ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops4ALS

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
If you all wouldn't mind indulging me a bit, I'd like to share a little bit about a side project I've been working on. Don't worry, there isn't a catch here and there isn't any monetary ask, but I do think a lot of you will think this is pretty cool.

Some/most of you know my brother's story. He was an IU basketball manager from 1996-2000 and is currently battling ALS. There is no getting around how much that sucks. He's still going strong, but there really aren't any 'good' days. That sucks and my heart breaks for him and his family.

In summer of 2021 Andy and I connected with some other passionate ALS advocates to form Hoops4ALS. There is some overlap on our committee with the group that worked with MLB to create Lou Gehrig Day and our goal is similar to theirs: Build ALS Awareness through a basketball game, tournament, event, etc.

I'm the noted schlub of the group, but a lot of the people on our committee have brought in some pretty heavy hitters to our semi-regular zoom meetings. We're very likely going to get some Hoops4ALS games and tournament going (think Coaches vs Cancer), but that's going to take some time/doing. Knowing some of these folks will get you in the door, but actually navigating the schedule and working out the myriad of other logistics that go into it are something else. I'm happy/honored to help with that, but more talented people than me are working on it.

I guess there are few reasons for posting this. First, if you're so inclined, be sure to like/follow our instagram page and twitter feed. Right now I'm our social media coordinator by default and I am not too big to admit that I suck at it. If you have any suggestions on how to bring attention to this, I'm all ears. Our ultimate goal is a big, signature event, but I'm all ears for anything bringing attention to that leading up that.

Lastly, fellow Hoops4ALS committee member Tom Haberstroh put up this twitter thread earlier today. This is definitely giving us a pretty good shot in the arm this morning:

It would seem to be a natural fit to get Dusty May involved with this. Was he friends with your brother? He might have some pull to involve FAU in a televised game some time.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
It would seem to be a natural fit to get Dusty May involved with this. Was he friends with your brother? He might have some pull to involve FAU in a televised game some time.
Yep...he and Dusty are pretty tight. They were in the same class and were managers together for all 4 years. They were texting back and forth as recently as this past weekend.

We haven't approached Dusty yet, but likely will.

On a tangent, scroll to about the 1:56:55 mark of this video. It'd from senior night their senior year. He's saves my brother for last - you'll see why:

• Love
Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT