ADVERTISEMENT

IU -12.5

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Can you smell it? That sweet sweet fragrance is in the air my friends. Basketball is back. Our Hoosiers take the court tonight in a season that their success has been deemed unpredictable by most pundints . With an influx of athleticism and potential, this guy has high hopes.

Mackenzie is a bonafide stud, that will only grace the candy stripes for one year. We better grab a few crave boxes, sit back, and enjoy him while we can. Ware has showed potential unmatched by anyone to ever wear the cream and crimson. How Woody shapes him will directly impact the ceiling this year.

A veteran backcourt is exactly what IU has this year. No one in college basketball history has more experience then our 9th year senior Xavier Johnson. Let me tell you, the man is laser focused. Buckle up, that speed is unmatched. Gallo is entering his senior year, and will not have much put on his shoulders. If he can continue his scrappy ways and be a solid leader, not much more will be needed from him.

The bench is the upgrade of the off season. Adding Walker Sparks and Cupps, is a game changer. Those three give instant energy. I envision Woodson having a short leash in the effort department. Ass meet bench should be employed this year, it is only fitting. RIP coach.

Gunn, Banks, and Malik. Who will blossom? All have shown signs of improvement in the 2 exhibitions. Will one or two be able to breakout into a stud this year? Only time will tell.

All signs point to a rollercoaster season, and I got my fast pass. Pumped for another year of Hoosier basketball, lets make some noise!!!

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!

While I think IU wins, this game might not be the walk in the park some think. Pat Chambers teams play tough and hard and I wouldn't expect anything different tonight. FGCU returns it's top 3 scorers from last year who all shot well from 3 on some pretty good volume. Defend the 3 point line like they did in the first half against Marian, things could look dicey for awhile. Reneau should have a field day down low assuming he stays out of foul trouble and should be the difference maker in this game.

I love the early test! It'll be interesting to see how Cupps and Gunn fare against their returning perimeter players.

How well we guard on the perimeter is the main thing I'll be watching for.

And in my ongoing campaign pleading for IU to spread the offense out more, and play more outside/in...I hope we don't revert back to dribbling a lot and playing post and perimeter ISO ball... We can probably beat teams like FGCU by ISOing a lot in the post with Reneau, Ware, Sparks, Walker, etc... But I hope we keep moving more towards how we played against Marian for longer stretches. With the bigs out on the perimeter more, with a more open lane area, for longer stretches. Even if it risks losses. I think the long term payoff is much bigger.

Reactions: iu60
While I think IU wins, this game might not be the walk in the park some think. Pat Chambers teams play tough and hard and I wouldn't expect anything different tonight. FGCU returns it's top 3 scorers from last year who all shot well from 3 on some pretty good volume. Defend the 3 point line like they did in the first half against Marian, things could look dicey for awhile. Reneau should have a field day down low assuming he stays out of foul trouble and should be the difference maker in this game.
I agree. I'll be happy with a win either way it comes. Chambers will have them playing intense defense and will be a tough opponet. Hopefully IU wins the 2nd half battle. Xavier, this is your team. Tonight, it starts with you.

Can you smell it? That sweet sweet fragrance is in the air my friends. Basketball is back. Our Hoosiers take the court tonight in a season that their success has been deemed unpredictable by most pundints . With an influx of athleticism and potential, this guy has high hopes.

Mackenzie is a bonafide stud, that will only grace the candy stripes for one year. We better grab a few crave boxes, sit back, and enjoy him while we can. Ware has showed potential unmatched by anyone to ever wear the cream and crimson. How Woody shapes him will directly impact the ceiling this year.

A veteran backcourt is exactly what IU has this year. No one in college basketball history has more experience then our 9th year senior Xavier Johnson. Let me tell you, the man is laser focused. Buckle up, that speed is unmatched. Gallo is entering his senior year, and will not have much put on his shoulders. If he can continue his scrappy ways and be a solid leader, not much more will be needed from him.

The bench is the upgrade of the off season. Adding Walker Sparks and Cupps, is a game changer. Those three give instant energy. I envision Woodson having a short leash in the effort department. Ass meet bench should be employed this year, it is only fitting. RIP coach.

Gunn, Banks, and Malik. Who will blossom? All have shown signs of improvement in the 2 exhibitions. Will one or two be able to breakout into a stud this year? Only time will tell.

All signs point to a rollercoaster season, and I got my fast pass. Pumped for another year of Hoosier basketball, lets make some noise!!!

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!
Nice post. Not picking on you, but the one thing this team could be missing was that junior Tamar Bates that shoulda been a 15ppg scorer. Oh well, back to what we have. I hope CJ Gunn can handle playing this competition and not getting overwhelmed. I think people are expecting too much from him. Prove me wrong CJ and and show you're a valuable substitute.

Reactions: kkott

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!
Smell it? Hell, I can TASTE it! See you there.
Go Hoosiers!!!!!!!

I love the early test! It'll be interesting to see how Cupps and Gunn fare against their returning perimeter players.

How well we guard on the perimeter is the main thing I'll be watching for.

And in my ongoing campaign pleading for IU to spread the offense out more, and play more outside/in...I hope we don't revert back to dribbling a lot and playing post and perimeter ISO ball... We can probably beat teams like FGCU by ISOing a lot in the post with Reneau, Ware, Sparks, Walker, etc... But I hope we keep moving more towards how we played against Marian for longer stretches. With the bigs out on the perimeter more, with a more open lane area, for longer stretches. Even if it risks losses. I think the long term payoff is much bigger.
We are more athletic and play better defense.

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!
Thanks for stealing my thread.

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!
Was it a coincidence that you and I started the same thread (IU -12.5) at the same time?

ALL ABOARD!!!!!l

Uncle Ter, or UNC Leter!
Uncle Ter. 75 years old with a lot of nieces and nephews who have called me that. Actual name Terry. Started following IU in 1960. Walt Bellamy was my first favorite player. Turned the cold antenna many times to WTTV. From Scottsburg. Played for Jim Barley. Graduated from Hanover in 1971. Starting guard for John Collier that year. We weren’t very good following the great 1970 team. I may have a little basketball knowledge but obviously not as much as Cav. No UNC for this old man.

Th

ALL ABOARD!!!!!!
This team is going to be a work in progress. I am aboard.

Yup. They look like they don’t know what to do. X or someone needs to take over. All this length and we cannot get any post scores. Makes you appreciate Trayce all the more.
I don’t understand what we are trying to do on offense. Zero easy shots and we are getting bad X tonight on offense

They stopped the pnr. Won’t see teams guarding like that much. They had to guard us that way and jack threes to beat us. Didn’t work. Efficiency matters. My biggest problem was rebounding and guarding the perimeter. It made for an ugly game for sure.

Reactions: Willdog7 and kkott
They stopped the pnr. Won’t see teams guarding like that much. They had to guard us that way and jack threes to beat us. Didn’t work. Efficiency matters. My biggest problem was rebounding and guarding the perimeter. It made for an ugly game for sure.
We also had zero rhythm on offense and still missing way too many FT’s. We are best when we are pushing the ball. In the half court we are very stagnant

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
?? Reanu is our best post presence and was steady. Even Ware went hard to the basket a couple times, he's just so damn long he's awkward.
Nothing seemed easy around the bucket though. I think Malik is our best around the bucket but we need to feed him more in the post and clear

We also had zero rhythm on offense and still missing way too many FT’s. We are best when we are pushing the ball. In the half court we are very stagnant
I agree in this game especially but they did a good job forcing. Not many teams do what they do because it does leave the middle open. If this team hits 1-2 more 3s the game is over.

1st game and the new boys to the B1G were jolted into how hard they're going to have to play to get acceptable results. All the fouling by Gulf made IU offense even more ragged. Trey is the glue for the other 4 on the floor.
Must have photoshopped MR's head onto another body. What a change.
Cupps is a steal even with IUBB doing the recruiting.
Depending on how fast he can acclimate and learn Ware is poison to any opponent.
Where was MM during the 4th quarter?
D keeps you in the hunt.

1st game and the new boys to the B1G were jolted into how hard they're going to have to play to get acceptable results. All the fouling by Gulf made IU offense even more ragged. Trey is the glue for the other 4 on the floor.
Must have photoshopped MR's head onto another body. What a change.
Cupps is a steal even with IUBB doing the recruiting.
Depending on how fast he can acclimate and learn Ware is poison to any opponent.
Where was MM during the 4th quarter?
D keeps you in the hunt.
MM should be the outlet guy and they need to look for him more. He’s a shooter/scorer. This team needs to pass out of the post better.

Where was MM during the 4th quarter
where was the 4th quarter? Just kidding. MM wasn't doing much and CMW recognized going small with 3 guards might work; and it did. From all accounts MM didn't hang his head and was leading the cheers (not necessarily a given for a "star"). Great adjustment by Woody.

Nothing seemed easy around the bucket though. I think Malik is our best around the bucket but we need to feed him more in the post and clear
I thought he was effective, we just didn't specifically look for him a lot. CMW said he drew up the play after the timeout when we were down 42-48 and that was for MR and an and 1, and he was 6-10. How would you guard this team? Pack it in the lane and contest (foul in the first half) our bigs? Me too... FGCU too! That's a big reason why it didn't look easy.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
They were quicker and did not allow transition baskets.

?? Reanu is our best post presence and was steady. Even Ware went hard to the basket a couple times, he's just so damn long he's awkward.
We did better in 2H. Ware is definitely not comfortable in the post or at least, is not good with his footwork and being able to spin and get close to the rim. Reneau did much better 2H. We did a good job of posting up 8' from the rim and creating lanes for cutters or pass to another post player to get the bucket. It wasn't easy, but we did score in the post.

I thought he was effective, we just didn't specifically look for him a lot. CMW said he drew up the play after the timeout when we were down 42-48 and that was for MR and an and 1, and he was 6-10. How would you guard this team? Pack it in the lane and contest (foul in the first half) our bigs? Me too... FGCU too! That's a big reason why it didn't look easy.
Except they pressured the ball wherever we had it. I felt we had some opportunity down low but we don’t screen for anyone down low.
FT’s is a huge concern in my opinion…along with empty possession. We had a total of 10 minutes in the first half without scoring a bucket. That can’t happen in todays game.

Played out a little like I thought it would. Probably would have put the game away a little sooner had they gone with the 3 guard lineup earlier in the 2nd half, but watching the Marian game and our inability to rotate and closeout on the perimeter gave me some concern picking a blowout win.

Played out a little like I thought it would. Probably would have put the game away a little sooner had they gone with the 3 guard lineup earlier in the 2nd half, but watching the Marian game and our inability to rotate and closeout on the perimeter gave me some concern picking a blowout win.
And this was before you/we knew their best player wasn't going to be playing. If he had played, it very well could have been a loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT