ADVERTISEMENT

My starting 5.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I think we will go with Johnson and Stewart in the backcourt. Too much experience and athleticism there. Stewart gives you a deep threat and Johnson can score in many ways and defend up top.

Up front they’ll go with TJD obviously and probably Race with his experience and toughness in the paint.

The 5th guy, I believe will be Miller Kopp. He has a ton of Big Ten experience. He’s a wing shooter and floor spacer. And at 6”7 he gives us more length on the court.

I think that’s an extremely experienced starting 5 with different skillsets.

I think Bates and Durr are also candidates to start. Bates for his overall ability and Durr for his defense and rim protection ability.

I think we will go with Johnson and Stewart in the backcourt. Too much experience and athleticism there. Stewart gives you a deep threat and Johnson can score in many ways and defend up top.

Up front they’ll go with TJD obviously and probably Race with his experience and toughness in the paint.

The 5th guy, I believe will be Miller Kopp. He has a ton of Big Ten experience. He’s a wing shooter and floor spacer. And at 6”7 he gives us more length on the court.

I think that’s an extremely experienced starting 5 with different skillsets.

I think Bates and Durr are also candidates to start. Bates for his overall ability and Durr for his defense and rim protection ability.
Don't sleep on Rob 4.0. New coach is an opportunity to reinvent oneself - just ask Dane. And Bates is a freshman. Not likely he starts this year anymore than Lander last year.

All conjecture at this point, but what stands out to me is the depth - pick any five as starters, your quintet for instance, and that leaves Galloway, Geronimo, Lander, Leal, Phinisee, Bates, Durr, and Duncomb off the bench. Even with the potential for a couple of Players being sidelined in the usual/unfortunate event of back, ankle, etc. issues, not a Team that will be lacking for game.

Always a kick when the Season begins anew - moreso this year with as many as six new faces in the rotation. Add in the off-Season development among the veterans and hard not to expect a bit of magic/majesty on the Court.

Last edited:
yes, i really like our depth. we also can play much more of a situational sub pattern - including high % FT shooters to close out games. Also remember - Bates is 1 year older than Lander, that's a big deal comparing a HS Senior to a College Freshman. either way, it should be fun!

Reactions: mk23
i'm with rikki on this. Rob, surrounded by a blend of old and new players with this coach should be very productive.

Reactions: hatchetdad
Gonna be a very disappointed Lander if he doesn't start and/or play most of the game after having his name in the portal. I agree with most, but if Lander can get his confidence in order he is an incredible passer (Woody will see this) and if he has matured his 3 will start falling like he is capable of......many arguments here, but Lander could of transferred and had playing time to build his resume had he not been convinced otherwise.
I realize IU has many good guards just stating his case.

Gonna be a very disappointed Lander if he doesn't start and/or play most of the game after having his name in the portal. I agree with most, but if Lander can get his confidence in order he is an incredible passer (Woody will see this) and if he has matured his 3 will start falling like he is capable of......many arguments here, but Lander could of transferred and had playing time to build his resume had he not been convinced otherwise.
I realize IU has many good guards just stating his case.
Sounds more like many ifs...

Less pressure to stay where he started - he already rode/been ridden by the hypegeist apparatus once, why do that again? Wherever he is, and like everyone else, Lander is only ever going to make a real case on the Court.

Go get 'em K.

Less pressure to stay where he started - he already rode/been ridden by the hypegeist apparatus once, why do that again? Wherever he is, and like everyone else, Lander is only ever going to make a real case on the Court.

Go get 'em K.
Here’s an example of the “hypeheist” of which you speak:

Unless the B10 is better than I imagine, hard to see IU finishing out of the top five in Conference regardless of what the 'experts' say and could vie for the title. Would expect a starting five of Rob, Aljami, Armaan, Trayce and Race to be a very solid on both ends. As likely to see Armaan & Race trade spots with Joey & Jerome or some such and be just as strong. Add Khristian into that mix with Leal, Gernimo and Galloway off the bench and IU's looking at another deep and athletic Team. Like it.

Johnson
Stewart
Bates
Kopp
TJD
I think it will rotate some based on matchups, and maybe Bates doesn't start day 1 as a freshman, but I'd guess this will be the lineup we're using at the end of the year and maybe the one we'll see most often. I would guess Rob will start at the beginning of the year, and we may see Race instead of Kopp if we are playing a team with bigger post players.

Durr/TJD/Bates/Stewart/Johnson

Book it
I look at Durr as solely a relief for TJD if he’s in foul trouble or he might start some for matchup situations. Throw Kopp in that spot and you have a quality starting 5 with enough shooters and athleticism.

Game 1 starting lineup

Phinisee
Johnson
Kopp
Race
TJD

Phinisee will have to improve dramatically to keep his starting spot, as freshman Bates has a ton of tools and upside, but it will be Phinisee's job to lose opening night.

Reactions: kkott
I think it will rotate some based on matchups, and maybe Bates doesn't start day 1 as a freshman, but I'd guess this will be the lineup we're using at the end of the year and maybe the one we'll see most often. I would guess Rob will start at the beginning of the year, and we may see Race instead of Kopp if we are playing a team with bigger post players.
Guards would need to rebound with that lineup.

Ivey, Williams, Newman, Hunter, Stefanovic, oh and TKR off the bench at the 3. Figured I’d get this out of the way. Beat the PUke trolls to the punch.🤣

Ivey, Williams, Newman, Hunter, Stefanovic, oh and TKR off the bench at the 3. Figured I’d get this out of the way. Beat the PUke trolls to the punch.🤣
Newman is the 6th man. Gillis will start as soon as he comes back. Until then early bets are that Furst will start at 4.

for you guys I’d guess

Phinisee
Johnson
Kopp or Bates
Race or Kopp
TJD

Newman is the 6th man. Gillis will start as soon as he comes back. Until then early bets are that Furst will start at 4.

for you guys I’d guess

Phinisee
Johnson
Kopp or Bates
Race or Kopp
TJD
Newman has to be hating his decision at this point lol. Not even going to start until year 4.

And going back to the bench as a redshirt sophomore with guys like Hunter and Sasha in front of him.
Yep. Nothing wrong with that. He’s not a point guard and Sasha is a better shooter and passer. My personal opinion is he’ll still get starter type minutes backing up both Sasha and Ivey

There is very little info to go on for predicting starters but 4 of IU's players have a ton of Big Ten starts and that will matter. I'm guessing Xavier Johnson will probably start as well. It's too early to make predictions though.

Yep. Nothing wrong with that. He’s not a point guard and Sasha is a better shooter and passer. My personal opinion is he’ll still get starter type minutes backing up both Sasha and Ivey
Allegedly Ivey is going to be drafted as a pg next year. Why would he not run point and Newman at the 3. Hunter was terrible last year. Sasha may be a better shooter and passer, but he’s awful defensively. Newman is far better in the category, and really a better all around player.

I hope he stays on the bench this year though.

for you guys I’d guess

Phinisee
Johnson
Kopp or Bates
Race or Kopp
TJD
🤦🏻 It took a little sarcasm to derail this thread. I apologize.😂🤣🤣

Allegedly Ivey is going to be drafted as a pg next year. Why would he not run point and Newman at the 3. Hunter was terrible last year. Sasha may be a better shooter and passer, but he’s awful defensively. Newman is far better in the category, and really a better all around player.

I hope he stays on the bench this year though.
You’re usually spot on with your assessments. Glad you like Newman though. He and Gillis seem to be your favorites

Last edited:
Sasha is not a little bitch and you know that. However, if he's getting owned next year vs IU thats a good thing.

Guards would need to rebound with that lineup.
sure, but it's not a small lineup: 6'3", 6'5", 6'6", 6'7" and 6'9". Bigger than last year when we were starting Rob, Al, Race, TJD and Armaan, but maybe not as "rugged" if Race isn't in there. With all the 4 out talk, and Brunk leaving I'm just guessing he'll rotate Race/TJD, but I do hope they play Race or Durr with TJD and allow him the opportunity to push his O out on the floor a bit. He needs it to help his NBA stock.

Go get 'em K.
Agreed many ifs , but CAM may have somehow put pressure on his players where he should of shouldered it. Lander isn't the only player that underwhelmed on that team, but he seemed distracted, I mean he probably shot more air balls last year than his 3 years in high school combined. Better defense? yes Too much pressure YES.

"If' is the same as "may". Little about Lander's game as of last March suggests he'll start anytime soon, especially given Parker and Xavier transferring in. If he can outplay those two AND Rob AND Trey, Anthony and Tamar in practice, more power to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT