ADVERTISEMENT

N.W.A. vs Kiss ...

Who cares? -- Gene Simmons is a gazzillionnaire, and all of us are not.

Most of the tools on this board bought multiple albums or paid for concerts from a group that basically had no talent other than wearing silly-ass makeup, and screaming worthless tunes. And oh by the way, Simmons pulled any trim he wanted.

I wish I was that much of an idiot.

NWA is much more talented. Not even a contest. But I would rather be KISS/Gene Simmons back in the day

Ugh, you're a dumbass. You don't think Dre is rich or pulled trim? My gawd... what a dumb fking post. You're better than this.. well maybe not, you do listen to Taylor Swift. So... ugh ... yea.

Do you actually read posts before going on your diatribes? My point was that Simmons and his band are rich and get laid despite being talent-less hacks. Not that they get laid more than Dre.

Let me ask you this -- would you take Gene Simmons' career, or would that have made you a sell-out?

Leave my woman Taylor Swift out of this...

Do you actually read posts before going on your diatribes? My point was that Simmons and his band are rich and get laid despite being talent-less hacks. Not that they get laid more than Dre.

Let me ask you this -- would you take Gene Simmons' career, or would that have made you a sell-out?

Leave my woman Taylor Swift out of this...

We're talking about art, you're talking about money. One never justifies the other. I think that's in the art handbook page 1. If money justifies things. How much for your daughter? I probably don't have what you would want, but I'm sure we could get a pool together, to buy and share her.... so give me a price.

also, YOU listen to Taylor Swift, and like it. Ugh, yea.

who ya got.

I gotta side with NWA on this.

Kiss sucks.
Did you post this as some anti-troll troll post?

I took Little O to see Kiss in 2014. Halfway through the show, he asked me why Paul Stanley talked so much. I told him there was a LOT of time to fill between "Shout It Out Loud" (3rd song of the show) and "Rock 'n Roll All Nite."

Damn, man. You're not even in the right decade.

Eric B, EPMD, PE, De La, Tribe, BDP, DMC, etc.....

The 90s guys can't hang with them...
Any top 5 list without Rakim is a waste of time.

Any top 5 list without Rakim is a waste of time.

Lyrically...none of these dudes in the 90s or now hang with Rakim, Chuck D, KRS, Slick, Cube, DOC, etc. Hell, Funky 4 Plus One More, Treacherous Three, Flash, Doug E, Slick Rick, Herc, etc. are all way better too. But, they had to be. As pioneers, they had to be GOOD.

These days any fool who can speak/read can be a famous rapper so long as they have the right producers.

I mean...I hear how awesome Kanye is...and I don't deny he is a creative force....but he can't rap for shit. His lyrics suck! Neither can Jay Z, Puff and honestly 2 Pac never impressed me.

Biggie was good, though.

If we're gonna talk quality hip hop from the 90s, we're talking Cypress, De La, Pharcyde, Jurassic 5, Digable and a maybe a few more.

The rest is just the soundtrack for hip hop culture which dominates black and white youth - all show, no substance.

It's become pop music.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeConte
Damn, man. You're not even in the right decade.

Eric B, EPMD, PE, De La, Tribe, BDP, DMC, etc.....

The 90s guys can't hang with them...

That era sounds a little Dr Suess for me.

Lyrically...none of these dudes in the 90s or now hang with Rakim, Chuck D, KRS, Slick, Cube, DOC, etc. Hell, Funky 4 Plus One More, Treacherous Three, Flash, Doug E, Slick Rick, Herc, etc. are all way better too. But, they had to be. As pioneers, they had to be GOOD.

These days any fool who can speak/read can be a famous rapper so long as they have the right producers.

I mean...I hear how awesome Kanye is...and I don't deny he is a creative force....but he can't rap for shit. His lyrics suck! Neither can Jay Z, Puff and honestly 2 Pac never impressed me.

Biggie was good, though.

If we're gonna talk quality hip hop from the 90s, we're talking Cypress, De La, Pharcyde, Jurassic 5, Digable and a maybe a few more.

The rest is just the soundtrack for hip hop culture which dominates black and white youth - all show, no substance.

It's become pop music.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

I agree. I like some of the stuff, but it doesn't hold up very well.

Maybe the late 70s early 80s with all the "yes y'allin'" and "hip hop bang bang boogie to be" and Sugar Hill stuff....

But by 1983 or so that was all over.

There's a big difference between Funky 4 and Public Enemy, after all, not just in sound but in message.

Maybe the late 70s early 80s with all the "yes y'allin'" and "hip hop bang bang boogie to be" and Sugar Hill stuff....

There's a big difference between Funky 4 and Public Enemy, after all, not just in sound but in message.

You're getting my old Run DMC tapes for Festivus.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

I agree. I like some of the stuff, but it doesn't hold up very well.

I think the best rap albums ever were late 80s records:

Nation of Millions
Paul's Boutique
Yo Bum Rush
3 Feet High & Rising
People's Instinctive Paths
DOC
Easy Duz It
Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Strictly Biz
Paid In Full
Bigger/Deffer
Tougher than Leather
Raising Hell
Cactus Album

I mean, those are timeless gems any hip hop artist now (or in the 90s) adore.....

All of those records came out in a 2-3 year span, basically.

Yea, it's not as much the lyrics or any of that as it is the rhythms on the vocals, and how they interplayed with the music. fwiw - I'm not a lyrical listener, I'm am what's called a masculine ear ie I listen to the music far more than the vocals. not clownin just sayin'....i think of vocals as just another instrument throwin out notes and generally don't even care what they say but care more how they counter the musical melodies.

Too many repeated figures and unresolved verses in early rap, which is why I referenced Dr Seuss. The resolve is the how the measure gets back to key. Different styles handle it differently, but one of the final measures need to change, and then come back. (Scientific tests show that a resolve causes a release of endorphins in the listener.)

That's very general, there's always exceptions. This is too .. not arguing - just trying to explain my position.

Early Rap didn't do that. There was no turn or change on the final measures but instead the same repeated notes as previous, and then would repeat again, (they really didn't know what they were doing yet, they were still street performers) and musically there were very few counter rhythms or counter melodies to play off of. They both help create a groove.

I get ya though, those were the real innovators and groundbreakers, and rap is very vocally and lyrically based, the rest were just following but it took awhile for the musical composition, and especially arrangement, to catch up.

Dre and the 90's guys weren't pop, that came soon after. Kanye certainly is pop music, almost all present hip hop is. .

Yea, it's not as much the lyrics or any of that as it is the rhythms on the vocals, and how they interplayed with the music. fwiw - I'm not a lyrical listener, I'm am what's called a masculine ear ie I listen to the music far more than the vocals. not clownin just sayin'....i think of vocals as just another instrument throwin out notes and generally don't even care what they say but care more how they counter the musical melodies.

Too many repeated figures and unresolved verses in early rap, which is why I referenced Dr Seuss. The resolve is the how the measure gets back to key. Different styles handle it differently, but one of the final measures need to change, and then come back. (Scientific tests show that a resolve causes a release of endorphins in the listener.)

That's very general, there's always exceptions. This is too .. not arguing - just trying to explain my position.

Early Rap didn't do that. There was no turn or change on the final measures but instead the same repeated notes as previous, and then would repeat again, (they really didn't know what they were doing yet, they were still street performers) and musically there were very few counter rhythms or counter melodies to play off of. They both help create a groove.

I get ya though, those were the real innovators and groundbreakers, and rap is very vocally and lyrically based, the rest were just following but it took awhile for the musical composition, and especially arrangement, to catch up.

Dre and the 90's guys weren't pop, that came soon after. Kanye certainly is pop music, almost all present hip hop is. .

The lyrics weren't the reason I was drawn to rap, btw, rather the music, beats and samples...and attitude. Sorta like my affinity for punk.

But if we're talking "MC talent/lyrical skills"...I mean that is the essence of a rapper, no?...the old dudes rule, imo.

Truth be told, I never listen to hip hop any more but rarely. The stuff they sampled? All the time.

I think the best rap albums ever were late 80s records:

Nation of Millions
Paul's Boutique
Yo Bum Rush
3 Feet High & Rising
People's Instinctive Paths
DOC
Easy Duz It
Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Strictly Biz
Paid In Full
Bigger/Deffer
Tougher than Leather
Raising Hell
Cactus Album

I mean, those are timeless gems any hip hop artist now (or in the 90s) adore.....

All of those records came out in a 2-3 year span, basically.

Forgot Eazy Duz It was that early. Also produced by Dre... Maybe that should take The Chronic's spot as the dawn of 90's gangsta' rap. Either way, some of the songs on that album became more popular in retrospect which is why Eazy was remixing them and releasing them again on later 90's era albulms. Boyz n the Hood being a prime example. Ironically, each successive remix/version took more of that 90's Dre sound and had less of the fake record "scratching" sound effect in the background that was prevalent in 80s hip hop. Do you know when they released the video for that single? I'm genuinely curious. I couldn't find it online. My guess is it was closer to the movie than the release of the album.

The rest of those albums are hit and miss for me. Can't say I cared for them a bunch growing up. The 90's era gangsta rap almost glorified the lifestyle, the violence and the drugs. Those groups you name had an undercurrent of deliberate social awareness. Violence is bad... blah blah... here's some cool rhymes with Malcom X quotes set to a beat.... get an education.

Nothing wrong with that. It was good music too. But America took notice when little Johnny and Susie suburbanite started singing Ice T songs glorifying killing cops and Dre and Snoop songs about selling/doing drugs and pimping hoes. No social message. Their popularity was the social message. Just my $0.02

Reactions: jet812

Would you say that is a result of the evolution of equipment? Early 80s Roland 808,etc, (no ability to record/memory) mid 80's SP-12 the SP-1200, 90s AKAI MPC 60 then MPC 2000. Basically they had better equipment which gave them more ability to sample(steal)/arrange like "traditional" musicians. It seems like many people talk about hip hop sounding like kids music in the early to mid 80s, then it got better in the late 80s, then matured early to mid 90s. Coincidentally three major changes in equipment followed the same timeline, and then it seamed to drop off once artists started getting sued for using samples.

Btw I concede that I know jackchit about music theory/composition, etc. I'm not even trying to go there.

Would you say that is a result of the evolution of equipment? Early 80s Roland 808,etc, (no ability to record/memory) mid 80's SP-12 the SP-1200, 90s AKAI MPC 60 then MPC 2000. Basically they had better equipment which gave them more ability to sample(steal)/arrange like "traditional" musicians. It seems like many people talk about hip hop sounding like kids music in the early to mid 80s, then it got better in the late 80s, then matured early to mid 90s. Coincidentally three major changes in equipment followed the same timeline, and then it seamed to drop off once artists started getting sued for using samples.

Btw I concede that I know jackchit about music theory/composition, etc. I'm not even trying to go there.
Partly. It has to be part of it but they were also learning new techniques in recording, engineering, etc, plus learning more actual musical theory, and professionals started getting involved in the (production) process as they became a more serious form.

I think it had more to do with "teething pain", and just growing up musically. Same with punk, which started with people who had no training, and at times the music was completely structureless. They both found that some actual training and adherence to some rules was a good thing - just before they became pop music forms....

Forgot Eazy Duz It was that early. Also produced by Dre... Maybe that should take The Chronic's spot as the dawn of 90's gangsta' rap. Either way, some of the songs on that album became more popular in retrospect which is why Eazy was remixing them and releasing them again on later 90's era albulms. Boyz n the Hood being a prime example. Ironically, each successive remix/version took more of that 90's Dre sound and had less of the fake record "scratching" sound effect in the background that was prevalent in 80s hip hop. Do you know when they released the video for that single? I'm genuinely curious. I couldn't find it online. My guess is it was closer to the movie than the release of the album.

The rest of those albums are hit and miss for me. Can't say I cared for them a bunch growing up. The 90's era gangsta rap almost glorified the lifestyle, the violence and the drugs. Those groups you name had an undercurrent of deliberate social awareness. Violence is bad... blah blah... here's some cool rhymes with Malcom X quotes set to a beat.... get an education.

Nothing wrong with that. It was good music too. But America took notice when little Johnny and Susie suburbanite started singing Ice T songs glorifying killing cops and Dre and Snoop songs about selling/doing drugs and pimping hoes. No social message. Their popularity was the social message. Just my $0.02

I guess I'm partial to them b/c of their influence on me as a teen. PE etc made me think.

to each his own.

Boys in the hood came out on 12 inch in 1988 (in Indy). A black friend of mine named Leonard made dubs for all of us. I've never seen a video.

Reactions: FL33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT