politically correct in Indiana in 1930:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mar..._AUIEigC&biw=768&bih=922#imgrc=S9nYpwTN34BJMM

Has absolutely nothing to do with values - inevitable result of math & genetics. You know, those fake news/science kinds of things.

You are partially correct..

1+1= 2 or maybe 4, vs. 1+1= 8 or maybe 20.

And I'm sure are an expert in the are of fake news.

You are partially correct..

1+1= 2 or maybe 4, vs. 1+1= 8 or maybe 20.

And I'm sure are an expert in the are of fake news.

Sounds as if you're either drunk, stupid or both.

US will become 'minority white' around 2040, i.e., less than half of the population. Welcome to try and spin that anyway you like.

So you are saying nearly 100 years later that this Ora dude was responsible for the these lynchings in 30's. OK.
No. But taking the name off is a "make-up" reflecting cultural evolution. It is a reflection of the change in time and attitude. Today we honor George Taliaferro who was playing at IU 25 years before the SEC integrated. IU was a leader in integration in athletics and that deserves to be embraced. Wildermuth is long deceased. Changing the name reflects a desire to move forward - not to punish him or his family.

Sure it is a sensitive topic. But to embrace the worst part of our culture because it his historically accurate is a means of denial. It reminds me of the platitudes spoken about mob bosses who were kind to everyone other than their enemies to whom they were ruthless.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
Sounds as if you're either drunk, stupid or both.

US will become 'minority white' around 2040, i.e., less than half of the population. Welcome to try and spin that anyway you like.

Nope, not drunk, nor stupid.
Many times I think the same about you.

I understand the point you are making, & I agree, but we both know why.
Between open borders & a careless attitude towards a runaway birthrate in certain sectors of our society, it is inevitable.
And you are welcome to try and spin that. (& you are indeed good at spinning)

Nope, not drunk, nor stupid.
Many times I think the same about you.

I understand the point you are making, & I agree, but we both know why.
Between open borders & a careless attitude towards a runaway birthrate in certain sectors of our society, it is inevitable.
And you are welcome to try and spin that. (& you are indeed good at spinning)

WHAT........THE.........F*&K.........

Do you even know what you said here?

Hey, dumbass, what if you were in "certain sectors of society"?

How about this "spinning".

Just because you are a white man doesn't give you special rights in this country.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...muth-stripped-iu-gym-college-says/1539046002/

Ironic that Ora didn't live to see his family name honored and then subsequently disgraced. Ain't karma a riot.

total and complete clusterfk by IU on this whole mess.

IU knew of the PR blow back regarding Wildermuth that was coming when they tried to add Bill Garrett's name to the fieldhouse, but they just couldn't let go of Wildermuth's name on it as well, because he was a trustee at one time.

should have just renamed it after Garrett, and ditched the Wildermuth ticking time bomb at the time.

since they are dropping Wildermuth now, would seem a real head scratcher to not just go back to honoring Bill Garrett, but perhaps IU is too butthurt for that, or sees a chance to sell the name.

on a side note, did more than 10 people in the entire universe, (the ones who read the plaque), know that fieldhouse carried Wildermuth's name in the first place, till the whole Bill Garrett thing.

has anyone, ever, in history, actually called it Wildermuth Fieldhouse in conversation.

on another side note, hope this HPER guy doesn't have any skeletons in his closet.

will always be my favorite building on campus.

WHAT........THE.........F*&K.........

Do you even know what you said here?

Hey, dumbass, what if you were in "certain sectors of society"?

How about this "spinning".

Just because you are a white man doesn't give you special rights in this country.

I completely understand what I said, & I stand by it.
You calling me names doesn't bother me in the least.

BTW, How do you know I'm a white man?
Many people of color agree with me.

Sounds like you are the racist.

total and complete clusterfk by IU on this whole mess.

IU knew of the PR blow back regarding Wildermuth that was coming when they tried to add Bill Garrett's name to the fieldhouse, but they just couldn't let go of Wildermuth's name on it as well, because he was a trustee at one time.

should have just renamed it after Garrett, and ditched the Wildermuth ticking time bomb at the time.

since they are dropping Wildermuth now, would seem a real head scratcher to not just go back to honoring Bill Garrett, but perhaps IU is too butthurt for that, or sees a chance to sell the name.

Oh I don't know, though you seem set on making a spectacle of it. "Ticking time bomb"? How dramatic and incendiary, but you left out the part about the victims. Because there aren't any.

Come down. Simply not really anything to the 'event' itself, a bit of petty/imagined buttheurtedness by way of response notwithstanding. And some righteous overlordliness from the sympathetic. :D

In any case, no pooches were screwed, reckon everyone'll survive. It's done. Nothing to see. Go back to your lives. Go IU!

By the way, IU's first game is in almost only three weeks. Nappy heads (Jake/Romeo), retreads (Fitz, Zach, DD, DG, JW & AD), dreads (Damezi!), and the soon to be dread (Race, Clifton, Jerome, Phinisee). Bring it.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Unlike the genocide, slavery, indentured servitude, segregation and sexism that informed so much of its very creation. That political and still somewhat aspirational correctness you despise is the very "teaching and thinking" embodied in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution - as you doubtless imagine yourself to be a true patriot it's ironic that you view them as synonymous with ruin.
Wrong! Political correctness, no matter whether you agree with most or all of it's tenants, has become a cancer that has infiltrated the vast majority of our colleges and universities undermining the very essence of these institutions, which is academic freedom! According to the political correctness philosophy, no one is allowed to disagree or even question the politically correct position. This is exactly the same crap that Galileo had to deal with with the Church. Now, when there is a topic for which Political Correctness claims jurisdiction over, no professor or academic can afford to question or even discuss the pros and cons. It's an absolute travesty that won't be resolved soon because careers can be stalled or even ruined with such questioning. I am so frustrated that the academic community has not risen up to assert their institutions' values and their own academic freedom rights. Sad, very sad! (Had to add a little humor since I'm getting a bit too serious here.)

Wrong! Political correctness, no matter whether you agree with most or all of it's tenants, has become a cancer that has infiltrated the vast majority of our colleges and universities undermining the very essence of these institutions, which is academic freedom! According to the political correctness philosophy, no one is allowed to disagree or even question the politically correct position. This is exactly the same crap that Galileo had to deal with with the Church. Now, when there is a topic for which Political Correctness claims jurisdiction over, no professor or academic can afford to question or even discuss the pros and cons. It's an absolute travesty that won't be resolved soon because careers can be stalled or even ruined with such questioning. I am so frustrated that the academic community has not risen up to assert their institutions' values and their own academic freedom rights. Sad, very sad! (Had to add a little humor since I'm getting a bit too serious here.)
Post a personal example of how an ever shifting talking point with no real definition has oppressed you or made it so you could not communicate effectively. fwiw - The examples you cite in your post are pure rationalized bull sh*t. Galileo? lmao ...

Last edited:
... According to the political correctness philosophy... ...Now, when there is a topic for which Political Correctness claims jurisdiction over...

I've looked around for the official "political correctness philosophy" and have yet to find it. Could you enlighten me? The closest I have found to the "official philosophy" is that old, damned golden rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's very subversive, I know.

And if you could introduce me to this Political Correctness person who claims jurisdiction over anything, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thank you.

Reactions: hondo314
I've looked around for the official "political correctness philosophy" and have yet to find it. Could you enlighten me? The closest I have found to the "official philosophy" is that old, damned golden rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's very subversive, I know.

And if you could introduce me to this Political Correctness person who claims jurisdiction over anything, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thank you.
Exactly. They hear this dog whistle talking point on their chosen entertainment news channel, can't define it because it's purposefully vague and subjective, , but parrot it anyways. Ever notice that the only people who concern themselves with being PC all come from the same exact demographic.

Bombast away! Hey Creek, wait for me.

No. But taking the name off is a "make-up" reflecting cultural evolution. It is a reflection of the change in time and attitude. Today we honor George Taliaferro who was playing at IU 25 years before the SEC integrated. IU was a leader in integration in athletics and that deserves to be embraced. Wildermuth is long deceased. Changing the name reflects a desire to move forward - not to punish him or his family.

Sure it is a sensitive topic. But to embrace the worst part of our culture because it his historically accurate is a means of denial. It reminds me of the platitudes spoken about mob bosses who were kind to everyone other than their enemies to whom they were ruthless.

What have they changed the name to again?

It’s very simple....

If a black man said the same things Ora did about whites, you would be up in arms. No matter what the “current thinking” was.

It’s all good. Your grand kids don’t care....

LOL. Thanks for that. Passing judgement on those you never met is another great use of bandwidth.

Reactions: IU Hardcore

Well put. Thank you

No, it’s not BS with respect to Oscar, just more nuanced than you might be able to appreciate. And there was no question regarding the response Branch had to BG. Not suggesting anything be done to rename MC, but these matters can ensnare many who don’t think them through fully. By the way, two men were largely responsible for the original naming of Wildermuth, and both were considered pioneers in forward thinking racial attitudes.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/big-o-remembers-1.260903

Last edited:
Exactly. They hear this dog whistle talking point on their chosen entertainment news channel, can't define it because it's purposefully vague and subjective, , but parrot it anyways. Ever notice that the only people who concern themselves with being PC all come from the same exact demographic.

This perfectly describes both Fox and MSNBC audiences

Reactions: namnik and sluggo69
Not about destroying history. About exercising judgement in deciding what is worthy of honor. Actual history can't be changed or destroyed - unlike how one chooses to remember/embrace it.

Its really not about the past so much as the future. And the now.

Assuming your question wasn't rhetorical, look into Mao's cultural (d)evolution if you'd like to see what real destruction looks like.
Isn't it just a matter of time before Columbus Day is no longer recognized? I would like to see Columbus, IN and Columbus, OH change their names in honor of someone more worthy. Let's not let this next generation of school kids be so duped.

How about that Romeo Langford? I think he might be pretty good!
Can’t wait for the season to start so you guys can stop comparing your junk.

Isn't it just a matter of time before Columbus Day is no longer recognized? I would like to see Columbus, IN and Columbus, OH change their names in honor of someone more worthy. Let's not let this next generation of school kids be so duped.
Just those two? Why not Columbus, Georgia? Kentucky? California? Mississippi? Missouri? Kansas? New Jersey? Minnesota? Illinois? Montana? Texas? Wisconsin? North Carolina? Nebraska? New York? New Mexico? Wisconsin (again; they have two!)? North Dakota?

I mean, if you're requiring perfection, let's be perfect by all means . . . maybe a US constitutional amendment prohibiting any cities or towns being named "Columbus".

Why stop there? Why not require Washington state, Washington, DC and all of the other towns named after George Washington to be renamed . . . after all, he was a slave owner. Why not require Virginia and Georgia to be renamed, since their names are derived from British monarchs who oppressed the US? Besides, Virginia is misleading . . . not that many virgins there anyway, especially with D.C. next door. Heck, New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey are all named after places in Britain; it's easy to see how someone could be offended by that. CHANGE THEM!!

And what about good old Indiana? It's not only potentially offensive to two ethnic groups, it's downright inaccurate.

And then there's abraxis . . . I bet there are a whole bunch of girls who were sexually assaulted, molested whatever while listening to an album with a similar name - Abraxas, pronounced the same as abraxis - by Santana. Maybe we ought to require you to change your Rivals handle . . . .

BTW, what's your hometown? I wanna see how offended I can get.

I could go on . . . but I actually have productive things to do.

Last edited:
Just those two? Why not Columbus, Georgia? Kentucky? California? Mississippi? Missouri? Kansas? New Jersey? Minnesota? Illinois? Montana? Texas? Wisconsin? North Carolina? Nebraska? New York? New Mexico? Wisconsin (again; they have two!)? North Dakota?

I mean, if you're requiring perfection, let's be perfect by all means . . . maybe a US constitutional amendment prohibiting any cities or towns being named "Columbus".

Why stop there? Why not require Washington state, Washington, DC and all of the other towns named after George Washington to be renamed . . . after all, he was a slave owner. Why not require Virginia and Georgia to be renamed, since their names are derived from British monarchs who oppressed the US? Besides, Virginia is misleading . . . not that many virgins there anyway, especially with D.C. next door. Heck, New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey are all named after places in Britain; it's easy to see how someone could be offended by that. CHANGE THEM!!

And what about good old Indiana? It's not only potentially offensive to two ethnic groups, it's downright inaccurate.

And then there's abraxis . . . I bet there are a whole bunch of girls who were sexually assaulted, molested whatever while listening to an album with a similar name - Abraxas, pronounced the same as abraxis - by Santana. Maybe we ought to require you to change your Rivals handle . . . .

BTW, what's your hometown? I wanna see how offended I can get.

I could to on . . . but I actually have productive things to do.

i get it, the myths are more pleasing than the reality. therefore we should just go with the myths, because they make for a better story.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
Again, why are naming cities and holidays after someone who killed and maimed thousands of indigenous folks? In the history books, we are told the lie that Columbus discovered America. How can you discover America when there were people already here literally thousands of years before.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Again, why are naming cities and holidays after someone who killed and maimed thousands of indigenous folks? In the history books, we are told the lie that Columbus discovered America. How can you discover America when there were people already here literally thousands of years before.

Try hundreds of thousands. As Governor of the Caribbean region he was a genocidal maniac. His son Diego succeeded him and helped organize the first Trans-Atlantic shipment of slaves once father and son efforts had all but exterminated the million+ natives within the region under Spanish control. F*ck Columbus.

History is written by the victors, and over-written by truth.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
Try hundreds of thousands. As Governor of the Caribbean region he was a genocidal maniac. His son Diego succeeded him and helped organize the first Trans-Atlantic shipment of slaves once father and son efforts had all but exterminated the million+ natives within the region under Spanish control. F*ck Columbus.

History is written by the victors, and over-written by truth.
129,000 innocent citizens of Japan were killed with two separate bombs at the request of Harry S. Truman. Japan celebrates that anniversary today with a day of remembrance. Think of our Columbus Day as a day of remembrance for those indigenous people killed if you need to feel better about the reason.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT